Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

ganash posted:

It still cracks me up they got Kevin Sorbo to do the voice of a flesh colored hulk version of Hercules in which was it 3? Oh man that was worth playing the game period.

I totally recognized his voice as soon as I heard it, and thought it was brilliant. Just need to incorporate Xena now (unless they do, haven't beat it yet)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for Gamefly, I tried them in Seattle but quit after a few months because the turnaround time was horrendous and they never had the games I wanted.

Bad luck. They opened a center in Seattle not long ago, you'd get practically next-day service.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

Bad luck. They opened a center in Seattle not long ago, you'd get practically next-day service.
You mean they didn't have one up until then? In Seattle? I figured there was one there but its internal turnaround time was just garbage.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean they didn't have one up until then? In Seattle? I figured there was one there but its internal turnaround time was just garbage.

They're not Netflix. They have 5 centers for the whole US. When they first launched they only had one, in L.A.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for Gamefly, I tried them in Seattle but quit after a few months because the turnaround time was horrendous and they never had the games I wanted.

Musta been a while back... I think they have a Seattle distro now. I moved to Seattle last September and if. Game gets released by Monday, I have it in my mailbox Tuesday when everyone else is buying it...

[Edit] wow shoulda looked the next page...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The Tomb Raider thread actually has me thinking about The Last of Us. A lot of people are disappointed with the game, because to them it doesn't live up to the advertising about being a game about survival horror on an island. They were expecting a game where combat was few and far between, and each and every fight was kind of a tooth and nail edge of your seat showdown. Instead it's far more like Uncharted with a reversal of the platform/combating ratio, but starting mid-game when there is combat, they throw a ton of dudes at you. This is fine by me, and I think it's a great game.

What I was wondering is what will the overall pace/tone of combat be in The Last of Us. I feel like they have shown so little of the game compared to other huge AAA titles. I definitely feel like their advertising is pushing the whole "lone survivor(s)/survival horror/every fight counts" mentality. That one fight in the hotel lobby looked intense as hell. Will that be the standard for the combat in the game though, or will it inevitably turn into UC's waves of enemy approach? From reading a recent article it sounds like the standard enemies will be zombie hordes, although the article did mention you would often have to use stealth, because of these special very powerful zombies with echo-location. I think it would be really cool to have a game that focused on exploration, surviving, and had the enemy encounters be fewer, but far more intense. Perhaps zombies will give you the standard wave of enemy experience, but all human encounters in the game will be like the hotel scene?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Anyone else playing or at least interested in Atelier Ayesha? Just got released a few days ago, and I just finished the first tutorial part. First thing that struck me about it was it's just a really pretty game. It drops the cartoony look of the previous games and goes a bit more realistic, but still plenty stylish. Music's great from what I've heard, but I've only heard about five songs so far.

I'll certainly have more to say about the game as I go further into it, but it's off to a pretty promising start.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ayesha's waiting for me at my house right now, but I just spent the last month in New Zealand so I've got Meruru to finish and Ni No Kuni to even start before I consider playing it. I should probably polish off the last stuff in Graces F just so I can consider it done, too.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Sylphid posted:

Anyone else playing or at least interested in Atelier Ayesha? Just got released a few days ago, and I just finished the first tutorial part. First thing that struck me about it was it's just a really pretty game. It drops the cartoony look of the previous games and goes a bit more realistic, but still plenty stylish. Music's great from what I've heard, but I've only heard about five songs so far.

I'll certainly have more to say about the game as I go further into it, but it's off to a pretty promising start.

I'm very interested, but I have to wait a few months to get it since I'm clearing my backlog. How does the dub hold up compared to the one in Totori? Totori had hands down the best dub of the three originals as far as I'm concerned, so I'm pretty curious how it compares since there's no dual audio this time.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I'm very interested, but I have to wait a few months to get it since I'm clearing my backlog. How does the dub hold up compared to the one in Totori? Totori had hands down the best dub of the three originals as far as I'm concerned, so I'm pretty curious how it compares since there's no dual audio this time.

Dub is fine so far. I've heard a lot of complaints about Ayesha's voice, but honestly, I think it's fine. She sounds about how you'd expect a girl not in her 20s to sound. Only problem I have so far is that there's a character who shows up early on, who has a very, very familiar voice, and it's agonizing me thinking who it is, but that's just me.

