Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lamont Cranston posted:

How much experience do you guys have with boots for artificial turf (the short stuff with the black pellets)? I'm trying to avoid ruining my Copas on the stuff and I'm generally seeing these two types of soleplates marketed as for artificial surfaces:

I have sort of a budget pair with the little nubs, but a) they're not that great and b) they're a little too brightly colored to use for refereeing in. Does anyone have any strong opinions either way, or some insight into the differences?

The last 2 pairs of boots I've had for Astro have had the stud pattern on the left of those 2. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My feet are wide which makes buying anything off the web a crap shoot.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Try playing in defence? Just a little trp humour for you there.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Scienide posted:

After a quite painful night, I got hold of some Voltarol for the diclofenac and some Deep Freeze ice pads and my ankle is feeling much better. Thanks for the advice!

As an aside, I'm a male in their mid-thirties with two kids I'd been hoping to play football well so I picked up the DVD Learn to Play the Brazilian Way. Even for an older player, I've got to say it was superb! Joining in with my daughter doing Ronaldo's was fun, even pulled a couple of moves off on the 8-a side!

Oh man when I was a kid I went to a "Brazilian Soccer School" with my team. I may have been a fat little kid but goddamn could I pull off some of those fancy tricks.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Playing is all about the fancy tricks until one guy gets so pissed he tackles you Roy Keane style

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...

Hegav posted:

Playing is all about the fancy tricks until one guy gets so pissed he tackles you Roy Keane style

I'd agree but some of the moves can be incorporated into your stride, even running at full-pelt. Not many though.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Hallowed Turban posted:

My feet are narrow and long so I don't have the same problem but I guess the best advice is to try them before you buy them. Do you live in the UK Cranston? I'd pop into Sports Direct, safe bet for a good price.

I don't, but I should be able to find a place to try some on even if the selection isn't always great. Really, my only requirements are that they're comfortable to run in for 2-3 games and they're black (and the latter is usually harder to find than the former).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Woop, my outdoor season starts St Paddys, can't wait. Spent the past 4 weeks getting a really good base layer of fitness in, started this week on the hill sprints and suicides. I've also been doing plyometrics wearing a weight vest, that poo poo is hard. I'm excited to actually be in shape at the start of the season for once instead of trying to half-heartedly play myself into shape throught the season.

Now to find out where I'm actually going to be playing since I played wing back on both sides, midfield on both sides, and up top in the fall. Couldn't find my goalscoring touch so up top is probably out(only one goal in the fall and it was a penalty). It's 11v.11 so goals are at a premium a lot of the time.

Can't wait to start playing again.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Shrapnac posted:

Woop, my outdoor season starts St Paddys, can't wait. Spent the past 4 weeks getting a really good base layer of fitness in, started this week on the hill sprints and suicides. I've also been doing plyometrics wearing a weight vest, that poo poo is hard. I'm excited to actually be in shape at the start of the season for once instead of trying to half-heartedly play myself into shape throught the season.

Now to find out where I'm actually going to be playing since I played wing back on both sides, midfield on both sides, and up top in the fall. Couldn't find my goalscoring touch so up top is probably out(only one goal in the fall and it was a penalty). It's 11v.11 so goals are at a premium a lot of the time.

Can't wait to start playing again.

are you still playing gssl

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Won the Division 1 competition at my local futsal place last week, and got in a brawl with a pitch invader about halfway through the second half. Awesome.

Then in our rec league 2 days later I scored a goal from halfway while filling in for our keeper, and also hit the post in a one on one from a yard out.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

NinjaSteve posted:

Won the Division 1 competition at my local futsal place last week, and got in a brawl with a pitch invader about halfway through the second half. Awesome.

Then in our rec league 2 days later I scored a goal from halfway while filling in for our keeper, and also hit the post in a one on one from a yard out.

I whiffed in a one on one from a couple yards out this week. Tbf the keeper had his hands all over my shins, but goddamn. Only about the third time I've ever beat the keeper so my brain hit the panic button and imploded in uncharted territory.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Fryhtaning posted:

I whiffed in a one on one from a couple yards out this week. Tbf the keeper had his hands all over my shins, but goddamn. Only about the third time I've ever beat the keeper so my brain hit the panic button and imploded in uncharted territory.

