Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benzine
Oct 21, 2010

That was a good but weird way to start the day.

And please post more sweet sweet Crete drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If goons were really in ancient Greece, there would've been a pile of dead bodies in the senate that day, with the Saurus either on the top or on the bottom.

Crete always fascinated me, since aside from the bits that were fiddling with plainly visible game mechanics (which most of the people in the thread wouldn't fully understand anyways), it functioned pretty much exactly the same as many real-world democracies did, save for the impact of people talking to eachother in person and the occasional fistfight. Considering how governments were so tightly connected with religion back then, Crete functioned a lot like how people perceived government to work back in ancient times, with everything hinging on the word of the gods (or in this case, Wiz). Democracy would be banished every so often when the senate lost the mandate of Wiz, and Wiz would occasionally send omens from on high down to the Cretans when they were doing something really stupid, or when something desperately needed to be done.

I never wanted to deal with the hassle of Crete, but I always tuned in to see what was going on in the ancient Greek/internet forum soap opera.

On a non-crete-related note, I wonder if Wiz is going to do anything with the ability to name Tropicans.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

benzine posted:

That was a good but weird way to start the day.

And please post more sweet sweet Crete drama.

There is no way in hell I'm going to try summarizing this session at this hour. But this would be the bit where Saurus calls the Civics cunts and gets them to withdraw the original act benefiting the militarists.

Also, this happens.

quote:

<~Wiz> they're a monkey with two buttons
<~Wiz> one gives food one gives a shock
<~Wiz> militarists
<~Wiz> keep pressin
<~Wiz> the shock button
<~Wiz> every session
<~Wiz> while loudly complaining about how the other parties wont let them get something to eat
<~Wiz> BZZT OW fuckin populists keepin us from our food BBZT OW)

Edit: Other bits of notable drama for others to link to or summarize if they feel like it: The vote that overturned the Democratic Republic, the whole extended arguments about walls and their uselessness, the Common Marriage fiasco, the time that one dictator ended up executing various Senators from the Lower House (that is, they were forced to move away from their party and make a new, distinctly different persona and agenda), the peace treaty with the rebels, and something about a proposal to invade a barbarian country while we were low on manpower.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 10, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Tomn's essay posts that no one actually read: one of those great things about Crete.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I still think we should have invaded Thracia

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

SirPhoebos posted:

Well, I just got past the formation of the Third Republic/Civil War and Reunificaiton-that section certainly was special.

The session after seems to be lull in thread drama, but I eagerly anticipate the next bit of tomfoolery.

EDIT: It's too bad that most of the image links are dead outside of Wiz's updates, I kinda wish I could see all the flags that were considered.

Flags suck, Crete was all about the icons.

Click for nostalgia.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 11, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Man, I just got to where the Populists proposed changing Motion Hierarchy back to LPF, and the number of Posts deleted by The Saurus is pretty staggering :stare:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Flags suck, Crete was all about the icons.

Click for nostalgia.

:stare: Why are there so many anime icons for a game set in the ancient Mediterranean?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Holy crap some of those images.

I don't even remember making this.

I've forgotten who had the baseball player as an avatar so I'll just consider the player to be the traitor instead.

bunnyofdoom's greatest legacy.

My treason poster wasn't there though but the Labour/Worker's Party still had a healthy amount of propaganda there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Best part about mine was a couple people used the painting first in propaganda and I just took it and spent a minute in paint on it and everyone forgot about the others

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

SirPhoebos posted:

Man, I just got to where the Populists proposed changing Motion Hierarchy back to LPF, and the number of Posts deleted by The Saurus is pretty staggering :stare:

You can still read most of his posts, for they were quoted over and over and over.

Rutkowski posted:

I've forgotten who had the baseball player as an avatar so I'll just consider the player to be the traitor instead.

That was KnoxZone, IIRC. He was populist, so your traitor description fits just fine.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I only read Wiz updates for Crete, never any of the actual legislation, I decided to go back and start doing that...

Holy crap, I'm only 20 pages in and the insanity is already :stare: Makes me glad that bgreman decided to go with a small permanent council of players who make the decisions for his Aurora lp, I can't even imagine how poo poo would have gone if he didn't.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 11, 2013

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Kavak posted:

:stare: Why are there so many anime icons for a game set in the ancient Mediterranean?

One of them is the main character from Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale which came out around when Crete was going on, so I assume that's for the Mercantilist party. Don't know about the others.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

For no particular reason whatsoever, those stories reminded me of this post:

That is amazing, and surprisingly apt. I'm glad I got to read it.

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: It's too bad that most of the image links are dead outside of Wiz's updates, I kinda wish I could see all the flags that were considered.

Just imagine an endless permutation of snakes, bulls, waves, and seahorses, with a few hideous owl flags thrown in.

Patter Song posted:

Tomn's essay posts that no one actually read: one of those great things about Crete.

