Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Reminds me when, I think in 2009, a bunch of people on Facebook started a thing to get Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' as the UK Number 1 Christmas single and did it, with digital sales only.

It's an easier undertaking in the UK, because our charts are based exclusively on sales. There's no airplay or streaming component. Of course, it was only ever going to work once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Sprat Sandwich posted:

That's pretty interesting. I know quite many people who use YouTube as their primary method of listening to music, but that's mostly because we don't have Spotify or anything like that. Although how do they deal with multiple views? People usually buy a song once or twice and you'd still get a relatively accurate result, but with YouTube and other streaming services you can't just use the view count, even with IP checks.

In other news Taylor Swift killed it at the Brits and was the only worthwhile part.

The views on Youtube are specifically calculated to provide commercial data. It's a far more efficient and accurate system of judging a song's true commercial potential.

quote:

Thanks to Content ID, Baauer was well positioned to immediately begin profiting when the Harlem Shake meme took off at the start of February. When the University of Georgia does the Harlem Shake underwater or a firefighter does it with a chicken, Baauer and his label get some of the ad revenue, as does YouTube. The people shooting the videos get no money because they are using copyrighted content. So far thousands of Harlem Shake videos totalling tens of millions of views have been claimed by the copyright owners in order to be monetized.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Benne posted:

Man I would hope they have some other way of calculating the Youtube data than simple page views. Otherwise, what's stopping a 4chan/reddit raid from getting, say, Anal oval office on the charts?

This video explains why 4chan can't make that happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIkhgagvrjI

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Going to see Girls Aloud on Monday. Really excited about it!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Going to see Girls Aloud on Monday. Really excited about it!

Girls Aloud loving rule and I will fight everyone who disagrees.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Balkans pop music is on the up and coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqUBkCAmldM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3j3lXp5bg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I'm afraid I can't agree, but that's just me.

Anyway, I've heard Shania Twain might have an album out this year or next. While it goes without saying that nothing she does will be able to equal the dizzyingly high standard (commercially, at least) set by Come On Over and The Woman In Me, is she in with a chance or has her ship long since sailed?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Their singles boxset is literally the best singles compilation in existence also. I hope their album/b-side/live collection coming out in May has unreleased stusio tracks, but knowing Fascination...urgh.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Their singles boxset is literally the best singles compilation in existence also. I hope their album/b-side/live collection coming out in May has unreleased stusio tracks, but knowing Fascination...urgh.

I don't have the box :(

About time with the b-sides, though. Oh and a HD videos release would be nice for closer examination of all the £50 choreography.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sprat Sandwich posted:

About time with the b-sides, though. Oh and a HD videos release would be nice for closer examination of all the £50 choreography.

I doubt any of their videos before Out Of Control were in HD, and to be honest; I'm not entirely too sure that they were, either.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Blodskur posted:

I doubt any of their videos before Out Of Control were in HD, and to be honest; I'm not entirely too sure that they were, either.

A man can dream :allears:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here into Ellie Goulding? It's been really difficult to pin down much of a community for her online that doesn't do anything but tumblr likes and twitter retweets. There's no forums for her at all that I would describe as alive. Maybe there isn't much to say about her, I guess.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Anyone here into Ellie Goulding? It's been really difficult to pin down much of a community for her online that doesn't do anything but tumblr likes and twitter retweets. There's no forums for her at all that I would describe as alive. Maybe there isn't much to say about her, I guess.

Hi.

I like her. You could say she is quite ...uncontroversial? She likes jogging? This is not a bad thing, by all means, but might have a hand in her not being very talked about.

She is the cotton sweater of pop.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Wow, I didn't know this thread existed! Sweet!

Blodskur posted:

Ellie Goulding is absolutely fantastic! Bright Lights was one of my favorite albums of 2010. I was pretty disappointed by Halcyon though. It seems like for every track that's loving incredible on it (Figure 8, Only You, Without Your Love), there's a track that's just horrendous (Explosions, Atlantis, JOY). She is really good live though, and if you have the chance, I'd definitely check her out.