I've scored more own goals than goals. The only goal I've scored was a goalmouth scramble that I managed to bundle in, but the own goals, man. One was a first time volley from an opposition cross as I was trying to cut out the guy behind me. Another was a flick header that, instead of looping over and behind for a corner, went right into the top corner.

Whoops.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hardfl1p posted:

are you still playing gssl

Nah, playing in an "over-30" league now. The minimum age is actually 28, which is how old I am. I got tired of driving an hour plus for away games and only having 8 or 9 guys show up. This league is pretty local, 15 minutes or so is the furthest away, and we sit around a bullshit over a few beers after the games which is nice. The standard is pretty high, most of the guys played in college and I actually have 4 guys on my team that played professionally in the early 2000s. Another team has a guy that was a U-21 international with Trinidad and Tobago.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Shrapnac posted:

Nah, playing in an "over-30" league now. The minimum age is actually 28, which is how old I am. I got tired of driving an hour plus for away games and only having 8 or 9 guys show up. This league is pretty local, 15 minutes or so is the furthest away, and we sit around a bullshit over a few beers after the games which is nice. The standard is pretty high, most of the guys played in college and I actually have 4 guys on my team that played professionally in the early 2000s. Another team has a guy that was a U-21 international with Trinidad and Tobago.

i feel like we lead parallel lives when it comes to playing, gssl is way too much travel + half the teams are way too serious

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Eyes Wide Shut posted:

Sigh, just got confirmation that I will need surgery for the outer meniscus in my left knee. The MRI showed that it's torn all the way through at the back, so now they're going to do an arthroscopy to see whether it can be stitched or they need to shave it off from the back end to where the tear is.

The backstory is somewhat entertaining though, so I'll share it. Back in January some studs on the left boot of my Mercurial Miracles broke off during practice so I had to buy a new pair of shoes. I was kind of busy all week so I decided to go and buy a new pair right before the match on Saturday. I tried on the left boot of a pair of Total 90 Lasers and went on to try on a pair of shorts. Because my feet are pretty much mirror images of each other and I was in a hurry I didn't try on the right boot, so he could go and grab it while I was trying on the shorts.

My team and I get to the club we're playing an away game against and I start putting on my boots. After putting on the left boot I take the other out of my bag and it turns out to be another left boot. No one had any spare boots with them and we only had 11 that game as some of our team mates were on holiday, so I had to play. I did bring my old Miracles, so I played that match with a total 90 boot on my left foot and a miracle one on my right. Because of balancing and compensating the entire 90 minutes, I injured my right groin which I still haven't recovered from.

Somewhere in August I first went to a physiotherapist for that groin injury since it's not included in my insurance and I wanted to spend my money on visits strategically. However, since I wasn't in pain at that point it was hard for them to pinpoint exactly what it was so my physio told me to go to football practice just once and to play until I could feel that injury after which I should stop and come back the day after. She admitted it was a little unorthodox but she was really puzzled. The next day, about fifteen minutes into football practice, we had a small positional exercise going on where I received a poor pass, tried to keep it in with my left leg and tore both the outer meniscus and the anterior cruciate ligament in my left knee. They're not quite sure what to do with the ligament yet, it looked pretty bad on the MRI but my orthopedist wants to have a loot at it during the arthroscopy first. I've not played a match for almost 9 months now, and it's not likely that I will in the next 6 months either, which is extremely frustrating.

That turned out to be longer than planned, sorry! I'll end with a question: does anyone have any experience with spinal anaesthesia? I can choose between that and complete anaesthesia and I'm kind of intrigued.

It's been a while so I guess I'll give an update. I was supposed to have an arthroscopy on the 14th of November. Turns out, the orthopedist that was on my case was an assistant who had made a mistake because two days before my surgery I got a call saying the orthopedists had discussed my case as they always do before surgery, and my ACL was completely shredded as well, so they wanted to operate on that too.

Before that could happen though, I had to be tested to see if my leg was strong and stable enough to undergo surgery (I believe it's best if it's within 10% of the other leg, mine was actually stronger than my healthy leg because I had been training it), which it turned out to be. On January 31st, I had the surgery where they took two tendons off my hamstring which they used to reconstruct my ACL with. From my understanding, they also punctured my meniscus as it appeared to be able to heal itself if they did that, which I guess was the silver lining.

