Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kaddish posted:

So between supernews (I suspect) stripping headers for a bunch of crap and every indexing site either shutdown or closed for registration, I'm thinking about cancelling my usenet service. I've had a usenet subscription for almost as long as I've been on the Internet but it seems like it's becoming more trouble than it's worth. Anyone else share this mentality?
I've gotten just about everything I've wanted, though it's required more patience than it used to.

So no, not here.

I have a long list of indexers, I use NewDemon as my main and a small 25GB Block account from Blocknews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Kaddish posted:

So between supernews (I suspect) stripping headers for a bunch of crap and every indexing site either shutdown or closed for registration, I'm thinking about cancelling my usenet service. I've had a usenet subscription for almost as long as I've been on the Internet but it seems like it's becoming more trouble than it's worth. Anyone else share this mentality?

I use SuperNews and BlockNews as a backup, very few problems so far. I also signed up to a dozen different nzb sites though, I think relying on any single one is just asking for trouble. Are you having that many problems with completion or just finding an NZB site in general? I am overdoing it on sources so I could probably give you one of my accounts or something.

I just sorta got into this before Sickbeard came along and if anything I think its way easier and less hassle than it was when I transitioned over from torrents.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kaddish posted:

Nope, still easier/safer than using Torrents. Worst case scenario I go back to using Easynews' HTTP service.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I guess I need to sort out a competent indexer then. Ever since my old one shut down I've been sort of drifting. I've been using nzbindex but it's nothing like the old days. Every decent site I find has registrations closed.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kaddish posted:

I guess I need to sort out a competent indexer then. Ever since my old one shut down I've been sort of drifting. I've been using nzbindex but it's nothing like the old days. Every decent site I find has registrations closed.

A large batch of them opened up right after NZBM closed, I would take another look. I had so many after adding a few new ones that I just stopped signing up for more. The built-in Sickbeard index covers much of one category as well. If you get really stuck throw me a PM or check the C&D forum for nzb.su invites or whatever.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kaddish posted:

Not me. 99% of my usenet downloading is automated and looking at my sabnzbd history, my last failed download was 5 weeks ago. (Supernews + Blocknews + Tweaknews...though Blocknews or Tweaknews show 0 Bytes downloaded this month)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm light enough downloader that I stick to block plans, but I was lucky enough to have dognzb and nzb.su accounts intact when they went private and I've had no trouble getting anything I want since then.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

Kaddish posted:

Sign up to a few of these free indexers. The Newznab-based ones are probably what you're looking for. http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/nzb-sources

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Kaddish posted:

http://www.usenet-crawler.com/

I think they are still taking people in. I haven't actually used the account I made there yet though so I can't vouch for how good it is.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Any updates on the goonzb project?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
So I've got sabnzbd running on my synology NAS. It works great for most of my downloads however any big files needing to be verified and eventually repaired can take hours since its running on the NAS. Is there a way I can safely tell sabnzbd to stop repairing the download so that I can move it to my main PC to do all the hard work? I'm just worried that stopping it midrepair can cause further damage.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Is quickcheck enabled? You could create a new category and assign it to large downloads. For that category just have sab download all the files and not do anything, set a post-processing script to copy to your desktop.

Once on your desktop, you could manually run the par2 check or created a scheduled task to watch the folder for files, if anything shows up repair and unpack it.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

Drevoak posted:

So I've got sabnzbd running on my synology NAS. It works great for most of my downloads however any big files needing to be verified and eventually repaired can take hours since its running on the NAS. Is there a way I can safely tell sabnzbd to stop repairing the download so that I can move it to my main PC to do all the hard work? I'm just worried that stopping it midrepair can cause further damage.

Is there any real reason why you don't just run sabnzbd on your main computer and then transfer the files to the NAS after they are post processed? Do you turn your computer off very often or something? Depending upon your hardware you probably wont even notice that anything is happening in the background, I don't.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Straithate posted:

Is there any real reason why you don't just run sabnzbd on your main computer and then transfer the files to the NAS after they are post processed? Do you turn your computer off very often or something? Depending upon your hardware you probably wont even notice that anything is happening in the background, I don't.

