Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do From Ashes ASAP, Leviathan doesn't have to be done all at once so you can spread it out and it doesn't matter when you do it, really, but you get some nice stuff in it. Same for Omega, just do it whenever you feel like getting some loot.

Wait to do Citadel until you've met all your space bros from ME1 and 2 if you like, though IIRC only Jack, Jacob, Miranda and Tali are actually "missable" and Jack's mission comes up before you're able to do Citadel anyway.

But definitely wait until you've met everyone to throw the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

precision posted:

Do From Ashes ASAP, Leviathan doesn't have to be done all at once so you can spread it out and it doesn't matter when you do it, really, but you get some nice stuff in it. Same for Omega, just do it whenever you feel like getting some loot.

Wait to do Citadel until you've met all your space bros from ME1 and 2 if you like, though IIRC only Jack, Jacob, Miranda and Tali are actually "missable" and Jack's mission comes up before you're able to do Citadel anyway.

But definitely wait until you've met everyone to throw the party.

I disagree. Save Citadel for after the end of the game. It's got a much lighter tone to the rest of the story, and the very end of it really does feel like Bioware just saying thanks for playing the trilogy. The entire DLC is basically one last round of fun with the entire crew.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Can anyone give some tips when the best time to play each dlc is? I'm about to start my second playthrough, this time with all the dlc. The DLCs I have are From Ashes, Leviathan, Citadel and Omega. Also, any tips for building/playing Adept would be appreciated, I've only played soldier so far and wanna switch things up a lil this time.

For Adept, and any class focused around active talent use, read up on how the talent-combo mechanics work in ME3, and be mindful of how weapon loadouts impact talent cooldown times. As a useful rule of thumb, if your Adept is shooting guns as a matter of course, you probably aren't Adepting to the fullest :haw:

Edit: Also, bear in mind that Warp can be both a *source* for combos, as well as a detonator. Remember that, and what might otherwise be some of the toughest (in 'ability to take damage' terms) enemies in the game will be enjoyably trivialised.

magimix fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 11, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I disagree. Save Citadel for after the end of the game. It's got a much lighter tone to the rest of the story, and the very end of it really does feel like Bioware just saying thanks for playing the trilogy. The entire DLC is basically one last round of fun with the entire crew.

Oh, well yeah you can do that too, for sure. But he said it was his second playthrough, so he's already been exposed to the ending.

If anyone were to be playing it for the first time with all the DLC, definitely do Citadel after beating the game to rinse your brain out.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Can anyone give some tips when the best time to play each dlc is? I'm about to start my second playthrough, this time with all the dlc. The DLCs I have are From Ashes, Leviathan, Citadel and Omega. Also, any tips for building/playing Adept would be appreciated, I've only played soldier so far and wanna switch things up a lil this time.

Play From Ashes as soon as possible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I read somewhere recently (possibly even in this thread) that someone's headcanon was that Citadel is set after the game. It makes Destroy the canon ending, and Citadel is set about 6 months later. They restored EDI from back-ups, and the Geth were rebuilt by the Quarians. This is post-war learning to relax again.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

The_Doctor posted:

I read somewhere recently (possibly even in this thread) that someone's headcanon was that Citadel is set after the game. It makes Destroy the canon ending, and Citadel is set about 6 months later. They restored EDI from back-ups, and the Geth were rebuilt by the Quarians. This is post-war learning to relax again.

This is basically my headcanon. gently caress you Bioware I'll make my own drat happy ending :argh:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I've been going through youtube videos of the Citadel romance scenes. It's good to see that amidst all the Ending talk, there are a few holdouts keeping good old-fashioned Gay Romance Paranoia alive.

(Cortez is aimed at neo-liberal children who don't know what a real homosexual looks like, kids)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I... what? What does a 'real' homosexual look like then?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So is Kai Leng deliberately supposed to be one of those annoying guys who talks about how great he is, you kick his rear end then he gets to "win" in a cutscene and continue to goad you for sucking so you want to kill him for the sheer satisfaction of not having to deal with his plot armor anymore, or was he genuinely supposed to be a super-badass ninja that is just too drat "cool and awesome" for Shepard to handle?

Yeah, you can probably tell that I just completed Priority: Thessia :argh:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

So is Kai Leng deliberately supposed to be one of those annoying guys who talks about how great he is, you kick his rear end then he gets to "win" in a cutscene and continue to goad you for sucking so you want to kill him for the sheer satisfaction of not having to deal with his plot armor anymore, or was he genuinely supposed to be a super-badass ninja that is just too drat "cool and awesome" for Shepard to handle?

Don't worry, just just wait until you complete one of the final missions.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the advice, I'll do From Ashes asap and the rest when I feel like it. Also gonna get my warp on.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Jerusalem posted:

It made sense to me at the time! How was I know that EVERYBODY but the Salarian Dalatrass would change their mind about what was for the best for the Galaxy!

