Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ZergRushing posted:

Is it more sexist to show Kratos murdering a woman, or to refuse to show Kratos murdering a woman? :allears:

FWIW not a single girl I know gives a gently caress about this, or the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter, or Dead or Alive Beach Volley Ball or whatever else white knights get riled up about, and the kind of people you'll actually impress with your gigantic empathy aren't the kind of people you want to hang out with anyways.

It's nice that actually caring about portrayals of women and portrayals of violence against them is "white knighting" now. I guess these things are just fine though because no one you knows cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

ZergRushing posted:

Is it more sexist to show Kratos murdering a woman, or to refuse to show Kratos murdering a woman? :allears:

FWIW not a single girl I know gives a gently caress about this, or the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter, or Dead or Alive Beach Volley Ball or whatever else white knights get riled up about, and the kind of people you'll actually impress with your gigantic empathy aren't the kind of people you want to hang out with anyways.

Oh we'll if I'm not impressing someone, what's the point :rolleyes:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

DangerKat posted:

Oh we'll if I'm not impressing someone, what's the point :rolleyes:

That's certainly not the way to get people to have sex with you! Note that I don't say "to have sex with people", because that would be implying that sex isn't an act of dominance to show your superiority, and that poo poo's for faggots.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ZergRushing posted:

Quit projecting your psychotic moral values to the world and take the joke for what it is. Also get laid you virgin.
Jokes Can Never Be Bad. You're really mad about someone else not liking a dumb joke but this would make a pretty good thread title.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ZergRushing posted:

Wow, dude. When I saw it I thought it was pretty funny given the context. It's obviously a joke based off a really common party phrase and not meant to degrade or belittle women at all. Quit projecting your psychotic moral values to the world and take the joke for what it is. Also get laid you virgin.

I was going to try and elaborate my point further on your post before I saw this edit, but now I don't really know how to respond to this. Hopefully my opinions haven't hurt the world too much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...I'm just curious if there's an actual 'bro' in the situation or if they just used that trophy name for the hell of it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games: Quit projecting your psychotic moral values to the world and take the joke for what it is. Also get laid you virgin. > PlayStation 3 Games Discussion Thread: the execution will be prohibitively expensive

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ZergRushing posted:

Edit:

Wow, dude. When I saw it I thought it was pretty funny given the context. It's obviously a joke based off a really common party phrase and not meant to degrade or belittle women at all. Quit projecting your psychotic moral values to the world and take the joke for what it is. Also get laid you virgin.

Missed this! So the thing is misogynist, it's just that it's referencing a misogynist saying.

Also I think you might be getting a bit too mad at people for having opinions about this that differ from yours.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ZergRushing posted:

Edit:

Are you a developer on the game? You're certainly sexist enough to have been.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I hope the inevitable PS4 God of war takes an entirely new mythology, I think they've wrung all they can out of Ancient Greece.

Maybe we can go to Norse mythology and play as Thor as we hammer the hell out of everyone.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Spalec posted:

I hope the inevitable PS4 God of war takes an entirely new mythology, I think they've wrung all they can out of Ancient Greece.

Maybe we can go to Norse mythology and play as Thor as we hammer the hell out of everyone.

Wasn't this literally Jaffe's idea for how GoW 3 would have gone? Where the Kratos equivalents from every major ancient religion join forces and basically kill everything?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

They will probably keep making prequels forever similar to Metal Gear Solid.

Edit: ^^^^^^ Yes it was.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see
It still cracks me up they got Kevin Sorbo to do the voice of a flesh colored hulk version of Hercules in which was it 3? Oh man that was worth playing the game period.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Going to go with, yeah that's a terrible trophy concept.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

...I'm just curious if there's an actual 'bro' in the situation or if they just used that trophy name for the hell of it.

This is exactly what I'm wondering as well.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Overlord K posted:

This is exactly what I'm wondering as well.

I'd assume the bro is Kratos, he's doing the stomping.

I'm just shocked stuff like this still happens in games. Who thought it was a good idea? The phrase is literally "men before women" and it was after a violent scene which seemed to be bad enough to shock Adam Sessler before any trophy even popped up. There was no one on staff that said "hey, that's probably not a great idea, also it's not funny at all you loving idiot"? There were no women on staff that called them out on their bullshit?

WHYYYYYYYYY

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A review of GoW Ascension said that Kratos is relatively laid back and not angry in it, and that they ditched most of the QTEs during boss fights in favor or something else. Is this true or did I fall into a parallel dimension?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cat doter posted:

The phrase is literally "men before women"

It's "Friends before women."

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Bros are men though.

"Male friends before women" if we're going further down the semantic rabbit hole. The whole sequence sounds lovely regardless.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 8, 2013

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, clearly the semantic argument should be focused on the exact meaning of 'bros' instead of 'hos.'