I have been thinking about switching everything over to my main system. Having to access and manage everything through the NAS has been kind of a pain with the permission settings and being a linux environment. I almost never leave my PC on when I am not at it plus it's always nice to wake up in the morning and find out sickbeard/couchpotato found me entertainment in the middle of the night. I haven't really used the windows clients much, my only concern I can think of is can it notify if you are shutting down while any of the programs are in post process and moving the files?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It doesn't quite help your concern much, but I tend to move towards virtualizing weird application suites in a single VM that can be backed up or include some form of change management (snapshots). Try making a VM and having it do all your SAB/Newznab/CouchPotato/Sickbeard/Headphones stuff. It can still store and manage/rename everything on your NAS.

It'd pretty much be starting over in the VM this time, but this also means you don't touch and break anything during your "migration" process and can stop any time.

Edit: I read your post a bit more. Maybe you can look at getting something small, like a Raspberry Pi, to do the work? Or some other small, cheap PC that can stay online all the time.
I personally just leave my PC on all the time. The power consumption isn't really much at all every month, and heat is a non-issue because I run an Audio, Video, and USB cable from the tower to the desk. Complete silence!

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 7, 2013

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

EC posted:

Maybe you could explain your setup a bit more because I'm not quite getting it. Both SAB and SickBeard (I'm not sure about CP) have support for watched folders. So if you're in a situation where the apps are not going to be running at the same time, you want to configure them both to drop files in the other's watched folder. That way when one app comes on, it will scan the folder and do whatever it needs to do (start downloading nzbs or start post-processing finished downloads).

I'm not sure why you would need to change the SAB download title if you're using post-processing.

I think you've already understood it. Sickbeard would live in the cloud somewhere online and sab would be on my PC. Sickbeard would find episodes whenever it can and as you've suggested, would drop the nzbs in a folder for sab to pick up whenever it is restarted along with the PC. This is all good and well, but once sab is done downloading the files, it then needs to be able to send them back to sickbeard to post-process. I think you've already said this is possible too. Would the downloads be given the correct category in sab if it was done this way though?

About sickbeard and couchpotato renaming the download title within sab, I never said I needed to do it, it just makes things easier to view, especially on android clients.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

sharktamer posted:

I think you've already understood it. Sickbeard would live in the cloud somewhere online and sab would be on my PC. Sickbeard would find episodes whenever it can and as you've suggested, would drop the nzbs in a folder for sab to pick up whenever it is restarted along with the PC. This is all good and well, but once sab is done downloading the files, it then needs to be able to send them back to sickbeard to post-process. I think you've already said this is possible too. Would the downloads be given the correct category in sab if it was done this way though?

About sickbeard and couchpotato renaming the download title within sab, I never said I needed to do it, it just makes things easier to view, especially on android clients.

Well, Sickbeard needs local access to the files to do the post processing, so you'd have to upload the files to the cloud. I don't really understand why you would want that, though. You could just as easily have Sickbeard feed SAB nzb files and then use SAB's TV Sorting feature to keep everything organized locally.

Ideally, you want to the two programs to run on the same LAN and have access to the same files.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Raffles posted:

Any updates on the goonzb project?

Last I heard they had the hardware installed, but I haven't heard anything other than that. If anyone has any information, I'd like to know (by PM if it's not something we want to talk about publicly).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sharktamer posted:

I'm pretty sure sickbeard will attempt to find anything that was missed when you turn it on for the day, if you need to remotely manage it you can just got to IP:8081 and bring up the page. Why are you trying to make this so complicated. Seriously you could forward 8081 on your router and log in from your phone while on the road if you really wanted to add a show or see if something had downloaded.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

unpurposed posted:

Last I heard they had the hardware installed, but I haven't heard anything other than that. If anyone has any information, I'd like to know (by PM if it's not something we want to talk about publicly).