Her featured tracks have been pretty neat, too. Her song with Calvin Harris is...very Calvin Harris, but her voice is good on it, and her track with Zedd (Fall Into The Sky) is just killer.

She's more popular than Marina & the Diamonds which makes me sad though, because Marina >>>>>

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
The new JT album is streaming on iTunes right now. So far . . . I dunno. It doesn't have the drive or the aggressiveness of Futuresex/Lovesounds, and it kind of sounds like he's trying to blend the beats everyone knows him for with some pseudo-soul stuff, like Cee Lo on Lady Killer.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think that some tracks go on a little longer than they have to, but as a whole I'm really loving this new JT album. It feels like "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" in terms of how ambitious, dense, and insane it is.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I spoke too soon, whatever that song is at about half an hour in (EDIT: "Tunnel Vision") is great. The album definitely takes a while to get going, though, and the long dance breaks in every song are a bit excessive (I'm sure they'll be cut down once they start invading the radio).

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 12, 2013

Genderman
Jan 17, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone here heard of Marina and the Diamonds? (edit: lol guess so) Apparently shes pretty drat famous in the UK but I found her stumbling upon her live recordings on KCRW. These are drat awesome, she has an amazing voice. I like her first album but these rule:

http://youtu.be/_O4rOGNyY9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqwT0W2JV1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDJyXL_iJc

http://youtu.be/Uc2zlmFDziA

If this was what her recorded stuff sounded more like she would be Kate Bush resurrected, except with an even more insanely sick voice

Genderman fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 12, 2013

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Genderman posted:

Has anyone here heard of Marina and the Diamonds? (edit: lol guess so) Apparently shes pretty drat famous in the UK but I found her stumbling upon her live recordings on KCRW. These are drat awesome, she has an amazing voice. I like her first album but these rule:

If this was what her recorded stuff sounded more like she would be Kate Bush resurrected, except with an even more insanely sick voice

I love Marina! The more playful and upbeat side of her first album is great (as in "Oh No": http://vimeo.com/35350145), and it while it took me a while to get into the quite a bit darker, electronic Electra Heart it's just as good. Can't wait to see where she goes from here.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sai-kun posted:

It seems like for every track that's loving incredible on it (Figure 8, Only You, Without Your Love), there's a track that's just horrendous (Explosions, Atlantis, JOY). She is really good live though, and if you have the chance, I'd definitely check her out.
I actually love all of those tracks you mentioned just about equally, the only track that I'd consider skipping is I Know You Care...it just doesn't go anywhere. Explosions has actually been getting some good UK sales due to appearing in that ITV drama spot, which pleases me no end.

And consider me in the minority, but the Tinie Tempahless version of Hanging On is all the worse for his exclusion. Feels so empty, but I guess enough fans complained about his rap to have it removed from the regular tracklisting. I've seen her live twice so far!

Have you heard the Halcyon bonus tracks Stay Awake (produced by Madeon) and The Ending?

DominoDancing posted:

I love Marina! The more playful and upbeat side of her first album is great (as in "Oh No": http://vimeo.com/35350145), and it while it took me a while to get into the quite a bit darker, electronic Electra Heart it's just as good. Can't wait to see where she goes from here.

Electra Heart was meant to be a side project but her label wouldn't allow it. Power & Control is a bloody tune and that recently released E.V.O.L is just fantastic. I do much prefer it to her debut album, which just was all over the place for me. I can understand why others would like it, but it's all too zany and wild for actually enjoy properly.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Girls Aloud were great.

Yes, they appeared on stage atop their logo. And used the logo as a mobile platform to reach a second stage midway through the set. Totally awesome.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I'm mad jelly over here :mad:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Check this out; this is a series of articles entitled "The Winner's History Of Rock and Roll" and it looks at why "mainstream rock" is on the verge of becoming an oxymoron, if it isn't one already. It's written by Steven Hyden, who used to be the music editor over at the Onion A. V. Club. I enjoyed reading it, and hopefully others will too.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Blodskur posted:

I actually love all of those tracks you mentioned just about equally, the only track that I'd consider skipping is I Know You Care...it just doesn't go anywhere. Explosions has actually been getting some good UK sales due to appearing in that ITV drama spot, which pleases me no end.

