Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

My interest is that I like TF/Battlefield-esque games and it sounds like the game came out lovely, but with the potential to be patched into a solid game, but it pretty much got swept under the rug after its bad reputation and bad launch sent everyone fleeing. If they fixed the launch issues and people are actually playing it, then maybe I'll drop $10 or something on it, but if it's still poo poo or nobody's playing, then forget it.

If you can get a large-ish group of friends together, I can see it being a lot of fun at a LAN party. It's definitely been patched into a solid game. The servers are basically deserted though, and playing with more than a couple of bots per team leaves a lot to be desired.

Alternatives could be Enemy Territory which I think still has an active community, or wait for Splash Damage's next game Dirty Bomb, which is basically Brink 2. It'll be F2P though, so it may have other problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Sidequests in Borderlands 2 scale to when you accept them, so if you accept a bunch of quests to do later you'll find that they're easy and the rewards are crap.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Count Chocula posted:

Sidequests in Borderlands 2 scale to when you accept them, so if you accept a bunch of quests to do later you'll find that they're easy and the rewards are crap.

Not true.
I've recently left most of the sidequests in Sanctuary open and did some other stuff on the side, and even some 5 levels later they're still at the level they were when I got to Sanctuary and I had tons of level 8 and 9 quests when I was already at 13.

E: And by leaving them open, I mean not even touching the quest so they'd still be set to "(Undiscovered)" in the quest list, if they showed up there at all.

In fact, this is honestly my biggest complaint about the game right now and kind of keeping me from wanting to play it even.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 3, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Burning Mustache posted:

Not true.
I've recently left most of the sidequests in Sanctuary open and did some other stuff on the side, and even some 5 levels later they're still at the level they were when I got to Sanctuary and I had tons of level 8 and 9 quests when I was already at 13.

E: And by leaving them open, I mean not even touching the quest so they'd still be set to "(Undiscovered)" in the quest list, if they showed up there at all.

In fact, this is honestly my biggest complaint about the game right now and kind of keeping me from wanting to play it even.
This only applies to the second playthrough, not the first; in the first all of them are set at a given level. The reason the tip is important at all is that some sidequests give unique, one-time rewards when you complete them that scale to the level of the quest in PT2 - it is therefore recommended to avoid these quests until you reach level 50 and the items are maxed out, as some of them are used in top-tier builds.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

theshim posted:

This only applies to the second playthrough, not the first; in the first all of them are set at a given level. The reason the tip is important at all is that some sidequests give unique, one-time rewards when you complete them that scale to the level of the quest in PT2 - it is therefore recommended to avoid these quests until you reach level 50 and the items are maxed out, as some of them are used in top-tier builds.

Ah, right. I haven't done a PT2 in BL2 yet because I'd rather try a new character I haven't played yet. Oh well. Too bad :(

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to skip the Witcher 1 and start playing the 2nd ,which I heard improves everything for the better. I played about an hour of the first one, so can anyone give me a short version of the plot, or will the intro movie (if it exists) suffice?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burning Mustache posted:

Not true.

You're looking at it the wrong way, especially given your followup post of -

Burning Mustache posted:

Ah, right. I haven't done a PT2 in BL2 yet because I'd rather try a new character I haven't played yet. Oh well. Too bad :(

If you have enough quests that you've got some left undone until they're worthless, go do those ones on your next character :v:.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Madcosby posted:

I'm going to skip the Witcher 1 and start playing the 2nd ,which I heard improves everything for the better. I played about an hour of the first one, so can anyone give me a short version of the plot, or will the intro movie (if it exists) suffice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooYNlv5aoEc

e: The Witcher 2 megathread is super helpful if you have any more questions!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm playing Mark of the Ninja, and I'm loving it. It has the conceit of making the enemies quite noticeable, which puts you at an information advantage and hence a position of power and I'm sneaking everywhere stabbing everyone from the shadows. However, there are a couple of mechanics I don't get.

