Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Look, I don't normally give a drat about Air Force jibberjabber, but godamn are the stories about the dogs impressive and sad all at once. And it's kind of weird to me that, to this day, we still find F-105 parts lying randomly about various places at stateside bases.

I played OpFor for the crews leaving on the Afghanistan deployment right before mine, and when myself and my gunner were wandering the hillsides, we found a lot of random aircraft parts at a place that Nellis refers to as "Jettison Hill." There was an aircraft's bomb rack (including the pylon) on the side of a hill, with a stamped plate that read "F-105D." If anyone cares about photos, I can charge my old phone and post them (they're really not that interesting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yes.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
Every mention of the legendary Thud must be accompanied with the following fact:

The F-105 was capable of carrying the same bombload as a fully-loaded B-17.

The Douglas AIR-2 Genie. An unguided nuclear-warhead-tipped rocket, designed to be fired at an incoming bomber formation.

Someone thought this was a good idea.

SAGE probably deserves the same sort of mention, as almost every account I've ever read about it unanimously agrees that it never once worked as advertised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-Automatic_Ground_Environment

"The AN/FSQ-7 had 100 system consoles for the operator environment, including the OA-1008 Situation Display (SD) with a light gun (at end of cable), cigarette lighter, and ash tray (left of the light gun)."

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 10, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

To be fair it was the 1950s and everything nuclear was a good idea including this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_NB-36

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DoktorLoken posted:

To be fair it was the 1950s and everything nuclear was a good idea including this:

including this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plowshares

quote:

Project Plowshare was the overall United States term for the development of techniques to use nuclear explosives for peaceful construction purposes.
Proposed uses included widening the Panama Canal, constructing a new sea-level waterway through Nicaragua nicknamed the Pan-Atomic Canal, cutting paths through mountainous areas for highways, and connecting inland river systems. Other proposals involved blasting underground caverns for water, natural gas, and petroleum storage. Serious consideration was also given to using these explosives for various mining operations. One proposal suggested using nuclear blasts to connect underground aquifers in Arizona. Another plan involved surface blasting on the western slope of California's Sacramento Valley for a water transport project.

And people complain about fracking.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

DoktorLoken posted:

quote:

There was a hotline connected to the president's office. Once, the hotline and the support planes were nearly used when a smoke marker went off in the reactor compartment.

To what end?
"So, uh...Mr. President...remember this flying nuclear reactor? Yeah. Well, turns out it has a problem. Not that there's anything you could do about it outside of telling us to ditch the motherfucker, just thought we'd give you a heads-up."

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
My favourite is this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

quote:

The proposed use for nuclear-powered ramjets would be to power a cruise missile, called SLAM, for Supersonic Low Altitude Missile. In order to reach ramjet speed, it would be launched from the ground by a cluster of conventional rocket boosters. Once it reached cruising altitude and was far away from populated areas the nuclear reactor would be made critical. Since nuclear power gave it almost unlimited range, the missile could cruise in circles over the ocean until ordered 'down to the deck' for its supersonic dash to targets in the Soviet Union. The SLAM as proposed would carry a payload of many nuclear weapons to be dropped on multiple targets, making the cruise missile into an unmanned bomber.

Bad rear end prototype engine :black101:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

har har

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm utterly fascinated by the atomic age, and especially being a soldier from Nevada, I'm just a little bummed I will never experience a nuclear blast firsthand.

Unlike the guys in the Desert Rock Exercises.

And a somewhat misleading title, but great soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9g_rl2JnU

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
those guys have their own special category of care at the VA for a reason though

lol

"exposure to ionizing radiation during nuclear testing and training" or something like that

there aren't a whole gently caress load left.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've always wondered what those parallel vertical smoke/vapor columns were, anyone care to weigh in on that?