Oof. I know I'm probably in the minority, and I'm sorry for being so hyperbolic, but I really just think half of Halcyon is just so terrible.

IMO good songs:
Don't Say A Word
My Blood
Anything Could Happen
Only You
Halcyon
Figure 8
I Need Your Love

IMO bad songs:
JOY
Hanging On
Explosions
I Know You Care
Atlantis
Dead In The Water

I definitely have a thing for obviously-poppier, and more upbeat/electronic stuff. Gotta say that all the bonus tracks (In My City, Ritual, Without Your Love, Stay Awake) are loving fantastic, especially Without Your Love and Stay Awake. I was super happy that she played WYL when I saw her live a month ago.

Blodskur posted:

And consider me in the minority, but the Tinie Tempahless version of Hanging On is all the worse for his exclusion. Feels so empty, but I guess enough fans complained about his rap to have it removed from the regular tracklisting. I've seen her live twice so far!

Oh man, I think you are in the minority on this one. I was fairly on board with Hanging On at first, but I think Tinie just ruined it. She played his section live too, and I was just shaking my head for those 30 seconds or whatever. Bleh, Tinie isn't bad, but his verse was just spectacularly boring and didn't fit at all. I think I preferred her live show the first couple times I saw her. I was sad that she didn't sample Kanye's POWER sample during the end of Salt Skin in the Halcyon Tour set.

Blodskur posted:

Have you heard the Halcyon bonus tracks Stay Awake (produced by Madeon) and The Ending?

I love Stay Awake, but I've actually never even heard of The Ending.

Blodskur posted:

Electra Heart was meant to be a side project but her label wouldn't allow it. Power & Control is a bloody tune and that recently released E.V.O.L is just fantastic. I do much prefer it to her debut album, which just was all over the place for me. I can understand why others would like it, but it's all too zany and wild for actually enjoy properly.

EVOL is amaaaaaaazing. I really really like Electra Heart (and of most of the Marina fans I know, that's kind of a rarity to begin with), and I think I still prefer The Family Jewels just slightly, but it's a killer album. Teen Idle, Living Dead, and Lies will always be my jams, although I love every track on the album (except for Hypocrates). Radioactive will always have a place in my heart as well. loving amazing song.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OSheaman posted:

The new JT album is streaming on iTunes right now. So far . . . I dunno. It doesn't have the drive or the aggressiveness of Futuresex/Lovesounds, and it kind of sounds like he's trying to blend the beats everyone knows him for with some pseudo-soul stuff, like Cee Lo on Lady Killer.

I'm on Strawberry Bubblegum and I'm digging it. I love the effort that Timberland and Timberlake put into their collaborations, even though I don't have a lot of love for pop music in general.

What's the opinion on Kimbra? I loved Vows, and watching her live videos is great fun (and generally pretty impressive). I especially love what she does with Settle Down live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7GLvMYSHI

[Edit: I just realized she's doing all that on a couple iPads :stare:]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 12, 2013

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I like Atlantis a lot. :(

New JT is stellar but most songs are way too long. Then again I've already heard there is a remix album in the works, so the extra minutes give people more to work with I guess.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

pug wearing a hat posted:

Icona Pop is performing at my college this evening and I won't be there :(

I'm addicted to "I love it".

And "C'mon," by Ke$ha. I will dance like a fool to that one.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
How about Lights? I can't wait for her acoustic album. I saw her at a small venue in a suburban area and it was the est show of my life. A bunch of us waited outside her tour bus until 3 AM for her to come out and hang. The show was on 4/20 and I think her and her band mates were in the bus getting ripped beforehand. I've got her autographed Siberia LP on my wall!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

How about Lights? I can't wait for her acoustic album. I saw her at a small venue in a suburban area and it was the est show of my life. A bunch of us waited outside her tour bus until 3 AM for her to come out and hang. The show was on 4/20 and I think her and her band mates were in the bus getting ripped beforehand. I've got her autographed Siberia LP on my wall!

