Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

hailthefish posted:

Well, hit it with a broom handle or something, this is nuclear physics, not rocket science!

Like the Windscale Pile 1 fire!

Wikipedia posted:

Operators were unsure what to do about the fire. First, they tried to blow the flames out by putting the fans onto full power and increasing the cooling, but this fanned the flames. Tom Hughes and his colleague had already created a fire break by ejecting some undamaged fuel cartridges from around the blaze and Tom Tuohy suggested trying to eject some from the heart of the fire, by bludgeoning the melted cartridges through the reactor and into the cooling pond behind it with scaffolding poles. This proved impossible and the fuel rods refused to budge, no matter how much force was applied. The poles were withdrawn with their ends red hot and, once, a pole was returned red hot and dripping with molten metal. Hughes knew this had to be molten irradiated uranium and this caused serious radiation problems on the charge hoist itself.

"It [the exposed fuel channel] was white hot," said Hughes' colleague on the charge hoist with him, "it was just white hot. Nobody, I mean, nobody, can believe how hot it could possibly be."

it also features classic British understatement

quote:

Finally he managed to pull the inspection plate away and was greeted with the sight of the fire dying away.

"First the flames went, then the flames reduced and the glow began to die down," [Tuohy] described, "I went up to check several times until I was satisfied that the fire was out. I did stand to one side, sort of hopefully," he went on to say, "but if you're staring straight at the core of a shut down reactor you're going to get quite a bit of radiation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Like the Windscale Pile 1 fire!

it also features classic British understatement

Holy gently caress what a time to be alive.

quote:

This energy, if allowed to accumulate, could escape spontaneously in a powerful rush of heat. Once commissioned and settled into operations, Windscale Pile 2 experienced a mysterious rise in core temperature, and this was attributed to a sudden Wigner energy release. This worried British scientists, so a means of safely releasing the stored energy was sought. The only viable solution was an annealing process, in which the graphite core was heated to 250°C by the nuclear fuel to allow the displaced carbon atoms to slip back into place in crystalline structure, gradually releasing their stored energy as heat, and causing a uniform release which spread throughout the core.

"Guys, this things gonna catch on fire if we don't set in on fire."

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Edit: I wonder if anyone is saying allah ackbar ironically in the videos.

Haha I never thought of that. I love picturing some officer show up and say "Hey jundi, go run up and toss this charge on that tank." All he gets is an eye roll and "yeah alla ackbar sir".

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Haha I never thought of that. I love picturing some officer show up and say "Hey jundi, go run up and toss this charge on that tank." All he gets is an eye roll and "yeah alla ackbar sir".

Sounds like a Terminal Lance strip. From what I noticed about military members from other countries, apparently there's a kind of E4 mafia equivalent everywhere.

e: I remember now that Insha'Allah gets used as "Whatever," sometimes. A great example of this was the story of a young Iraqi soldier getting his rear end chewed, then he just goes, "Insha'Allah" and shrugged it off.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 12, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Brown Moses posted:

This video from Syria shows a group of opposition fighters getting about as close as you would want to be to a cluster bomb strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8QpCfZbtU
:aaa: I was wondering why you were describing that as a cluster bomb. Took me a couple viewings before I realized the cluster bombs (visible only in a few frames around 15 seconds in) had exploded in a line about 30' on the other side of the road from those guys. Goddamn they were lucky. Well, aside from their only cover being some local species of barbed wire plant.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Wasabi the J posted:

e: I remember now that Insha'Allah gets used as "Whatever," sometimes. A great example of this was the story of a young Iraqi soldier getting his rear end chewed, then he just goes, "Insha'Allah" and shrugged it off.

It can also mean "Yeah, that's not gonna happen" as a snippy response to a request.

Note the glowbelts on the machine guns

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Sounds like a Terminal Lance strip. From what I noticed about military members from other countries, apparently there's a kind of E4 mafia equivalent everywhere.

The other side just not giving any fucks kinda humanizes them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baloogan posted:

The other side just not giving any fucks kinda humanizes them.

They were on our side, sorta. Just not very well.

Is there a reason you wouldn't just do what I'm thinking of doing to get rid of this problem?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Because you'll shoot bees everywhere, god.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Because you'll shoot bees everywhere, god.

Apparently someone has never heard of maintainers stationed/TDY at Guam tossing the gigantic loving frogs into engine exhaust only to watch them fly hundreds of yards.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

River Raid posted:

There was a Marine OV-10 pilot who wrote a book that felt a lot like Raz's work, but I can never remember his name or the book's title. Anyone know the guy I'm talking about. He was in Santini's MAG, made Santini slice his hand open on a ceiling fan?

