Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Companies do not set prices based on what you, personally, feel they are worth, but rather the price where they believe they'll make the most money. If something costs more than you think it is worth and it is not a necessity (ie food, water, oil), the correct response is to not purchase the item. .
Well for me that's my call to action. I'm just not going to purchase Wii U VC games if they cost that much. Again, they're competing with free. And their emulators are far too bare bones across the board.

If I can get em as Club Nintendo rewards, though, that's another story. I'll save my coins and see what happens in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm just not going to purchase Wii U VC games if they cost that much. Again, they're competing with free.

Cool. VC on the Wii did pretty decently well for Nintendo (when they bothered to remember it existed).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Man, I was gonna jokingly post "information just wants to be free, man" but decided against it. Turns out I didnt have to!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Information is the only true currency!

:goonsay:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

kirbysuperstar posted:

Cool. VC on the Wii did pretty decently well for Nintendo (when they bothered to remember it existed).

In their defense, nostalgia tricks your memory into thinking there were more great games on old systems than there actually were.

I felt like I got a good cross section of games from all systems older than the N64, and that we got most of the really good stuff, with notable exceptions, some of which were for very good reasons. I quit buying primarily due to space restrictions, though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Again, they're competing with free.

I don't really count piracy as legitimate competition, regardless of the ease of which you can do it. And the kind of folks that would complain about a $5 NES game, when the only other alternatives to getting those games are buying them on the original hardware or :filez:, are probably just buying the original hardware (as is the case with me (anecdotal evidence!) or that whole retro gaming thing folks seem to be doing) or more likely was never going to buy the game in the first place no matter what the price is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't really count piracy as legitimate competition, regardless of the ease of which you can do it.
That's pretty funny because publishers do, which is why games get ridiculous markdowns on Steam and Amazon.

All I'm saying is that if they don't lower the price I won't buy. I'm not going to side with livid liquid, because he doesn't consider "just don't pay it then" a legitimate option, but I do. I can just play the games I already own in Wii Mode and that's that.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 8, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't really count piracy as legitimate competition, regardless of the ease of which you can do it.

Piracy is, whether people want to admit it or not, a fairly significant threat to sales for any platform. It's the ultimate competition in that once it begins, it never, ever goes away, hence why every console maker, PC developer and game publisher spend so much money looking into ways to curtail it. Being "legitimate" or not doesn't make piracy any less of factor for companies to consider. Piracy all but killed the PSP in North America. PC developers have been trying to find ways to combat it. Nintendo had to deal with the DS being blown wide open by piracy, and bootleg cartridges plagued them all throughout their early history.

Combating piracy isn't about just lowering costs so people who are tight with their money finally relent, it's about providing a better service that doesn't make people feel like it's not worth both their time AND money to work with your paywall. That's kinda why Steam is so loving successful, while the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS eShops are long-standing jokes in the industry (even after Sony told their PSN customers "Tough rocks, get ready to buy poo poo again.")

Nintendo is telling people that you can only get maximum functionality out of a game you already own by paying a little extra, after going through a frankly ridiculous system transfer program that is the direct result of Nintendo having its head stuck clear up it's rear end with regards to this whole internet thing they told the world nobody really cares about when it comes to their videogames. Sorta like that whole HD thing some folks like to parade around as overrated. Sure, you can just settle and take the extra step to play a VC game in Wii Mode and not pay for the convenience of having your already purchased games be available outside of Wii mode, and the ability to play your VC games from the Wii on your Gamepad, but that still kinda sucks. Pretending that this "isn't a big deal" because people (one poster on Something Awful) are "overreacting" is a little weird to me.

For what it's worth, they haven't charged extra for 3DS VC games they've updated the emulators for (Ice Climbers I think was the one I remember offhand). That took time and money to work on. Where's the arbitrary scale that determines when an emulator update for a VC game you've already purchased requires extra cash from someone?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

That's pretty funny because publishers do, which is why games get ridiculous markdowns on Steam and Amazon.

If only any of the three console publishers would do Steam-caliber sales.

All I'm saying is that if they don't lower the price I won't buy. I'm not going to side with livid liquid, because he doesn't consider "just don't pay it then" a legitimate option, but I do. I can just play the games I already own in Wii Mode and that's that.

And that's a valid stance to take. I have a shitload of Wii VC games that I transferred over from my old Wii, and I can play them whenever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

I dunno, Ubisoft just had a big sale on Wii U, and Frozenbyte has put Trine on sale multiple times, and any publisher has the freedom to mark their game down on eShop as deep and as often as they want. It's the one concession that Nintendo has made that I'd like Sony and Microsoft to make.