Anyway, couple more hours into it, and I'm definitely thinking it's the best of the Atelier RPGs on the PS3. Graphics and character design are fantastic of course, music is also great, and the lack of using portraits for talking (there's still CGs, naturally) I think helps, since the developers put a lot of effort into the character animations, and they make the scenes pretty lively. I'm still getting used to the mechanics a bit since they changed how a few things work, but I don't think a person familiar with how these games work will get too stumped on the changes. From what I've seen so far, there's a lot more focus on adventuring, and I mean that in that you're constantly uncovering new areas by yourself, and you're out in the wilderness more often.

The intro movie you get when Ayesha officially begins her journey is honestly amazing, is about how I'd put it. Music is great for it, and it's just nice and flashy without being overdone. The tutorial moves at a brisk pace, so don't worry about really long, boring tutorial segments either. One thing I should also mention is that you're more or less thrown into the world without a big explanation about it. All you know at the start is there's a ton of ruins around the world, there's not much civilization, and people eek out their existence by living alongside each other mostly in small communities. The game kinda introduces you to the world as you get to new areas and you learn more about it, kinda like how you learned more of Kratos' backstory in God of War I the further you progressed, without one elaborate scene that explains everything. Gust definitely has been improving their work on the PS3 over the past four years, and it certainly shows.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Has anyone put enough hours into the Tomb Raider multiplayer to recommend it? How similar is it to the UC2/UC3 multiplayer?

I honestly can't see myself spending $60 on a non-rpg singleplayer game anymore.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Policenaut posted:

At least you guys have the option for Gamefly. I live in Canada and there's apparently jackshit in ways of renting things these days. Rogers turned into a cellphone shack, Blockbuster went out of business, we don't have Redbox to my knowledge, and Gamefly doesn't ship here. We have "Game Access" instead but I've never heard of it and no one I've talked to has either, so be damned if I'm trusting them.

I live in Edmonton and gameaccess worked really well. There was even a time where they had sent out a game, but it didnt get to me within the time period so I contact them. They asked me to wait a couple more days and if the game didnt show up, they would re-send it. Nothing came so they did and the next one came. Shortly after that they stopped putting their logo on the envelopes.

The only reason I stopped using them is because the Edmonton Public Library stepped up their game and have AAA titles now, so theres no reason to pay a monthly or yearly fee for mailed game rentals when i can stroll over to the library and get that same game for a fraction of the price, and also, PS+.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
For what it's worth, Sanders, when I lived in Honolulu I was able to get my Gamefly games from LA usually by Friday or Saturday after they came out. For me that was definitely good enough, since I basically just put all the release dates a week later in my head and played tons of games I never would have been able to stomach purchasing. You might have better luck than you'd think there, depending on what you want to get out of it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cardboard Fox posted:

Has anyone put enough hours into the Tomb Raider multiplayer to recommend it? How similar is it to the UC2/UC3 multiplayer?

I honestly can't see myself spending $60 on a non-rpg singleplayer game anymore.

If you're okay with digital, go share it with someone in the PSN share thread. You'll pay $30 each.

(Multi is apparently not that great. It's not going to keep people playing for very long)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I use GameAccess. It works fine for me. I get a new release on a Wednesday typically, but I do live very close to them. They're based in Montreal.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cardboard Fox posted:

Bioshock Infinite. :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krad posted:

Of the recent games that have teased me mercilessly with tiny hints of Metroid gameplay, that might be the one I end up getting.

edit: speaking of that, when the hell is the price on Dishonored going to drop? I want to try that but I heard it's really short.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 8, 2013

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Ineffiable posted:

If you're okay with digital, go share it with someone in the PSN share thread. You'll pay $30 each.

(Multi is apparently not that great. It's not going to keep people playing for very long)

I may do that if I can get some of these games off my PS3 hard drive. I have almost no space, and Tomb Raider sounds like a large game.

Krad posted:

Yea, so far I think I'll have to break my rule for Ni No Kuni and Bioshock Infinite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I may do that if I can get some of these games off my PS3 hard drive. I have almost no space, and Tomb Raider sounds like a large game.

Yea, so far I think I'll have to break my rule for Ni No Kuni and Bioshock Infinite.

