Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Could I use this as a bore scope?

I'd sure as hell like you to give it a try.

It's definitely too cumbersome to use in a professional environment, but for a geeky laptop-toting garage warrior that's about perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Any recommendations for waste fluid storage? When I did all my fluid changes at my parents house I never had to worry about recycling anything. My dad would take all my used oil/atf/diff lube and throw it in his chainsaw as bar and chain oil. I found a 3 gallon jug on Amazon, but I'd like something a little bigger, maybe with a built in funnel. I drive a Dodge Ram so transport is a non issue.

If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd just get a 55 gallon drum :haw:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Strawberry posted:

Any recommendations for waste fluid storage? When I did all my fluid changes at my parents house I never had to worry about recycling anything. My dad would take all my used oil/atf/diff lube and throw it in his chainsaw as bar and chain oil. I found a 3 gallon jug on Amazon, but I'd like something a little bigger, maybe with a built in funnel. I drive a Dodge Ram so transport is a non issue.

Something like this?

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...CFc5AMgod42YAbQ

As far as disposal, any decent quick lube will take your used oil.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

That's sure to be awesome in the corner next to the kitchen table wedged against the Formica cabinets.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

West SAAB Story posted:

That's sure to be awesome in the corner next to the kitchen table wedged against the Formica cabinets.

Throw waste cooking oil in there too. :haw:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

mod sassinator posted:

Throw waste cooking oil in there too. :haw:

"NO BIODIESEL WASTE FROM UNPURE COOKING OIL!"

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Strawberry posted:

Big drums are a pain in the rear end, the best system I've ever come up with is to just use oil buckets (the 5 or 6.5 gallon buckets with pour spouts that hydraulic oil/other bulk oil comes in) and just fill one or two up. Drums are really, really heavy.

They work best if you can get buckets that never had the lid removed, just the pull up spout used. Fill it with a funnel instead of opening the big lid and they don't leak.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Strawberry posted:

Do you really want giant drums of oil sitting in your apartment? If you buy oil by the 1gal jug, the easiest/cheapest way is to pour the oil into the empty container(s) the new oil came into. They seal and store well, and you can recycle it at any auto parts store at your earliest convenience.

Word of warning: kitty litter containers seem perfect (high capacity, large openings, free) but will crack and leak and make a huge mess, so don't be tempted to use them for waste oil storage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just use the jugs the the oil comes in and any excess goes into windshield washer fluid bottles. I go through washer fluid far faster than any other automotive fluid so there's always a few bottles lying around.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I use a 4 or 5 gallon gas container.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I totally forgot about that camera on a stick. Damnit!

Also it was only reading AI that I recently learned there is such a thing as washer fluid. I know sometimes I've bought this Bars bugs stuff that helps loosen insta-baked insects that a squirt of is added to the reservoir but that's about it.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Hypnolobster posted:

Big drums are a pain in the rear end, the best system I've ever come up with is to just use oil buckets (the 5 or 6.5 gallon buckets with pour spouts that hydraulic oil/other bulk oil comes in) and just fill one or two up. Drums are really, really heavy.

They work best if you can get buckets that never had the lid removed, just the pull up spout used. Fill it with a funnel instead of opening the big lid and they don't leak.

Never thought of those 5 gallon buckets. Perfect.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
On this same subject, how do you get rid of large amounts of old oil? I have around 10 gallons of mixed oil that keeps piling up and I don't know how to dispose of it. Doesn't Autozone limit you to a certain amount?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

revmoo posted:

On this same subject, how do you get rid of large amounts of old oil? I have around 10 gallons of mixed oil that keeps piling up and I don't know how to dispose of it. Doesn't Autozone limit you to a certain amount?

They all do, but I got My local W**M*** to take 15 gallons once because I was there right after pickup, we talked shop for a few minutes beforehand, and I wasn't a huge dick to them despite them trying to upsell me on bullshit when I was getting a balance - including the infamous 'need new tires' scam when they had over 7/32nds and weren't cupping in the slights.. just a couple semi-bent rims.

