Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
:stare:

I wouldn't discount the merit of that as psychological warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Fortunately, easter been so thoroughly secularized that the easter bunny no longer has any more religious significance than santa claus, so it's not considered proselytizing. Please tell me they have easter baskets full of hand grenades, though.

iyaayas01 posted:

That would be VF-111, the Sundowners. Initially VF-11, the squadron was established in 1942, and chose the name to epitomize their spirit and superiority over the Japanese. Here's their squadron patch:
To add to that: the Japanese battle flag represents a rising sun. VF-11 tailart is a setting sun. Completely different. Why do people confuse the two?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From Syria, if life gives you lemons...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Brown Moses posted:

Everytime you post in this thread I think to myself "Those Syrians are some scrappy glass half full mother-fuckers."

Edit:

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 4, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I want the full video of that. :stare:

Also, Jolly Rogers Tomcats best Tomcats:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

I want the full video of that. :stare:

Also, Jolly Rogers Tomcats best Tomcats:

Really the Jolly Rogers and the Sun Downers have always had the best paint schemes.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6LWNQqs7TE

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 4, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Goddam bunnyhoppers are ruining counterstrike.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

Booblord Zagats posted:

Everytime you post in this thread I think to myself "Those Syrians are some scrappy glass half full mother-fuckers."

Edit:

That was from some viral poo poo for the new old planet of the apes movie. It's probably on youtube still.

VVV that's what I get for not clicking the youtubes.

aioli is just mayo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 6, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rigel posted:

That was from some viral poo poo for the new old planet of the apes movie. It's probably on youtube still.

Yep, thats the youtube I posted

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Brown Moses posted:

Stuff like this is really common in former warzones too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They're only the bitchinest flower pots in the whole world.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

That reminds me of a comic strip I saw years ago. The son was in artillery, and he kept sending empty casings to his family. They were using casings as umbrella holders, flowerpots, end tables, etc. I can't remember if it was The Far Side or something else. it predates the Internet, so I know it wasn't some web comic.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
http://i.imgur.com/kSWcciO.jpg

What's this? Someone told me it was a GBU-20.

V my bad, GBU-28

aioli is just mayo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 7, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's no such thing. The nose kit suggests a laser-guided bomb, and it's got narrow tail fins. It's hard to get a sense of scale but it looks big. I'm guessing it's either a GBU 12, 16, or 10 (500 lb, 1000 lb, 2000 lb, respectively).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Really think it was photoshopped. Any Paveway kit from Paveway II on is going to have spring loaded tail fins that pop out when the bomb is released. Those aren't on there, it looks like a bomb prior to release where the tail fins haven't popped out yet...like if you took a picture of one sitting on the ground.

fake edit: I guess maybe they could've failed to actuate or something. Do you know where it was supposedly taken? Russian munitions have a distinctive look compared to US/Western munitions, and that really looks like a US Paveway LGB...so if it was supposedly taken in Syria that would be a pretty big red flag (while Libya or somewhere Israel was bombing would still be plausible).

e: This is what I'm talking about :

e2: No way that is a GBU-28...it just so happens that's what is in the picture I posted as an example of the tail fins popping out is a GBU-28. The proportions are all off in relation to the tail kit and CCG on the front, and there's no hardback assembly visible in the picture.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 7, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The photo is seven years old and possibly a photoshop, if that helps explain the odd perspective and scale

E: it's supposedly an Israeli bomb dropped on a Hamas HQ in Gaza in '07

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I am un-American because I made fun of this guy with his rifle and stupid vest. He personally messaged me saying he is an independent veteran rider who been deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan and is a SSG and something and something. I linked him to the mini van with all those stickers and said he's the biker version of ERB on the back of my truck.

Ninja Edit: My FB got spammed with pictures of his vest because I said lol. He has a Hog vest. Top is Iraq, bottom Afghanistan. Middle one is a skull with the old school eye goggle, with something about VETERAN. The Harley Davidson logo is Harley Davidson Kabul, and there's a few more with IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN veteran on it.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 7, 2013

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
i dont see your big issue with his dumb vest bikers love tons of dumb patches on their vests, if it wasnt that itd be some picture of satan or some hot sluts or like i dunno a dude in a sombrero or some christian stuff with dumb patches everywhere looking like a mobile hot topic patch store

the retarded open carry thing however is, indeed, "lol"

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mad Dragon posted:

That reminds me of a comic strip I saw years ago. The son was in artillery, and he kept sending empty casings to his family. They were using casings as umbrella holders, flowerpots, end tables, etc. I can't remember if it was The Far Side or something else. it predates the Internet, so I know it wasn't some web comic.

