Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

Doing u-joints with a press or a vise is the easy way to hate yourself and buy more new parts than you needed to.

5 minutes with a flat screwdriver, a BFH, and a vise. I can quite have a jeep drive to me and replace a ujoint in under 30 minutes including taking the wheel off and pulling the axleshaft, even if the unit bearing hasn't been out of the knuckle in years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpR-DcRV08

Versus screwing around with a press, wondering if it's going to pop loose, wondering if the ears are going to break/bend, etc.

I'll use the vise+BFH method every time.

Ask me how I had to ask kastein to come to the rescue with a new yolk last weekend after using the vise method and bent the ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:catstare:

I don't care how much grease you pile into those caps, there's no way in hell I'm slamming them with a hammer like that. No poo poo you'll pinch the yoke; it'll probably be the least of your problems.

I had a '65 Plymouth Fury, so I got good at replacing U-joint crosses. I had a piece of bar stock cut to fit the yoke to prevent pinching when I hammered out the old ones. Never had an issue vising in the new caps...the biggest bitch was making sure they were perfectly straight before spinning them in.

My finest moment was recognizing a dying cap before the driveshaft let go & changing it out on my '86 Ram conversion van, right on the shoulder of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. No matter what Chrysler product I owned, I always carried a spare cross for it.

I own a Pontiac now.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 9, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
... you're missing the point. The needle bearings go around the trunnion, they don't see any impact. The grease just keeps them upright so they don't fall under the end of the trunnion.

And the "no poo poo you'll bend the yoke" bit - you're fundamentally misunderstanding this. Use a press or clamp wrong, or right (and have it bind a little by accident) and it WILL bend the yoke. Do the hammer method, and you'll never bend it without being a retard.

I do it like this all the time and I've never bent a yoke ear. I learned this trick after doing it ONCE with a press/vise/c-clamp, bending one ear, and having the axleshaft explode and take out my balljoints the next time I went rock crawling. Painful lesson, but one well learned.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I tend to work on older cars. They're frozen up tight.

I'm referring to the caps, I know what the pin bearings are and where they're located. And if you don't smack that cap dead-on on the first swing, a pin will pop loose. Press in with a vise, and the shock won't shake 'em.

And yes, I lost one too, after trying the hammer method & bending the yoke, in 1979. Stuck to slow pressure after that. Using an arbor press was dreamy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I live in the rust belt, where we just leave things out overnight to rust solid instead of using loctite :v: I've seen quarter inch steel plate brackets on axle housings rot in half and heavy truck frames crumble.

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree, because I've seen people bend axleshafts in a vise and I've done it myself, yet I've literally never bounced a needle bearing out while using the hammer method, having done more u-joints that way than I can count. You don't just put the cap in place and slam on it, you have to hold the trunnion up into the cap from inside the yoke while tapping the cap in, then once that one's seated and has the retainer clip in place, flip it over, hold the trunnion up to "split the difference" between the two opposing ears, get the bearings started over the end of it, then tap it in place too. Works every single time unless you are all thumbs.

I'll have to do a full video of it sometime... that video I linked is someone else's and he only covers a little of the process.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I think that you are just better at this than I. :cheers:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Following a recent snow storm, a late 90's Grand Marquis comes in on a tow truck. The owner claims his 17-year old son slid it into a curb and "something underneath broke"

Musta been some curb... :stare:

I didn't get a chance to get a picture of it; but when the core support buckled it smashed the fan shroud into the fan blade to the point where it won't spin at all. It barely ran when I started it and quick scan of the ECM revealed that it had overheated and went into "cylinder head protect mode". I'm guessing due to the weather he left it running for heat while he waited for help. Whoops. :doh:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 9, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm guessing he went up a center divider.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I've seen people with their vehicles left more off the road than on because they hit a curb so hard. I've seen one high centered on a decorative boulder this way :stare:
My biggest fear when winter driving is hitting a curb while trying to make a turn, ie with the wheels turned. Also, if you've never done it, mucking around in curb lanes or parking lots that haven't been cleared sometimes makes a vehicle jump what feels like a foot to the side. It's fun in a Laser, it's quite a ride in a minivan.

And since winter driving has been on my mind this week, I had the fun of trying to pull into a free flow lane only to discover that not only had no one cleared the free flow lane but had pushed the snow from the 3 other lanes into it. And there was a Semi in the lane next to me. That was embarasing.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Here's an update on my mechanical failure from earlier in the thread. I got my car back from the dealer yesterday. The new engine was completely covered by warranty. What concerns me at this point is that it drives better than it did the day I bought it, which makes me really wish I had had it inspected before buying it. But all's well that ends well and I have a decent city-car again.