Terrifying guards. What causes it? Seeing someone killed by a trap or an environmental hazard in front of them? Throwing dead bodies around? Or what? And does it trigger a radio call and an alarm? And if it doesn't, why not?

And in what cases do enemies trigger alarms and in what cases do they not?

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 4, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Phobophilia posted:

Terrifying guards. What causes it? Seeing someone killed by a trap or an environmental hazard in front of them? Throwing dead bodies around? Or what? And does it trigger a radio call and an alarm? And if it doesn't, why not?
You do get a few moves and abilities that make terrifying guards much easier (Terror darts, Hangman's Hymn, Path of Terror). As far as I know, the only way to terrify them without any items/upgrades is to throw a a body at them from the darkness.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, if they're surprised by a death - something getting flung at them from the shadows, a friend's torso suddenly exploding from a mine, etc - they'll go into OH poo poo mode and start acting erratically. There are items and armor which explicitly mention they'll terrify though.

Also, I think enemies will only raise the alarm if they find a corpse and aren't terrified - i.e. any situation where it's obvious you're involved and they're lucid. Guards freaking out and opening fire all over the place, or a single guard getting hit by shurikens without seeing you? No alarm. Coming across a corpse on the ground or seeing you duck into the shadows? :supaburn:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're looking at it the wrong way, especially given your followup post of -

If you have enough quests that you've got some left undone until they're worthless, go do those ones on your next character :v:.

Well the thing is I already did one playthrough where I basically 100%ed the game and I was constantly overleveled. I want to do more playthroughs (especially since I haven't touched any of the DLC yet), but I'd rather do those with a new character, and starting one will leave me constantly overleveled again because unfortunately the entire leveling mechanics are pretty stupid, in an otherwise loving excellent game :\

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've just started playing Aria of Sorrow.

There's only one hint in the wiki, and even though I don't feel like I'm missing anything I'm wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for.

Also is power levelling a thing in this game?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Centipeed posted:

I've just started playing Aria of Sorrow.

There's only one hint in the wiki, and even though I don't feel like I'm missing anything I'm wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for.

Also is power levelling a thing in this game?

It's a fairly straightforward (and awesome) game, but here's a couple more tips:

-Early-game bosses don't always drop their souls when you kill them, but that's because they reappear as regular enemies later on. So if you're trying to 100% the game don't sweat it when the first few bosses fail to give you a soul.

-There's a late-game boss with multiple sections that you can damage. In order to get its soul, you need to destroy all of its segments before killing it.

-In order to get through the waterfall, you need one of the souls that makes you huge and do a charging attack (Devil, Curly, or Manticore).

-The game is fond of hiding rooms behind breakable ceilings and floors (and not just walls), so keep an eye out for those.

You can't really powerlevel as getting multiple copies of the same soul doesn't make that soul stronger (as in Dawn of Sorrow), but the game's not too difficult so it isn't necessary. Plus, once you get the Lightning Doll soul all others are obsolete :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 4, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything of particular interest I should know about Black Mesa? It's been years and years since I've played Half Life 1-2 (and I mostly messed around with the NPC spawn commands when I did)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Anything of particular interest I should know about Black Mesa? It's been years and years since I've played Half Life 1-2 (and I mostly messed around with the NPC spawn commands when I did)

It's Half-Life 1 with better graphics. Run run run, shoot shoot shoot.

And you climb by holding crouch while jumping in case you forgot. The game literally tells you this while you're playing but apparently some people are really obtuse.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Phobophilia posted:

I'm playing Mark of the Ninja, and I'm loving it. It has the conceit of making the enemies quite noticeable, which puts you at an information advantage and hence a position of power and I'm sneaking everywhere stabbing everyone from the shadows. However, there are a couple of mechanics I don't get.

And in what cases do enemies trigger alarms and in what cases do they not?

