Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Entire Universe posted:

They're named Crystal Dynamics :v:

(They're a SE-owned company.)

They've been called Crystal Dynamics since 1992, long before SE acquired them, also the characters look nothing like Final Fantasy characters, what the hell are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Read After Burning posted:

but it seems kind of lame to have a game where you're stranded on a deserted island and have that feeling of "Aw man, how am I going to survive another night?" only come up once.

Still, general goon consensus seems to be favorable and I'm excited for any game that has a cool female protagonist. :)

You're only on the island for like what 3 days? One deer could easily feed all of the survivors for that long, let alone Lara.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Any PS3 users:

Anyone else having graphical errors? Like there will be a long glitch coming from Lara's hair or her bow.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

They were all "hey we don't have to shoot each other!" And I was all "hmm maybe, wait this isn't an RPG" *blamblamblam*

I ASSUME it's not an option to agree to disagree and go your separate ways there, but I did pause for a second.

There's also a part much earlier on where you pass an trapped guard begging for death, and if you ignore him he yells to his buddies ahead to warn them. A nice bit of "moral choice" without some arbitrary binary system attached to it.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Any PS3 users:

Anyone else having graphical errors? Like there will be a long glitch coming from Lara's hair or her bow.

No but framerate on ps3 is not great unfortunately :(

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Any PS3 users:

I once killed all the enemies in the forest after the helicopter crash, but their torches stayed floating in mid-air (complete with glaring beams), and another time Lara herself just vanished, leaving her radio hovering.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Payndz posted:

I once killed all the enemies in the forest after the helicopter crash, but their torches stayed floating in mid-air (complete with glaring beams), and another time Lara herself just vanished, leaving her radio hovering.

The floating flashlight thing happened to me too, on the PC. It was really bizarre.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I had a weird glitch in the caverns where the area I was walking into went blinding white, and turned Lara into a silhouette. I kept walking into it as survival instincts was telling me to go that way, and the silhouette got smaller and smaller and then vanished. It looked so much like an alien abduction, I was crushed when I figured out it was a bug.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Cellophane S posted:

This part was fun to play! I felt like a predator in the shadows. I also did it EXACTLY like how you describe.

What a great game :) Seconding request for Tomb DLC.
I just ghosted all of the scavengers with the bow, taking care to wait until they weren't talking to their buddies & out of visual range, and then killed the last 3 at the cave in quick succession with the bow while hiding in the shadows below the cave. If you do that, once you get in the cave the wolves are still in their cages and you can shoot them with the pistol or ignore them.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

notZaar posted:

There's also a part much earlier on where you pass an trapped guard begging for death, and if you ignore him he yells to his buddies ahead to warn them. A nice bit of "moral choice" without some arbitrary binary system attached to it.
That i did not know. I just killed everyone because they didn't deserve to live.

Also I found it hilarious that even when you take down one of two enemy standing together with pickaxe from behind, the other one doesn't even flinch. Double sneak kill.

grumperfish posted:

I just ghosted all of the scavengers with the bow, taking care to wait until they weren't talking to their buddies & out of visual range, and then killed the last 3 at the cave in quick succession with the bow while hiding in the shadows below the cave. If you do that, once you get in the cave the wolves are still in their cages and you can shoot them with the pistol or ignore them.
I just shot all of them for xp, plus they were being annoying making so much noise.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I kind of wish there was an option to replay certain parts. The forest at night area with all the tree platforms that a few goons mentioned where you can be a stealthy stalker was also one of my favorite bits. Also yeah, hoping for more tombs via DLC.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

teagone posted:

I kind of wish there was an option to replay certain parts. The forest at night area with all the tree platforms that a few goons mentioned where you can be a stealthy stalker was also one of my favorite bits. Also yeah, hoping for more tombs via DLC.

This is also one of my only complaints, too. Because of the auto-save function, I'd have to go all the way back and play through the game again to do sequences I really liked. As someone who has become screenshot happy, it sucks to go through an awesome moment and not get the shot you wanted. Or to show off those scenes to friends who are interested in the game.

I'm hoping they get the whole "Download Extra videos" option up on Steam soon, too. I think it only includes, like, trailers and behind the scenes stuff but a way to go back an watch some of the cutscenes you've been through already would be nice in case you missed some tidbit of plot information or something and wanted to go over it again.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

teagone posted:

gently caress, I'd love an option to play through some of the set pieces again, like the rapids descent.