VC is kind of the only thing I don't like about the 3DS/Wii U eShop. Some of my other issues I think will be rectified when they extend it to mobile phones/web browsers.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I dunno, Ubisoft just had a big sale on Wii U, and Frozenbyte has put Trine on sale multiple times, and any publisher has the freedom to mark their game down on eShop as deep and as often as they want. It's the one concession that Nintendo has made that I'd like Sony and Microsoft to make.

I know Nintendo did a couple of sales on the 3DS eShop, but those seem to be pretty infrequent. The only hope at this point would be if Nintendo does regular sales with their Virtual Console stuff. If not them than third parties, provided they actually release games on the eShop, Virtual Console or otherwise.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Microsoft just did a week of big sales on the 360 and Sony has been doing the PS+ stuff and have been doing sales for a while too. They're finally starting to realize that Steam making money hand over fist and Steam having great sales might actually be connected.

e: Speaking of which, the VC stuff should have a PS+esque option. A few free VC games every month that you can play while you keep your subscription, and then some discounts on actual Wii U games on top of that.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 8, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

It turns out receiving from the Wii was only added in a later update, originally only the 3DS was supported.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Even people who won't pirate other things don't equate emulating nes games with piracy since there wasn't an option that resulted in the developer/publisher being paid for over a decade. I don't think the majority of people here are outraged by Nintendo's price point as much as they question the business sense of it. I bought a few older A list Nintendo games on the Wii, but shied away from anything I didn't have first hand experience with. A lower price point or subscription option would likely result in enough purchases to increase Nintendo's profit margin while being better for consumers as well.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

For what it's worth, they haven't charged extra for 3DS VC games they've updated the emulators for (Ice Climbers I think was the one I remember offhand). That took time and money to work on.
Wasn't that time and money focused on getting those games up to a level of quality good enough to sell in the first place?

From memory, the games you are talking about are the ones they gave away as ambassador games as an apology for the price cut, so the only people that got free emulator updates were the people who didn't have to pay for the games in the first place. Not that I necessarily disagree with the rest of your post, it was just a weird comparison to end it on.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It turns out receiving from the Wii was only added in a later update, originally only the 3DS was supported.

I did it on day one so it had to have been in the initial update, and if you don't have that you can't really transfer your Miis over in the first place!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Crawfish posted:

Wasn't that time and money focused on getting those games up to a level of quality good enough to sell in the first place?

From memory, the games you are talking about are the ones they gave away as ambassador games as an apology for the price cut, so the only people that got free emulator updates were the people who didn't have to pay for the games in the first place. Not that I necessarily disagree with the rest of your post, it was just a weird comparison to end it on.

You're right, though I still feel the comparison stands due to similar circumstances: emulated game receiving new functionality.

Honestly I don't think they've done a particularly good job at justifying the cost of Ice Climbers. The limited functionality in the emulator for a fairly sub-par NES game, priced at five bucks, is a joke. If limited save states and the inability to even remap controls is what Nintendo thinks makes their emulator reach the "quality" to justify a price point, they're kidding themselves. The game runs no better now than when we first got it.

If people are going to defend a company charging money for what amounts to basic functionality patches for games we already own, then I hope those same people never, ever bitch about yearly releases other game series for being 60 dollar expansions.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 8, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/this-week-on-the-wii-u-and-3ds-eshop-3713

Welp, thursday passed and there's not even anything for the WiiU. God drat Nintendo, gotta give us something.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Honestly I don't think they've done a particularly good job at justifying the cost of Ice Climbers. The limited functionality in the emulator for a fairly sub-par NES game, priced at five bucks, is a joke. If limited save states and the inability to even remap controls is what Nintendo thinks makes their emulator reach the "quality" to justify a price point, they're kidding themselves. The game runs no better now than when we first got it.

I don't think they are trying to justify anything, the price for a NES game is $5 dollars regardless of it's emulated features or quality of the game. They aren't charging more for these emulated features, it's still going to be $5 dollars on Wii U, 3DS and Wii.

If people are going to defend a company charging money for what amounts to basic functionality patches for games we already own, then I hope those same people never, ever bitch about yearly releases other game series for being 60 dollar expansions.