Join synirc:#goonzb for live PHP hatred.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If you have questions / comments / concerns / about the GOONZB project join us in #goonzb on synirc, or e-mail thegoonzb@gmail.com. This will help keep us from distracting too much from this thread. Thanks.

ALL ACCOUNT CREATION IS TEMPORARILY ON HOLD WHILE WE CREATE THE AUTOMATIC ACCOUNT CREATION/VERIFICATION SYSTEM. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Hi guys. Sorry about my absence.

I'm in the GOONZB Channel as SHIMAJEW. Our main man HOOTHOOT has the server up and running, and our indexing is going well.

Now is the time to start sorting out people who want to become members, while hoothoot starts to get the payment system sorted out.

For the time being I will be collecting user data to create accounts now. If you want to get in on the ALPHA test action and help work out bugs, please join #goonzb on synirc and pimp myself and hoothoot (I am Shimajew on IRC)

This will eventually all be automated, but we're working toward that. Baby steps first and all.

If you would like to become a member of the Goonzb community, please e-mail us at thegoonzb@gmail.com using the following exact format:

Your SA Handle
Your SA USERID (You can get this looking at the URL in your browser when you look at your profile)
Your E-mail Address
Your Desired account name (We'll keep it alphanumeric for now)
Your Desired account password

This will then be used to tally up the first batch of non test accounts, and we'll use this info data to contact you to activate your account.

Again, this will all be automated later, but for now this is the system we're using to get the first batch of accounts and what not setup. Hoothoot should have the payment system going in the very near future so we can start to recoup some of the costs here-- we haven't fully fleshed out if there is going to be a free account / premium account setup or what.. By the time we start asking for anyone's money we'll have this fully fleshed out, and have more than just an alpha level test account setup going.

Cheers mates! GOONZB LIVES!

Hoothoot is working like a madman, and we're very excited that this has materialized better than hoped for.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 31, 2013

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I don't see the user ID when I click on my profile using safari on my iPhone. I believe it says usercp.php at the end of the URL.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

serebralassazin posted:

I don't see the user ID when I click on my profile using safari on my iPhone. I believe it says usercp.php at the end of the URL.

From that page, go to "Edit profile" then click "View profile" OR just click on the "?" under your username in the post you just made.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

serebralassazin posted:

Yours is 49799. You can just mouseover your own Profile link below any message you post.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

The Gunslinger posted:

Yours is 49799. You can just mouseover your own Profile link below any message you post.

Oh hey thanks.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

pixaal posted:

I'm pretty sure sickbeard will attempt to find anything that was missed when you turn it on for the day, if you need to remotely manage it you can just got to IP:8081 and bring up the page. Why are you trying to make this so complicated. Seriously you could forward 8081 on your router and log in from your phone while on the road if you really wanted to add a show or see if something had downloaded.

I don't keep my PC on when I'm out. I just thought it would be nice to add a new show or film to sickbeard or couchpotato right away if I'm recommended by someone. It seems if it were possible, that having the fetching apps run on a server wouldn't be too difficult seeing as how light they are.

If it's not as EC says, that's alright. I was planning on getting a NAS in the future anyway.

Great news on the goonzb project!

stephenm00
Jun 28, 2006
Fixed

stephenm00 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 21, 2017

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I haven't bought nzb.su premium yet, but I can't see how it's even remotely as good as nzbs.org.

Is .su premium worth it over nzbs.org?

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT

pixaal posted:

Seriously you could forward 8081 on your router and log in from your phone while on the road if you really wanted to add a show or see if something had downloaded.