Worst case, you find where multiple oil-accept stations are in a close proximity, and make the rounds. Then, don't let it stack up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

revmoo posted:

Around here they don't care. Try quicklubes, too, they get their waste oil picked up by a truck every week or month or so. When I worked at one we never cared how much people brought in, we just made them help pour it out if it was in too many different containers.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's great advice, I have a Valvoline up the street I will go talk to them.

Seems like fryer oil, don't recyclers pay for it?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Am I the only guy that puts all his old chemicals in the parts car before the junkyard guy comes to get it?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

daslog posted:

Am I the only guy that puts all his old chemicals in the parts car before the junkyard guy comes to get it?

Wait, "Parts Car" isn't a regressive thing in your world? It's parts cars all the way down.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I've got a 5 gallon one of these:

It's the best thing ever for oil. Even if it's full, it's not unmanageably heavy so you can't get in trouble by being lazy and overfilling it to the point where you can't move it. That metal ring goes around the bottom rim of the lid and the lip on top of the drum and holds the lid in place, which is lined with a thick rubber gasket. These are designed to securely transport fairly nasty poo poo, so you just have to snap the metal thing down to lock it and it won't leak a drop (unless the ring pops off), even if it falls over. There are little holes that line up where the end of the ring snaps down so you can use a little luggage lock or a zip tie to hold it shut. Nice, big wide opening up top too, so the poor slob who has to dump it doesn't have to sit there for 10 minutes while 5 gallons of nasty old oil glugs out and splashes on him. Last time I dropped oil off at the Zone, the guy asked me where I got it and if I could hook him up. :lol:

I get them free from work - they become available from time to time, and I try to grab them when I see them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

revmoo posted:

That's great advice, I have a Valvoline up the street I will go talk to them.

Seems like fryer oil, don't recyclers pay for it?

I think they do, but not sure. I actually worked at a valvoline (the one in Haverhill MA on River Street if you want to google stalk it and see if you can see me sitting in the parking lot on lunch break in 03/04/05) and I can tell you not a single person there cared how much people brought in to recycle. We got weekly pickups from the recycling company. We also ran our shop heaters on the waste heat in the fall/winter/spring, which was real nice, they were designed for it of course and it saved the company quite a bit of money since the fullheight shop doors were constantly opening or closing and letting all the heat out.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I buy paint buckets from whatever home improvement store has them on sale, then take them to the local household waste dump. I get tired of the parts stores always having their bin full, ALWAYS. Those dumps are awesome if you have one nearby.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does anyone take old coolant or do you need to find a special dump?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Dump in on your driveway and collect dead animals! obviously kidding. Once again, quick lubes usually dont give a poo poo to dispose of it for you. Any business is good business. FACT most places loose money doing oil changes but do it just so they can sell you cabin filters and batteries and poo poo.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Do dumps where you guys are not take used oil? Almost every one I've been to in the UK accepts used oil & containers, it all just gets slopped into a big tank.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I thought glycol-based coolants were safe to dump down the drain (seriously)?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

revmoo posted:

I thought glycol-based coolants were safe to dump down the drain (seriously)?

No way in hell. RV Antifreeze (the red stuff), yes, but not car poo poo.

Our dump takes oil and coolant. I bring it in in 5 gallon pails, or 5qt containers. They just ask me to dump it in, so they don't have to stand there and hold the bottles.

As for mixed products (oil/gas, oil/coolant), waste gas, and waste brake fluid; I wait for hazardous waste disposal days. That's the only way to rid yourself of that poo poo.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

sharkytm posted:

No way in hell. RV Antifreeze (the red stuff), yes, but not car poo poo.
EPA does not treat ethylene glycol car antifreeze as hazardous waste unless it has levels of lead or other contaminants that exceed EPA guidelines. Local state laws can be more strict. Generally speaking, you can't dump antifreeze into ditches, storm drains or septic systems, but it can be safely and legally dumped into sewer systems that have wastewater treatment plants equipped to process it. Damned near all wastewater treatment plants can treat the antifreeze itself because ethylene glycol is broken down pretty much the same way as poo poo and toilet paper, but wastewater treatment plants are going to be paranoid about trace contaminants in your antifreeze elevating their sludge above EPA permissible limits and will probably tell you not to do it, especially if they're close to the limits already. So, you probably can simply flush it down the toilet, but need to check with your city before you do.

