Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Hard to say but it might be that since the walls are so huge and there are no resupply stations on the wall, that maybe the scouting legion troops would submit to the elements or lack of supplies first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

That was just them speculating how the titans got in if not through the wall. I still think it's obvious the hairy titan is going around transforming people somehow.

EDIT: So on Page 14 Ryner says "Our objective was to wipe out all the humans within the wall." Could someone who knows Japanese read the raw and see if he does actually specify the humans within the wall? Because that would imply there are humans OUTSIDE the wall, which Ryner and Bertholdt probably came from.

No mention of the wall. Literally it's "this humanity."

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
:siren: Chapter 43 is out! :siren:

There hasn't been a single chapter of this comic that hasn't had me shouting "holy poo poo" at my monitor like some easily astonished child who is unacquainted with the beautiful and terrible things of the world. What a great series.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wow.

I like that the emotional climax of this chapter was Eren understanding the absolute enormity of what horrible evil people Ryner and Bertholdt really are, even as they pretended to be his honorable friends... rising with a righteous fury to oppose that unthinkable monster... and getting loving smashed in the face, falling impotently to the ground.

That's this manga in a nutshell. Understanding the horror of the world, being overwhelmed by a desire to oppose it, and getting loving punched in the face.

That said, I'm really loving curious as to the motives of these people who thought it was a good idea to kill a majority of humanity. I mean, not knowing the origin of the Titans, they are literally the most evil people in history. Even Hitler wasn't this ruthless or effective.

I badly want to know why.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If this were any other comic I would say that Eren is due for his mid-season upgrade.

However, since this is what it is, I'm going to guess that he's just going to die.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They did say they wanted Eren to come with them so they could talk. Maybe he'll just get punched the hell out and kidnapped, like Ymir is presumably going to be.

Also, if they're letting Ryner just sit around, I imagine he's probably going to have time to regenerate so he can make his escape.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus. It's like, half the chapter is two-page spreads. And it's really incredible how much the artist has improved since the beginning. the Armored Titan body looks really well-done in particular.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eiba posted:

That said, I'm really loving curious as to the motives of these people who thought it was a good idea to kill a majority of humanity. I mean, not knowing the origin of the Titans, they are literally the most evil people in history. Even Hitler wasn't this ruthless or effective.

They were kids at the time, they likely didn't fully realize the consequences of what they were doing. And if they came from a village outside the wall, I imagine what they had been told about the humans within the wall wasn't very nice.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Eiba posted:

Wow.

I like that the emotional climax of this chapter was Eren understanding the absolute enormity of what horrible evil people Ryner and Bertholdt really are, even as they pretended to be his honorable friends... rising with a righteous fury to oppose that unthinkable monster... and getting loving smashed in the face, falling impotently to the ground.

That's this manga in a nutshell. Understanding the horror of the world, being overwhelmed by a desire to oppose it, and getting loving punched in the face.

I think they might've just been dumb kids(same age as Eren when they broke the wall), and upon growing up with the humans, learned their mistake about trying to kill everyone. Annie was even told to hate everyone by her dad so maybe it's a weird indoctrination thing for the "warriors" outside the wall.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Nahxela posted:

They did say they wanted Eren to come with them so they could talk. Maybe he'll just get punched the hell out and kidnapped, like Ymir is presumably going to be.

Also, if they're letting Ryner just sit around, I imagine he's probably going to have time to regenerate so he can make his escape.

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought. They're going to try and bring the two confirmed titans inside the city back to their village with them via stomach transport

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Only way I can see this working out well for our protagonists is that Eren is knocked silly again for a few and remembers something his Dad told him about Titans. Or, maybe this might be a good time to unveil whatever other titan sect? there is out there as an enemy of these titans also. Otherwise, yeah it's gonna be tough to imagine a situation where nearly any of these guys gets out alive.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Breaky posted:

Only way I can see this working out well for our protagonists is that Eren is knocked silly again for a few and remembers something his Dad told him about Titans. Or, maybe this might be a good time to unveil whatever other titan sect? there is out there as an enemy of these titans also. Otherwise, yeah it's gonna be tough to imagine a situation where nearly any of these guys gets out alive.

The hairy Titan left near there not long ago, right? Given that we don't know why or where he was going, it's possible he could show up in this mess.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I kept thinking that someone was going to break a section of wall and a titan inside would wake up.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
You can feel the hate roiling off their faces on page 14.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Another awesome chapter. Also an anime for this? Yes! A very happy day!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Connie just in denial, or does he really somehow not realize who Ryner and Bertholdt really are?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah if they don't manage to kidnap Eren on their second go around it's going to look pretty bad when they have to report back to President Dad. Also they managed to snag Ymir and another probably-sleeper-titan.