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've always wondered what those parallel vertical smoke/vapor columns were, anyone care to weigh in on that?

they're sounding rockets

theyre actually fired in a specific sequence during the testing so that the folks detonating the bomb can observe the shockwave in the atmosphere as well as currents and fallout prediction

if we were to nuke a target tommorow, if you were watching from a simmilar perspective you wouldn't see any of that crazy verticle smoke stuff

when I was a kid I used to be convinced it was the smoke trails of birds who got cooked midflight

I was pretty a imaginative kid

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I believe they're smoke rockets launched to create a scale for collecting testing information, like the size of the fireball.

e: or shockwave analysis, I like that one.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 10, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Any suggestions for nuclear documentaries? I've probably seen Trinity and Beyond 20 times by now, especially since it's available on bluray.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

Any suggestions for nuclear documentaries? I've probably seen Trinity and Beyond 20 times by now, especially since it's available on bluray.

While not entirely focused on nuclear stuff, Oliver Stone's America or whatever is a good documentary series.

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

DoktorLoken posted:

That's one of the most easily accessed ones, the rest aren't much better / different, since it's all re-loops of declassified NRC/DOE/DoD video stuff.

if the factual nuclear stuff and 50's nostalgia type thing is your schtick, the fictional "Alas, Babylon" is gonna be your jam.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm utterly fascinated by the atomic age, and especially being a soldier from Nevada, I'm just a little bummed I will never experience a nuclear blast firsthand.

My grandpa took part in those, in his early 60's he was diagnosed with cancer and at 64 the treatment killed him. He died in 1992. He always wondered if his cancer was a result of being involved in those tests.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Vasudus posted:

While not entirely focused on nuclear stuff, Oliver Stone's America or whatever is a good documentary series.
Fat Man and Little Boy is a pretty excellent movie about the Manhattan project, as well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

My grandpa took part in those, in his early 60's he was diagnosed with cancer and at 64 the treatment killed him. He died in 1992. He always wondered if his cancer was a result of being involved in those tests.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I guess I should say that if we had nice safe viewing conditions, I'd love to witness one. My mom's a two time breast cancer survivor and cancer is a bitch.

And there's a fuckload of :stare: when you see poo poo like this on the summary of the tests:

Wikipedia posted:

During shot "Wasp", ground forces took part in Exercise Desert Rock VI which included an armored task force "Razor" moving to within 900 meters of ground zero, under the still-forming mushroom cloud.

bradass87 posted:

when I was a kid I used to be convinced it was the smoke trails of birds who got cooked midflight

I was pretty a imaginative kid

I used to think the ionizing radiation was so great that it caused lightning strikes, knowing only that lightning had something to do with ions and so did radiation.

I got beat up a lot in middle school.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 11, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Here are 5 men (6, counting the cameraman) standing directly beneath a nuclear detonation to demonstrate how safe nuclear anti-aircraft missiles are, and how it's OK that they'd be exploded over US soil to shoot down soviet bombers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlE1BdOAfVc

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

grover posted:

Here are 5 men (6, counting the cameraman) standing directly beneath a nuclear detonation to demonstrate how safe nuclear anti-aircraft missiles are, and how it's OK that they'd be exploded over US soil to shoot down soviet bombers.

All I can think of when they all flinched at the flash and the bang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBV4aAPVHk

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

grover posted:

Holy poo poo. Apparently two of the guys lived into their eighties despite being nuked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bacarruda posted:

Holy poo poo. Apparently two of the guys lived into their eighties despite being nuked.

Test successful! :hist101:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

grover posted:

The only live-fire test of a Genie; the Scorpion that fired the shot still survives as a gateguard in Montana:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

grover posted:

In theory it was a good idea against a big mass of bear bombers. At the same time we developed nuke torpedoes to take out the SSBNS the Soviets had. "Blue out" is a sonar term I'm glad I only read about.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

too big for imgur

http://www.abload.de/img/hornoxe.com_gifdump3565qj8.gif

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bradass87 posted:

those guys have their own special category of care at the VA for a reason though

lol

"exposure to ionizing radiation during nuclear testing and training" or something like that

there aren't a whole gently caress load left.

Their descendants get benefits as well. A buddy of mine got something like $600 a couple years ago because his grandpa was part of those tests.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slim Pickens posted:

Their descendants get benefits as well. A buddy of mine got something like $600 a couple years ago because his grandpa was part of those tests.
Was his dad born before or after the tests and radiation exposure? Does his dad have an "uncle jody" that came around sometimes and gave him gifts?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

grover posted:

Fat Man and Little Boy is a pretty excellent movie about the Manhattan project, as well.

