Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Well, now I have to get that DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Did I miss this conversation? But what would be the best team make up for collector plat? Lets say it's a box of shame run since I'm day crew and will probably have to use pubbies.

My default pubbie play is to use my cerbguard specced with the classic huddle-in-a-room on Glacier build. That does just fine normally, smashing like a retard inside the box, but I used it last night on collectors and they tore through me like toilet paper. I can't blame the team, although it was pretty poo poo. I just got the feeling, as I lay there inside the box bleeding out for the umpteenth time, that I *may* have chosen the wrong club for the course.

I did P/C/Rio with pubbies and the time it worked was two Juggies and an EDI camping around the box, with me as a Harrier TGI on the left flank by the second ammo box set up for cross fire as things came down the stairs. I took out all the scrubs and weakened all the bosses; most of them ignored me as they headed for the box. Occasionally EDI would dash up to me and join in the stairs massacre.

Fifty Three posted:

Was that Aria? It's been a while since I've heard her voice and I'm not good at placing it.
It sounds like the Ashley voice actor.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
So, what's the over/under on time till EDI gets hit with the nerf bat?

Will they get the Juggy too? Any new weapon you think they may buff/nerf?

Speculate away!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Completing this challenge will never give me character cards, right?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's just a random human infiltrator woman you see standing on the Citadel, talking to a vorcha. There's a bunch of conversations like that all around, some of the funniest stuff in the DLC IMO. A salarian confused by his turian friend's tech armor detonation build, an N7 Fury complaining about the Graal VII her requisition officer randomly gave her, two asari talking about their heavy melee celebration being interrupted by a drell kicking the air.

Don't forget the old traditional human soldier and engineer bitching about the power creep from all the new classes and weapons.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Completing this challenge will never give me character cards, right?

The Commendation Packs you get from it will not. The credits you get from playing Silver and Platinum should be plenty for a few Reserve Packs, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

highmodulus posted:

Speculate away!

Well they already confirmed a Spitfire buff, Talon Merc buff, and Repair Matrix nerf on Tuesday, so ... Tuesday?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I don't know if it's the challenge or weekday morning pubbies but I have had some absolutely awful games today. There is an omnipresent and steadfast refusal to use missiles in public gold games and it baffles me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Holy poo poo. Citadel pretty much redeems the entire rest of the game in, like, every way.

I'm still trying to get Collectors/Platinum done with pubbies. They just don't understand that in many ways Rio is one of the worst maps for Platinum. Across-the-map pizza deliveries. :negative:

Why haven't they figured out that Giant is about 100 times easier yet?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

highmodulus posted:

Speculate away!

No time as of yet but they did say they'll nerf the matrix, not sure how though, unless they flat out remove the auto revive they can't do much there, the auto revive thing is tied into the medigel system, they'd have to rework that entirely, most I can see is them dropping the shield restore thing a bit.

Jug won't get nerfed, any nerf to his abilities would make him worst than the volus vanguard, his damage output his rear end and he can't take cover or run, he's a tank plain and simple, the opposite of the volus in every way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The nerf to Matrix will almost certainly just be a reduction in its duration, which is not so much a "nerf" as it is a "minor inconvenience".

As it stands, I never use +Grenade gear on her (though if I had Shock Trooper at higher than level 1 I would :argh: ) but if the duration was severely shortened I would.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Psion posted:

Well they already confirmed a Spitfire buff, Talon Merc buff, and Repair Matrix nerf on Tuesday, so ... Tuesday?

Did not know this-- thanks!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Potential BFF posted:

I don't know if it's the challenge or weekday morning pubbies but I have had some absolutely awful games today. There is an omnipresent and steadfast refusal to use missiles in public gold games and it baffles me.

I might need those 255 missiles someday.

And those 255 ammo packs.

Definitely the 255 medigel.

And the way this game works I'll have to hit 255 ops packs for it to take effect once.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Perhaps give Repair Matrix a cooldown if it revives you, say 30 seconds?

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
Seconding that "Platinum isn't so bad" experiences. It certainly helps if you don't have to do it with pubbies. We had a fairly easy time last night. A juggernaut is like a giant sturdy decoy + submission net. I used juggernaut, talon merc, geth trooper, and paladin in my runs and it was pretty stress free.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Hey there, if anyone on PC is willing to help me with the platinum challenge I'm AbnormalReflex on Origin

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

precision posted:

Holy poo poo. Citadel pretty much redeems the entire rest of the game in, like, every way.