So, it's been six weeks now, and this is week two without crutches. It'll be a year before I can play another match, so I get my fix by watching a shitload of football on TV, watching my team and reading this thread. I'm not fishing for sympathy here, I guess I just felt like posting because this is my first serious injury and it made me realise I never really appreciated being able to do sports carefree as much as I should have.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
What is the best way to tell a player not to participate in future pick-up 5-a-side games anymore?

I usually play a kind of pick-up 5-a-side match over 90 minutes every weekend with some friends and those friends bring their friends as well so baically we now have a pool of 20 players. We organzie that stuff via email and doodle.

There is now a new guy in there for like two months and not only is he way below the average skill level, but he also is always late for challenges, goes in for high balls with his feet resulting in a boot in your face, his first touch is one of the worst ive ever seen and he absically takes the ball and runs head first into the next opponent.
If you try to tell him how to do stuff properly he's always really bitchy about it and for a little scrawny oval office he has one big mouth.
One of the guys was so riled up today that he almost attacked him and we are one of the chillest football groups around, never had anything more than a "shut the gently caress up" in ten years.

The loving oval office recently even recently started to tell people who have been playing with us for 5+ years that they shouldnt come to the next match because we had enough players and "he doesnt like playing with substitutes".

I guess I should talk to the guy who brought him into the group first, but ultimately I think I will calla vote on doodle.
Or should I just knock him the gently caress out next weekend? I really want to.

gently caress man, that sucks. For me, the weekly 5-a-side is basically the highlight off my week, so I feel you.
I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery, but don't overdo it,it will make things only worse.

ephex fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 17, 2013

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Adulterous Hitler posted:

What is the best way to tell a player not to participate in future pick-up 5-a-side games anymore?

The only time my old group had to do this, we took a two week break and didn't tell him. When we all showed up again he wasn't there. It was a bad passive aggressive way to do it, but it worked.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

I usually play a kind of pick-up 5-a-side match over 90 minutes every weekend with some friends and those friends bring their friends as well so baically we now have a pool of 20 players. We organzie that stuff via email and doodle.

There is now a new guy in there for like two months and not only is he way below the average skill level, but he also is always late for challenges, goes in for high balls with his feet resulting in a boot in your face, his first touch is one of the worst ive ever seen and he absically takes the ball and runs head first into the next opponent.
If you try to tell him how to do stuff properly he's always really bitchy about it and for a little scrawny oval office he has one big mouth.
One of the guys was so riled up today that he almost attacked him and we are one of the chillest football groups around, never had anything more than a "shut the gently caress up" in ten years.

The loving oval office recently even recently started to tell people who have been playing with us for 5+ years that they shouldnt come to the next match because we had enough players and "he doesnt like playing with substitutes".

I guess I should talk to the guy who brought him into the group first, but ultimately I think I will calla vote on doodle.
Or should I just knock him the gently caress out next weekend? I really want to.

gently caress man, that sucks. For me, the weekly 5-a-side is basically the highlight off my week, so I feel you.
I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery, but don't overdo it,it will make things only worse.

add him as a friend on facebook and cyber bully him into submission

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If this guy has even the remotest chance of seriously injuring someone, tell him straight to his face that he's not welcome. Who can really miss work because of weekly pick up? It's pretty courteous to talk to the friend first about it, as maybe he can handle the situation in a tactful manner, but whatever. The guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Just tell everyone to stop passing to him.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I like all the passive-aggressive approaches.

When my Tues night captain went mercenary and formed an alliance with three guys that had no business playing at that low of a level (30+ super casual), he was kind enough to send me a text that said I was now "in reserve". rear end.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I am a big fan of some of those ideas, but I honestly think that he might not be bright enough to understand it or react in the desired ways.
Might atually go with the "You're in the reserves now' after the vote :twisted:

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Coach him into becoming a better player and person.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Joking aside I had a similar problem when one of my mates brought along one of his best mates from school, who as it turned out was a greedy twat who took shots from every area of the 5-a-side pitch.

He was in my team so I just carried on and tolerated it but the next time he came and started doing the same thing, I just kept shouting at him every time and he eventually got the message and never came again.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I played with a guy who would just do turns and try tricks at every chance he got.