Enemies are terrified by...
- Seeing a hanging body (Hangman's hymn upgrade)
- Seeing a "moving" body, i.e. bodies falling or getting thrown into their field of view. Be careful they don't see you as you are throwing it, or they will jump to the alert state instead of the terror state.
- Witnessing a friend die to a trap (if he dies to a trap and they later see the stationary body, no terror)
- Items and upgrades specifically noted as causing terror

Enemies trigger alarms if they see you directly, or if they find a stationary body. Terrified enemies don't call on the radio because they're not thinking clearly and are too freaked out to take their hands off their gun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

al-azad posted:

And you climb by holding crouch while jumping in case you forgot. The game literally tells you this while you're playing but apparently some people are really obtuse.
Huh. That could have saved me a number of embarrassing deaths. I don't remember doing that in HL1-2 - is it a part of whatever way they hosed up the jump height?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Huh. That could have saved me a number of embarrassing deaths. I don't remember doing that in HL1-2 - is it a part of whatever way they hosed up the jump height?

Crouch-jumping was in the original Half-Life and even part of the tutorial. You need to do it for the long jump as well.

I don't know if Black Mesa really has screwed up jumping height but if you dislike it you can edit the skill.cfg which has variables for everything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

Crouch-jumping was in the original Half-Life and even part of the tutorial. You need to do it for the long jump as well.

Using crouch to climb, obviously. Come on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Using crouch to climb, obviously. Come on.

It's not really a climb, per se. When you crouch in Half-Life you don't shrink in height, you pull your legs up. I'm 99% positive you have to do this in the original tutorial but I don't remember having to use it very often.

But Black Mesa specifically tells you about crouch-jumping/climbing and you can't progress past the first 10 minutes after you exit the test chamber without doing it.

e: Go to the skill.cfg and edit vertical jump speed from 160 to 200. This will give you a proper jump that lets you vault waist high objects without the need to crouch. It should make things go a lot smoother because the default jump height is literally to short to step over a knee high box.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 4, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What, you guys haven't spent enough time playing TF2 and HL2 to be able to crouchjump in the middle of a run?

Plebians. :smugbert:

No, I'm kidding, seriously, do that thing that al-azad suggested. It doesn't let you sequence break, just makes it so you don't have to remember to hold control every time you wanna jump something.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mzbundifund posted:

Enemies are terrified by...
- Seeing a hanging body (Hangman's hymn upgrade)
- Seeing a "moving" body, i.e. bodies falling or getting thrown into their field of view. Be careful they don't see you as you are throwing it, or they will jump to the alert state instead of the terror state.
- Witnessing a friend die to a trap (if he dies to a trap and they later see the stationary body, no terror)
- Items and upgrades specifically noted as causing terror

Enemies trigger alarms if they see you directly, or if they find a stationary body. Terrified enemies don't call on the radio because they're not thinking clearly and are too freaked out to take their hands off their gun.

Terrifying a group of enemies by hanging one of them when no one's looking is a great way to clear some rooms, since they'll all start shooting each other. You can also hang an enemy and then make a sound to lure another into spotting the body. Just make sure you're well out of the way so you don't take a stray bullet or two.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
My absolute most satisfying Mark of the Ninja moments have been from frightening a guard and having the rest kill each other. Bonus points if the last guy walks backwards off a cliff and dies too.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I was about to ask, but as it's a short-ish game I completed it before getting around to asking. So here is some unsolicited advice for Dead Space 3 that I wish I knew before playing.

* Always carry some sort of close-range weapon, or a weapon that lets you knock back enemies in a circle around you. DS3 loves to spawn necromorphs right on top of you, or behind you, and corridors are usually narrow and short. In most fights you will need to handle something chewing on your face at some point. A heavy frame with a Hydraulic Engine in Lower Tool + Conic Dispersal tip works well for giving yourself breathing room.

* Forget zooms of any kind. You rarely have the terrain to properly snipe and they leave you vulnerable to blindsiding. Use classic targeting if you have trouble aiming at long range.