Citadel is better than every other ME DLC put together, and I'm including Lair of the Shadow Broker in that statement. (That statement also includes DLCs that are straight-up negative experiences. :ssh:) Well, the "adventure" portion has some faults, but it's pretty decent, and once you get past that it is so very much :tviv:. Took me 10 hours of play, and then another 3 in the morning, to see everything it had to offer, as well. If you didn't gently caress around as much as I do you could probably do it in 6-10, but those will be hours of pure joy.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.
Can someone explain to me why Rio's box of shame is so appealing? Sure you don't get instakilled but it also boxes you in (:rimshot:) with no cover while pyros and hunters blast your face off. At best it's a place to retreat to briefly while the Jugg tanks a Banshee but I've seen people camp there for entire waves and it was a guddamn bloodbath. loving pubbies, learn to kite poo poo!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cheap Vodka posted:

Can someone explain to me why Rio's box of shame is so appealing?

It's brainless. Get in box, push button, score points. It's seriously platinum for people not skilled enough for platinum, i.e. most of the playerbase. I don't mean that as a complete insult, Bioware's said the majority of their players are bronze and silver, and so if any of that majority steps up they're going to want to try and get any advantage they can. Adds an element of reliable farming to plat to people who freak out and missile a single half armor Banshee. They're seeing 2+ at a time in plat, I can see why they'd want to just run and hide instead of kiting.

Personally I want to see how well that Glacier darkroom + Juggernaut tanking strategy works at least once.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Cheap Vodka posted:

Can someone explain to me why Rio's box of shame is so appealing? Sure you don't get instakilled but it also boxes you in (:rimshot:) with no cover while pyros and hunters blast your face off. At best it's a place to retreat to briefly while the Jugg tanks a Banshee but I've seen people camp there for entire waves and it was a guddamn bloodbath. loving pubbies, learn to kite poo poo!

Messin' with Banshees is my guess. Watching them ineffectively bang into the box over and over again is strangely amusing.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Cheap Vodka posted:

I dunno. I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge — more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

You should come inside the box... Then you'll know what I mean.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cheap Vodka posted:

Keep in mind that the Rio Box of Shame strategy came out after the last DLC when they blocked off the Glacier Room of Shame. The way the box is setup with that wall, the enemies come in a few at a time at most and allows your team to focus fire on them, It has an ammo box, and keeps everyone clustered in a "safe" spot where you can easily pick up one another. Keep in mind that it only really works with a Volus on the team for Shield Boost spam, and Warp Bubble and Recon Mine are recommended for BEs and Debuffs. It was basically the first strategy to come out where "anyone" could do it, even in random PUG games.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I don't want to blame it entirely on my gear, because I'm sure I'm also not a great player after being gone for so long, but LynxEyedZombie and some other good players tried to drag me through Plat and we couldn't extract, and even when I took it down to Gold to help with my self-esteem, I was getting torn up.

Can you guys take a look at what I've unlocked and maybe suggest something? I've tried HumSent, Cerberus Adept Lash Guy, and HumEngi. HumEngi is the only one that seems remotely useful but I still feel like I'm getting hit and instantly murdered no matter where I stand and my deaths create a liability for the team.

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/characters/?name=Paineopticon&platform=pc

I hope that's the right way to link, if not, my Origin ID is Paineopticon.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Paineopticon posted:

I don't want to blame it entirely on my gear, because I'm sure I'm also not a great player after being gone for so long, but LynxEyedZombie and some other good players tried to drag me through Plat and we couldn't extract, and even when I took it down to Gold to help with my self-esteem, I was getting torn up.

Can you guys take a look at what I've unlocked and maybe suggest something? I've tried HumSent, Cerberus Adept Lash Guy, and HumEngi. HumEngi is the only one that seems remotely useful but I still feel like I'm getting hit and instantly murdered no matter where I stand and my deaths create a liability for the team.

Your cerb adept is specced poorly. Singularity is your best primer. Detonate anything in it with smash, detonate anything unarmored with lash (if you spec lash to work through shields and barriers like you should). Go 66644. Better yet, if you want to engage from safer than smash distance, use a human adept and detonate your singularity with warp or smash against any enemies (or det your warp with shockwave).

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^^^^
First off, I wouldn't recommend doing Gold/Plat with a class that isn't fully leveled to 20. 19 or 18 for Gold could probably work, but for Platinum less so.