When I watched that and saw the scenes with the criticality experiments, I said to myself "There is no way they were messing around with that plutonium core by almost shutting that beryllium hemisphere around it with just the tip of a loving screwdriver, that's gotta be all hollywood!".

Turns out that is exactly the way they did it.

And poo poo went south. More than once.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

When I watched that and saw the scenes with the criticality experiments, I said to myself "There is no way they were messing around with that plutonium core by almost shutting that beryllium hemisphere around it with just the tip of a loving screwdriver, that's gotta be all hollywood!".

Turns out that is exactly the way they did it.

And poo poo went south. More than once.

Early atomic experiments were really hosed up. As late as the trinity test they weren't sure if the explosion wouldn't just light the entire atmosphere on fire. That would have made a lot of people very sad.

River Raid
Apr 2, 2004

GODDAMN I AM A HUGE MORON! WITH A JETPLANE OF STUPID!

iyaayas01 posted:

Ed Rasimus, USAF fighter pilot and author of what are two of the best books about the air war over Vietnam: When Thunder Rolled, about his tour flying Thuds during Rolling Thunder, and Palace Cobra, about his tour flying Phantoms during Linebacker. He also assisted Robin Olds' daughter with writing/compiling/editing Olds' memoirs. Raz passed away in January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0d3DVcKoY

Watching Best Years of Our Lives tonight, still one of the best movies about war ever made.

There was a Marine OV-10 pilot who wrote a book that felt a lot like Raz's work, but I can never remember his name or the book's title. Anyone know the guy I'm talking about. He was in Santini's MAG, made Santini slice his hand open on a ceiling fan?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video from Syria shows a group of opposition fighters getting about as close as you would want to be to a cluster bomb strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8QpCfZbtU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Only one Allahu Akbar? I'm dissapointed.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
They are running out! We are past peak allah ackbar, we are entering a new phase in the Syrian conflict.

Edit: I wonder if anyone is saying allah ackbar ironically in the videos.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ArchangeI posted:

Early atomic experiments were really hosed up. As late as the trinity test they weren't sure if the explosion wouldn't just light the entire atmosphere on fire. That would have made a lot of people very sad.

That's a myth. Teller brought up the notion that the bomb could ignite nitrogen-nitrogen fusion in the atmosphere and that the reaction might be self-sustaining, but this was disproved well before the Trinity test.

The best criticality experiment was one related to the demon core, but involved one subcritical mass of uranium being, a slug, being dropped through another subcritical mass, and as it dropped through it would briefly significantly spike in activity and by measuring the increase they could more accurately calculate what a critical mass would be.

The question was raised "What happens if, while dropping through the rig, the slug gets stuck? Like, maybe because it heats up and expands and wedges itself in there, so what's supposed to be "briefly" critical stays that way?"

The answer was pretty much "Hope real hard that doesn't happen.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Phanatic posted:

That's a myth. Teller brought up the notion that the bomb could ignite nitrogen-nitrogen fusion in the atmosphere and that the reaction might be self-sustaining, but this was disproved well before the Trinity test.

The best criticality experiment was one related to the demon core, but involved one subcritical mass of uranium being, a slug, being dropped through another subcritical mass, and as it dropped through it would briefly significantly spike in activity and by measuring the increase they could more accurately calculate what a critical mass would be.

The question was raised "What happens if, while dropping through the rig, the slug gets stuck? Like, maybe because it heats up and expands and wedges itself in there, so what's supposed to be "briefly" critical stays that way?"

The answer was pretty much "Hope real hard that doesn't happen.

Well, hit it with a broom handle or something, this is nuclear physics, not rocket science!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"We're gonna throw science at the wall and see what sticks."

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

"We're gonna throw science at the wall and see what sticks."

J.K. Simmons best line in that game by far

"I'm gonna be honest with you here, we're just throwing science at the wall and seeing what sticks!"

I loving lost it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

"We're gonna throw science at the wall and see what blows the gently caress up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bradass87 posted:

J.K. Simmons best line in that game by far

"I'm gonna be honest with you here, we're just throwing science at the wall and seeing what sticks!"

I loving lost it

I like to believe that JK Simmons actually acts like Cave Johnson every day of his life.

• Locked thread