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I wish that thread that Kewpuh made telling people to stop whining about this poo poo was still stickied :negative:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

MUFFlNS posted:

I wish that thread that Kewpuh made telling people to stop whining about this poo poo was still stickied :negative:
Would it help if I stepped in, gave everyone a giant :stare: and said something like "drop this poo poo, jesus - yes it's kind of disgusting, let's move on instead of debating the meaning of 'bros'"?

Because I just did, if that isn't patently clear. I've been vaguely offended by God of War since the very first one, I'm not sure why anyone's just now realizing that maybe, just maybe, it doesn't hold the ideals of feminism close to its heart. Its meaty, throbbing, veiny heart. This is like derailing a Bond thread with the startling realization that Bond is chauvenistic.

(to be clear, the original post was fine, it's interesting to hear that it's bad enough to put off a well known reviewer... it's the fallout I'm taking issue with)

EDIT: VV :stare: ... yes I agree Tomb Raider is a good game with an actually awesome female lead.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 8, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Shalinor posted:

This is like derailing a Bond thread with the startling realization that Bond is chauvenistic.

Not really. The offensive part about the God of War: Ascension scenario comes from a trophy directly voiced by the creators. Bond is a chauvinistic character, but he's also not an entirely pleasant or imitatable character. It's hard to watch something like Skyfall or the earlier Connery stuff and hold him up as a role model. If it were Kratos saying something misyognistic, I'd agree with you. But it's not, it's the developers.

EDIT: I mean, not to drag this on, but it kind of bares saying. This isn't people being offended because a character did something offensive.

By which I mean to say, everyone should buy and play Tomb Raider, it's a really great game for the Playstation 3 and other home entertainment devices and is available wherever all good games are sold.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Tomb Raider is pretty great, and I was sad that it was over when the credits rolled. It probably won't get an A+ from the feminist rating organisation (I just made that up) but I'd say it's fairly well intentioned 90% of the time.

I'm offended by GoW's trophy more than what appears to happen in the game, because some idiot wrote it and didn't think for more than 5 seconds. It's offensive because it demeans the person playing it, regardless of gender. I don't want to start a feminist argument because those can get pretty loving awful with goons, but I do think it's worth stating that this trophy is loving dumb and I hate it. Also how do you turn off trophy notifications?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

By which I mean to say, everyone should buy and play Tomb Raider, it's a really great game for the Playstation 3 and other home entertainment devices and is available wherever all good games are sold.
What would you say is the best part of it? Is it the combat, exploration, the story, or something else?

I still can't decide if it's a game for me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

cat doter posted:

Tomb Raider is pretty great, and I was sad that it was over when the credits rolled.

It's one of the few games that I've played lately where I've ended it and immediately been excited at the prospect of a sequel, instead of just rolling my eyes at the inevitable, tired hook.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What would you say is the best part of it? Is it the combat, exploration, the story, or something else?

I thought the story was really engaging and they did some really bold things with characterizing Lara that I really enjoyed. It's kind of a simple tale, though. There's not a whole lot of meat to it. It's a lot of character work, really.

The combat was really fun, for me. The enemies hit a lot harder than the mooks in similar games like Uncharted and they tend to be a lot more aggressive, so it was actually frenetic and fast-paced instead of just sitting behind cover and plinking away.

The exploration's nice, and I enjoyed unlocking new methods of getting around and having things 'click' and make more sense as I went along. I thought it progressed really naturally and some of the climbing set-pieces were really nice. The visuals are outstanding. I thought it could have used more involved puzzles, but I also thought they were paced out really naturally, if a little sparsely for their length.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 8, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Regardless of your opinions on sexism and whatnot, I think we can all agree its a really, really stupidly named trophy.

quote:

I'd say all 3, the combat is solid and feels pretty visceral at times, especially when I shoot an arrow through someones throat, the exploration is awesome and provides a lot of little bonuses, you can even look at some of the artifacts you find and get extra facts out of them(one I found had a price tag on it for example). The story is pretty minimalist and not really offensive or anything, just something to get you from point A to B.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Tomb Raider is a game of balance in its content. There is a lot of combat, and it's fun. There are wide open areas to explore that you won't find in Uncharted. The story is wacky, dumb, melodramatic, and great. It's greater than the sum of its parts. It's really, really good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also what would you say is the enemy kill count across the game? Dozens or hundreds? Especially after just playing Spec Ops: The Line, I can't handle another killfest right now.

edit: unless it's Dynasty Warriors which is TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

You won't kill anywhere near as many people as you would in a CoD or even Uncharted if that's what you're asking.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

cat doter posted:

You won't kill anywhere near as many people as you would in a CoD or even Uncharted if that's what you're asking.
"Or even Uncharted"? That game has ridiculous kill counts, especially relative to how your character is characterized. Anyway I'm glad to hear it. I don't know if I can take another game where fifteen nondescript people appear off in the distance and I put a bullet in their head without ever knowing why we were fighting.

edit: vvv so you're saying I should play it like Vanquish? Does Lara have rocket boosters? That would be best.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 8, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also what would you say is the enemy kill count across the game? Dozens or hundreds? Especially after just playing Spec Ops: The Line, I can't handle another killfest right now.