Really, the best way to dispose of it is to take it to a recycling center.

Or you could dispose of it the soviet way and drink it :ussr:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Again the biggest reason for not dumping antifreeze outdoors is animals are attracted to the sweetness of it, eat it and promptly die.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just want to brag: $29 Ryobi Angle Grinder from Home Depot, this managed to cut through metals it isn't even rated to cut, and then chopped a couple of solid CV shafts in half.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Oooh just remembered the Matco guy is bringing me these today.

ITS LIKE CHRISTMAS! only for money

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I just want to brag: $29 Ryobi Angle Grinder from Home Depot, this managed to cut through metals it isn't even rated to cut, and then chopped a couple of solid CV shafts in half.

I've got a pair of these and a craftsman... the Ryobis are better. Cutoff wheels on one Ryobi, flapwheel or grinding wheel on another, knotted wirewheels on the Craftsman. Makes welding/fabrication so much faster when you don't have to keep swapping wheels.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What kind of ramps do you guys like?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Finally got a chance to use my Milwaukee M18 impact wrench today to change the lower control arm on my WRX. It took the wheels, sway bar end links, and the castle nut on the ball joint off pretty easily. It couldn't do the three remaining bolts on the LCA and I had to switch to an air impact. I'm a little disappointed, but those are some of the toughest bolts I'll come across on my car, and I didn't use any PB blaster.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

blk posted:

the sort that don't collapse? Mine are the standard L section welded steel frame ones and they seem as strong as all hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blk posted:

I used to have a set of ramps, but now I just use a floor jack and jack stands. Just easier for me, even though its more work.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

velocross posted:

Harbor freight sells this: http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html
Decent reviews, but never tried it for myself.

Late to the party on this but...

We have one of these at work and have done lots of large gauge crimping with it. It's fine except the dies are all way too small for their marked AWG -- even the largest (00 AWG) was too small for 2 AWG. I have re-machined them to have the appropriate cross section for a wire + crimp. More effort than most people would want to put in. I bought this tool back in 2010 and they may have addressed this by now. Judging by the photos, that's a no.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Neptr posted:

Finally got a chance to use my Milwaukee M18 impact wrench today to change the lower control arm on my WRX. It took the wheels, sway bar end links, and the castle nut on the ball joint off pretty easily. It couldn't do the three remaining bolts on the LCA and I had to switch to an air impact. I'm a little disappointed, but those are some of the toughest bolts I'll come across on my car, and I didn't use any PB blaster.

its only rated to 450ft/lb, which for an 18v impact gun is loving impressive.

I need to get a new air gun for my collection, my poor old Ingersol Rand is getting very drat tired.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

its only rated to 450ft/lb, which for an 18v impact gun is loving impressive.

I need to get a new air gun for my collection, my poor old Ingersol Rand is getting very drat tired.

Has to be better than my Supercheap rattlegun. That thing got so weak so fast. But I guess I did kill it trying to undo wheel nuts that I also sheared a tyre iron with a hardwood 3x5 lashed on to it. Whoever did them up that tight needed a punch in the nuts.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I have an electric impact gun, does about 250ft/lbs with a 1/2" drive on the end of it. Out of curiosity, if I have the right adapters and sockets, could I use it to drive screws into wood? I'm just wondering if there's any fundamental difference between an automotive impact gun vs. a carpenters impact driver like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMzfjTbLcEw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

whiskas posted:

I have an electric impact gun, does about 250ft/lbs with a 1/2" drive on the end of it. Out of curiosity, if I have the right adapters and sockets, could I use it to drive screws into wood? I'm just wondering if there's any fundamental difference between an automotive impact gun vs. a carpenters impact driver like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMzfjTbLcEw

It'll snap them off.
I've tried with my Earthquake. Its simply too powerful for drywall screws or wood screws. It'll handle lags nicely, though.

Why not just get an impact screwgun? They aren't expensive, and are very useful.