Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pegnose Pete posted:

That's some good food for thought.
The 35mm focal length would probably be fine for 80% of the stuff I intend to shoot, but yeah spending 20% of my time potentially frustrated doesn't sound too good...

One of the big Canadian dealers offers the X-E1 bundled with a few different options, with the 35mm f1.4, OR the 18mm f2.0, for 1299.99. That's the same price that the X100s will be launching at.

Or I could go for a bundle with the 18-55 kit, but I'm attracted to shooting with primes.

I could wait a few months and see what new primes they release, as a pancake would cut down on bulk a bit.

Have you considered the OM-D? It sounds like you want something flexible but also really small, and an OM-D with the body cap lens is about as flexible and small as you can get. All depends on if you like retro in general, or retro rangefinder specifically (and if you don't mind the EVF).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The upcoming pancake is a 27mm f2.8, by the way. Here's their lens roadmap:

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/933/fujifilm-x-mount-lens-road-map-2012-2013/p1

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Mr. Despair posted:

Have you considered the OM-D? It sounds like you want something flexible but also really small, and an OM-D with the body cap lens is about as flexible and small as you can get. All depends on if you like retro in general, or retro rangefinder specifically (and if you don't mind the EVF).

I hadn't really looked into that one, no.
The articulating screen would be great for some from-the-hip street shots.
The weather sealing is always nice too for rainy days, I don't think the X-E1 has that.

The sensor is smaller though, correct?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Personally, I am pretty crazy happy with using my older DSLR for portraits, museums, etc. and carrying my RX100 everywhere else. Sure, it's not quite as good as even m4/3, but it goes everywhere because it's just so damned tiny. I dithered playing with people's mirrorless cameras for like two years before the RX100 came out, not really wanting to commit, and not being completely happy with the level of portability vs. image quality and no OVF tradeoffs, because mostly the scenarios I'd take the mirrorless camera would be the same places I'd be willing to lug a DSLR, because I'm too lazy to lug any bulky camera most places at all, it turns out. But that's just what worked for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just bought a $5 L39/M39-NEX adapter off eBay. I figured if it sucked then I wouldn't be out too much money, and if it turns out my M39 lenses are awesome and this adapter sucks then I can just get a better one down the road.

That said, now I really REALLY want an Industar-69 pancake to put on this camera. I think that is now my dream combo as far as size goes.

edit: Also, can someone with a -5N tell me what the MF assist timer is for? I set it to 2 seconds, but when I hit MF+ which is bound to the bottom softkey it just kind of stays in MF+ zoomed-in mode forever until I hit the top softkey to make it go away.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 12, 2013

rio
Mar 20, 2008

From memory, I think it is when you have an af lens on the camera but use mf it will auto zoom in when you turn the focus ring and then go back to normal after 2 seconds or whatever it is set to.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
From the previous page, but I liked it:

The Dorkroom > The EVIL/Micro 4/3rds/NS/Q/NEX Megathread - NEX-ism leads to X100 disease, so watch out!

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
So... I had been tempted to get into photography of sorts, mostly as a noob to take pictures at random/when I'm travelling. I'm tired of my camera phone and didn't like point and shoots very much (my ex's camera had crap quality/zoom?). I was looking into T3i (a few friends started with that) for a while but disliked how big the camera was. Someone had mentioned they were impressed with the x100 and stopped using DSLRs afterwards so I had been trying to read up on mirrorless and figure out what is a good starting point.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The samsung nx300 seemed kind of cool but no one had said much about it ...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, they're not on sale yet in most stores, for one.

I don't really know why the NX line appears to be unpopular. They're more or less equivalent to NEX models at the same price point, perhaps lacking a few features but having comparable (arguably better, even) lens selection. Unless you really care about a specific feature that one or the other lacks, you're probably just better off getting whichever's cheaper in your area.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Eh.. in NYC, so everything is overpriced :( Not really going to get a camera immediately so I guess I can wait longer and check again in a month or two.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Aargh posted:

The 35mm 1.4 isn't much smaller than the 18-55. Its not saying its a big lens, neither is the zoom (even compared to something like a Tamron 17-50).