Ni No Kuni is an RPG tho'.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tomb Raider is 8 gigs.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

ImpAtom posted:

Ni No Kuni is an RPG tho'.

Woops. I meant MGR. I don't know why I said Ni No Kuni, that game has been on my mind for a while now.

I usually buy 1 new game a month, and if there isn't a good game that comes out, I save it for another month. This month's game is more than likely going to be Infinite. If nothing good comes out in April though, I may end up grabbing Tomb Raider.

Alteisen posted:

Tomb Raider is 8 gigs.

Even that is too large.

I still have the stock 60gig HD. :negative:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Just make sure you go into MGR expecting it to be dumb as gently caress, because it is. Part of it is intentional and very funny - there's a great deal of quick little gags, like a state of the art robot still not getting a USB cable the right way up first time, or Raiden's idea of a Mexico stealth mission being 'wear a sombrero' - but there's also a lot of super overwrought writing you just can't take seriously.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: speaking of that, when the hell is the price on Dishonored going to drop? I want to try that but I heard it's really short.

To be fair it's only short if you totally rush through it. The game has open ended levels and expects you to go explore, complete side missions, find the collectibles, listen to conversations, and really just soak up the atmosphere. If you just say "gently caress it" and run through shooting guards and don't bother with stealth or any of the side stuff yeah of course you're gonna go through it quick. I've put about 18 hours in it and I'm on my second playthrough now kinda rushing to see the other ending and get some achievements.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jjaarreett posted:

To be fair it's only short if you totally rush through it. The game has open ended levels and expects you to go explore, complete side missions, find the collectibles, listen to conversations, and really just soak up the atmosphere. If you just say "gently caress it" and run through shooting guards and don't bother with stealth or any of the side stuff yeah of course you're gonna go through it quick. I've put about 18 hours in it and I'm on my second playthrough now kinda rushing to see the other ending and get some achievements.
Well, even then, I want to wait until it goes down to at least $40...but its still sitting at >$50 everywhere, even used.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, even then, I want to wait until it goes down to at least $40...but its still sitting at >$50 everywhere, even used.

It's a really good game. v:shobon:v

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Stelas posted:

Just make sure you go into MGR expecting it to be dumb as gently caress, because it is. Part of it is intentional and very funny - there's a great deal of quick little gags, like a state of the art robot still not getting a USB cable the right way up first time, or Raiden's idea of a Mexico stealth mission being 'wear a sombrero' - but there's also a lot of super overwrought writing you just can't take seriously.

The Metal Gear games have always been silly with their presentation and story so I would be disappointed if Kojima and Platinum took that away from the game.

I played the demo and loved the combat and so far the only negative I really heard about the game is that it's too short.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

The Metal Gear games have always been silly with their presentation and story so I would be disappointed if Kojima and Platinum took that away from the game.

I played the demo and loved the combat and so far the only negative I really heard about the game is that it's too short.

It's got a lot of replay value, including a bunch of new VR missions. (and a bunch of new DLC ones which are gonna be free for a brief period.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you're the type of person who likes to replay action games on harder difficulties and likes to master a game with fair mechanics then MGR is absolutely worth every penny. I paid $80 for it (don't live in the US) and I don't regret it even for a second. Plus the FMVs are so god drat kick rear end.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, the mechanics in MGRR are top notch, as I expected from Platinum. However, it is really short, and some of the stages aren't very well thought out, and the camera is a disaster when it gets near walls (which is frequently, due to the previous point).

edit: Other than the final boss, basically all my deaths were in one of those fights in a freight elevator that action games always have to have. It's obviously ALL walls, so the camera basically never showed anything. I had to basically memorize the enemy locations and play it blind.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 8, 2013

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Mr. Sanders, you should scope the SA Mart for PS3 games a bit. Last week or so I sold Dishonored for like twenty bucks. I'm sure others could sell that low.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Green Puddin posted:

Mr. Sanders, you should scope the SA Mart for PS3 games a bit. Last week or so I sold Dishonored for like twenty bucks. I'm sure others could sell that low.
I literally just ebayed my copy for $25, so yeah, what he said.

EDIT: VV I don't think anyone is going to charge $30 to ship a game, dude. Which is what $20 would take to equate the local prices you were quoting ;)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Mail ordering stuff from Hawaii frequently isn't worth the money savings (if there is any, once you put in shipping) versus just getting it locally...