* Consider carefully when to unlock circuits on limited frames. The slots stay unlocked even if you dismantle the tool, but the name of the frame doesn't change, so if you have several, you will still just see it as a stack of "Compact Standard Frame" and it becomes hard to keep track of whether some of those have unlocks or not. That said, unlocking is pretty cheap.

* Throughout the game, Tungsten is your most limited resource. It drops rarely from kills, but you generally rely on your scavenger bots for this. Always carry one (and only one) Tungsten Torque Bar. You never find two rooms without a bench between them, letting you craft a new one.

* Contrary to the previous installments, headshots are mostly a good tactic, along with classic tactics like shooting off legs. Headshots won't work on some of the larger enemies you find in the late game, but for man-sized or smaller enemies, taking off the head will severely limit their ability to charge you. Headshots are the quickest way to take down non-necromorph enemies as well.

* Strongly consider carrying a sniper rifle (military engine + precision tip) without any zoom for chapter 15 and 16 somewhere in your arsenal. You'll know why when you get there.

* Don't be afraid to switch up your weapons. Benches are plentiful, you can get all components back by dismantling a weapon, and the game will from time to time change the enemy types and terrain, thereby changing what tools work best. The old trusty Plasma Cutter will work in most of these situations (especially with the Planet Cracker tip if you played through DS2), but it is not always ideal.

* The cost of a Blueprint will go down if you have some or all of the parts it needs. The cost it lists is the cost to make the parts you do not have, or which you already use for other weapons. If you create a blueprint of a favorite weapon before dismantling, it is easy to put it back together if experimenting with its parts didn't work out.

* Never dismantle the Probe gun. It's a plot item and you cannot use the parts for anything else.

* From what I can tell, the "Support" type augmentations do nothing for you in a Solo campaign.

* You can set down scavenger bots anywhere, but it is only worthwhile to do it on the "ping" on their radar. When you first find one, follow the radar by aiming, then set it down once the image changes to a target. They take 10 minutes to work by default, and will automatically return to any bench afterwards.

* As long as you are not wasteful with Tungsten, and you pick up weapon parts you find, simply picking up drops and using the bots where you can, should be enough to see you through the game. Don't feel like you need to farm or pay for bot expansions.

* Suit upgrades carry between suits. The only difference besides looks is the inventory space.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
* The Ration Seals you get from Scavenger bots are used to buy DLC Resource Packs. You get a LOT of tungsten this way if you're using your bots often.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GhostBoy posted:

Dead Space 3

Just to add to this, try and keep a Line Gun as one of your four weapon tips. It's a good general weapon and it never stops being useful.

* The hydraulic engine is insanely useful in close-quarters levels (the second over-arching area for example), just make sure you have a conical tip attached so you swing the weapon around. It only uses ammo on a successful hit, so there's nothing wrong with swinging wildly when you get boxed in.

* The stasis attachment pairs really well with a military or telemetry spike engine if you use a rapid-fire tip of some sort. Everything that gets hit slows down and you can pick apart the frozen targets.

* If you want a more "conventional" weapon like a shotgun or assault rifle, use a telemetry spike engine to build the chaingun or rivet shotgun rather than the military variants. They shred Necromorphs to pieces much better and have bigger clips.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

You can pick up thrown grenades now (requires slightly better reflexes than mine) as well as sentry guns (preferably from behind, so they don't shoot you up). Once you pick up a sentry, it will shoot at everyone, including marines. It only has enough ammo to down 3-4 marines though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh yeah, and you can pick up health/ammo/suit repairs even when you're at 100% and throw them around. You probably shouldn't go through the game while dragging heaps of unused items with you,but all the the carts in On a Rail can actually hold these items (therefore being far superior vehicles to anything in Half Life 2)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Doesn't when the tram is moving up a slope, sorry.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Crusader Kings II? I am so goddamn lost.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sociopastry posted:

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sim City 4? The burden of building my very first city weighs heavily on me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Sim City 4? The burden of building my very first city weighs heavily on me.