DLC for this game should be good, but I'm definitely more eager to see what's next for the character at this point. A little more hardened, maybe a return to globetrotting.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My dream for a Tomb Raider II game would be sort of similar to Mass Effect 2's structure. You start out with 4-5 mysteries/digs you can do in whatever order from some hub (a ship or some other neat hub) and they gradually hint to an overarching enemy/mystery and sort of becomes more linear from there once you're on the track of the main plot.

Although I did love the pacing of this game and how it mostly felt like a super frantic adventure that didn't really stop at any point, it would be nice to have some DLC or something in the future that you can sort of do at your own pace.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Good game, good end, let's hope for a longer sequel with no multiplayer.

It's not terrible but...eh.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 12, 2013

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
I think the multiplayer is pretty fun. This will probably be one of the few games I max out the achievements for. The hardest achievement in the game is reaching level 60.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Loofa08 posted:

I think the multiplayer is pretty fun. This will probably be one of the few games I max out the achievements for. The hardest achievement in the game is reaching level 60.

Hehe, no, the hardest one is for buying every character (You have to get to 60 three times).

gently caress that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, this game, I would totally get every achivement for if so many of them weren't tied to multiplayer. Gaaaahd.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Attention Horse posted:

I already can't wait for the inevitable sequel taking place on Roanoke Island.

Which would be disappointing since it's currently inhabited and not that interesting. They did film an episode of Matlock there though. Maybe Lara can dig up Andy Griffith's shallow grave in his backyard.:v:

Also, the developers really missed out on a prime marketing opportunity not naming the game Escape From Rape Island.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

watt par posted:

Also, the developers really missed out on a prime marketing opportunity not naming the game Escape From Rape Island.

I hope you've got a good agent, because you should be taking this kind of fresh humor out on the road! :razz:

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

Mug posted:

Hehe, no, the hardest one is for buying every character (You have to get to 60 three times).

gently caress that.

Oh. :negative:

sc0ttmst
Nov 23, 2010

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Any PS3 users:

One time half of Shantytown wouldn't load for me. Resetting the game and even turning off my PS3 didn't fix it. Thankfully it corrected itself while I was off exploring another area. Weird stuff, seemed like a one-time thing.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
This game is fun, it is basically a better Uncharted with a girl protagonist. Obviously a bit of a minus in its favor, but the gameplay and RPG elements make up for it. A++

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
So yeah, I'm stuck like five minutes in when she's scrambling up the tunnel and you mash left/right, then the rocks fall and you have to "move left" or "move right" as it commands, but pressing/holding/mashing those buttons just makes her twitch a little and not move. wut?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Duck and burger posted:

So yeah, I'm stuck like five minutes in when she's scrambling up the tunnel and you mash left/right, then the rocks fall and you have to "move left" or "move right" as it commands, but pressing/holding/mashing those buttons just makes her twitch a little and not move. wut?

It isn't hold down left or right. You need to mash left and right as fast as you can.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It isn't hold down left or right. You need to mash left and right as fast as you can.

Oh dang. I had to mash them really fast indeed. Thanks.

This is my first Tomb Raider since what, 1997? Also I just upgraded my Radeon HD from like 4670 to 7850. Wowzers. Very nice. Are there any undocumented key bindings? Like system-related stuff?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

After rewatching the cutscene the only detail we get is a big hand with dark skin, wearing ring bracelets:

The only known character matching this is Jonah Maiava:

As far as we're concerned between Lara being taken out of the water and her running some time could have passed. In a state of shock she also might have not noticed him and just run for the light. Jonah might have survived because he actually stayed where he was instead of jumping. There are dozens of possible explainations, maybe it was even some random survivor who didn't make it later as we only really get to see his/her wrist.

Also Jonah's hands are huge. That one part where he touches Lara on the arm reassuringly made me to notice how goddamn huge his hands are. Or how thin her arms are?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I want a mod that replaces Lara's character model with Jonah's, but leaves in all the girly screaming.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been stuck in this room with a bird cage and guts everywhere for like 15 minutes what the gently caress am I missing? I'm just supposed to swing the cage towards where I need to jump and get on right? I have done it like 30 times and I can never get enough momentum on the cage to jump up the wall.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 12, 2013

DocGator
May 6, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I've been stuck in this room with a bird cage and guts everywhere for like 15 minutes what the gently caress am I missing? I'm just supposed to swing the cage towards where I need to jump and get on right? I have done it like 30 times and I can never get enough momentum on the cage to jump up the wall.

