Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I was about to give up when I finally heard the noticeable pop of a bolt coming un-torqued.

Can be the greatest sound you've hard in ages in given circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I wish I had gotten pictures of what came out of it, maybe next time.

I was visiting with my father in law yesterday and my nephews were in town, ages 6 and 4. To help keep the little rugrats occupied, he always gives them little jobs to do. The job yesterday was to wash his almost new JD Gator with about 30 hours on it. He didn't keep a close enough eye on him, and when he want to start the gator to put it up, she wouldn't fire up.

FIL turned it over long enough to get it to fire, drove it down to the barn and it stalled again. Upon closer inspection, there was water dripping from the air cleaner housing ( oh poo poo ) and water in the muffler ( oh poo poo ). I pulled the dipstick and it was a quart overfull and a nice milky white ( Oh gently caress )

We drained it, flushed it out, and got it back right again, but I am disbelief the loving thing didn't hydrolock with a quart of water in it.

Also reinforced my decision to never have kids.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Farking Bastage posted:

I wish I had gotten pictures of what came out of it, maybe next time.

I was visiting with my father in law yesterday and my nephews were in town, ages 6 and 4. To help keep the little rugrats occupied, he always gives them little jobs to do. The job yesterday was to wash his almost new JD Gator with about 30 hours on it. He didn't keep a close enough eye on him, and when he want to start the gator to put it up, she wouldn't fire up.

FIL turned it over long enough to get it to fire, drove it down to the barn and it stalled again. Upon closer inspection, there was water dripping from the air cleaner housing ( oh poo poo ) and water in the muffler ( oh poo poo ). I pulled the dipstick and it was a quart overfull and a nice milky white ( Oh gently caress )

We drained it, flushed it out, and got it back right again, but I am disbelief the loving thing didn't hydrolock with a quart of water in it.

Also reinforced my decision to never have kids.

I'm not a farmer or anything but letting 6 year olds play around unsupervised with what sounds like farm equipment seems like a really bad idea.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Root Bear posted:

It's got whiskers :3:

Is it too much to hope that's not an actual Goodyear?

blaitarch
Nov 19, 2002

Root Bear posted:

It's got whiskers :3:

Pray tell what does that mean? Or what are those?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm afraid that's steel belt weave.

Nothing says pain like changing a tire with a shifted belt worn through to the weave without very heavy gloves on...you wind up with a tire attached to your palms.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's filaments from the braided steel belts inside the tire, coming out to play! This is a very not good thing.

e: :argh:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Nothing says pain like changing a tire with a shifted belt worn through to the weave without very heavy gloves on...you wind up with a tire attached to your palms.

Isn't that the truth.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

blaitarch posted:

Pray tell what does that mean? Or what are those?
Well, son, when a tire gets to be about that age, it starts growing hair in places other than its head. This is perfectly normal, and just means that it's becoming a man.

They grow up so fast.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

On the subject of tires with metal things sticking out of them, I hope this counts:

The Kevlar did its job, but it was barely a millimeter away from jamming the brake and locking the rear wheel in the middle of an intersection.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

The best way to inspect control cables/wire rope is to have an apprentice run a rag down the length of the cable. When he screams, and blood comes out, that cable fails inspection.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Bottom bearing of a vertical auger on a Zamboni:

Normal wear on a bearing:

Ran for months like that.. sounded like hell and was probably very very unsafe. It is supposed to be sealed.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not a farmer or anything but letting 6 year olds play around unsupervised with what sounds like farm equipment seems like a really bad idea.

A Gator isn't really what you'd call farm equipment, it's more like the middle ground between a golf cart and an ATV, usually with a box bed on the back.

Also, TIL the US Military uses Gators. Rad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Gators are those 6x6/4x4 quad tractor things that public parks use to haul drunks around in the back of.

Note handbrake. This is significant.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Gators are those 6x6/4x4 quad tractor things that public parks use to haul drunks around in the back of.