It certainly feels bigger than the 35 when it's on the camera, it's a fair bit heavier too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, the NX300 body looks pretty sexy.

rio posted:

From memory, I think it is when you have an af lens on the camera but use mf it will auto zoom in when you turn the focus ring and then go back to normal after 2 seconds or whatever it is set to.

Ahh! That would explain, it, thanks :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 12, 2013

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Eirgen posted:

Eh.. in NYC, so everything is overpriced :( Not really going to get a camera immediately so I guess I can wait longer and check again in a month or two.

You should visit B&H Photo. Huge selection, good prices, not a scam.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

DanTheFryingPan posted:

You should visit B&H Photo. Huge selection, good prices, not a scam.

Going off of that, which do we know are scams? Amazon and Google have some discounted x100's but coming from an automotive industry job, I have a hard time trusting anything that isn't the manufacturer itself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I forgot Ken Rockwell existed for a minute :rolleyes:

K-ROCK posted:

Many people love playing with different lenses and adapters, but that's playing, not photography. With the electronic lens corrections in the NEX-5R, the dinky kit lens performs as well as a $5,000 LEICA SUMMILUX-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH mit floating element.

:jerkbag:

Also half that quote was affiliate links to Adorama.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Costello Jello posted:

Personally, I am pretty crazy happy with using my older DSLR for portraits, museums, etc. and carrying my RX100 everywhere else. Sure, it's not quite as good as even m4/3, but it goes everywhere because it's just so damned tiny. I dithered playing with people's mirrorless cameras for like two years before the RX100 came out, not really wanting to commit, and not being completely happy with the level of portability vs. image quality and no OVF tradeoffs, because mostly the scenarios I'd take the mirrorless camera would be the same places I'd be willing to lug a DSLR, because I'm too lazy to lug any bulky camera most places at all, it turns out. But that's just what worked for me.

When I was auditioning DSLR backups, I was struggling with m4/3 and NEX and the Fuji X series. After reading enough reviews and peeping enough pixels and having the wife showroom which cameras she would actually use from a UI perspective, I came to the same Sony RX-100 conclusion.

Still have a certain desire for a used Fuji X100, but I know that's me being irrational. :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Eirgen posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions? The samsung nx300 seemed kind of cool but no one had said much about it ...

IIRC when Samsung first launched their new range of bodies, the image quality was pretty poor and so the reviews weren't very positive.

And of course, if you aren't one of the top 5 lens mounts, you will always suffer as the range of available lenses is less - which makes you less tempting as a new system: chicken and egg.

which is a shame, as I was tempted when they first launched.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Martytoof posted:

That said, now I really REALLY want an Industar-69 pancake to put on this camera. I think that is now my dream combo as far as size goes.

THAT looks like a cool lens. I was in Ukraine and Russia last summer and probably could have picked some up cheap.
I sorely needed a better camera for that trip, just had P&S.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

spog posted:

IIRC when Samsung first launched their new range of bodies, the image quality was pretty poor and so the reviews weren't very positive.

And of course, if you aren't one of the top 5 lens mounts, you will always suffer as the range of available lenses is less - which makes you less tempting as a new system: chicken and egg.

The NX200, 210 and 300 all use the same sensor. What do you mean by poor image quality? The only major complaints reviewers seemed to have was that the NX200 was launched at around $900 - once it dropped to $500 it made a lot more sense. The lack of articulation on the screen is unfortunate but the NX300 is supposed to fix that and add some other missing features. Although I'm not really sure why the screen only articulates up and down; it seems like being able to flip it sideways would be at least as useful.

What exactly is better about the E-mount lineup? That seems to be the one thing NEX users complain about most.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 12, 2013

spog
Aug 7, 2004

eXXon posted:

The NX200, 210 and 300 all use the same sensor. What do you mean by poor image quality? The only major complaints reviewers seemed to have was that the NX200 was launched at around $900 - once it dropped to $500 it made a lot more sense. The lack of articulation on the screen is unfortunate but the NX300 is supposed to fix that and add some other missing features. Although I'm not really sure why the screen only articulates up and down; it seems like being able to flip it sideways would be at least as useful.