From the looks of it, I'm gonna assume you just started out? That's fine, but I'd recommend just playing Bronze/Silver for now until you get the rhythm of MP and so you can work on buying Veteran Packs to max out your Uncommon cards and to build up your consumable stock a bit. Once you get comfortable there, try stepping up to Gold/Platinum and see how you like it then.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Psion posted:

Personally I want to see how well that Glacier darkroom + Juggernaut tanking strategy works at least once.

Pretty well based on the Hazard Glacier/Reaper/Plat game I did last night. The Juggernaut has to be on top of things when he needs to move to cover any downed teammates outside the box, and the rest have to watch the other exit as well (you don't want to start out completely boxed in, so you're usually at the doorways or beyond at first), plus objective rounds are as they are. As long as your team is adaptable (especially the Jugg), you'll do pretty drat well.

Vietnamwees posted:

It was basically the first strategy to come out where "anyone" could do it, even in random PUG games.

Noooooo, it really isn't. At least not successfully. All three of the Rio Plats I was in last night were dead before wave 8. I think one of them only made it to wave 3, and I practically had to solo wave 2. They get so loving stuck in the "stay in the box" mindset that the moment anything goes wrong it just cascades, and I have no intention (and probably not the skill required either) of soloing an entire Plat game unless I'm gonna get credit for it. Meanwhile I had a roving team on Dagger/Collectors that made mincemeat out of everything. The Box of Shame is just a pathetic attempt to recapture the old Glacier farm in a spot that isn't made for being quite THAT brainless.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Golgozor posted:

Your cerb adept is specced poorly. Singularity is your best primer. Detonate anything in it with smash, detonate anything unarmored with lash (if you spec lash to work through shields and barriers like you should). Go 66644. Better yet, if you want to engage from safer than smash distance, use a human adept and detonate your singularity with warp or smash against any enemies (or det your warp with shockwave).

Ok, I was following the spec that is linked in the OP's second post (a huge post with a bunch of builds in it) but it was from several months ago so I guess things have changed.

Do you have a full spec idea for Cerb Adept? I like his feel and look, and pulling guys into the air is really fun.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Who was it that told the story of the pub group that didn't like the way a goon was playing because it didn't match their strategy?

And then strategy once got them all the way to wave 4 on platinum.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Unquestionably plat worthy classes you have:

Hum Adept; Prime everything with Singularity, blow it all up with Warp.
Quari Engi; Arc grenade, Area Scan, Run for ammo boxes as often as possible, throw an Incinerate after the Arc Grenade for even more AOE nuking.
Tur Sent; Detonate whatever power or ammo type your teammates use with Warp, Overload can spec either for super duper removal of shields/barriers or an AOE panic disable.
Hum Sent; Warp->Throw repeat, Tankier than human adept. Marauders will troll you by rolling under your warp.
Asari Infil; Cloak->Dark Channel, Cloak->Warp, Big DOTS.

Stick your Hurricane on any of the above and make sure you're hip firing it at poo poo between power cooldowns and you should be a solid member of any team. Quari Engi can afford too carry your Black Widow if you like using it. All those classes can hang back behind a tankier/more plat comfortable teammate and let them worry about the bulk of the incomming damage, so I'd definitely do that.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 7, 2013

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Singularity used to be terrible when that guide was written, but has since been revamped to be much, MUCH better now.

Felinoid posted:

Noooooo, it really isn't. At least not successfully. All three of the Rio Plats I was in last night were dead before wave 8. I think one of them only made it to wave 3, and I practically had to solo wave 2. They get so loving stuck in the "stay in the box" mindset that the moment anything goes wrong it just cascades, and I have no intention (and probably not the skill required either) of soloing an entire Plat game unless I'm gonna get credit for it. Meanwhile I had a roving team on Dagger/Collectors that made mincemeat out of everything. The Box of Shame is just a pathetic attempt to recapture the old Glacier farm in a spot that isn't made for being quite THAT brainless.

Well keep in mind that all the Bronze/Silver/terribad Gold PUGlords are coming out of the woodwork this week to try and do the Insanity Challenge. Also, even with wiping on Wave 8 or even 9, compare the credits and time with a lovely player's typical Gold time, and its actually more efficient from a credit earned per time perspective.

Plus most people in a Rio farming match don't give a poo poo if you don't put on equipment, and we all know how much pubbies hate using consumables.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

Who was it that told the story of the pub group that didn't like the way a goon was playing because it didn't match their strategy?

And then strategy once got them all the way to wave 4 on platinum.

I don't remember, but I think it was actually wave 3, because I remember thinking, "But... that's the first objective wave. The first actual test of whether you're pressing the buttons with your hands or your dong. And you couldn't even complete that, ever?"