If you're talking about where I think you're talking about, there is an upper level of the room to swing the cage from for much more momentum.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, there's a couple more steps involved than just swinging the cage and jumping up the wall on the other side.

Right principle, wrong implementation.

I think you need to close the gate below the cage, lower it, raise it, burn something and then you can swing it from the upper level after climbing up.

Though I'm sure I'm mixing together two puzzles here.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

NESguerilla posted:

Try it from the upper level.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Speedball posted:

Yeah, this game, I would totally get every achivement for if so many of them weren't tied to multiplayer. Gaaaahd.

Yup. I really hate multiplayer achievements as they're often incredibly tedious grind fests. :(

Also, if it's not :filez: or anything, could somebody rip the little jingle that plays when you find the entrance to a tomb? I really like it, kinda want to put it on my phone for something :shobon:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I 100% cleared the entire island last night, and have 100% fully upgraded/max level weapons, all with full ammo. I now have nothing to kill anymore and I'm literally frothing at the mouth for more content right now, haha. There were some portions of the map that I went back to finish that had a few enemies lingering, but not enough to make an exciting fight though.

That said, since I really enjoyed this game, are there any others out there similar to it that you goons think I might enjoy? I actually never played any of the previous Tomb Raider games except for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (which was awesome; CD is 2 for 2 making Lara Croft games in my book). Will this one have spoiled me because I played it first, or are any of the other TR games worth playing at this point?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The previous games in the series are completely different from this one. You spend most of your time in giant uninhabited puzzle rooms, and the infrequent combat basically involves locking onto a critter and doing flip jumps around it while you fill it full of lead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Your best bet might actually be Far Cry 3. Though Jason trades 'the ability to grab ledges' for 'the ability to carry an LMG'.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

notZaar posted:

The previous games in the series are completely different from this one. You spend most of your time in giant uninhabited puzzle rooms, and the infrequent combat basically involves locking onto a critter and doing flip jumps around it while you fill it full of lead.

Why did you have to go and mention the old TR's? Let me put my rose-tinted glasses on.

The previous games in the series had atmosphere and personality, this is an Uncharted ripoff that sells the "cute girl getting all survivaly and tough through hardships" cliché as if they invented it. Puzzle rooms were often majestic, intimidating and very hard to get out of (I'm old, I like videogames where there's a chance I'll fail). You could actually get lost in the old TRs.

Combat was pretty hard at times but not because it was good: it was mediocre at best and definitely not the core of the experience. I know it's difficult to believe, but back then people liked complicated poo poo that wasn't easy to solve!

EDIT: it may not be clear from my post, but this Tomb Raider is still a great game for the current generation, it's just a bit dumb like most AAA mainstream modern games.

Paino fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 12, 2013

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
To me this is the best Resident Evil 4 since Resident Evil 4!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I like that in the tombs I've been in so far, puzzles try to make some more real world sense than the videogamey ones in previous games, where they were more like "this door must be unlocked by pushing two giant stone blocks (which one person can easily push somehow) onto two giant pressure plates." I don't know if the tombs were "dumbed down" as much as they were just trying to NOT fall back on using the old videogamey design stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Roman posted:

I like that in the tombs I've been in so far, puzzles try to make some more real world sense than the videogamey ones in previous games, where they were more like "this door must be unlocked by pushing two giant stone blocks (which one person can easily push somehow) onto two giant pressure plates." I don't know if the tombs were "dumbed down" as much as they were just trying to NOT fall back on using the old videogamey design stuff.

I honestly like the changes, too. I didn't know much about Crystal Dynamics until this game, but looking at their past stuff like the Soul Reaver franchise or the newer "traditional" Tomb Raider games, I can only assume they made the very conscious effort not to make it as puzzle-oriented. It was really the only option to turn this into a AAA title and give Lara the cinematic cred she deserves as such a well-known character. The old puzzle games were essentially like trying to make Indiana Jones, but without Belloq or the Nazis. Which was fine at the time when 3d puzzle-solvers were still a new concept but not so much now.

Plus, I think people tend to gloss over the fact that each zone in the game is essentially an outdoor tomb if you're trying to 100% the game. But because the puzzles and exploration aren't in a giant cave, and there's no big glowing box at the end, that aspect of level design tends to get glossed over quite a bit.

I, like the rest of the thread, would love to see some more tomb DLC that lets CD flex their puzzle chops like they are known for, but I can definitely appreciate and love the direction they've gone for the most part. I genuinely want to see Lara's next adventure and all the trouble it's going to bring.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 12, 2013

• Locked thread