The problem was it was 6 a side and he would come back to get the ball from me (keeper) so I had to give it to him, then he would do something stupid in defense and lose it straight away. Then guess what happened? :ughh:

After being told to stop it several times and no improvement it got to the point where I snapped and said I'm not playing with that guy again if he isn't told to go, I go.

I guess I was calling everyones bluff at the time, luckily everyone bar 1 sided with me and told him not to play for us again (the exception was the guy who introduced him to us, so his mate)

I guess the moral of the story is talk to everyone and if everyone else finds it as frustrating then take a few people to your organiser/captain/whatever and ask him to ask the guy to stop playing.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I might eject another twat from our group, he keeps turning up and when it's time to collect, he always comes out with "I've only got my card".

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hallowed Turban posted:

I might eject another twat from our group, he keeps turning up and when it's time to collect, he always comes out with "I've only got my card".

gently caress that leech, let him pay the court fee at the counter with his card and then he can collect the money from the other players.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hallowed Turban posted:

Joking aside I had a similar problem when one of my mates brought along one of his best mates from school, who as it turned out was a greedy twat who took shots from every area of the 5-a-side pitch.

angry armadillo posted:

I played with a guy who would just do turns and try tricks at every chance he got.
I'm new to the sport, what does this mean?

I'm finally learning how to get lower on tackles. Next step: actually wrap up.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm new to the sport, what does this mean?

I'm finally learning how to get lower on tackles. Next step: actually wrap up.

It's a team sport and no one likes the guy who plays selfishly.

The first quote probably describes someone who keeps conceding your team's possession of the ball by constantly taking speculative shots that have no hope of going in. Taking a long shot every once in a while is fine - if you've got space and there's no pressure on you, have a crack - but otherwise it means everyone else on your team has done the hard running to get into a good position for nothing and then has to sprint back into position once you've wasted the ball.

The second example sounds like a guy I used to play with, who was decent dribbler but just didn't know when he should give up and pass the ball to someone in a better position. The game would slow to a crawl while he pulled the ball behind his legs and changed direction ten times without any penetration. Even if they're good enough that the other team can't get the ball of them, it usually makes the game really static and it's frustrating because the rest of the team feels uninvolved. Again, like taking speculative shots, every once in a while is fine and people will forgive you, but don't make it your entire game and learn when to recognise that you're just annoying your teammates.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

I am a big fan of some of those ideas, but I honestly think that he might not be bright enough to understand it or react in the desired ways.
Might atually go with the "You're in the reserves now' after the vote :twisted:

challenge him to a battle rap

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Here's an idea. Why don't you cry some more? Then print out this thread and show it to him with a trembling lower lip. Your type makes me puke. A vote on doodle indeed. Jesus loving Christ.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Breath Ray posted:

Here's an idea. Why don't you cry some more? Then print out this thread and show it to him with a trembling lower lip. Your type makes me puke. A vote on doodle indeed. Jesus loving Christ.

LOL I do feel sorry for you getting kicked out of a pick-up game and nobody wants to play football with you anymore:D

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Why don't you say that to my face, is it because you're extremely withdrawn and dislike confrontation and are in general a big baby.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I'm a very visual person so I thought it would be nice if we posted pics of ourselves wearing what we play football in. You can always blur your face if you don't want to be recognised or have really bad skin.

Let me know if you are all interested and I can make a separate thread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are you going to ask for pictures of our feet next?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Footwear plays an important role so I'd imagine most people would include a full length photo that included the feet.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Since you're apparently very self-assured about yourself, I'd suggest you make that new thread and start it with a great OP with a nice full-body shot of yourself and your gear.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Well naturally, but first I wanted to test the waters to see if anyone else would. I'm shy :blush:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Breath Ray posted:

I'm a very visual person so I thought it would be nice if we posted pics of ourselves wearing what we play football in. You can always blur your face if you don't want to be recognised or have really bad skin.

Let me know if you are all interested and I can make a separate thread.

I'll post a photo of my team after we won our Div 1 title last week. I don't have bad skin but I do have bad hair, can I blur that out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I can't wait to see this! I bet you have tattoos on your calf like a moron haha. If 3 more posters are game then I think we have ourselves a thread.