Vietnamwees posted:

Well keep in mind that all the Bronze/Silver/terribad Gold PUGlords are coming out of the woodwork this week to try and do the Insanity Challenge. Also, even with wiping on Wave 8 or even 9, compare the credits and time with a lovely player's typical Gold time, and its actually more efficient from a credit earned per time perspective.

Plus most people in a Rio farming match don't give a poo poo if you don't put on equipment, and we all know how much pubbies hate using consumables.

Eh, I suppose. I still think it's retarded, though. Playing on Rio is a much bigger negative (especially for objectives) than the Box of Shame could possibly be a positive.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 7, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paineopticon posted:

You did fine when I played with you on the london/cerberus match, you where detonating while I held the sync killers in Jessant's bubble(even if you did get synced by a phantom at the end).

If you like biotics I'd advise you spec out a human, singularity/warp/shockwave/synergize way better, if you're not to confident on not getting shot, then ignore shockwave and focus on singularity, go power damage and full shields on fitness.

You have the quarian male engineer and have never used it, why? Arc grenades are horrendously powerful and tact scan is a fantastic debuff.

You also have the turian sentinel, if you're having trouble getting killed he would be perfect, he's got high shields even with 4 fitness and the tech armor helps a ton, his powers synergize with both biotics and tech alike making him the ultimate detonator and warp is always a great debuff on anything.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll mull it over and give it another go tonight on a few of the classes you've suggested. I'd like to be useful in the plat challenge because it sounds like this is my last shot at promo weapons!

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

Alright, thanks for the box of shame explanation guys. I think I understand it better now. It's still a stupid strategy that's less effective than just learning to play well, but pubs will be pubs I suppose. It wouldn't bug me so much if random Plat didn't automatically equal '24/7 Rio funtime'. Still, beats Condor I guess. :v:

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Cheap Vodka posted:

Alright, thanks for the box of shame explanation guys. I think I understand it better now. It's still a stupid strategy that's less effective than just learning to play well, but pubs will be pubs I suppose. It wouldn't bug me so much if random Plat didn't automatically equal '24/7 Rio funtime'. Still, beats Condor I guess. :v:

It is dumb and takes forever, and some objectives are a pain in the dick on Rio. Most pubbies are too dumb to even do the box strategy.
They think they can whip out a harrier and do work like they do in bronze and silver. On ps3 at least, the harrier is usually the sign of a lovely player for me if I'm on anything above silver.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Some 1 year statistics about Multiplayer. I like how many missions end in failure ; I think part of the appeal of Multiplayer is that it's fairly challenging, and that kept saps like us around for a long time.

Kaizer88 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 7, 2013

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Kaizer88 posted:

Some 1 year statistics about Multiplayer. I like how many missions end in failure ; I think part of the appeal of Multiplayer is that it's fairly challenging, and that kept saps like us around for a long time.

Keep in mind that for a while, extraction didn't give extra credits, so many people wouldn't bother trying very hard to survive after the wave 10 objective (remember that FBW farming started out with people suiciding on wave 10 so they could start the next round faster). That likely makes up a solid chunk of that 41% failure rate.

Not to say that multiplayer isn't challenging, it's just that 41% seems really high for a playerbase that mostly sticks to bronze and silver.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

Golgozor posted:

It is dumb and takes forever, and some objectives are a pain in the dick on Rio. Most pubbies are too dumb to even do the box strategy.
They think they can whip out a harrier and do work like they do in bronze and silver. On ps3 at least, the harrier is usually the sign of a lovely player for me if I'm on anything above silver.

We get the same Harrier using dipshits on Xbox too. People hear it's OP (which is true) but don't learn to work around the downsides like recoil or lack of ammo. Still, it beats the old days of every single player carrying a Widow. At least power users can use the Harrier and not gently caress up their cooldowns too badly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Use [timg] tags dude.

Not to surprised at the numbers but it makes me quite happy that I rarely wipe on collectors gold and plat has gone relatively well.

Even one goon along for the ride can make a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Golgozor posted:

Seconding that "Platinum isn't so bad" experiences. It certainly helps if you don't have to do it with pubbies. We had a fairly easy time last night. A juggernaut is like a giant sturdy decoy + submission net. I used juggernaut, talon merc, geth trooper, and paladin in my runs and it was pretty stress free.

It also helps if you have a handsome and capable leader who is a genius and all the ladies want to kiss him

• Locked thread