What exactly is better about the E-mount lineup? That seems to be the one thing NEX users complain about most.

Sorry, when I said 'new range', I meant the original NX10.

It was a reasonable body, except it wasn't so great at higher ISOs when compared to the competition and had only 2 lenses available in the new mount. There wasn't any compelling reason to consider it over the competition, which is why it lagged at the start and once you lag, it is hard to catch up in popularity when the competition is producing good bodies and lenses. Sigma don't make their excellent and/or cheap lenses for your mount if not many people already have your mount and if Sigma doesn;t make lenses for your mount, it's less reason to invest in your mount. Chicken and egg.

That's why you don't hear much about it.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I forgot Ken Rockwell existed for a minute :rolleyes:

:jerkbag:

Also half that quote was affiliate links to Adorama.

Yesterday on /r/photography in the comments on Huff's Leica M review, someone compared Huff to K-ROCK, and all I could think is, "no, there's no way Huff is that bad." Thanks for confirming. I actually like a bunch of Huff's articles and reviews.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Huff is not as bad as Rockwell, but he's steadily heading in that direction. His opinion is pretty openly for sale and Leica bought and paid for it several years back. I could overlook that, and I do agree with quite a few things he writes, if only I didn't find his photos to be so very mediocre. I'm also really sick of looking at that surly kid of his.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
About the x100(s) and X-E1. If my experiences can be of any help...

I'm an amateur photographer..
Got a DSLR, multiple lenses. Then bought the X100 and instead of having to think about which lenses to bring and being fixated on buying gear etc. I could just pick up the x100, take it with me anywhere and forget about which lenses I may need. Or which things I would have to convince myself to buy. Instead I was capturing moments, even without 6 fps shooting.
In short, it made photography a lot more fun for me. It also taught me that a prime lens is an excellent way of learning photography.

So, I sold the DSLR. Too big and unused.
However, as a replacement I got the X-E1 as a long term "in case I want something else than 35mm" camera. I love it, so small still. However, the X100 is pocketable and therefor my #1 camera that's always with me.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

Going off of that, which do we know are scams? Amazon and Google have some discounted x100's but coming from an automotive industry job, I have a hard time trusting anything that isn't the manufacturer itself.

You should shop around B&H, Amazon and Adorama to check for prices, or scout out a local shop. KEH is good for used gear. If it's a small shop with a suspiciously low price, it's probably a scam. A lot of the retail chains don't really have camera stuff besides entry-level bodies, and the staff tend to be pretty clueless. If you do find a brick and mortar store, you can always check it out. Having a local, knowledgeable store can be a huge boon.

A few pages back I was thinking about switching systems to an OM-D, but in the end I reckoned I'd lose too much money. I couldn't afford all the new lenses I'd need, amd selling the old stuff is too much of a hassle. I still feel that I haven't paid enough attention to personal photography in a while, and the reluctance of hauling all my gear is probably a factor. This weekend I should be picking up a used Fuji X100, and as the weather improves, I'll be looking forward to carrying a small, capable camera. I used to have one for a while back in 2011, but had to get rid of it.

However, the OM-D felt really good with the grip, and some of the lenses are alluring, so maybe in a few years.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

David Pratt posted:

It certainly feels bigger than the 35 when it's on the camera, it's a fair bit heavier too.

Yeah i know, I own both. As far as carrying them though the biggest concern is the physical size not the weight so much.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
My wife picked up a Epl-1 a while back and has been using the kit lens? that came with it. Is it worth buying a better lens for it or should we think about just buying a new setup? This is a just a family memories camera and we have a few big trips coming up that will get some heavy camera time. I've heard the Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens is a great lens for most everything. Are there any cheaper alternatives? thanks for the help.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
I've been thinking about getting my feet into photography for a while -- I am in Pegnose Pete's situation.
A beginner, been eyeing the X100 forever, but not sure if it's the right move versus something like the Xe-1 with multiple lenses.

I envision using my camera for everyday use, but also outdoors (maybe hiking?) and traveling.
I definitely like the idea of light -- I never wanted a DSLR because I could definitely see myself not wanting to be burdened by it.

