Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There are a lot more ways to categorize classical music and the biggest modern fans of it are largely nerds who love to argue about the best ways to categorize things, so it's really a recipe for disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Eight Is Legend posted:

That's one thing I loved about Rdio when I tried it out - you can add albums to your Collection. Would love a similar feature on Spotify since I'm mainly listen to full albums.

I mainly listen to full albums as well, and I just keep playlists of albums. So, for instance, I have a prog playlist with like 20 prog albums or something. I only have a few playlists of singles which are reserved for random mode, really. How is that any different than having a "collection?" If anything, playlists are better because you can have many collections!

Maybe Spotify just resonates with me, but I really hate algorithmic radio. I don't think I've ever found anything new that I like on a service like that. Far better for me is to have a carefully-crafted playlist that some nerd with too much free time published. I've had a lot of success with that, assuming I can figure out what key words to look for.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

glompix posted:

I mainly listen to full albums as well, and I just keep playlists of albums. So, for instance, I have a prog playlist with like 20 prog albums or something. I only have a few playlists of singles which are reserved for random mode, really. How is that any different than having a "collection?" If anything, playlists are better because you can have many collections!

Maybe Spotify just resonates with me, but I really hate algorithmic radio. I don't think I've ever found anything new that I like on a service like that. Far better for me is to have a carefully-crafted playlist that some nerd with too much free time published. I've had a lot of success with that, assuming I can figure out what key words to look for.

Strangely, Spotify's radio has found the most stuff I've liked out of any I've tried, despite being pretty dumb on the backend, I think (just chooses the best-rated related tracks).

You can add tracks to your collection (Collection -> Library or Starred) on the left side by starring them. I just wish it displayed better, namely being able to collapse albums/artists. The current list every track option, with or without album list, isn't really convenient for large collections, especially since there's no way to filter songs in the current view a-la foobar2000.

Maybe some sort of magic with despotify-deadbeef on Linux.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Does anyone's Spotify just totally poo poo out at random? It'll sound like the song is buffering a whole ton even though my internet is fine.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
my frustration without being able to collapse/group albums or artists is that I have one long playlist I use for "new music to check out" I will just add full albums to it with the intention of giving each album a listen to 2-3x before removing it from the "inbox" so to speak. This playlist is ridiculously unwieldy to look out uncollapsed. I'm really really surprised they haven't tackled this feature yet as it seems like people have been asking for it basically since the inception of spotify.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

MMD3 posted:

my frustration without being able to collapse/group albums or artists is that I have one long playlist I use for "new music to check out" I will just add full albums to it with the intention of giving each album a listen to 2-3x before removing it from the "inbox" so to speak. This playlist is ridiculously unwieldy to look out uncollapsed. I'm really really surprised they haven't tackled this feature yet as it seems like people have been asking for it basically since the inception of spotify.

I use folders and sub-folders (and sometimes sub-sub-folders) to keep things organized.

Ctrl+Shift+N

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

webcams for christ posted:

I use folders and sub-folders (and sometimes sub-sub-folders) to keep things organized.

Ctrl+Shift+N

Snap! Didn't realize this was possible. Still not as ideal as auto collapsing albums but ill have to give this a try tomorrow, thanks!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm lead to believe that when you're a Spotify premium member you can download music rather than just stream it? I think it's pretty kool but if you have to stream everything then it's not worth much to me as I have very little 3G data out and about. How does this work?

Can you download as normal files that other players can read? I would prefer to use Foobar rather than the Spotify player.

How does the integration with your current music collection work?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Red_Fred posted:

I'm lead to believe that when you're a Spotify premium member you can download music rather than just stream it? I think it's pretty kool but if you have to stream everything then it's not worth much to me as I have very little 3G data out and about. How does this work?

Can you download as normal files that other players can read? I would prefer to use Foobar rather than the Spotify player.

How does the integration with your current music collection work?
Spotify Premium lets you download your playlists to your mobile device so you don't need to have/use data to stream them. You still use the Spotify software and can't play back the files in another player.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Does anyone have any experience purchasing a code for a year of premium for cheaper than the going monthly/yearly rate?

I see a few different options on eBay but I'm obviously a bit skeptical.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
So I just got the social update and...what the hell? Things it seems they've removed for no good reason:
-The total playlist time. The number of tracks is there, but the time is gone. :wtc:
-When you follow friends, it doesn't seem to update what they're listening to in real time, nor can you see how long ago they listened to something.
-There's no longer a generic "what are my facebook friends listening to right this very moment" list anymore.

1 and 2 I really really loved, 3 is nice because it gets me exposed to a bunch of different music. Is there a way I can maybe roll back?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Is there any way to make the Spotify queue behave more like the foobar2000 queue, i.e. after a queued track finishes, the next song is the song after the queued track in whatever album/playlist/artist section you selected it from, rather than the current behavior that continues from wherever you were before you queued a track from some other list?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ambushsabre posted:

So I just got the social update and...what the hell? Things it seems they've removed for no good reason:
-The total playlist time. The number of tracks is there, but the time is gone. :wtc:
-When you follow friends, it doesn't seem to update what they're listening to in real time, nor can you see how long ago they listened to something.
-There's no longer a generic "what are my facebook friends listening to right this very moment" list anymore.