My parents did that with artillery casings they grabbed when my Dad was serving with the UN during the Cyprus conflict. Several of my relatives still use them as umbrella stands.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Brown Moses posted:

My parents did that with artillery casings they grabbed when my Dad was serving with the UN during the Cyprus conflict. Several of my relatives still use them as umbrella stands.

My grandma had an artillery shell she used as an umbrella stand. She had a ton of cool WW2 poo poo which got split up among the family when she died. I don't know who ended up with the shell, but I inherited a really nice pair of Carl Zeiss Jena Telex binos that still have perfect optics. I traced the serial number to them being WW1 German issue and the family story goes that they were ripped from the neck of a German when my Grandad was killing nazis in the desert.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I've seen .50 cal casings re-purposed as shot glasses. I want to get a 105 to turn in to a beer stien one day

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Really think it was photoshopped. Any Paveway kit from Paveway II on is going to have spring loaded tail fins that pop out when the bomb is released.

Good point, I don't know how I didn't make that connection.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

The shape and coloration suggest to me that it's a newer GBU-10...but I do agree that it's photoshopped. In reality though it would be kind of hard to spot the aft wings on a falling one, because they are stubby as hell.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Stuff like this is really common in former warzones too.

There was a whole "genre" of trench art that sprung up during WW1 using battlefield materials; I've got a photo of one from a history class a few semesters back, I'll see if I can find it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_art

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

There was a whole "genre" of trench art that sprung up during WW1 using battlefield materials; I've got a photo of one from a history class a few semesters back, I'll see if I can find it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_art

A round or two may have been fired at the Somme.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
These are the main drop lights in my church.

Re-purposed artillery shells made into lights. The church was built in 1955 I think, so these are WW2/Korean War era caliber. Unsure exactly what as the ends are cut off.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

I've seen .50 cal casings re-purposed as shot glasses. I want to get a 105 to turn in to a beer stien one day

Gunpowder and (especially) primers make some nasty combustion byproducts. I hope whoever made those shot glasses used virgin brass or coated it with something.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Booblord Zagats posted:

I've seen GAU-8 30mm brass from an A-10 repurposed as shot glasses, kind of more of a double at that point.

And yeah, they generally will scrub it using a parts washer of some sort and then coat it with something to prevent the combustion byproducts from being an issue.

Also I've got a bottle opener made from a .50 casing. Available here.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-Su-25/2235678/L/&sid=f5947204d8ff570078d7515b0e4fb2af

A great photo, but holy hell does it speak volumes about the state of Russia's Air Force today.

I've seen USN aircraft that looked pretty rough, but never with paintjobs that appear to have been done with housepaint and a brush. (Although, this was how the Egyptians camouflaged their AF after the Six-Day War)

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 8, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The Russian Air Force is basically...a skeleton crew. They have about a dozen Flankers, three dozen MiG-29s...it's high quality hardware, but they don't have very much of it, and they don't maintain it very well. The entire Russian military basically subsists on Vodka and hazing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
This is a pretty awesome dog:

Story here

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
It looks so happy :3: :3: :3:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

genderstomper58 posted:

It looks so happy :3: :3: :3:

Make sure you read the story...if I thought I could get away with it I would totally start bringing a dog with me to work on the flightline.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

iyaayas01 posted:

Make sure you read the story...if I thought I could get away with it I would totally start bringing a dog with me to work on the flightline.

Yeah I did, sounds unsafe as all gently caress but still pretty cute :)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

iyaayas01 posted:

This is a pretty awesome dog:

Story here

For a second, I thought it was Roscoe.

[/URL]

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

McNally posted:

For a second, I thought it was Roscoe.

[/URL]

Raz talked about Roscoe in one/both of his books, didn't he?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

iyaayas01 posted:

Raz talked about Roscoe in one/both of his books, didn't he?

Both, I think, yeah. The second one went into more detail about the Roscoe Control Officer, a junior lieutenant who was charged with ensuring Roscoe's wellbeing. During his second tour, Roscoe developed heartworms and the RCO had to make sure Roscoe got his shots on time. Like, specific intervals every day for two weeks.

I miss chatting with Raz and I plan on attending his funeral at Arlington in May.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Sorry if i sound like a dick but who is Raz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Sorry if i sound like a dick but who is Raz?

Ed Rasimus, USAF fighter pilot and author of what are two of the best books about the air war over Vietnam: When Thunder Rolled, about his tour flying Thuds during Rolling Thunder, and Palace Cobra, about his tour flying Phantoms during Linebacker. He also assisted Robin Olds' daughter with writing/compiling/editing Olds' memoirs. Raz passed away in January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0d3DVcKoY

Watching Best Years of Our Lives tonight, still one of the best movies about war ever made.

• Locked thread