I find both of her albums ridiculously fun but I feel like a lot of what makes me enjoy her music will be lost on an acoustic album.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Blodskur posted:

Have you heard the Halcyon bonus track ... The Ending?

Holy drat, this song is KILLER. Why wasn't this on the album? It's absolutely fantastic. Ambient and a little 'out there' even for Ellie, but it fits in perfectly on the album. drat shame it was a bonus from god knows where.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It does own, but it only exists on the most expensive versions of the albums, one that isn't available to buy anymore in America and the £22.50 one from her UK store. I had to buy Halcyon so many times to get the all of the tracks, a stark difference from the 2 Lights' iTunes and CD versions at launch.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

weekly font posted:

I find both of her albums ridiculously fun but I feel like a lot of what makes me enjoy her music will be lost on an acoustic album.

Her acoustic album for The Listening was good. I'm more excited for Siberia acoustic because she can't just power through songs written with fuzzy synths and thwacky drums on acoustic guitar.

Her iTunes Sessions EP is also a worthy purchase.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNliJ66WbbU

Outta loving nowhere a new Pet Shop Boys album.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo the new Paramore song is going to be absolutely massive on the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZsuCKI-Uw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

deadwing posted:

Holy poo poo the new Paramore song is going to be absolutely massive on the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZsuCKI-Uw

I haven't really heard much of Paramore, but this song was fun to listen to. It'll probably be a decent hit on the Mainstream Rock chart, but I don't know if it's likely to cross over into the Hot 100.

This presents an interesting opportunity to debate why, as some have argued, "mainstream rock" is on the verge of becoming an oxymoron. Why is this so, when there's no shortage of rock bands who still know how to write teriffic pop songs?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNliJ66WbbU

Outta loving nowhere a new Pet Shop Boys album.

gently caress YES! It's not really out of nowhere, they've been hinting at an electronic album being around the corner ever since the quiet Elysium was released. But I wasn't sure if they'd actually pull it off!

EDIT: Holy poo poo, they left Parlophone as well. After 28 years!

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 14, 2013

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well, since the PYF Internet Critic thread isn't coming back, guess I'll start posting Todd In The Shadows videos here. Some of you probably already know him from that thread, but for the uninitiated, Todd reviews pop music. In the shadows. He's funny and insightful, and y'all should be watching him.

Anyway, here's his newest video looking at one of the new One Direction songs:

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/little-things-by-one-direction-a-pop-song-review-6551534

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is a post I made on another forum, regarding One Direction. This seems as good a place as any to repeat it:

I've read an article recently that's helped to consolidate some thoughts I've had about the much mooted "boy band revival".

They're not exactly adhering to what we were led to expect from boy bands based on the previous wave? Groups like *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys, what they did was essentially R&B following the Boyz II Men/Color Me Badd formula with choreographed dance moves and stand-up-for-the-key-change barstool balladeering. This is not something One Direction have; what they have are guitar-led songs which have much more in common with stuff like "Since U Been Gone" and "So What", the sort of pleasant enough but largely inoffensive pop-rock Max Martin produces when he muses, "Wasn't I in a hair metal band back in the day?"

Perhaps that is why the Wanted haven't been very successful in comparison. They're arguably closer to R&B than their competitors, and R&B is nearly on its last legs in the mainstream consciousness at this point. Conversely, 1D are exploiting a style that's been very popular since Kelly Clarkson hit the scene, but with the added twist of being performed by five guys.

Obviously, Todd's made some more substantive observations about how their lyrical content works in their favour.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Metal Loaf posted:

Conversely, 1D are exploiting a style that's been very popular since Kelly Clarkson hit the scene, but with the added twist of being performed by five guys.
Kelly Clarkson herself actually wrote one of their best songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujuyIFvHqdM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The original Sugababes are back as Mutya Keisha Siobhan, they just released a song based on Kendrick Lamar's Swimming Pools, and it's fantastic. Supposedly this is just a little semi-cover that they recorded for a laugh, but I think it's good enough to be a single. Their voices are perfect :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAG1_tvxtyQ