Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It would have to be a persistent-world MMO and than you'd have endless bitching from a level-60 Refueling Boom Operator about how the forward controllers keep stealing the good award drops while the F-22s keep loving up aggro or leaving their lanes or some other nerd poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I'm calling dibs on the overpaid underworked CLS contractor..."Oh, you want me to do what? Hm, let me look...nope, that's not in my PWS. Have fun doing it yourself!"

*Goes back to my LSA, jacks off, goes to sleep*

*Makes $200K*

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Wow, that looks awesome. It even has TrackIR support and what looks like co-op campaign mission support?

Frozen Horse posted:

I've wanted to see a multiplayer game like this where it has a bunch of different interfaces in different game styles. Like RTS games? Play it as an AWACS scope-monkey! Like flight sims? Play it as a F-22 pilot! Like FPS games? Play it as a forward observer! Like dating sims? Play it as a Top Gun technical briefer! Like rail-tycoon games? Play it as a F-35 procurement tycoon! The dream in all this would be to make it all interconnected so the morale variable in the units being controlled by the RTS player depends on how well the dating sim players are doing and whether or not planes unexpectedly drop from the sky depends on how much the rail tycoon players were able to shave millions on their OBOGS bids.

Maybe DCS Combined Arms will get there someday... who am I kidding.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Frozen Horse posted:

I've wanted to see a multiplayer game like this where it has a bunch of different interfaces in different game styles. Like RTS games? Play it as an AWACS scope-monkey! Like flight sims? Play it as a F-22 pilot! Like FPS games? Play it as a forward observer! Like dating sims? Play it as a Top Gun technical briefer! Like rail-tycoon games? Play it as a F-35 procurement tycoon! The dream in all this would be to make it all interconnected so the morale variable in the units being controlled by the RTS player depends on how well the dating sim players are doing and whether or not planes unexpectedly drop from the sky depends on how much the rail tycoon players were able to shave millions on their OBOGS bids.

This post is awesome in that it it is laugh out loud funny AND I really want to play that game.

I'd be the SAR pilot fishing Goose corpses out of the water.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hannibal posted:

It even has TrackIR support

This is particularly hilarious given the Raptor's distinct lack of any sort of HMS.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat, I'm terrible at this. Sailed a few missiles past some SU-somethings and got blown out of the sky. After nearly cratering in front of the runway in the landing tutorial mission.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Arrath posted:

drat, I'm terrible at this. Sailed a few missiles past some SU-somethings and got blown out of the sky. After nearly cratering in front of the runway in the landing tutorial mission.

Sounds like "hypoxia-like" symptoms to me. I'd go see the flight doc.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Check this out, U-2 cockpits old and new (stolen from reddit):

DCS: U-2 please. I would totally fly around and take pictures of stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

In the DCS U-2 Sim you'd have to spend 1 hour in real game time having your pilot sitting there breathing oxygen to purge the nitrogen out of his system.

"You forgot to pick up your portable oxygen supply when going to the plane (CTRL-ALT-P-U-S) MISSION FAIL"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jesus loving christ I had no idea we were still operating the U2. :stare:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Sounds like "hypoxia-like" symptoms to me. I'd go see the flight doc.

He gave me a 500mg ibuprofen. I don't think it'll help my flying skills :(

I did score two kills, though! A friendly F-22 that was annoying the poo poo out of me when it cycled up to emcon 3 and painted me with its radar every 15 seconds, and a 767 that was just minding its own business.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cyrano4747 posted:

With plans to operate it until at least 2020+. It was originally supposed to be retired by last year, replaced by RPAs (mostly the RQ-4, also the RQ-170 supposedly), but with the Global Hawk program running into...difficulties, the planned retirement date has been pushed back. AFAIK the current fleet of U-2Ss are all airframes that were originally TR-1s, so they're relatively "new," being built in the '80s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Holy poo poo the text was a huge flashback (even more than just seeing the game show up in here). I also loved driving my A-10, steering with the rudder, bump the nose down and blast a SAM with the gun. I loved that game. I even remember that mission. Also, if you flew too high the guy would get mad at you. "You're in an A-10 not an F-16!"

And I'll definitely try TW2.

Frozen Horse posted:

Snowdens Secret posted:

It would have to be a persistent-world MMO and than you'd have endless bitching from a level-60 Refueling Boom Operator about how the forward controllers keep stealing the good award drops while the F-22s keep loving up aggro or leaving their lanes or some other nerd poo poo

For people who really want to experience, there's a way you can do it while getting paid poo poo and bossed around all the time to do dumb stuff...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yup. I got a tour of their deployed facilities on one of my trips over there. Lots of "For Sale" signs for some reason. Like seriously. There was a sign on loving everything.

saurkrautwerfer
Feb 19, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunship_2000

This game got me started on tanks oddly enough. Helicopters were pretty cool, but the manual described in loving detail pretty much every armored vehicle in use in the early 90's. The game was fun, even if I couldn't really play it on anything but the easiest level, and thought the FARP was the objective, and "decline" was some sort of pilot slang for "deck line" which I imagined was some other sort of pilot slang for "screw this I've got cooler things to do."