Gyges posted:

Is Connie just in denial, or does he really somehow not realize who Ryner and Bertholdt really are?

Only a few people actually saw them transform, if you read the preceding chapter. Also Connie is loving useless.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

He doesn't know. He didn't see those two transforming, and has no idea where the titans came from.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Another awesome chapter. Also an anime for this? Yes! A very happy day!

There was a kickass trailer posted a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKzmOh4SuBc

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Will the show be made available anywhere online? Like Hulu or something?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jackard posted:

Will the show be made available anywhere online? Like Hulu or something?

I'd imagine Crunchyroll would pick it up?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I am so hard right now.

Fiancé still confused over my love of this series.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

I am so hard right now.

Fiancé still confused over my love of this series.

Some people just refuse to leave that inner wall.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I have the feeling that there's going to be some sort of twist where they are actually the good guys... Eren's not a bad guy but he's a titan. We still don't quite know their motive just yet so we'll have to see. Though they do appear as huge assholes at this point in the manga.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

I have the feeling that there's going to be some sort of twist where they are actually the good guys... Eren's not a bad guy but he's a titan. We still don't quite know their motive just yet so we'll have to see. Though they do appear as huge assholes at this point in the manga.
This isn't possible. I mean there's got to be more to them than we know, of course... as we don't have the faintest idea as to their motives. Sure we'll end up more sympathetic to them, but they can't be good guys. Too many people died thanks to them. This is as unambiguously evil as you can get, no matter the reason behind it.

And if I'm somehow wrong, it'll be incredible.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
To be fair, they are child soldiers, so they're "innocent" to a certain extent and the flashback that we've shown of Ymir attacking their family bound to complicate matter further. But you're right, a lot of people have died due to their actions, including Eren's mother. That's the reason why Eren simply cannot forgive them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I don't think I ever really thought about how dangerous the Armored Titan was before this chapter. Their only real weapons against these creatures are swords. We've seen titans that can protect their instant death spot before sure, but you could still at least attack them. Cut off fingers or limbs, inflict wounds to make them hesitate or stop an attack or divert a charge. Ryner doesn't have to worry about any of that. Mikasa not only broke her blades trying for a standard move that we've seen her literally cripple normal titans with, but she's literally sitting on his shoulder hacking constantly at his weak spot and he's totally ignoring her. This is by all indications the strongest or second-strongest normal human in the world and he gives no fucks about the fact that she has a blade at a spot that will instantly kill him, because there is literally no chance she will get through.

Meanwhile humanity's secret weapon Eren is even more helpless against him than he was against Annie. At least he was on relatively equal footing with her despite they fact that she could fight circles around him. Eren has landed two or three solid blows on Ryner and they've had zero effect, while Ryner exploded half his skull with one punch. TWICE. And on top of strength and an invulnerable body, it seems like Ryner is as good or better at CQC as Annie was based on Eren's bitter comment realizing how much he was always holding back during sparing.

Eiba posted:

This isn't possible. I mean there's got to be more to them than we know, of course... as we don't have the faintest idea as to their motives. Sure we'll end up more sympathetic to them, but they can't be good guys. Too many people died thanks to them. This is as unambiguously evil as you can get, no matter the reason behind it.

And if I'm somehow wrong, it'll be incredible.

I think maybe you're going a little too far here. Even completely ignoring the possible "child soldier" angle, these two were under orders from a superior. This isn't a case of them being Hitler and masterminding a genocide. Your position is that we should hold the bomber pilot responsible for dropping a nuke rather than the president or general or whatever who directed it be dropped.

Obviously I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING ORDERS has limits as a justification and doesn't cover truly heinous/immoral acts which is why it doesn't apply to things like prison guards who execute POWs or people who intentionally target medics and whatnot, but "number of people who died from the act" isn't a reasonable metric for judging that. All these two did was break down a wall.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Sanguinia posted:

I think maybe you're going a little too far here. Even completely ignoring the possible "child soldier" angle, these two were under orders from a superior. This isn't a case of them being Hitler and masterminding a genocide. Your position is that we should hold the bomber pilot responsible for dropping a nuke rather than the president or general or whatever who directed it be dropped.
Only because (at the moment) we don't know who's giving orders to Ryner and Bertholdt. They are mere foot soldiers--immensely powerful ones, yes, and their bosses are definitely more deserving of our ire--but contributing to the extermination of humanity is pretty drat horrible no matter how you slice it. Yet this series always has good enough writing that the eventual truth will probably destroy all my expectations. What secret is the wall-church hiding that's more important than the survival of mankind? What will happen with Sasquatch, Eren's dad's basement, and all the other mysteries? :ohdear:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sanguinia posted:

Obviously I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING ORDERS has limits as a justification and doesn't cover truly heinous/immoral acts which is why it doesn't apply to things like prison guards who execute POWs or people who intentionally target medics and whatnot, but "number of people who died from the act" isn't a reasonable metric for judging that. All these two did was break down a wall.