I know I rarely read them. Not to knock on Tomn's enthusiasm, but that thread was already pretty drat heavy on the :words:, so skimming the more verbose posters was pretty much the only way to get through it (Gorgo and Merry Marauder were also notable offenders). Saurus may have been a loudmouth, but at least he was usually pretty succinct.

bunnyofdoom posted:

But we did invade Thracia! More than once, in fact. Crete may have had it's problems, but "not enough invasions" wasn't one of them.

SirPhoebos posted:

the number of Posts deleted by The Saurus is pretty staggering :stare:
Most of them actually weren't that bad, Saurus probably just thought they were embarrassing. You could probably still dig them up with a little google-fu, but I wouldn't bother. They really weren't that exciting.

Kavak posted:

I didn't know then and I still don't now. Things got a little weird in the third republic.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Duckbag posted:

I know I rarely read them. Not to knock on Tomn's enthusiasm, but that thread was already pretty drat heavy on the :words:, so skimming the more verbose posters was pretty much the only way to get through it (Gorgo and Merry Marauder were also notable offenders). Saurus may have been a loudmouth, but at least he was usually pretty succinct.

But my posts were amongst the best! To not read them would be to skip over huge chunks of Populist history and evolution. :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Gorgo Primus posted:

But my posts were amongst the best! To not read them would be to skip over huge chunks of Populist history and evolution. :colbert:

Ok, my posts were among the best too, but mine can be summed up into one of four things.

1. Declare/prolong/invade somebody!
2. gently caress Populists
3. I am the drunken leader of the militarists and I will stab anyone who disagrees
4. I hosed Gorgo's Mom.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, after a while, I started including tl;dr summaries at the end of most of the longer posts just to be sure that the message got out, if not always the reasoning. That said, for all that plenty of folks probably skipped them over, I don't regret a word of 'em - the information generally needed getting out, and in a way that wouldn't just devolve into "Your only proof is that you said so, it's your word against mine!" No, actually, the proof was in my exhaustively detailed analysis of the situation, care to take it point by point?

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the information I presented managed to help steer the Senate away from disaster at least a couple of times, so all's good.

Edit:

Kavak posted:

It's worth noting that a very large amount of those were either one-person-parties that never got off the ground, or straight-up jokes. That said, if I recall aright the icon on the far right, second from the top was used extensively as the symbol of the Eris Party, which I THINK was either a religious or populist party, and which was either way basically dedicated to preaching discord and chaos and backing whatever legislation seemed most fit to cause just that.

Coincidentally, they started getting strongest near the end of Crete, when most people started feeling that the democratic process was running itself into the ground. Apocalyptic cults, ahoy!

Tomn fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 11, 2013

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Actually if thats the daughters of hebe icon. The Ires/Eris are either the 4 and fifth of the 5 line (Next to the golden apple)or the 5th on the 7th line

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That one did double duty as Ires, Gorgo's personal god of democracy. Chaos and discord masquerading as anachronistic idealism? Perfect summary of the populist party.

I'm actually wondering about the icon with the symbol of Britanny on it. What's that all about?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

That is one of many icons on there that were created as a joke; its origins not surprisingly lie with me.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

dereku posted:

Actually if thats the daughters of hebe icon. The Ires/Eris are either the 4 and fifth of the 5 line (Next to the golden apple)or the 5th on the 7th line

Damnit, I knew it looked familiar.

I don't really remember what the Daughters of Hebe were about. Something about cooperation or peace or something? They were an active party, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

Damnit, I knew it looked familiar.

I don't really remember what the Daughters of Hebe were about. Something about cooperation or peace or something? They were an active party, though.

Someone accused the Sons of Zeus of being ruthless and merciless and not being very religiously pious on that front. It was quickly pointed out that that's actually pretty in keeping with the attitudes of the actual Greek gods. Someone else said that there's a Greek goddess who's the patron of forgiveness, Hebe. It was then pointed out that Hebe is effectively the maid of Mt. Olympus, whose main job is drawing Zeus' bathwater, and that it was a pretty pathetic Goddess to pick. The Hebeites ran with it and made their patron an anime maid.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Someone accused the Sons of Zeus of being ruthless and merciless and not being very religiously pious on that front. It was quickly pointed out that that's actually pretty in keeping with the attitudes of the actual Greek gods. Someone else said that there's a Greek goddess who's the patron of forgiveness, Hebe. It was then pointed out that Hebe is effectively the maid of Mt. Olympus, whose main job is drawing Zeus' bathwater, and that it was a pretty pathetic Goddess to pick. The Hebeites ran with it and made their patron an anime maid.

:allears: I wish I'd been there for Crete. Here's to Tropico being just as crazy with less motion hierarchies!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hebists/Irists were weird, though the latter had the only animated icon (Row 5, Column 5, it winked).

How could anyone forget the "Political Attraction Party" (excel logo), Servant's one-man crusade to pass bills to get more Militarists elected. Good times.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

bunnyofdoom posted:

We did :ssh:

Duckbag posted:

Most of them actually weren't that bad, Saurus probably just thought they were embarrassing. You could probably still dig them up with a little google-fu, but I wouldn't bother. They really weren't that exciting.