That and "Battlehawks 1942" sucked up hours of my early life, destroying countless Zeros, commie-FARPs (Foreign Anti-American person Resting Point?) and trains (god how I loved blowing up trains).

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Smiling Jack posted:

Graphics? That's adorable.

Holy poo poo. I used to waste so many hours on this game.

I have an old C64 in my garage. I need to find a video cable and see if I can get it to work.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Just use an emulator

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

priznat posted:

Canada supplied the US with a bunch of plutonium from the Chalk River Labs back in the day.

However a couple cities are designated "Nuclear Weapons Free" zones so are therefore immune from nuclear attack. Suck on that, North Korea! :smuggo:

Municipal tax dollars at work.

As a resident of the Vancouver area, these signs make me insane every time I see them. I think this is one of the stupidest things that municipal governments do - it's not much better in Vancouver now, but the sheer insanity of putting up a sign and expecting it to mean anything is pretty well ridiculous. I remember as a kid that the US Navy would have the odd aircraft carrier float in for shore leave, and people would protest saying that there were nuclear weapons onboard. Eventually, they stopped coming which meant that the carriers went elsewhere and we Canadians didn't get to take tours and see cool US military hardware.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

As a resident of the Vancouver area, these signs make me insane every time I see them. I think this is one of the stupidest things that municipal governments do - it's not much better in Vancouver now, but the sheer insanity of putting up a sign and expecting it to mean anything is pretty well ridiculous. I remember as a kid that the US Navy would have the odd aircraft carrier float in for shore leave, and people would protest saying that there were nuclear weapons onboard. Eventually, they stopped coming which meant that the carriers went elsewhere and we Canadians didn't get to take tours and see cool US military hardware.

And you didn't get to have your local economy and/or rape statistics bolstered either.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What official purpose would a USN ship have for docking at the home of Uwe Boll anyway? Isn't there a naval facility immediately south of the border?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The carriers never tie up in Vancouver anyway, it's a pretty tight fit getting under the Lion's Gate bridge to get into the harbour. I remember not even the Tarawa-class mini-carrier docked, just hung out in English Bay with the moored freighters.

Most USN ships go to CFB Esquimalt near Victoria anyway where the naval base is. There is a US Navy submarine base not far away in Bremerton but I don't know if there are any other large Naval facilities for ships (Whidbey Island not included) in the Puget Sound. Even so the time the USS Abraham Lincoln stopped by they didn't dock, just moored offshore and ferried sailors ashore.

The USS Vincennes tied up at Ogden point in Victoria one time and I went on a tour of it, that was pretty drat cool. Except for the whole shooting down a plane full of Iranian civilians :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rogers got a legion of merit out of it too :)

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

priznat posted:

The carriers never tie up in Vancouver anyway, it's a pretty tight fit getting under the Lion's Gate bridge to get into the harbour. I remember not even the Tarawa-class mini-carrier docked, just hung out in English Bay with the moored freighters.

Most USN ships go to CFB Esquimalt near Victoria anyway where the naval base is. There is a US Navy submarine base not far away in Bremerton but I don't know if there are any other large Naval facilities for ships (Whidbey Island not included) in the Puget Sound. Even so the time the USS Abraham Lincoln stopped by they didn't dock, just moored offshore and ferried sailors ashore.

The USS Vincennes tied up at Ogden point in Victoria one time and I went on a tour of it, that was pretty drat cool. Except for the whole shooting down a plane full of Iranian civilians :(

There's quite a bit other than Whidbey in terms of large naval facilities up there. Naval Base Kitsap is half the sub base at Bangor and half the shipyard at Bremerton, which is where I think the Stennis is homeported. The Nimitz is homeported at the base in Everett, as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

onezero posted:

There's quite a bit other than Whidbey in terms of large naval facilities up there. Naval Base Kitsap is half the sub base at Bangor and half the shipyard at Bremerton, which is where I think the Stennis is homeported. The Nimitz is homeported at the base in Everett, as well.

Well then! I had been trying to figure out why the carriers seemed to stop at the base near Victoria every so often and thought there just wasn't any facilities nearby. Turns out it must be the strip clubs!

Dunno why I thought it was just a sub base, derp.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

As a resident of the Vancouver area, these signs make me insane every time I see them. I think this is one of the stupidest things that municipal governments do - it's not much better in Vancouver now, but the sheer insanity of putting up a sign and expecting it to mean anything is pretty well ridiculous.

The effect of a nuclear-free zone might beyond not letting nuclear-powered ships dock there. My county is one, and they're restricted from doing business with any company that's deemed a "nuclear weapons contractor" unless there's a really good reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

The effect of a nuclear-free zone might beyond not letting nuclear-powered ships dock there. My county is one, and they're restricted from doing business with any company that's deemed a "nuclear weapons contractor" unless there's a really good reason.

That seems really pointless beyond an initial "feel good" item prior to election.

Edit: V :golfclap:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 12, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

Did they cut off your thumbs :ohdear:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

iyaayas01 posted:

With plans to operate it until at least 2020+. It was originally supposed to be retired by last year, replaced by RPAs (mostly the RQ-4, also the RQ-170 supposedly), but with the Global Hawk program running into...difficulties, the planned retirement date has been pushed back. AFAIK the current fleet of U-2Ss are all airframes that were originally TR-1s, so they're relatively "new," being built in the '80s.

