Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there, like, any journalists left in Britain now? Kinda surprising that there isn't room to employ Brown Moses somewhere. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Would he really want to work in the industry as it stands now? The SA Forums have more legitimacy.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Neil Wallis ‏@neilwallis1

After 21 months of hell for my family, CPS have just told my solicitors that there will be NO prosecution of me re my phone-hacking arrest

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Illuminati by Nature posted:

Neil Wallis ‏@neilwallis1

After 21 months of hell for my family, CPS have just told my solicitors that there will be NO prosecution of me re my phone-hacking arrest

Oh dear Neil - has the intrusion and harrassment been hard to take? Hypocrite.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a new post from my blog that David Allen Green described as "Fascinating and important" and which "should be read by all interested in law and media", which must mean it's good. "Elveden - Murdoch's Catch 22".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A tiny and mostly symbolic detail, but today BSkyB officially bought back the shares News Corp bought almost three years ago which kicked off the takeover bid, meaning it is officially over:

http://www.4-traders.com/BRITISH-SKY-BROADCASTING-9590190/news/British-Sky-Broadcasting-Group-plc-Share-Buyback-16369542/

(News Corp still own 39.1% of BSkyB, and made a pretty tasty profit - almost half a million pounds - on the buyback because the price is now almost as high as it got at the height of the takeover bid.)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

My regular contributor just sent me this about tomorrows court appearances, worth a read

http://brown-moses.blogspot.com/2013/03/hackgate-elveden-murdoch-or-king-cnut.html

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like another police officer is going down via Danny Shaw

quote:

Alan Tierney, a former Surrey police constable, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to two offences of misconduct in a public office.
Tierney admitted selling info to the Sun about mum of footballer John Terry & Ronnie Wood row with then girlfriend
Tierney to be sentenced on March 27. He's 2nd police officer to be convicted over op #Elveden. First was April Casburn

Not good news for the Sun journalist(s) involved.

[edit] There's more, could be a busy morning with Coulson, Brooks, et al appearing later, especially if the Datapool 3 emails have been ruled submissable as many people now suspect (which means News Corp is hosed)

quote:

Ex prison worker Richard Trunkfield pleads guilty to passing info to the Sun about a high profile prisoner
Trunkfield - prison operational support officer at Woodhill - was paid £3,350. He'll be sentenced at later date Another #Elveden conviction

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 8, 2013

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder if all the cases will be uses as precedent to prosecute Police whistleblowers in the future.

As an aside, I also find the Eye's stance on the entire affair rather interesting and orthogonal to the opinion in this thread. They bewailed the back door addition of the Leveson recommendations which got a big shout out in the thread. With the number of Politicians they embarrass they are rather worried about statutory regulations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another guilty plea

quote:

Another guilty plea at Old Bailey. A former police officer - who can't be named for legal reasons - admits misconduct in public office.
We can't reveal any more details of this third guilty plea today because reporting restrictions were imposed.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

So who is given then chance for leniency more, the police or the reporters, or is the sentencing equally harsh?
Is the prosecution going after the press and giving the charged police officers a chance to cooperate or vice versa?
I wold expect an institutional bias in favor of the corrupt police, unless there is a concerted effort that they be 'made an example'.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well the first conviction was pretty harsh, so I expect more of the same. All these guilty pleas aren't good for News Corp as now the journalists involved have to explain how they can be innocent while the person the paid off is guilty. It's all very bad news for News Corp.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another guilty plea

quote:

A public official - who can't be named for legal reasons - has pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit misconduct in public office.
Again - reporting restrictions prevent us from giving further details of the public official who admitted the offence at Old Bailey today

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Well the first conviction was pretty harsh, so I expect more of the same. All these guilty pleas aren't good for News Corp as now the journalists involved have to explain how they can be innocent while the person the paid off is guilty. It's all very bad news for News Corp.

Well, you see, he gave me the story and I paid him not I paid him to give me a story, so he corrupted himself QED I'm innocent.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Brown Moses posted:

Another guilty plea

Any particular reason why there is anonymity or reporting restrictions on these trials?

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 8, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hank Morgan posted:

Any particular reason why there is anonymity or reporting restrictions on these trials?

Likely it's because it would prejudice other related trials.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
In the meantime, enjoy Rupert's tumblr!

http://murdochhere.tumblr.com/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Missed by the press:

quote:

Southwark Crown Court 13 March

10am Court 3
BEFORE: THE HONOURABLE MR JUSTICE FULFORD
For Application for Dismissal of Charges
T20127351 MULCAIRE Glen
01ZT0809911 MISKIW Ihor
THURLBECK Neville
T20127364 BROOKS Rebekah M
01PL6469011

All four were involved with the Milly Dowler hacking, so it could be related.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
No chance they succeed, surely?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
For a bit of levity, I submit this cross post from AusPol. How does News Ltd's react to the suggestion of regulation?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Lizard Combatant posted:

For a bit of levity, I submit this cross post from AusPol. How does News Ltd's react to the suggestion of regulation?

They're only just now shocked that Conroy's a piece of poo poo?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

TinTower posted:

They're only just now shocked that Conroy's a piece of poo poo?

Broken clock I guess. He's poo poo all right, just not for the reason they're finally going with.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
4 Mirror journos/former journos arrested over alleged phone hacking between 2003-2004.