There's a lot of dudes to kill. I never really found myself getting bored with the combat, or finding it tedious, and it certainly doesn't get to the level that Spec Ops did, at least not to my recollection, but you also get a lot of opportunities to stealth it a bit with the bow, use melee, use your guns and gadgets. The combat's sort of what you make of it, if you just use the assault rifle and try and sit behind cover, it'll probably be boring, not to mention frustrating. But the game really incentivizes you to keep moving and mix it up in ways that feel really natural and fun.

I'd say maybe rent it, if you're not sure. The killcounts pretty high.

You're also going to be doing quite a bit more than killing people, though. It's not non-stop, or your primary way of interacting with the game, like you would be in Spec Ops.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: vvv so you're saying I should play it like Vanquish? Does Lara have rocket boosters? That would be best.

Haha. No rocket boosters, she's got sort of a loping, dodge/scurry movement that you use to zip around the fighting area, she's also pretty vertically mobile for obvious reasons and you get stuff like ziplines, etc. etc.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 8, 2013

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I will echo that Tomb Raider is greater than the sum of its parts. There is nothing that stands out as truly exceptional (outside of perhaps the graphics and the loadless world (outside of maybe Fast Travel? I dunno, I haven't done it yet) but the complete package is a very engaging and fun experience.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

I'd say maybe rent it, if you're not sure. The killcounts pretty high.
Haha...rent. I haven't laid eyes on a video rental shop in literally years. There used to be run down old Blockbuster half-hidden about a mile from here but it closed down.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha...rent. I haven't laid eyes on a video rental shop in literally years. There used to be run down old Blockbuster half-hidden about a mile from here but it closed down.

Ah. Dang. Well, I'm kind of biased, because I love the game, but I'd definitely say give it a shot.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Or even Uncharted"? That game has ridiculous kill counts, especially relative to how your character is characterized. Anyway I'm glad to hear it. I don't know if I can take another game where fifteen nondescript people appear off in the distance and I put a bullet in their head without ever knowing why we were fighting.

It's definitely a game where multiple enemies appear and you take them out in an arena type area. Thing is, these areas are actually not super common. Uncharted has these nearly constantly, only punctuated by platforming sections. Tomb Raider has not just platforming sections that break up the combat, but exploration as well.

And yeah, you should play it like Vanquish. You can actually be super mobile, it's great.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

You're in the Seattle area right Sanders? There are Red Box kiosks everywhere around here, pretty much any major chain grocery store has them [QFC and Albertsons are what I normally go to, and the ones I visit have 'em]

That's all I really know of for non-Gamefly rentals anymore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

You're in the Seattle area right Sanders? There are Red Box kiosks everywhere around here, pretty much any major chain grocery store has them [QFC and Albertsons are what I normally go to, and the ones I visit have 'em]

That's all I really know of for non-Gamefly rentals anymore.
No, Honolulu now. And I guess there is a Redbox in the Wal-Mart nearby, now that I think about it, but I just don't like going there.

As for Gamefly, I tried them in Seattle but quit after a few months because the turnaround time was horrendous and they never had the games I wanted. In fact, they should have just put a sign on their website that said "You know that game you want to play? We don't have it, so don't bother. We do have a million copies of other games that you don't want to play and each cost less than our monthly subscription though."

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 8, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tomb Raider is fun but it really feels like the kind of game you'd want to rent. It has massive kill counts and a fairly linear story. It does what it does quite well but it probably isn't worth $60 unless that sort of thing really works for you. It's completely worth playing though.

cat doter posted:

It's definitely a game where multiple enemies appear and you take them out in an arena type area. Thing is, these areas are actually not super common. Uncharted has these nearly constantly, only punctuated by platforming sections. Tomb Raider has not just platforming sections that break up the combat, but exploration as well.

And yeah, you should play it like Vanquish. You can actually be super mobile, it's great.

Eh, there isn't really a lot of exploration. The main story has a fairly linear path and the collectables are generally just things you pick up or rarely a tomb. It's pretty combat heavy as well. It's not a bad thing but I got the cheevos for "Kill 50 enemies with the bow" and "Kill 75 enemies with the rifle" and "kill 35 enemies with the pistol" and "Kill 25 unaware enemies" and so-on in a single playthrough. Even assuming I didn't use any other weapons or kill any other enemies that's over 150 dudes dead right there and I certainly did use other weapons and killed many many more guys

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

At least you guys have the option for Gamefly. I live in Canada and there's apparently jackshit in ways of renting things these days. Rogers turned into a cellphone shack, Blockbuster went out of business, we don't have Redbox to my knowledge, and Gamefly doesn't ship here. We have "Game Access" instead but I've never heard of it and no one I've talked to has either, so be damned if I'm trusting them.

• Locked thread