1 and 2 I really really loved, 3 is nice because it gets me exposed to a bunch of different music. Is there a way I can maybe roll back?

#2 and #3 still show up for me on the "Activity" bar. Or are you talking about something different?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Sorry to ask a question that may have already been asked, but is anyone experiencing horrendously slow download times on the iPhone 5 when trying to sync playlists?

I'm syncing over WiFi.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

threeagainstfour posted:

Sorry to ask a question that may have already been asked, but is anyone experiencing horrendously slow download times on the iPhone 5 when trying to sync playlists?

I'm syncing over WiFi.

I had that problem for awhile and I just played songs on my iPod Touch as they downloaded and it went a lot faster. Seems like the app kept closing itself while downloading without music.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Apart from the already posted issues with the new update, I also think that the new update's artist page is hellishly ugly. Their sudden jump from dark grey's to a bright dirty white is nothing if not jarring, especially since both shades are on screen at the same time, stressing the ugly combo. It looked nicer in the muted, dark colours. Add into that the awful iTunes style 'Top 10' list which is two columns of five as well as the lag I seem to be experiencing and you just have a whole slew of dumb design decisions. I hope in their next update they take notice of the three issues raised earlier, as mine are less likely to be recognised as problems.

Edit: Why can't I drag tracks from their artist page and drop them into a playlist? That is a bit of an odd omission. I now have to right click and add through that menu, which is just dumb when such a better alternative already exists. It is even dumber when they still allow you to add local tracks by dragging and dropping, just not from the artist page. This update is loving dumb, I've been using Spotify since '09, which really, is a long time, and in that time this is easily the worst update for silly little oversights.

Edit 2: This drag'n'drop thing definitely has to be an oversight, because you can add tracks to playlists from album pages too. It is just the artist one which is fussy. Hope they fix it soon, it is disorientating after using the same method for so long.

I also think the track counter on playlists no longer counts the actual tracks as soon as they are added, it just seems to guess for a while. Then, after an hour it might update. For example, I have been working on this playlist which had 130ish tracks and added nine or so more tracks, only for it to tell me I still only had 130. Then, in the time since this was originally posted, it has jumped to 10, then down to 139. Weird.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 7, 2013

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://open.spotify.com/artist/0k17h0D3J5VfsdmQ1iZtE9

Pink Floyd is on Spotify now, although it seems to be subscriber only.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

Cool. I jumped ship from MOG, where all Floyd was available.

Now they just need to bring Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath (Ozzy years) into the fold.

Edit I'm not seeing any Pink Floyd on the desktop client.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 11, 2013

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

me your dad posted:

Cool. I jumped ship from MOG, where all Floyd was available.

Now they just need to bring Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath (Ozzy years) into the fold.

Edit I'm not seeing any Pink Floyd on the desktop client.

Me either and I've got premium. Floyd is my favorite band ever and both the lack of flac support ("seriously, you have the immersion sets in mp3?" :smug:) and the lack of streaming Floyd is a daily annoyance.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Abu Dave posted:

Not available in the good old US of A

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

They were on Spotify earlier. Not sure what happened.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Another Person posted:

Apart from the already posted issues with the new update, I also think that the new update's artist page is hellishly ugly. Their sudden jump from dark grey's to a bright dirty white is nothing if not jarring, especially since both shades are on screen at the same time, stressing the ugly combo. It looked nicer in the muted, dark colours.
I'm always reluctant to trash a new interface right away because people tend to react negatively to things they're unfamiliar with, but I have to agree that having the middle pane be light and the outer panes be dark seems just like an unquestionably bad decision. I don't really mind the top tracks thing and I definitely like the vertical ordering of related artists much better than the old way (though I wish it listed more).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know what the hell happened with Pink Floyd.

Their discography was absolutely on there yesterday. I listened to Meddle and Wish You Were Here in my car while running my errands.

Then today, they're gone on both the desktop and the mobile app.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah that is weird, I remember listening to Animals some time ago, though I noticed back then that the Gilmour albums like Momentary Lapse of Reason were not there. but now there's nothing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

het posted:

I'm always reluctant to trash a new interface right away because people tend to react negatively to things they're unfamiliar with, but I have to agree that having the middle pane be light and the outer panes be dark seems just like an unquestionably bad decision. I don't really mind the top tracks thing and I definitely like the vertical ordering of related artists much better than the old way (though I wish it listed more).

Most of my spotted flaws are pretty petty and of the 'grrrr don't like change variety', which are also things I am slowly getting used to as well. I'm getting used to the iTunes column things already, for example. However, the colours still look terrible.