I get that the X100 is good for street photography -- but I'm mainly concerned about the travel aspect. My guess is it would be fine. It's also a large chunk of change -- the most I would have ever spent on a camera by far.

Would it be fine for a new photographer? My pockets aren't lined with cash or anything, I've just read a lot of good things about this camera that appeal to me and make me want to upgrade from a normal point and shoot. Or should I look elsewhere?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I like the X100 better as a second camera, and an interchangeable lens camera as a primary camera (I use a traditional DSLR but there's lots of options now) but that depends on what you want to shoot and costs more.

A lot of people I know who might use the X100 as a primary camera started shooting with interchangeable lens cameras, figured out their style and what they liked to shoot, and then went to the X100 because that fit their needs and likes. Someone in your situation may still need to experiment to figure out your interest sweet spot.

I can't speak for everyone - just my take!

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 14, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's hard to say whether you'd be happy with the X100's single lens. I think part of learning photography is exploring focal lengths and discovering how you prefer to shoot.

There's something to be said for learning on one focal length and sticking with that, and indeed you might discover after buying an interchangeable lens system that the X100 was what you wanted all along. That's why it's so hard to answer.

I think a lot of beginners like the ability to frame shots differently with a variable focal-length lens, so that's usually what I recommend.

I'm definitely not trying to tell you which to buy, but maybe go play around in-store with a few cameras. Go ask to see one with a prime and try to shoot a few things and ask yourself "okay, is this really cramping my style?". Similarly, try a zoom lens and ask yourself if you think you could do just as well by moving your feet closer or further from the subject.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Nask26 posted:

My wife picked up a Epl-1 a while back and has been using the kit lens? that came with it. Is it worth buying a better lens for it or should we think about just buying a new setup? This is a just a family memories camera and we have a few big trips coming up that will get some heavy camera time. I've heard the Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens is a great lens for most everything. Are there any cheaper alternatives? thanks for the help.

I picked up a Panasonic 14mm f2.5 for half the price of the 20mm 1.7 and it seems to have pretty decent reviews.

Okay, it's not as fast, but arguably, 14mm (28mm equiv) is more flexible than 20mm (40mm equiv). It depends on which focal length you tend to use more often.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Kalix posted:

I've been thinking about getting my feet into photography for a while -- I am in Pegnose Pete's situation.
A beginner, been eyeing the X100 forever, but not sure if it's the right move versus something like the Xe-1 with multiple lenses.

I envision using my camera for everyday use, but also outdoors (maybe hiking?) and traveling.
I definitely like the idea of light -- I never wanted a DSLR because I could definitely see myself not wanting to be burdened by it.

I get that the X100 is good for street photography -- but I'm mainly concerned about the travel aspect. My guess is it would be fine. It's also a large chunk of change -- the most I would have ever spent on a camera by far.

Would it be fine for a new photographer? My pockets aren't lined with cash or anything, I've just read a lot of good things about this camera that appeal to me and make me want to upgrade from a normal point and shoot. Or should I look elsewhere?

It's a fantastic camera with a few drawbacks that may or may not actually bother you, especially if you haven't used any pro camera bodies, or macro lenses, or other high end equipment. The only potential problem with buying an X100 right now is that the X100S is coming very soon (available in Asia right now, I think)- and the market will soon be flooded with tons of X100 cameras- so you might save another $50-100 (discounted cash as well as extra batteries/accessories) by waiting a month in order to purchase it.

e: It's not pocketable for most people, but if you don't mind wearing it on a strap/wristlet/bag, it's very easy to carry around.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Kalix posted:

