Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I'm guaranteed a raise if I pick it up, so in my case certs do mean more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

hackedaccount posted:

Can you mark the sim questions and come back to them later?

Yes. You could review the entire test again and change all your answers if you wanted as long as you were within your 90 minutes. The scenarios even gave you a reset button in case you wanted to wipe and start fresh in your configuration.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

routenull0 posted:

The IT Certification Megathread: Certs don't always mean more money

That was the point I was trying to make. Someone shouldn't be jaded enough to think that just because they knocked out a CCNP that they should be able to walk into an organization and demand $100k/yr

Easy cowboy, your sarcasm detector needs a recharge.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

I'm guaranteed a raise if I pick it up, so in my case certs do mean more money.

Some places are like that, but not all of them. I was just making points in a thread based solely around getting certifications that; 1) A CCNP doesn't guarantee 6 figures 2) You need a CCNP in the world of networking to get 6 figures.

EDIT:

madmaan posted:

Easy cowboy, your sarcasm detector needs a recharge.

Apologies, it was overran by anger section because SimCity servers are broken.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Turnquiet posted:

Yes. You could review the entire test again and change all your answers if you wanted as long as you were within your 90 minutes. The scenarios even gave you a reset button in case you wanted to wipe and start fresh in your configuration.

I am pretty sure the I didn't have a cisco exam that allowed you to go back at all. Did they recently change this?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

madmaan posted:

I am pretty sure the I didn't have a cisco exam that allowed you to go back at all. Did they recently change this?

When I did my CCDA last year (Feb 2012), you could mark and review at the end, but not go back once you've submitted an answer without "marking" it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

routenull0 posted:

When I did my CCDA last year (Feb 2012), you could mark and review at the end, but not go back once you've submitted an answer without "marking" it.

Weird. The CCNA is one question at a time, no going back.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Weird. The CCNA is one question at a time, no going back.

Between Feb 2012 and now, I have drank a lot of whiskey, so my memory could be slightly "fuzzy" and I am completely wrong. I want to say I asked the same question in this thread prior to taking the CCDA, I'll see if I can find it and the responses.

Edit: Cisco forums lean towards no going back or marking for review, so I'll blame the whiskey.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 5, 2013

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Neat, thanks.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!
With TSHOOT, as long as you don't answer the question, you can back out and go for a different ticket.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Has anyone sat the Security+ in Scotland at all? I am really wanting to get myself on the track to doing infosec work this year and it seems to be the right first step. I can find plenty of places offering courses but nowhere seems to offer just the exam.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'm going to start working on my ccna, I ordered lam's book as well as the switch/router the op suggested on ebay. I was curious if anyone can comment on how much lam's book prepares you for the ccna? I saw several reviews that stated it was a very good book but should not be used as a sole source. Is it advisable after understanding lam's book to pick up another (e.g. the other book in the op was suggested)?

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

Zaii posted:

Hey, congrats. I'm looking to do my 70-410 and then onto the 70-411. Do you have any resources you recommend?

Spambort posted:

Im taking the same route and any suggestions are welcomed.

If you have access to CBT Nuggets then the videos covering these two exams were pretty good, especially if you make the effort to write notes and follow up with experimenting in a virtual environment.
(Although your mileage may vary if James Conrad drives you mad)

I also used the official training guide for 70-410 but for the other exams they aren't available yet which is a shame because I found it pretty good:
Training Guide: Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012

If you're a powershell beginner like me then this book is a godsend, recommended by others in this thread:
Learn Powershell in a month of Lunches

I also got Windows Server 2012 Unleashed which is a pretty good book but didn't really help with the exams much to be honest.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

ApocalypseMeow posted:

If you have access to CBT Nuggets then the videos covering these two exams were pretty good, especially if you make the effort to write notes and follow up with experimenting in a virtual environment.
(Although your mileage may vary if James Conrad drives you mad)

I also used the official training guide for 70-410 but for the other exams they aren't available yet which is a shame because I found it pretty good:
Training Guide: Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012

If you're a powershell beginner like me then this book is a godsend, recommended by others in this thread:
Learn Powershell in a month of Lunches

I also got Windows Server 2012 Unleashed which is a pretty good book but didn't really help with the exams much to be honest.