If I had to guess I'd say either Robert Stoffey's Cleared Hot or J.M. Moriarty's Ground Attack Vietnam. Haven't read either of them (yet), but AFAIK those are the only two books specifically about USMC Broncos in Vietnam.

Speaking of Broncos, this guy this ship was named after was a stone cold bad rear end:

quote:

Capt. Bennett was the pilot of a light aircraft flying an artillery adjustment mission along a heavily defended segment of route structure. A large concentration of enemy troops was massing for an attack on a friendly unit. Capt. Bennett requested tactical air support but was advised that none was available. He also requested artillery support but this too was denied due to the close proximity of friendly troops to the target. Capt. Bennett was determined to aid the endangered unit and elected to strafe the hostile positions. After 4 such passes, the enemy force began to retreat. Capt. Bennett continued the attack, but, as he completed his fifth strafing pass, his aircraft was struck by a surface-to-air missile, which severely damaged the left engine and the left main landing gear. As fire spread in the left engine, Capt. Bennett realized that recovery at a friendly airfield was impossible. He instructed his observer to prepare for an ejection, but was informed by the observer that his parachute had been shredded by the force of the impacting missile. Although Capt. Bennett had a good parachute, he knew that if he ejected, the observer would have no chance of survival. With complete disregard for his own life, Capt. Bennett elected to ditch the aircraft into the Gulf of Tonkin, even though he realized that a pilot of this type aircraft had never survived a ditching. The ensuing impact upon the water caused the aircraft to cartwheel and severely damaged the front cockpit, making escape for Capt. Bennett impossible. The observer successfully made his way out of the aircraft and was rescued. Capt. Bennett's unparalleled concern for his companion, extraordinary heroism and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty, at the cost of his life, were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Air Force

e:

holocaust bloopers posted:

Apparently someone has never heard of maintainers stationed/TDY at Guam tossing the gigantic loving frogs into engine exhaust only to watch them fly hundreds of yards.

Related

:lol:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 12, 2013

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

We duct taped one of those 2 pronged bbq forks to a mop handle and tried to cook a hot dog in the jet exhaust. Goddamn hot dog flew off the fork :smith:. We've also tried sticking said mop handle into the afterburner flame, which you can't even do because the force of the exhaust pushes it away.

Also we might have accidentally launched an entire toolbox down the augmenter at the test cell. Good thing I was checking out when that happened.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Red Crown posted:

It can also mean "Yeah, that's not gonna happen" as a snippy response to a request.

Note the glowbelts on the machine guns

Spent link chutes on the M2. We normally have green, anywhere from bright to dark.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 12, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That article quickly led me to this: http://www.stripes.com/news/following-complaints-hagel-orders-review-of-drone-medal-ranking-1.211531

which should make a lot of people happy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The Douglas AIR-2 Genie. An unguided nuclear-warhead-tipped rocket, designed to be fired at an incoming bomber formation.

Someone thought this was a good idea.

You say that like it wasn't. :colbert:

BOMARC remains one of my favorites: a ramjet-powered, nuclear-tipped surface-to-air cruise missile. There was even a non-nuclear version, though the HE warhead was in the vicinity of a thousand pounds. You know, to make sure. When introduced, it had a number in the fighter designator series, since clearly this is what fighters were going to be like in THE FUTURE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvEnFyQCuz8

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Madurai posted:

When introduced, it had a number in the fighter designator series, since clearly this is what fighters were going to be like in THE FUTURE.

That had more to do with the USAF trying to sleeze its way into the Army's SAM turf by claiming they were pilotless aircraft instead of, you know, SAMs.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Phanatic posted:

That's a myth. Teller brought up the notion that the bomb could ignite nitrogen-nitrogen fusion in the atmosphere and that the reaction might be self-sustaining, but this was disproved well before the Trinity test.

The best criticality experiment was one related to the demon core, but involved one subcritical mass of uranium being, a slug, being dropped through another subcritical mass, and as it dropped through it would briefly significantly spike in activity and by measuring the increase they could more accurately calculate what a critical mass would be.

The question was raised "What happens if, while dropping through the rig, the slug gets stuck? Like, maybe because it heats up and expands and wedges itself in there, so what's supposed to be "briefly" critical stays that way?"

The answer was pretty much "Hope real hard that doesn't happen.

Yeah, the Godiva device is one of those setups. As far as I understand it, it's pretty similar to the demon core setup with a beryllium sphere, except in 3 parts and a vertical tunnel in the center through which fissile material was dropped.