The only surviving relic of human culture is Pink Floyd.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

You're misinterpreting my point a bit. I was responding to, "They might be good guys". "They" in that case might have been talking about the kids we know specifically, but was referring to the alignment of their faction.

Yeah, it's true that they might be misguided child soldiers just following orders- a good deal less evil than Hitler- but their faction is pretty drat no-doubt-about-it bad. (Though I'm sure they'll have a relatively compelling motive, that I'm greatly looking forward to because I am utterly at a loss to imagine it.)

Also, they still seem to be working for their faction, even now. Considering they have a very good understanding of the magnitude of their crime, as they've seen the effects ripple through the remnants of humanity first hand in their years of being undercover, the fact that they're still loyal to their people makes them knowing accomplices at best now.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Sanguinia posted:

Meanwhile humanity's secret weapon Eren is even more helpless against him than he was against Annie. At least he was on relatively equal footing with her despite they fact that she could fight circles around him. Eren has landed two or three solid blows on Ryner and they've had zero effect, while Ryner exploded half his skull with one punch. TWICE. And on top of strength and an invulnerable body, it seems like Ryner is as good or better at CQC as Annie was based on Eren's bitter comment realizing how much he was always holding back during sparing.

I didn't get that feeling from it since it's more likely that Rayner doesn't have to be good at CQC. Rayner is just really strong and drat near invulnerable, he didn't even try to dodge anything he just let Eren's fist shatter against him.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 17, 2013

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
i really hope Eren starts doing some wrestling and brazilian jiu-jitsu on Rayner, goes for a double leg, passes gaurd, gets a mounted triangle and once he realizes titans don't need to breathe switches to an arm bar where he rips it off

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Elemennop posted:

i really hope Eren starts doing some wrestling and brazilian jiu-jitsu on Rayner, goes for a double leg, passes gaurd, gets a mounted triangle and once he realizes titans don't need to breathe switches to an arm bar where he rips it off

I'm betting that most of their training involves a lot less than that.

More that likely Eren gets beaten or he learns how to make bone armor.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

I'm betting that most of their training involves a lot less than that.

More that likely Eren gets beaten or he learns how to make bone armor.

What manga are you reading?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Thoren posted:

What manga are you reading?

Yeah, maybe Eren will get really angry because his friends are threatened and transform into a stronger titan form. Then he could try to make a speech about friendship, but since he transforms into a brutal monster it comes out as roars and attempts to eat random people.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
You never now. The other titans learned how to modify their forms. It is entirely possible that he gets a mid battle upgrade. Not too out of genre for anime.

Otherwise he gets curb stomped.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

You never now. The other titans learned how to modify their forms. It is entirely possible that he gets a mid battle upgrade. Not too out of genre for anime.

Otherwise he gets curb stomped.
You're totally missing the tone of this manga.

He's not going to pull out a mid fight upgrade and save the day. That's silly.

He's going to pull out a mid fight upgrade and get curb stomped anyway.

Crushing despair punctuated by ephemeral glimmers of hope that quickly fade back into crushing despair: That's the tone of this manga.

(The alternative of simply getting curb stomped without any upgrade is indeed a likely scenario as well.)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

It is entirely possible that he gets a mid battle upgrade. Not too out of genre for anime.

Are we reading the same trope-breaking manga that takes genre banalities and turns them on their head mercilessly time after time?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Reiner seems to be the strongest character in the entire manga by far. No one there can stop him. No one is capable of rescuing them. The yeti is a complete mystery so maybe he could take Reiner on, but his arrival would hardly make the situation better.

On the bright side, Reiner and Bertholdt may not be inclined to kill everyone when they carry Eren and Ymir off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only good thing that I can see suddenly happening is Ymir waking up and busting out of Bertholdt's mouth, which startles Reiner enough for Mikasa to get Eren out of there.

Of course that will probably cause Bertholdt to fall over and accidentally break the wall off, creating an actual breach through which the titans can invade. So yay, the good guys barely survive and the 2nd wall is for real broken.