I have a CBT Nuggets and that dude's voice is driving me loving crazy. He takes too drat long to explain poo poo, and his voice is annoying, plyus all the tangents he goes on.

For those goons in Los Angeles there is a pretty good Groupon going on right now. A+, Network+ and Security+ certificates for $99.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/it-university-online-20-los-angeles

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

hackedaccount posted:

Turnquiet posted:

Neat, thanks.

This is incorrect, you cannot go back on Cisco tests.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah we were talkin about Security+.

Thanks for the info on Cisco tho, I've been thinking about my CCENT.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
So I'm loving pissed right now. I just failed the CCNA Security exam for the second time, this time with a 773. I nailed both ICND1 and 2 the first try. I felt like I really knew the info on this but I think I botched a sim question. The worst thing? Thanks to the NDA I can't talk it over with anyone to see if I'm approaching it all wrong. gently caress you Cisco.

AntennaGeek
May 30, 2011

So, I managed to get dragged into a discussion at work where it was strongly suggested that someone needs to be thinking about becoming certified for Solaris.

Sadly, that someone is me.

Am I wrong in thinking that I should demand RHEL training/RHCSA exam as well, since they seem to want to make me into another all purpose UNIX bitch?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
What's the difference between the Microsoft network fund

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

b0nes posted:

I have a CBT Nuggets and that dude's voice is driving me loving crazy. He takes too drat long to explain poo poo, and his voice is annoying, plyus all the tangents he goes on.

Yeah I did say it's not for everyone, I have to listen to it with headphones on so I don't get murdered by my missus.
Once I got past the "Wacky" anecdotes they were pretty useful though

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've finally got a fire lit under my rear end to finish the CCNP before I deploy. Maybe while I'm over there I'll work on something weird like CCNP: SP.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

I've finally got a fire lit under my rear end to finish the CCNP before I deploy. Maybe while I'm over there I'll work on something weird like CCNP: SP.

The NP:SP looks to have some odd requirements, like NA:SP or any one of the older CCIP exams passed, but not an actual NP before you can take it. I was going to start on taking the NP exams this month to finish them by end of April, but I enjoy the SP world way more, so I might go that route, but first knock out NA:SP I guess.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CCDP is the same way, I believe. Although at least with that you only need to take two additional exams (DA and then Arch).

I'm not sure why they have a separate SP Operations track, since you'd think all of that poo poo would be covered in the normal SP cert.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

CrushedWill posted:

Have you scheduled your exam yet? I am hoping I will be able to get a test date before 31 July as all my studying has been against the PMBOK 4th edition, testing changes to 5th edition in August from what I have read.

Really glad that you posted this, I'm studying right now (scheduled a boot camp class for April and hoping to have the test done by the end of that month) - I do not want to deal with learning a new version of PMBOK.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

CCDP is the same way, I believe. Although at least with that you only need to take two additional exams (DA and then Arch).

I'm not sure why they have a separate SP Operations track, since you'd think all of that poo poo would be covered in the normal SP cert.

Yeah it seems like a easy choice to pickup the CCDP if you've already passed the CCNP since it is just another exam (if you've got a CCDA). Maybe I'll do that instead of CCNP:SP since I used the CCDA to renew my CCNA last year.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
A question for EVERYONE who has done their CCENT or ICND1: What percentage of the material is general networking and what percentage is Cisco-specific?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hackedaccount posted:

A question for EVERYONE who has done their CCENT or ICND1: What percentage of the material is general networking and what percentage is Cisco-specific?

80% networking, 20% Cisco. And of that 20%, a lot of it's pretty basic IOS stuff.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

psydude posted:

80% networking, 20% Cisco. And of that 20%, a lot of it's pretty basic IOS stuff.

Thanks man. Anyone else want to weigh in, that sound about right?

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
I'm currently studying for the 70-640 and after reading and rereading Microsoft's certification site, I'm still confused. I can take 70-640, 642 and 646 prior to July and get the MCSA 2008, which I can then convert to MCSA 2012 by taking 70-417. Then I can take 413 and 414 to get MCSE.