Depends how much you want to 'game' the system. If you run a deficit for awhile, you get 'special offers' like building a missile testing ground and whatnot. These bring in good income, but lower the value of surrounding areas. Not a problem if you're playing a bigger plot, just throw them off in a corner, don't worry about giving them power or water as they don't need it -- they'll still generate income.

As a general rule, start off with agricultural areas. They don't really need utilities either, at least not for awhile. Try to keep taxes around 8-9% (except for getting the special deals as above, just undertax people for awhile until you run a deficit for a few months running). SC4 isn't really a hard game, just build slowly, going from agricultural to low density housing and commercial, keep dirty industry near the farms since they are all pretty large polluters. For the more advanced stuff like laying out freeways and mass transit, that goes beyond the scope of a comment box, there are plenty of resources online.

If you keep education underfunded for awhile, you'll get a 'free' private school. IDK if there's any downsides but it ups your education rating so I always try to get one or two.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm seriously having trouble with Dawn of War 2 - Retribution. Dawn of War 2? No problem. Chaos Rising's ridiculous final boss? Took him down. But Retribution changes up the mechanics, has limited resources, and apparently I can't reinforce my squads? I'm playing as the Imperium and even though the Commander has an ability that says "REINFORCE SQUADS" I keep dropping a drat drop pod in the middle of battle anddddd nothing. The second mission alone has you going up against an invincible tank playing a war of attrition as you wade through vehicles and plague marines blocking a tiny choke point. I know the Imperium thematically is supposed to get their rear end kicked but this is ridiculous.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Anything for Pathologic? The wiki page is... sparse. Are there any improved translations?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sociopastry posted:

Video Guide for Newbies

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

al-azad posted:

I'm seriously having trouble with Dawn of War 2 - Retribution. Dawn of War 2? No problem. Chaos Rising's ridiculous final boss? Took him down. But Retribution changes up the mechanics, has limited resources, and apparently I can't reinforce my squads? I'm playing as the Imperium and even though the Commander has an ability that says "REINFORCE SQUADS" I keep dropping a drat drop pod in the middle of battle anddddd nothing. The second mission alone has you going up against an invincible tank playing a war of attrition as you wade through vehicles and plague marines blocking a tiny choke point. I know the Imperium thematically is supposed to get their rear end kicked but this is ridiculous.
To reinforce squads, you have to be near a reinforcement point (which is any structure that lets you build the squad in question, plus whatever the hero abilities may grant), and click on the little green button in the squads picture. It should have something like "6/8" beneath it. Each click spends resources to call in another member, up to the limit. I'm guessing that is the step that is eluding you.

The pod just gives you a reinforcement point in the field, rather than having to retreat. You still have to actually make the reinforcement happen by moving the squad close and clicking the button. The super-heavy also acts as a mobile reinforcement point I think.

Some things cannot be reinforced (like tanks), but must be repaired by someone with that ability.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GhostBoy posted:

To reinforce squads, you have to be near a reinforcement point (which is any structure that lets you build the squad in question, plus whatever the hero abilities may grant), and click on the little green button in the squads picture. It should have something like "6/8" beneath it. Each click spends resources to call in another member, up to the limit. I'm guessing that is the step that is eluding you.

The pod just gives you a reinforcement point in the field, rather than having to retreat. You still have to actually make the reinforcement happen by moving the squad close and clicking the button. The super-heavy also acts as a mobile reinforcement point I think.

Some things cannot be reinforced (like tanks), but must be repaired by someone with that ability.

The game just gave me a loading tip explaining reinforcement. Thanks for waiting so long, guys, but better late than never explaining an important mechanic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wait, there's no entry for Dishonored in the wiki? How can that be!?

So, usual questions, plus a mechanics one. I think there's some kind of shadow system in the stealth, but how powerful is it?