I really don't think people are defending Nintendo, people are arguing against bad logic. I think everyone agree's it would be best if the updates were free. People are trying to apply iphone and book reader policies to this circumstance and it doesn't hold up. None of the big 3 ever confirmed your purchases would be carried forward from one generation to the next and when the virtual console was in full force nobody knew Nintendo would create a new system years down the road where they would want to play games on their gamepad and get upset when they find out the update isn't free. Virtual console games still work fine and they still play on the Wii U... exactly as they did when you first purchased them.

I paid for Minecraft when it was in beta, why didn't I get the xbla version for free? If I buy a dvd/blu-ray and a special edition comes out, why don't I get the special features for free?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ghostwritingduck posted:

Even people who won't pirate other things don't equate emulating nes games with piracy since there wasn't an option that resulted in the developer/publisher being paid for over a decade. I don't think the majority of people here are outraged by Nintendo's price point as much as they question the business sense of it. I bought a few older A list Nintendo games on the Wii, but shied away from anything I didn't have first hand experience with. A lower price point or subscription option would likely result in enough purchases to increase Nintendo's profit margin while being better for consumers as well.

Dropping the cost of Super Mario Brothers to $1 has no chance of multiplying sales by a factor of 5.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Almost Smart posted:

It's been awhile since I've bought anything on the virtual console (like not since the original Wii released), but the $1.00 and $1.50 charges sound like they should be the price for the games, not for their updates. Is Nintendo still charging $5 and $8 for NES and SNES games respectively? If that's the case, they can promptly get hosed. I'm not spending that kind of money on 20+ year old games. How do they justify that when I can purchase PSone games that are orders of magnitude larger in size for $3-5?

There's a store near me that sells all kinds of games, from the first Atari games to the current crop available at retailers now. Their NES carts run about $3-15, depending on rarity, and whether or not they come with a manual or whatnot. I suppose if you're a collector, $15 isn't a lot to ask, and I know at some point, I'm going to have to plunk down a good chunk of change to play Crystalis. If it gets released on Virtual Console, then I'd be thrilled, because I'd save a few bucks, and because I can play the game on the Wii U pad while the woman watches Downton Abbey.

That said, a buck or two to "upgrade" the Wii VC games I already own is worth it for the benefit of the pad's convenience.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

Dropping the cost of Super Mario Brothers to $1 has no chance of multiplying sales by a factor of 5.

How about NES Baseball, or Ice Climbers, or Donkey Kong 3 and other lesser known or extremely short arcade games?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

You're right. It would probably multiply sales by a factor of about twenty.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Random Stranger posted:

Isn't this why F-Zero is thirty cents right now?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nintendo is more of a legacy company than Sony and Microsoft, and I see their practices being more similar to Disney. I see $5 NES games more reasonable than say, Disney cartoons. You could pay $1 for the latest episode of Adventure Time (and find it on Amazon, Itunes, wherever), but can you find an old rear end Donald Duck short from the 40s? You've gotta buy some overpriced out of print DVD set or kick rocks.

The flat rate isn't that bad. A crap game like Urban Champion costs just as much as masterpieces such as Mega Man 2. It also gives people who weren't around for the game's heyday a chance to try them out without having to shell for old hardware.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nintendo is more of a legacy company than Sony and Microsoft, and I see their practices being more similar to Disney. I see $5 NES games more reasonable than say, Disney cartoons. You could pay $1 for the latest episode of Adventure Time (and find it on Amazon, Itunes, wherever), but can you find an old rear end Donald Duck short from the 40s? You've gotta buy some overpriced out of print DVD set or kick rocks.

The flat rate isn't that bad. A crap game like Urban Champion costs just as much as masterpieces such as Mega Man 2. It also gives people who weren't around for the game's heyday a chance to try them out without having to shell for old hardware.
Hahaha oh man, now I'm imagining the outrage if there was a Nintendo equivalent of the "Disney Vault." Yeah I'd rather have arguably overpriced game downloads than something like that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Red posted:

Isn't this why F-Zero is thirty cents right now?

That's what I'm hoping Nintendo is doing with the 30 cents program. Of course, 30 cents is actually too low of a price since the money going to Nintendo is all getting eaten by credit card processing fees. I doubt that they're getting significantly more sales at 30 cents than they are at a dollar, also. A dollar hits the impulse buy perfectly and has been demonstrated as a good price to get people to step away from piracy which is the real competitor to the Virtual Console. And at their current pricing they're putting the VC games in direct competition with recent games.