I too was surprised they were still being operated, as a family member just got transferred to an airbase where their apartment overlooks the planes taking off/landing almost daily. Very cool to watch, especially with the pogos/chase cars.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

atomicthumbs posted:

The number of nuclear weapons contractors that also do contracting with municipalities at the county level is...small.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

priznat posted:

Most USN ships go to CFB Esquimalt near Victoria anyway where the naval base is. There is a US Navy submarine base not far away in Bremerton

Not really relevant to Bremerton (because of the big surface ship base nearby) but in general you don't bring surface into a sub base, or vice versa, due to slightly different requirements for mooring, shore power etc. It's more of an issue docking a sub because surface ships are less picky and tend to carry everything they need with them. I'd imagine there are security concerns with doing it at an SSBN base, as well. We pulled our 688 into Kings Bay once, but that was an emergency situation and they still weren't really happy to have us there.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

Phanatic posted:

The number of nuclear weapons contractors that also do contracting with municipalities at the county level is...small.

General electric, General dynamics, General Atomics... All the same GE we love in our kitchen and office! They make everything.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iyaayas01 posted:

I thought that the Global Hawk program was doing OK. With Block 40 (I think) on the way and the new NATO/EuroHawk version or whatever it's called coming under contract. Also the Triton/BAMS thing?

Haven't the electronics and surveillance system also been upgraded substantially in the U2 over the last few years?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not really relevant to Bremerton (because of the big surface ship base nearby) but in general you don't bring surface into a sub base, or vice versa, due to slightly different requirements for mooring, shore power etc. It's more of an issue docking a sub because surface ships are less picky and tend to carry everything they need with them. I'd imagine there are security concerns with doing it at an SSBN base, as well. We pulled our 688 into Kings Bay once, but that was an emergency situation and they still weren't really happy to have us there.

Yah that was my point, the carriers wouldn't be docking at the SSBN base because it wouldn't be set up for them. I had forgotten that bremerton actually was a full big naval dock. It was a cavalcade of errors but I didn't think the carrier could jam into sub pens ;)

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
When I was younger my dad took me to Bremeterton when the Missouri was still there before they sent her off to Hawaii for good. They weren't allowing anyone inside decks, but at least I got to geek out over the huge guns. gently caress I need to go visit all the museums near the naval bases around here, they've got this really cool one, the Naval Undersea Museum near Bangor Submarine Base. They've got the Trieste II there! http://www.history.navy.mil/museums/keyport/index1.htm

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Plinkey posted:

I thought that the Global Hawk program was doing OK.
Not really. This is a pretty good open source summary. It wasn't offering the promised savings or meeting the promised capability milestones.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Wow never realized that Jim Morrison's(of The Doors) father was commander of the carrier division that was involved in Gulf of Tonkin incident.

Also:

quote:

Admiral Morrison was the keynote speaker at the decommissioning ceremony for Bon Homme Richard, his first ship as an admiral, on July 3, 1971 in Washington D.C., the same day his son, Jim Morrison, died in Paris, France at age 27.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephen_Morrison

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Mike-o posted:

When I was younger my dad took me to Bremeterton when the Missouri was still there before they sent her off to Hawaii for good. They weren't allowing anyone inside decks, but at least I got to geek out over the huge guns. gently caress I need to go visit all the museums near the naval bases around here, they've got this really cool one, the Naval Undersea Museum near Bangor Submarine Base. They've got the Trieste II there! http://www.history.navy.mil/museums/keyport/index1.htm
The Naval Undersea Museum is surprisingly good. Not only do they have the Trieste II, they also have a Kaiten (kamikaze torpedo) that's cutaway so you can see how it works, which is pretty damned awesome. And a slew of torpedoes and poo poo. Definitely a great spot to geek out. I about poo poo a brick when I pulled into the parking lot and saw the Trieste sitting there, though!

grover fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 13, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

canyoneer posted:

I too was surprised they were still being operated, as a family member just got transferred to an airbase where their apartment overlooks the planes taking off/landing almost daily. Very cool to watch, especially with the pogos/chase cars.

Have your family member say hi to Sontgan Sally for me :v:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not really. This is a pretty good open source summary. It wasn't offering the promised savings or meeting the promised capability milestones.

Yup. Cool concept, and we'll definitely eventually head down that road because let's be honest, the U-2's mission is like tailor made for a RPA, but it's just not there yet. And like that article says, we're still doing Block 40 and the Navy is still doing BAMS, so it's not like they're all getting sent to the boneyard or cut up for scrap, it's just that as of ~5 years ago the USAF was still set on having an all Global Hawk/no U-2 fleet by now, which is no longer happening.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

What, is UAV passe now?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hepatizon posted:

What, is UAV passe now?

You're way behind. UAV became UAS (system) around 2007, then UAS became RPA because the AF really really wants everyone to equate drone drivers with real pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I suppose it eventually will allow distinction between (mostly) remote-control and autonomous craft?