At least Wrex is still my space-buddy :shobon:

Regardless of paragon or renegade affiliation, you never throw a tool away. Then again, I threw the collector base away.

From Ashes should be played from the second you are capable of it. It's so clearly part of the base game that was ripped out. There's way too much interaction with story elements for the entire rest of the game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

It is very satisfying when you get to give this man what he's due. Say what you will, but by the end of the game I wanted to murder this man.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Pretty sure the devs intended him to be the latter, considering the books he's taken from portray him that way. Keep playing.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
The series is 50% off on Origin through tomorrow. http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en...qTHRIWGAvfo_wGw

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jerusalem posted:

Judging by so many other "emotional" scenes in this game, he's a hilariously failed attempt at the latter.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Geostomp posted:

Judging by so many other "emotional" scenes in this game, he's a hilariously failed attempt at the latter.

See, sometimes I would agree, but then you have Thane commenting on how Leng should be ashamed that all it took for him to fail his mission was a terminally sick drell, or his erudite comeback of “Sh-SHUT UP!" when Shepard mocks him for running away on both the Citadel and Thessia. Honestly, I'd be shocked if all the writers were on the same page with him.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Geostomp posted:

Indeed. I wouldn't mind it so much, but few things in games rankle as much, for me, as going through a combat encounter (usually a boss fight) which you can ostensibly win but then have to 'lose' in the following cut-scene because the story requires it. Many games have done it, and its always annoyed me when I've seen it. It feels like the game has wasted my time. The example in ME3 is particularly egregious because that fight is so easy to totally dominate in every respect, to the extent that your foe won't get to land a single attack on anyone.

That said, I shouldn't be too reductive. I tend to frown on it as a device, but can look past that depending on how it is framed or contextaulised. ME2's Arrival DLC has an example of this kind of defeat, but it doesn't rankle so much there (for me), due to the structure of the encounter, and the way your defeat is presented.

BreakAtmo posted:

See, sometimes I would agree, but then you have Thane commenting on how Leng should be ashamed that all it took for him to fail his mission was a terminally sick drell, or his erudite comeback of “Sh-SHUT UP!" when Shepard mocks him for running away on both the Citadel and Thessia. Honestly, I'd be shocked if all the writers were on the same page with him.

That is all well and good, but the way Shepard's response to the Thessia defeat is presented thereafter indicates clearly an expectation that the player is similarly invested, and bummed at being beaten. It fails though, because it is totally unearned, by virtue of how it was framed and presented. Again, other games (including other ME games) use the story-defeat thing, but have done a better job of securing a degree of investment from the player despite having no agency in the defeat.

magimix fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 11, 2013

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is the music that plays right at the end of Citadel when you're all looking at the Normandy in dock on the soundtrack album that got released?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there any point to not having Dr. Chakwas and the reporter lady on the ship? I wanna do a full renegade playthrough, so my instinct is to always go with the bottom option but one seems to be clearly better than the other here.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Is there any point to not having Dr. Chakwas and the reporter lady on the ship? I wanna do a full renegade playthrough, so my instinct is to always go with the bottom option but one seems to be clearly better than the other here.

Typically in terms of assets you will find another way to get them. the Paragon/Renegade options are typically about how you experience the story, not the actual tools you have in the end. There are all sorts of characters you can not have in me3 and it doesn't change the sorts of assets you acquire, just the kind of personal interaction you can have with them.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Boy, people weren't kidding about the Spectre gear in the first game. The shotgun can pretty much one-shot most enemies from almost any distance on normal difficulty.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Phantom-lookin' armors you get from the Armax arena aren't color-tintable, right? I wanted to make space ninja Shep but, like, colorfully. In fact my squad doesn't step off the shuttle unless they are coordinated to at least four colors of the rainbow.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

magimix posted:

Indeed. I wouldn't mind it so much, but few things in games rankle as much, for me, as going through a combat encounter (usually a boss fight) which you can ostensibly win but then have to 'lose' in the following cut-scene because the story requires it. Many games have done it, and its always annoyed me when I've seen it. It feels like the game has wasted my time. The example in ME3 is particularly egregious because that fight is so easy to totally dominate in every respect, to the extent that your foe won't get to land a single attack on anyone.

That said, I shouldn't be too reductive. I tend to frown on it as a device, but can look past that depending on how it is framed or contextaulised. ME2's Arrival DLC has an example of this kind of defeat, but it doesn't rankle so much there (for me), due to the structure of the encounter, and the way your defeat is presented.

That is all well and good, but the way Shepard's response to the Thessia defeat is presented thereafter indicates clearly an expectation that the player is similarly invested, and bummed at being beaten. It fails though, because it is totally unearned, by virtue of how it was framed and presented. Again, other games (including other ME games) use the story-defeat thing, but have done a better job of securing a degree of investment from the player despite having no agency in the defeat.