I'm gonna check one local used game place that sometimes has lower prices than others.

edit: About the money I was just saying, in general. There's the time issue also, add another two business days for Hawaii. I want to play a new game this weekend. Yes I am a big impatient gorilla.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 8, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It was $35, that's an ok compromise. I plan to do this 100% sneaking, is there a mode like MGS where if you're spotted its game over (just to save me the trouble of reloading)?

edit: haha, never mind, sneaking in this game (at least in the beginning with no powers) feels like sneaking in Skyrim with a sneak skill of 12 or so.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 9, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Learn to warp. Learn to warp at all times. Jam that warp button down. Buy level 2 instantly. It will make the entire game about a billion times better.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Stelas posted:

Learn to warp. Learn to warp at all times. Jam that warp button down. Buy level 2 instantly. It will make the entire game about a billion times better.
... but the game is still better if you don't try and ghost the entire game. That gets old fast. Get warp, get time stop, get double jump, and occasionally if you're spotted? Don't reload, just freeze time and hang mines in front of everyone's faces. Then get into cover, wait for time to resume, and laugh smugly.

Screw the chaos thing, you can get low chaos having killed every masked rear end in a top hat in the game.

EDIT: VV Yes. Even civilians will usually rat you out. Remember, you're wearing a crazy scary mask. Some won't, and they're usually quest givers, like Granny Rags. Don't kill Granny Rags :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 9, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah ghosting isn't going to be anywhere near as easy as I thought, but I still only want to kill people who are really asking for it, and not just everyone.

Also just in general, I don't have a good feel for how many of the NPCs are hostile towards me. Is it pretty much everyone? Should I play this like other action games and just make plans to either kill or not be seen by basically everyone I run into?

edit: this doesn't seem like a good game to play during the day, I'll wait for night to play more.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aphrodite posted:

I use GameAccess. It works fine for me. I get a new release on a Wednesday typically, but I do live very close to them. They're based in Montreal.

Skeematic posted:

I live in Edmonton and gameaccess worked really well. There was even a time where they had sent out a game, but it didnt get to me within the time period so I contact them. They asked me to wait a couple more days and if the game didnt show up, they would re-send it. Nothing came so they did and the next one came. Shortly after that they stopped putting their logo on the envelopes.

The only reason I stopped using them is because the Edmonton Public Library stepped up their game and have AAA titles now, so theres no reason to pay a monthly or yearly fee for mailed game rentals when i can stroll over to the library and get that same game for a fraction of the price, and also, PS+.

Huh, this sounds pretty good. I live a bit north of Toronto so maybe it wouldn't take that long to get something from them. I guess I'll give it a try, there's a bunch of games I've really wanted to play lately that I didn't really want to cash out sixty bucks for. Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah ghosting isn't going to be anywhere near as easy as I thought, but I still only want to kill people who are really asking for it, and not just everyone.

Also just in general, I don't have a good feel for how many of the NPCs are hostile towards me. Is it pretty much everyone? Should I play this like other action games and just make plans to either kill or not be seen by basically everyone I run into?

You will get an ability, Dark Vision, which makes this much easier to figure out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

You will get an ability, Dark Vision, which makes this much easier to figure out.
I have that (immediately got level 2), is it somehow telling me who is hostile and who isn't? If so I don't know what I am looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Haha. Ha. Hahahaha.

Persona 3: Soooo, finally beat that loving Reaper tonight. I've been trying pretty much all week, grinding, building special personas, etc. It was a long, drawn out fight, I took him down halfway with the Thunder Call method, then I missed and he killed someone, screwing up my turn order. I managed to get him down to like a pixel of life bar, he life drained someone hard, I got him down again, he drained again, and then I finally killed him. Probably an hour or so total I spent but finally, Koromaru dealt the final blow and he went down.

He didn't drop the Bloody Button.

Presumably because I didn't actually take the request yet, and he doesn't drop it unless you do.

I'm going to go kill myself now.

e. WOOOOOO GOT IT. Way easier the second time. I was way more aggressive, and it payed off. I kept missing like every other attack near the end, but whatever, it's history.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 9, 2013

• Locked thread