Best part of my old motorpool was drifting around in our 6x6 gators.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Unfortunately that style of Gator is not available with driven front wheels, they're all 4x2 or 6x4. This is also significant if the bed is full on the six wheelers, as the front wheels can often become merely a suggestion as the rears plow forward (especially if you have the tracks installed). This can be terrifying if you're coming up a hill with a side angle and due to the lack of real suspension the front wheels come entirely off the ground. Those things really need split brakes like a tractor. But yes, unloaded they're a riot and the diesels feel positively unstoppable.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The new ones are more ATV and less crawler. It's a slightly smaller version of this one http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/gator_utility_vehicles/recreational_utility_vehicles/850i/rsx850i.page

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

happened to a friend of mine at Buttonwillow

"So...I was chasing down an Evo into Sunset in 5th gear at full speed. Hit the brake pedal, heard a loud pop and went straight off because I couldn't slow down enough. Turns out this is what happened."

I never liked how wilwood attaches the discs to the hats. Everyone else uses a belleville washer or something to compensate for expansion and give some float. They just bolt them right down.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
That is a picture to send them with that comment. That is not the first part of the floating setup I'd expect to fail, either.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Oh man, we just put a Wilwood setup on our LeMons Camaro, because one of our guys insisted the stock hubs would fail...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Shifty Pony posted:

On the subject of tires with metal things sticking out of them...
I scored this once.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
UGH That's scary. Wilwoods have always seemed a little hokey to me and not anything I'd want to put up to genuine track use.
Are those slots in the rotors or pad printing?

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
i always equated willwood = brembo in quality..ive never really used great brakes outside of my cobra. i guess thats advertising and a high price for ya :downs:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

UGH That's scary. Wilwoods have always seemed a little hokey to me and not anything I'd want to put up to genuine track use.
Are those slots in the rotors or pad printing?

I feel like I see Willwoods on a lot of track specific cars. Im pretty sure Ive seen them on formula style cars even.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You do, mostly because they are cheap and light. After putting one set of rotors together years ago I said I'd never touch them again, but still considered them acceptable for a light, low powered car. This happened on an S2000 that is n/a and on street tires, and has brake cooling ducts.

For stuff that sees serious abuse I like Stoptech and AP racing. Brembo is good too but it seems like you're paying more for the name. Or maybe I could say that for AP too. In conclusion, buy stoptechs.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 12, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WebDog posted:

I scored this once.

Free wrench!

(not my photo)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrYenko posted:

The best way to inspect control cables/wire rope is to have an apprentice run a rag down the length of the cable. When he screams, and blood comes out, that cable fails inspection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ifgUuOukQ.

Ping. Ping. Kersproing. Two inch steel wire rope. This company has a series of videos. Dyneema vs Steel is pretty cool, too.

Ok. Two hours of youtube fail videos later, and something beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nypb8_HTenE

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 12, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Magnificent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I introduced Dyneema at my work, shits light yo. Expensive, susceptible to shock loading & can't handle heat but being 10% of the weight of the rope it replaced is a killer benefit.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I introduced Dyneema at my work, shits light yo. Expensive, susceptible to shock loading & can't handle heat but being 10% of the weight of the rope it replaced is a killer benefit.

This is somehow going to come back and bite you in the rear end :tinfoil:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Someone wrecked into a car dealership here, managing to hit 18 new Hyundai cars:

Where is the mechanical failure?

I don't think that is supposed to happen.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Along similar lines, a pink Micra loses control and tbones another car in a gas station.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Along similar lines, a pink Micra loses control and tbones another car in a gas station.

That's an Opel/Vauxhall Corsa.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, I'm pretty sure that's an Aston Martin, although it's hard to tell the difference.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Shifty Pony posted:

Someone wrecked into a car dealership here, managing to hit 18 new Hyundai cars:

http://youtu.be/Cxqgn_zxDKE

I think I've seen this before.....

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Beach Bum posted:

This is somehow going to come back and bite you in the rear end :tinfoil:

Shiiiiiiiiiit.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm sure the driver will conveniently claim that his car was :airquote: stolen :airquote: at some point the night before when they track him down.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

Jesus, it looks more like they were in the crossfire of a knock down drag out between Autobots and Decepticons for Transformers 4!

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010
Anyone thirsty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

BrumDart posted:

Anyone thirsty?