How do you do this? I'd like to access my always-on SABNzbd/Sickbeard/CP setup wherever I am. Thanks in advance! I have a lovely router though if that affects anything (Belkin N300)

Demented Guy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 8, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Demented Guy posted:

How do you do this? I'd like to access my always-on SABNzbd/Sickbeard/CP setup wherever I am. Thanks in advance! I have a lovely router though if that affects anything (Belkin N300)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgSVzp3c6ZM

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Demented Guy posted:

Forward the port to whatever the local IP is (you probably want to give your computer a static IP) Lets assume you have the IP 192.168.1.2 you would find port forwarding and forward 8081 (assuming this is your SB port) to 192.168.1.2. You will now need your external IP what is my IP is probably the easiest way to get it. Lets say its 8.8.8.8 (for reference this is google's DNS server and will not be your IP). You now simply go to 8.8.8.8:8081 from any device in the world and you can see the exact same page you would see going to 127.0.0.1:8081 go on try it! that's your local loop back so as long as you are on the machine SB is on that will work! (and the port is 8081). If the external thing isn't working right with the port forward there may be another step to allow outside communications that I'm forgetting. I know VLC has a hosts file and you have to allow IPs in (but they basically get whatever privileges VLC has so gently caress allowing VLC remote control outside of your intranet, since on a windows box that means they can browse every file on your computer without issues).

You really want to get enable the HTTP auth for username and password unless you don't find if some bot stumbles into your open port (it probably will). What will the bot do? Well after it has no idea what is running it might tell the person it found something new. Since most port bots are by script kiddies that love to gently caress with stuff they will probably gently caress with your poo poo. Basically do NOT do this if you aren't going to secure it. General > HTTP username / HTTP password should be enough (test this on your intranet before forwarding ports).

I haven't used CP at all but I think SAB should have some security options too and should forward the exact same but 8080 (Warning! 8080 is a really common port and often blocked by ISPs! you may have to change it to actually get an outside connection to control it!)

edit: kinda beaten, but hopefully my post is useful in a generic sense.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Thanks goons. I'll try it on the weekend when I have a spare time.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Testing for info!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Kaddish posted:

I still have an nzb.su invite if you're interested.

I also agree that torrents is still too much of a hassle to go back to. Too many private sites each with their own stringent rules and you have to rent a seedbox anyways to be of real benefit.

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

Really looking forward to goonzb. This is totally not a post to get my userid.

Oh hey here's a question: how are people doing with spotweb? I still have mine running, and its pretty useful to find things sometimes, but it rarely acts as a source for sickbeard and I'm wondering if it will ever get much of an English-speaking userbase.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can anyone recommend a Dutch usenet host, with reasonably priced block price, to use as a backup server? I'm not familiar with any of the Dutch providers, so would welcome any recommendations!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

moron posted:

Can anyone recommend a Dutch usenet host, with reasonably priced block price, to use as a backup server? I'm not familiar with any of the Dutch providers, so would welcome any recommendations!
I've used tweaknews.eu for a couple of months now as a backup server and it has worked out really nice.
Not sure if it's the cheapest or not, but that one, together with a block account on blocknews.net for additional backup, and a main account on usenetserver.com, and I have not experienced any problems at all for quite a while.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

I haven't bought nzb.su premium yet, but I can't see how it's even remotely as good as nzbs.org.

Is .su premium worth it over nzbs.org?

nzb.su, along with nzbs.in and dognzb has comics.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
In terms of running software on a NAS vs a PC.

So is it best to then run SABNZBD on your PC? Or can a solid NAS (I'm thinking of getting a Synology) run SABNZBD, Sickbeard, and CP?

Or would it be better to roll my own so I have enough power to do this.
Basically trying to avoid leaving my old desktop on all the time, since I typically just use a laptop.

I'm open to ideas on how to get this all setup efficiently -- i've been reading a lot of mixed opinions on using a NAS to do all this (including here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Commercial NAS units are pretty limited on resources. They're designed to handle a very specific set of tasks, sometimes you'll find NAS units designed to run some apps on top of it (Synology) but nothing that requires even moderate CPU.

Personally, if you can spare the cash I recommend rolling your own. It's pretty easy/cheap to build a Mini-ITX file server with redundant storage. Use linux if you can, otherwise Windows Home Server/Server 2012 Essentials will work just fine.