I think they were all just pretty much the same thing over and over again, which reminds me of my posts in the change to active first session. People were like "motion hierarchy debate is ruining the thread" and I could see where they were coming from so I figured I'd get rid of them. It's not like the Populists! :argh: would take more notice of me if there were a dozen posts saying the same thing than just one.

Tomn posted:

But this would be the bit where Saurus calls the Civics cunts and gets them to withdraw the original act benefiting the militarists.

I was posting in The Ray Parlour a lot at the time where everyone calls everyone a oval office every five minutes. I still shouldn't have done it though, considering the Crete thread wasn't full of football fans.

Oh well, everything worked out fine in the end :unsmith: The whole motion hierarchy thing sure was awful. I'm glad Wiz realised that all the original options he came up with were bad/confusing and changed them.

My favourite moment from the Crete thread is right after the DR revolution when Gorgo and I spent a whole one post each being nice and polite to each other.

sniper4625 posted:

How could anyone forget the "Political Attraction Party" (excel logo), Servant's one-man crusade to pass bills to get more Militarists elected. Good times.

Servant was the most blatantly obvious crypto-populist. Remember when he tried to come out of retirement to vote no on a civic bill that helped change our government from DR when he was actually last in the militarist party? Servant: literally the only person to try to cheat in Crete.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 11, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rutkowski posted:

That was (and still is IIRC) KnoxZone's avatar. Don't you make Tim Wakefield shoulder the burdens of a goon's sins.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Patter Song posted:

I created the Daughters of Hebe by searching the Greek pantheon for a goddess that was the total opposite of Zeus and that's what came out of it. It came about since the Sons of Zeus basically controlled all of the Religious Party and I was one of the few remaining Religious Party members left, so I created an opposition party. It only got stranger and stranger as time passed by.

Crete was really fun.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

The Saurus posted:

Servant was the most blatantly obvious crypto-populist. Remember when he tried to come out of retirement to vote no on a civic bill that helped change our government from DR when he was actually last in the militarist party? Servant: literally the only person to try to cheat in Crete.
I assumed that my post stating that the Political Attraction Party has succeeded in its task meant that I returned back to the Civics, but Wiz said otherwise.

And, at the time, I kinda figured that with the entire country being a Democratic Republic, that everyone (at least in public) was a crypto-populist at the time, or at least everyone outside the Lower House. It's pretty hard to say bad things about the masses if the masses have the right to vote you out of office.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Servant posted:

everyone (at least in public) was a crypto-populist

Mission Accomplished.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That was (and still is IIRC) KnoxZone's avatar. Don't you make Tim Wakefield shoulder the burdens of a goon's sins.

Tim Wakefield has suffered greatly over the years, but that might be the most harsh of punishments for him. :smith:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I only read Wiz updates for Crete, never any of the actual legislation, I decided to go back and start doing that...

Holy crap, I'm only 20 pages in and the insanity is already :stare: Makes me glad that bgreman decided to go with a small permanent council of players who make the decisions for his Aurora lp, I can't even imagine how poo poo would have gone if he didn't.

It would probably wind up with me making another LP three years later that eventually turns into an Aurora reminiscing thread, apparently.

I tried to read Crete during the first few weeks it existed, but the level of activity and legislation just exploded and I wasn't able to follow along, much less participate.

While Crete seemed fun as hell and produced enough memories and goonblocs for people to still be recounting them here, I wanted something more fast paced and less likely to bog down in political infighting and legislative end-arounds. Hence the council.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

bgreman posted:

It would probably wind up with me making another LP three years later that eventually turns into an Aurora reminiscing thread, apparently.

I tried to read Crete during the first few weeks it existed, but the level of activity and legislation just exploded and I wasn't able to follow along, much less participate.

While Crete seemed fun as hell and produced enough memories and goonblocs for people to still be recounting them here, I wanted something more fast paced and less likely to bog down in political infighting and legislative end-arounds. Hence the council.

To be fair, it's possible that there's a touch of Stockholm Syndrome going on amongst the people who stuck Crete out to the end.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm glad I was part of Crete but it's not necessarily something that can or should be repeated. Other high-participation games should try different models.

Crete has run its course.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Crete was an amazing year, but I wouldn't want to do something like that again anytime soon - it took a LOT of commitment to spend several hours a day reading and posting just in that one LP.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tropico really isn't meant to require the same level of involvement as Crete, thus the simpler system.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Wiz posted:

Tropico really isn't meant to require the same level of involvement as Crete, thus the simpler system.

Thank heavens.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Wiz posted:

My party will do its best to needlessly complicate the system and you can't stop us :colbert:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Which party do I sign up for if my only goal is to build as many trains metro stations as possible?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Soylent Pudding posted:

Which party do I sign up for if my only goal is to build as many trains metro stations as possible?

Join the Law and Order Party, we'll make sure the metro trains always arrive on time, and we mean real time, not made up Mussolini time either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'll join whatever party is dedicated to turning El Presidente's land into the trashiest, most exploitative and terrible tourist trap the world has ever seen.

Bahamas? What Bahamas? :colbert:

• Locked thread