This, apparently also went wrong several times, once because a scientific technician simply leaned over the device to check something and neutrons reflected ny his body caused the test mass to briefly go critical. :psyduck:

One other time, the rod somehow got stuck or didn't pass through the sphere correctly and it caused a criticality excursion (?) that melted the rods of the device and twisted it up somethin' fierce:

All for the sake of blowing poo poo up more spectacularly. :patriot:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 13, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

All for the sake of blowing poo poo up more spectacularly. :patriot:

I guess researching a pretty potent form of energy is too not-cool. :colbert:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is worth a read, looking at two videos that show the same incident from both sides of the battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn1NWU3nGQc&t=327s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxm2bbU9V1M&t=45s

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's pretty crazy.
Especially the end of the article. where it's possible to find out exactly where the attack took place, and where everybody was.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It makes you wonder when it becomes viable to do things like using the other guy's live feed / Youtubes as intel instead of risking your own drones / recon, and if there is value in putting up falsified / altered data as counterintel, beyond the propaganda value.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If only they had this technology during the Civil War so I could have told every kid to gently caress off in History class when we discussed it because there was no loving way I was sitting with the great^4 grandkids of every loving union general

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

It makes you wonder when it becomes viable to do things like using the other guy's live feed / Youtubes as intel instead of risking your own drones / recon, and if there is value in putting up falsified / altered data as counterintel, beyond the propaganda value.

OSINT (open source intelligence) is a semi-new and pretty interesting field. With social media being the thing it is now, it only makes sense to apply intelligence analysis to it.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Booblord Zagats posted:

If only they had this technology during the Civil War so I could have told every kid to gently caress off in History class when we discussed it because there was no loving way I was sitting with the great^4 grandkids of every loving union general

I am the great-great-great-grandson of a private who got shot in the face, took 6 months off because he lost half of his jaw and came back to keep fighting. gently caress a general.

Also, gently caress me, because I think I'd be out after losing my jaw.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Georgia Peach posted:

I am the great-great-great-grandson of a private who got shot in the face, took 6 months off because he lost half of his jaw and came back to keep fighting. gently caress a general.

Also, gently caress me, because I think I'd be out after losing my jaw.

My family owns an assload of tobacco land in Georgia, so we just sent slaves to be trained as soldiers and didn't do poo poo. Sherman didn't burn em down, and just hired our slaves as share croppers after the war and made more money that way since they didn't have to feed them or house them anymore, while still taking 80% of the poo poo they grew.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

That had more to do with the USAF trying to sleeze its way into the Army's SAM turf by claiming they were pilotless aircraft instead of, you know, SAMs.

The Falcon air-to-air missile also had a fighter number, so that might not be as purely political as all that. BOMARC had a better claim, what with the 400-mile range, and all.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Cross post from dnd.

Cops.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That ain't right.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Perfect for blending with the desolate, semi-arid, austere environs of Anytown, USA.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

Cross post from dnd.

Cops.

This poo poo bothers me a lot for some reason. It's one thing to have a SWAT team, it's another for the police to keep constantly adopting the uniforms and equipment of the Army.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DoktorLoken posted:

This poo poo bothers me a lot for some reason. It's one thing to have a SWAT team, it's another for the police to keep constantly adopting the uniforms and equipment of the Army.

Its because militarized police never work out. Be it the SS or the SPs

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Every mention of the legendary Thud must be accompanied with the following fact:

The F-105 was capable of carrying the same bombload as a fully-loaded B-17.

The Douglas AIR-2 Genie. An unguided nuclear-warhead-tipped rocket, designed to be fired at an incoming bomber formation.

Someone thought this was a good idea.

SAGE probably deserves the same sort of mention, as almost every account I've ever read about it unanimously agrees that it never once worked as advertised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-Automatic_Ground_Environment

"The AN/FSQ-7 had 100 system consoles for the operator environment, including the OA-1008 Situation Display (SD) with a light gun (at end of cable), cigarette lighter, and ash tray (left of the light gun)."

That's a F-106 Delta Dart. It was a pretty awesome plane.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

Cross post from dnd.

Cops.

Those homeland security block grants aren't going to spend themselves.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

They have better issued gear than our regular infantry and it makes me sad.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The town they are in has a population of less than 8,000.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
One of these towns is going to get an Aurora shooter style incident and everyone will be like "Thank god those army dudes were here! What, those were cops?". Before you know it every single small town will have SCARs, fancy armor, and those wicked badass NVGs from zero dark thirty .

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Kaliber posted:

They have better issued gear than our regular infantry and it makes me sad.

Truth. Who thought that was a good idea?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
All their fancy gear, and they let the FBI go in after the guy. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Plate Carrier? Check
M4? Check
Grip Pod? Check
PMAG? Check
Making sure your EO tech is mounted properly? gently caress!

Why is the other guy holding his shotgun like a machine gun?

• Locked thread