I don't think I will ever get used to the removal of drag'n'drop in certain situations and not in others though. Do other people actually experience this, or is it just me?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Super lame. It must be UK only then, as i'm in the USA and it's gone also. :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

My biggest complaint about the new UI is that the Linux client segfaults when you perform basic interactions with it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Double post but it's been like a week gently caress it.

Apparently Spotify is pulling an Amazon Video on me and randomly removing music that it had previously. I really wish that they'd at least provide some notice of "hey, our licensing deal on X expired and we plan on/don't plan on getting a new one". gently caress the cloud.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fivre posted:

Double post but it's been like a week gently caress it.

Apparently Spotify is pulling an Amazon Video on me and randomly removing music that it had previously. I really wish that they'd at least provide some notice of "hey, our licensing deal on X expired and we plan on/don't plan on getting a new one". gently caress the cloud.

I just noticed that as well: Fanfarlo's Rooms Filled With Light album disappeared on me.

I also reported some serious artist fragmentation (Margot & the Nuclear So and So's are spread across four different names because of the "&" and "and" being arbitrary) and overlap (Typhoon is mixed between an indie-rock band, a hardcore Rap artist, a spanish metal (?) band, and a Dutch MC). Not a drat thing done. Just like the still missing features in the Android app (Landscape mode!!) I really don't think they give a poo poo at all as long as the money can be kept flowing. I've also been getting some seriously awful performance both on the Desktop and Android clients with dropouts and buffering on WiFi and LTE. I'm about to just give it up and go back to the bad old days of buying CDs and ripping them.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I just noticed that as well: Fanfarlo's Rooms Filled With Light album disappeared on me.

I also reported some serious artist fragmentation (Margot & the Nuclear So and So's are spread across four different names because of the "&" and "and" being arbitrary) and overlap (Typhoon is mixed between an indie-rock band, a hardcore Rap artist, a spanish metal (?) band, and a Dutch MC). Not a drat thing done. Just like the still missing features in the Android app (Landscape mode!!) I really don't think they give a poo poo at all as long as the money can be kept flowing. I've also been getting some seriously awful performance both on the Desktop and Android clients with dropouts and buffering on WiFi and LTE. I'm about to just give it up and go back to the bad old days of buying CDs and ripping them.

The iPhone app doesn't have landscape mode, so you're not missing out on that feature, at least.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
The most annoying thing for me is that pressing the back button takes you back to the top of the playlist instead of your last scroll position. I have long lists of playlists and it's been pissing me off since the layout change almost a year ago.

I keep thinking of switching to downloading stuff and using iTunes + Google Music to manage it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Been a while, so I thought I'd check: is there any way to delete radio stations yet?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Been a while, so I thought I'd check: is there any way to delete radio stations yet?

Just checked - I can't find a way.

Axer
Mar 16, 2013

Another Person posted:

Most of my spotted flaws are pretty petty and of the 'grrrr don't like change variety', which are also things I am slowly getting used to as well. I'm getting used to the iTunes column things already, for example. However, the colours still look terrible.

I don't think I will ever get used to the removal of drag'n'drop in certain situations and not in others though. Do other people actually experience this, or is it just me?

Yea, this is by far he most frustrating things for me, I can't drag and drop from artists pages into Playlists, unlike you could on the old version. You can get skins, but sadly since it is loading from their website, you can't change that much.
Here are the links if you want to check it out anyways:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-Skin-Gallery/td-p/216200
Here is the tutorial on how to install them
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/How-to-change-the-Spotify-skin-theme-Tutorial/m-p/211610#U211610

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I've never had that much of a problem with the ui on spotify but rather two small frustration. The first is not being able to play music bought on iTunes in the program and the other is trying to find replacement music for those that I can't play not being available in Australia. Other than that it's been pretty good really

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I've never had that much of a problem with the ui on spotify but rather two small frustration. The first is not being able to play music bought on iTunes in the program and the other is trying to find replacement music for those that I can't play not being available in Australia. Other than that it's been pretty good really

You should be able to play iTunes music; iirc it's no longer DRM'ed and Spotify can play local files. iTunes probably stores them in a really stupid place, but that's not Spotify's fault.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Shifty Pony posted:

I also reported some serious artist fragmentation (Margot & the Nuclear So and So's are spread across four different names because of the "&" and "and" being arbitrary)
I was pretty excited to find out that on the new Ólafur Arnalds EP, he collaborates both with Ólafur Arnalds and Arnalds, Ólafur

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Is anyone's Pitchfork app acting up and not showing? All my other apps are working fine. This is browser Spotify btw.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Is anyone's Pitchfork app acting up and not showing? All my other apps are working fine. This is browser Spotify btw.

Pitchfork within the desktop client is working fine, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

fivre posted:

You should be able to play iTunes music; iirc it's no longer DRM'ed and Spotify can play local files. iTunes probably stores them in a really stupid place, but that's not Spotify's fault.

The older drm stuff needs to have rights bought for it and even stuff I've bought recently won't play. The rest of my local files aren't a problem really. Windows media player has never had a problem with iTunes files really

• Locked thread