Shepard's not just reacting to Kai Leng, though-- she's also reacting to the fact that Kai Leng making off with the macguffin coincided with the fall of a Council homeworld. It's not just that a mean ninja stole your lunch money, it's that on top of a huge setback in the war.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rincewind posted:

Shepard's not just reacting to Kai Leng, though-- she's also reacting to the fact that Kai Leng making off with the macguffin coincided with the fall of a Council homeworld. It's not just that a mean ninja stole your lunch money, it's that on top of a huge setback in the war.

I said 'Thessia defeat' - that covers the whole kaboodle, not just the matter of Kai Leng. Moreover, it doesn't really get to the core of my point, which is that the game didn't earn the buy-in and response it clearly wants from the player. Anyway, time to grind out the Geth assignments before hitting Virmire :shepface:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rypakal posted:

Then again, I threw the collector base away.

I will defend that decision to my dying day - if there is one thing that has been painfully, hilariously well-documented in this game is that anything slightly dangerous that gets into Cerberus' hands will completely blow up in their faces - either they'll "go rogue" or everybody dies or they lose complete control of the situation and need somebody to come mop it up. There was no way in hell I would have ever let them get their hands on the Collector Base.

Edit: Same deal with killing the Rachni :colbert:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 11, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The Citadel OST is available for no charge!

http://social.bioware.com/me3citadelsoundtrack.php

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is there a reason my Falcon rifle has topped out at level 8? There's no new upgrade in the weapons procurement, and I want it to be level 10 like the other weapons I use.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Kai Leng was pretty clearly intended to be a Cerberus C-lister who got shuttled to the top of the ranks when Shepard walked off with and/or killed their best and brightest. She acts the way she does after Thessia out of shame. She lost for bullshit reasons (the sungunship was in my eyes) but at the end of the day she still lost to the biggest tool we've seen over the course of all three games. Literally the only person in the series who takes him seriously is Anderson and as much as I love the guy, he's also the person who thought "my soldier had a vision of the apocolypse" was admissible in space court.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

The_Doctor posted:

Is there a reason my Falcon rifle has topped out at level 8? There's no new upgrade in the weapons procurement, and I want it to be level 10 like the other weapons I use.
Iirc this is because you haven't passed the point in the story yet where you'd normally procure it (cerberus HQ). You see, the mechanic works as followed; ['max weapon level from shop'] = ['max weapon level'] - ['amount of times left in upcoming missions'].

Batham fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 12, 2013

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Literally the only person in the series who takes him seriously is Anderson and as much as I love the guy, he's also the person who thought "my soldier had a vision of the apocolypse" was admissible in space court.

I guess you can argue that it was bad writing and consistent writing at the same time :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Kai Leng constantly stumbles over himself anytime Shepard actually addresses him and gets burnt constantly. He's a thorn in Shepard's side, but anyone who thinks the writing team seriously thought Kai Leng was some sort of super badass, when they've got him blubbering 'sh-shut up!' towards the end of the game is probably deluding themselves.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You parry and break Kai Leng's sword with your fist.

He is not badass, he's a loser.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

Kai Leng constantly stumbles over himself anytime Shepard actually addresses him and gets burnt constantly. He's a thorn in Shepard's side, but anyone who thinks the writing team seriously thought Kai Leng was some sort of super badass, when they've got him blubbering 'sh-shut up!' towards the end of the game is probably deluding themselves.

He did do that ELITE HACKING of Alliance Command's space-Yahoo account. Probably the only thing he ever did correctly (even if it was stupid as hell).

I love Kai Leng. He's literally a self-insert fanfiction badguy who's thrown face first onto an omniblade on purpose. He's every anime/James Bond super-mook wrapped into one convenient package that you eventually punch to death. That anyone takes him seriously, in and out of game, is testament to how goofy Mass Effect really is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a recommended point in the story at which I should take on Omega? For that matter, what about Citadel? I finished Leviathan in one sitting last night, just after unlocking Grissom Academy, and while the story held up, more than half the enemies launched at me were way out of sequence.

I've never gotten much farther than Tuchanka in the game, though I've long since spoiled myself on the 10kft overview of the story, if that makes a difference.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I like to do it before Thessia, before Tuchanka would work well, for similar reasons.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I haven't played through SP since release so I forgot how utterly terrible the Reaper fight on Rannoch is. That beam was nowhere near me, man. :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Play Citadel one week after you finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

magimix posted:

The best version of the hopeless boss fight that I've ever seen is the one in Jedi Knight II when you first fight Desann. He has Force powers, you don't, so of course you get stomped, and the actual gameplay during the fight reflects that.

• Locked thread