Is this correct?

The only reason I want to go the 2008 route is because I had already purchased study guides for the 2008 tests not to mention I've only ever really worked with 2008 servers in the real world.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

penga86 posted:

I'm currently studying for the 70-640 and after reading and rereading Microsoft's certification site, I'm still confused. I can take 70-640, 642 and 646 prior to July and get the MCSA 2008, which I can then convert to MCSA 2012 by taking 70-417. Then I can take 413 and 414 to get MCSE.

Is this correct?

The only reason I want to go the 2008 route is because I had already purchased study guides for the 2008 tests not to mention I've only ever really worked with 2008 servers in the real world.

That's correct.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

penga86 posted:

Is this correct?

640/642/646 aren't being retired, only the MCITP:SA and EA designations are (and exams 643/647). MCSA 08 will still be around.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

hackedaccount posted:

Thanks man. Anyone else want to weigh in, that sound about right?

Sounds accurate. I think the test is a breeze with the right preparation. The ICDN2 (for a relative newcomer to midsize business networking), decidedly less so.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
A friend of mine is looking into http://www.mycomputercareer.com which is a 8 month course that costs 20k (which includes the costs of the exams and a laptop) that gets you A+, N+, a bunch of microsoft certs and CCNA. I think that sounds like an incredible amount of money for this but I admit I don't know much about it. Anyone willing to look at the site and tell me if it's a scam?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Canadian Maniac posted:

Sounds accurate. I think the test is a breeze with the right preparation. The ICDN2 (for a relative newcomer to midsize business networking), decidedly less so.

Sounds good. I'm more of a systems guy, I want the CCENT on the resume so I can say I know a little about networks, and was hoping I didn't have to dive too deep into Cisco-land.

Thanks for the feedback.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

bigperm posted:

A friend of mine is looking into http://www.mycomputercareer.com which is a 8 month course that costs 20k (which includes the costs of the exams and a laptop) that gets you A+, N+, a bunch of microsoft certs and CCNA. I think that sounds like an incredible amount of money for this but I admit I don't know much about it. Anyone willing to look at the site and tell me if it's a scam?

Considering that you can pick up the books for all of the certifications combined for about $75 I would say, yes, it's a scam. If not outright a scam it is egregiously overpriced. They better be pretty impressive instructors to provide $19,925 worth of utility.

A+ and N+ can be studied for by someone not currently in IT and passed within a month. I'm being generous.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I just passed my CCNP: ROUTE exam earlier this week and have started looking for study materials for SWITCH. I basically relied on GNS3, the official Lab Manual, and the ROUTE foundational learning guide which was enough. I'm getting some free 2960s from work and now I'm just looking for a good book to study from. Amazon reviews say that both the Cisco Press SWITCH books are really bad and full of errors. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good SWITCH book or two?

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How in depth does the Network+ go into subnetting? Lammle's is going pretty hard at the material in his Network+ book and I wonder if he's doing so because it's his cup of tea or Comptia requires that much understanding of subnetting.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Pockyless posted:

I just passed my CCNP: ROUTE exam earlier this week and have started looking for study materials for SWITCH. I basically relied on GNS3, the official Lab Manual, and the ROUTE foundational learning guide which was enough. I'm getting some free 2960s from work and now I'm just looking for a good book to study from. Amazon reviews say that both the Cisco Press SWITCH books are really bad and full of errors. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good SWITCH book or two?

I used this book: http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/networking/lan/9781587141683 which is one of the foundation learning guides. I actually feel like its the "textbook" that the exam was taken from. That with a lot of labbing and I scored something like a 900ish on the test.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This is sort of a followup to my CCNA question but is it would attending a CCNA Networking Academy course cover all the topics for CCENT? I would have a conflict with the CCENT course but CCNA was fine and the cert I was looking for anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

forever gold posted:

How in depth does the Network+ go into subnetting? Lammle's is going pretty hard at the material in his Network+ book and I wonder if he's doing so because it's his cup of tea or Comptia requires that much understanding of subnetting.

Do you know what the Class A/B/C default Address Masks are.