Hmmm... do I spend my ten dollars on this new critically acclaimed game on a download service, a used physical copy of last year's hottest AAA release, a few popular games on my phone, or a Super Nintendo game. The only advantage the VC has is nostalgia and running up the price is pretty inefficient way to cash in on that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Random Stranger posted:

That's what I'm hoping Nintendo is doing with the 30 cents program. Of course, 30 cents is actually too low of a price since the money going to Nintendo is all getting eaten by credit card processing fees. I doubt that they're getting significantly more sales at 30 cents than they are at a dollar, also. A dollar hits the impulse buy perfectly and has been demonstrated as a good price to get people to step away from piracy which is the real competitor to the Virtual Console. And at their current pricing they're putting the VC games in direct competition with recent games.

Hmmm... do I spend my ten dollars on this new critically acclaimed game on a download service, a used physical copy of last year's hottest AAA release, a few popular games on my phone, or a Super Nintendo game. The only advantage the VC has is nostalgia and running up the price is pretty inefficient way to cash in on that.

This is why you can only put higher ammounts in your wallet in the store.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bombadilillo posted:

You can pay the exact amount on both the Wii U and 3DS. There's a big button that says something like 'Add Remaining Funds'.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

If you are short you are allowed to add only the difference you need.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My mistake. Guess I've been doing it wrong.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
eShop lets you spend the exact amount, but I think Wii VC still makes you use blocks of Nintendo Points. Or am I mistaken?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Minidust posted:

eShop lets you spend the exact amount, but I think Wii VC still makes you use blocks of Nintendo Points. Or am I mistaken?

You are correct.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Random Stranger posted:

Hahaha - what? No. Their biggest titles have likely sold like gangbusters - they're not selling primarily to an informed public.

greatn posted:

How about NES Baseball, or Ice Climbers, or Donkey Kong 3 and other lesser known or extremely short arcade games?
Those would likely benefit from a lower pricepoint. However, doing so would make people ask the question "Why is Super Mario Brothers 5 times the cost of this game?" and they would buy many less copies of Super Mario Brothers because they're actually price comparing.

Nintendo's whole strategy is to get you to buy their big games for a good chunk of change. I suspect it's working. They aren't really competing with piracy for most of their customer base because they aren't aimed at tech savvy individuals.

edit: Nintendo probably also suspects, much like I do, that most people will only visit the eShop a handful of times to make purchases - similarly to how when I've emulated in the past, I was really into it for a few days and then got bored and forgot about it. If your customers buys a game on their 3 times, rather than very often, you'd best get every dollar you think you can out of that limited number of transactions. They don't have Steam's advantage of having the store integrated with playing your games, they depend on visits.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 8, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think people would be able to assume Mario is more than Ice Climbers because it's a longer/better/faster/stronger game.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

I think people would be able to assume Mario is more than Ice Climbers because it's a longer/better/faster/stronger game.

Sure, it's definitely a better game than Ice Climbers. But that doesn't change that some customers, who were never going to buy Ice Climbers ever for any reason, might have second thoughts about buying Mario if you remind them that it could be cheaper.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I think people hoping this .30 cent promotion is anything more than just a promotion are in for a disappointment. It's a 30 year anniversary deal, they aren't secretly testing to see if it's more profitable to price games lower. They already gave the price for NES and SNES games when the service is launched.

I found this interesting quote from the Meat Boy guys:

quote:

And if Nintendo was really serious about it, Refenes and McMillen agreed that Team Meat would work on the Wii U at the drop of a hat if Super Meat Boy wound up in the next Super Smash Bros. game.

"Nintendo are you listening," McMillen asked. "Smash Bros! We would ask for nothing in return. Just f***ing use the character. Put him in the game. It's free!"

Probably wishful thinking, it would be great to have meat boy in Smash Bros, but considering there isn't a product to currently buy from them on Nintendo they probably wouldn't include it to avoid confusion.

They seem pretty bitter with Microsoft, this seems like a good opportunity for Nintendo to scoop them up. I don't know much about that Mew-Genics game they are working on, but it seems like they are targeting ipads/phones and whatnot and i'm sure it would transfer to the gamepad well.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That seems like a really weird request. "Put our character who has never been on your system (or any of our other games for that matter) in you game that's all about Nintendo All Stars and we'll develop for you!" :downs:

It's the other way around, chief.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

katkillad2 posted:

Probably wishful thinking, it would be great to have meat boy in Smash Bros, but considering there isn't a product to currently buy from them on Nintendo they probably wouldn't include it to avoid confusion.
Didn't stop Lucas! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Lucas did appear on a Nintendo console.

It's just that his game only came out in Japan. :smith:

• Locked thread