Guess who was editor then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21785103

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
The leveson talks have collapsed apparently

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Illuminati by Nature posted:

The leveson talks have collapsed apparently

The way people are talking it could break the coalition, bad timing for Cameron as well because of the Mirror arrests.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Christ, it's all go this morning, a police officer is being charged for accepting cash from the Sun for information.

It should also be noted the Mirror journalists charged today are all editors or deputy editors. All from the Piers Morgan era as well, so bad news for him.

More on the arrests from Guido

quote:

Guido understands former Sunday Mirror editor and former PCC ethics adviser Tina Weaver is among the four Mirror journalists that have been arrested this morning on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept voicemails

Not great timing for Cameron as he tries to avoid implementing the Leveson reforms.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 14, 2013

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The Guardian Liveblog of the Leveson talks has been fairly informative.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2013/mar/14/ed-miliband-regional-banks-live-blog

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
So, I guess we're watching this space until DC's royal charter proposition is debated on Monday?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Might there be a vote of no confidence as a follow-on, if the LibDems and Labour successfully make common cause?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Might there be a vote of no confidence as a follow-on, if the LibDems and Labour successfully make common cause?

I really doubt it - neither party wants to force an election right now I should imagine

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
DC is doing the same thing he did with the voting referendum. Force a vote on an bill no-one wants. It's a win win situation for him, either they get the water-downed bill through and the media is saved, or they reject it and the media is saved...precious donation money...

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Just popped up on the Graun

600 new claims made against NewsCorp thanks to a "suspect turned supergrass"

As the old thread mantra goes, There is always more, and it is always worse.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sex Vicar posted:

Just popped up on the Graun

600 new claims made against NewsCorp thanks to a "suspect turned supergrass"

As the old thread mantra goes, There is always more, and it is always worse.

This is the best bit

quote:

The revelations come at the worst possible time for David Cameron as he prepares to battle in parliament to protect the newspaper industry from what he fears is excessive state-backed regulation of the industry. MPs and peers are due on Monday to debate legal changes designed to tighten media self-regulation and ensure it is placed on a permanent basis. Labour and the Lib Dems are hoping to defeat the Conservatives with their proposals to introduce a law to strengthen the power of a watchdog to audit the work of a reformed Press Complaints Commission.

Cameron is not currently due to speak in the Commons debate, since the reforms come in the shape of amendments to the crime and courts bill. But the prime minister will face Ed Miliband across the dispatch box during a statement after the conclusion of the European council summit of EU leaders, and may yet be asked by the Speaker to make a Commons statement on why on Thursday he decided to pull the plug on all-party talks to introduce a new system of press regulation.

Cameron is likely to lose, raising questions about his authority and judgment. There were still hopes that he would seek a last-minute deal. Harriet Harman, shadow culture secretary, said: "I hope that even before we get to Monday we will get that cross-party agreement." Aides to Nick Clegg said he was not planning to talk to Cameron before Monday about press regulation, saying his efforts were focused on securing as large a vote as possible among MPs for a tough system of regulation. Clegg insisted the issue should be seen as above party politics.

This is hilarious.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Beautiful last sentence. I busted up.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Its going to be quite interesting to see how this vote turns out. If the Tories have any amount of sense they'll vote for the proposals rather than follow blindly behind Cameron. If the vote fails its going to be an utter disaster.

How fun!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

For those of you who are a little lost here's a break down of the main issues faced at the moment
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/15/press-regulator-battle-explained?CMP=twt_fd

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Oh, and there's this too

quote:

Phone hacking: Police quiz former Daily Mirror editor Richard Wallace

Former Daily Mirror editor Richard Wallace has been interviewed under caution by detectives investigating phone hacking at Mirror Group Newspapers.

The Metropolitan police confirmed on Friday that a 51-year-old man had been questioned as part of the Operation Weeting investigation into an alleged phone hacking conspiracy at the newspaper group.

Wallace attended a south London police station at approximately 1pm and was later released.

He was deputy editor of the Sunday Mirror between 2003 and 2004, before becoming editor of the Daily Mirror until 2012.

Wallace now works as a PR advisor to Simon Cowell in the US. He is believed to be flying back to the US on Saturday.

The police interview comes a day after Scotland Yard arrested four past senior Mirror Group editorial staff, including ex-Sunday Mirror editor Tina Weaver and current Sunday People editor James Scott, over what it suspected was a "separate conspiracy" to the News of the World phone-hacking, mainly involving the Sunday Mirror between 2003 and 2004.

Scotland Yard said in a statement: "A 51-year-old man attended a South London police station at approximately 1300 hours today. He was interviewed under caution (not arrested) in connection with the suspected conspiracy to intercept telephone voicemails at Mirror Group Newspapers, which is being investigated by Operation Weeting, and later released."

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It confounds me that Piers Morgan has eluded capture.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

It confounds me that Piers Morgan has eluded capture.

He naturally secretes a lubricant which makes him almost impossible to get a solid grip on. He's the journalistic equivalent of a hagfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He naturally secretes a lubricant which makes him almost impossible to get a solid grip on. He's the journalistic equivalent of a hagfish.

poo poo, you hit the nail on the head. That Alex Jones interview was like two hagfish squirming around each other in a tank full of their own secreted slime.

• Locked thread