I did like the 2013 loaner they gave me. It's as far ahead of my current Elantra as mine is from the previous generation. Leather, sunroof, satnav, and heated seats. Don't let anyone tell you you won't need heated seats in Florida...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I did it again. :tinfoil:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You sir need to get some kind of medal or lifetime achievement award.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

CommieGIR posted:

You sir have yourself a magic set of ez-out. Hide them good sir, protect them with your life.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Quickly, say three Hail Mary's and sacrifice a goat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Sir, we're going to need you to return your ez-snaps to the nearest retailer for warranty service, they are clearly not functioning as designed.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

kastein posted:

Sir, we're going to need you to return your ez-snaps to the nearest retailer for warranty service, they are clearly not functioning as designed.

It's like the 100 mpg carb legend, but with photographic evidence.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I hope you're practicing your fiddle skills for when the devil comes for your soul.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
UGH I just snapped an easy out in the remnants of a banjo bolt in an exhaust manifold. Also snapped a stud in that same manifold. And it's cracked now too.
I'm balancing out all your luck.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The entire known world is balancing his luck. EZ-Outs are designed to make your day worse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phy posted:

I hope you're practicing your fiddle skills for when the devil comes for your soul.

Want to know the scary part? That was a fully torqued down head bolt that stripped out.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CommieGIR posted:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 10, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Devyl, I have no problem with your .gif given the unbelievable luck of CommieGIR but your spoiler tags may get you in trouble.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

CommieGIR posted:

I choose to believe you could have gotten it out with your finger, but rigged up the ez-out as an elaborate hoax to troll AI

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CommieGIR posted:

At least you don't have to waste any money on lottery tickets. That ship has sailed.

You magnificent bastard.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

How the gently caress? He's a witch! Burn him!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CommieGIR posted:

Want to know the scary part? That was a fully torqued down head bolt that stripped out.

To be fair, one is at one's most careful when one's balls are hiding up in the liver.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So was that a triple square, a Torx, an allen/internal hex, or some tamperproof abomination?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

So was that a triple square, a Torx, an allen/internal hex, or some tamperproof abomination?

Torx.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My one success with an ez out was on the screws holding on the top of my brake master cylinder on my KLR-650, but those screws are as soft as aged cheddar cheese.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tater_salad posted:

You sir need to get some kind of medal or lifetime achievement award.
Here you go:

Have fun with this one gents.
http://www.says-it.com/achievement/steam.php

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't know what happens when you get to 5.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

I don't know what happens when you get to 5.

:ssh: I've done it 4 times now. With the same tool.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This then?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh, yeah

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

No way!! Seriously, this has to stop! Witchcraft!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just gonna cross post these pics...

Jeep Dana 30 carrier bearing. Near as I can tell, an axleshaft exploded inside the diff, wallowed out the inside of the carrier bearing journal, probably thermally and mechanically stressed it to the point that it shrank away from the bearing cone when it cooled, then the bearing spun against the setup shim stack.

Where's my carrier bearing? Where are my shims? Why are there marks on the inside of my carrier bore? What is happening to me? :ohdear:

Shims (well, the only shim that wasn't turned into a pile of metallic flakes) and carrier bearing journal are in great shape.

Highly polished carrier bearing bore.

So I put it back on.

And then I slid it back off again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBm07pl3A0

In all the diffs I have torn down, scrapped, and replaced parts in, I have never seen a carrier bearing spin like that.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

In all the diffs I have torn down, scrapped, and replaced parts in, I have never seen a carrier bearing spin like that.

That conical bearing shows every evidence of "False Brinelling". My best guess is that someone neglected torque-wrench calibration. Probably some alignment issues too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sir Cornelius posted:

That conical bearing shows every evidence of "False Brinelling". My best guess is that someone neglected torque-wrench calibration. Probably some alignment issues too.

The whole thing gets installed into a cast steel differential housing with the caps held on by two giant bolts each. Those cones are pressed onto the cast steel differential ring gear carrier you see in the pics - which part is false brinelled? The inside is simply spun from carrier damage from what I can tell, all the marks are concentric rings mixed with larger scars from debris balling up and chip-welding, I didn't even look at the roller bearings themselves as they appeared fine on the surface, unlike the inside of the cone and the mating surface it was on.

Those bearings are supposed to be a tight interference fit - most people install them either using heat/cold thermal expansion tricks or with a multi ton H-frame press.

The shim I showed SHOULD have been completely untouched - the way it's damaged indicates to me that it acted as a bearing surface for the cone to rotate on the diff carrier, in normal operation the cone and diff carrier would be a tight interference fit and the shim would see only compression forces.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
It's got whiskers :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sir Cornelius posted:

No way!! Seriously, this has to stop! Witchcraft!

To be honest, it took 8 hours to get that bolt out, with multiple failures and 3 destroyed drill bits trying to carved out a spot for the EZ-Out to get at.

I was about to give up when I finally heard the noticeable pop of a bolt coming un-torqued.