I went from using a DSLR (Nikon D70) with a kit lens to just using the X100 for my sole camera for half a year until I got some cheap film cameras; in fact, it's been my only digital camera since I got the XPro1 this past December. I feel like the Xe-1 with the zoom lens would be better, in general, for beginners to get their feet wet with photography rather than the fixed focal length of the X100. I only went with the X100 after shooting with my DSLR for awhile because not only did I want something smaller and lighter, I noticed that most of the shooting I was doing was around the 35mm (equivalent) focal length with my kit lens anyway. You might just find that you don't like the focal length of the X100, especially if you're really just starting out.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Yeah, if you're only going to have a x100, you not only have to be okay with one focal length, but you have to be okay with that focal length. I personally prefer 50mm to 35mm, but some feel the other way. I'm not sure I'd recommend that camera to someone as their first and only camera.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Early 2012 I was faced with the same situation when looking for my first good camera and went with the NEX 5N. I decided on it since manual focus lenses were plentiful, cheap and a good way to try to figure out which focal lengths I liked. A few weeks ago I got a X100 and I love it. I use it all of the time and take it everywhere. However, I could never get rid of the 5N purely because 1- focus peaking manual lenses with the electronic viewfinder is ducking fantastic and fun and 2 - trying to get more into paid work would really require having some portrait appropriate options.

It is a tough call but I would go for the interchangeable lenses with a first camera if you are serious about learning. (Fake edit: look into last year's NEX camera, save some cash vs. the XE1)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Some more good info from everybody. I think (today at least) I'm leaning towards the X-E1 because I am serious about learning photography as a hobby and maybe even eventually as a side gig. Also, just from researching online I think I would really like 50mm focal length and the Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R (50 something equivalent) seems like it would be a great lens to start with.

Granted, I wont be able to afford anything for at least a month or two, so who knows how I will feel by then.

I really like the look and feel of the OMD-EM5, but if the Fuji will give me a larger sensor and better IQ I will likely sway towards the latter.

I'm interested to see if Fuji will offer another firmware update for the bodies after the x100s drops.
Edit: I'm so excited to get into photography again, and sometimes get intimidated by the really well composed and high quality shots I see in this subforum. But I just checked the portrait thread and feel a little better about myself.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 15, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bought the Industar 69. $40 on the 'Bay.

So now we play a guessing game:

Which shows up first, my $5 M39-NEX adapter from Hong Kong or my Industar-69 from Belarus!

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Some more good info from everybody. I think (today at least) I'm leaning towards the X-E1 because I am serious about learning photography as a hobby and maybe even eventually as a side gig. Also, just from researching online I think I would really like 50mm focal length and the Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R (50 something equivalent) seems like it would be a great lens to start with.

Granted, I wont be able to afford anything for at least a month or two, so who knows how I will feel by then.

I really like the look and feel of the OMD-EM5, but if the Fuji will give me a larger sensor and better IQ I will likely sway towards the latter.

I'm interested to see if Fuji will offer another firmware update for the bodies after the x100s drops.
Edit: I'm so excited to get into photography again, and sometimes get intimidated by the really well composed and high quality shots I see in this subforum. But I just checked the portrait thread and feel a little better about myself.

The XF 35 is an unbelievably good lens, Fuji needs to make an X100 variant with it. I am hoping that the XF 56 is as nice.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pegnose Pete posted:

To be honest, preferring the look & feel of the OMD will help you to get better photos more than the larger sensor or better IQ from a Fuji camera. The OMD also has the excellent 25/1.4 lens which gives you the 50mm equiv FOV that you like.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gotta second the "shoot what you enjoy holding" thing. Personally I would opt for the Fuji because it looks hella beautiful and fit like a glove last time I held one, but if you like holding the OM-D more then I'd give that a serious second look.

I think sensor technology is at the point where you really don't need to worry about a M43 sensor unless you've got a very specific need for a certain depth of field. I've pixel-peeped some M43 shots that were simply astounding and that I'd put up against a FF Leica or whatever any day.

But remember that in the end it's all about the photo. There are photos that I took in 2001 with the shittiest first generation point and shoot 1.3 mpix camera in full-auto mode that I still enjoy looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I want an X100 bad, but am holding off for the X100S to be out and make a call between going new or used after the market stabilizes a bit (still feel burned by how much the 7D price dropped after release).

I see Nikon is putting out an X100 competitor and I thought I saw a CanonRumor that they were doing the same (maybe I misunderstood) - is there a lot of companies looking at that product space/category? When do they hit the market?