Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Ashex posted:

Commercial NAS units are pretty limited on resources. They're designed to handle a very specific set of tasks, sometimes you'll find NAS units designed to run some apps on top of it (Synology) but nothing that requires even moderate CPU.

Personally, if you can spare the cash I recommend rolling your own. It's pretty easy/cheap to build a Mini-ITX file server with redundant storage. Use linux if you can, otherwise Windows Home Server/Server 2012 Essentials will work just fine.

Aside from lower power consumption , is it worth it to go the NAS route?
Part of me thinks I could just run the software on a Desktop PC that could double as a Media Center or even a light gaming PC. Downside I suppose it would be always on, consuming power, if it is to run all the software. Plus side is that i would get the resources I need, and then some.
Is this common? Or would just building the computer as a NAS be better? (I like the idea of using it as a backup for my Mac).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

I've used tweaknews.eu for a couple of months now as a backup server and it has worked out really nice.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to give them a go.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Kalix posted:

Aside from lower power consumption , is it worth it to go the NAS route?
Part of me thinks I could just run the software on a Desktop PC that could double as a Media Center or even a light gaming PC. Downside I suppose it would be always on, consuming power, if it is to run all the software. Plus side is that i would get the resources I need, and then some.
Is this common? Or would just building the computer as a NAS be better? (I like the idea of using it as a backup for my Mac).

It really depends on your needs. My file server consumes about 60W at peak and it has 6 hard drives in it. I don't know which mac you have but if it's a Mini it's pretty comparable. I use my file server for streaming music, torrents, usenet, and as a NFS/Samba server. It would also be an htpc if I could get the video/hdmi audio setup correctly (I should probably try doing it again as it's been a couple years).

When you first setup the file server it's probably going to have maybe one or two uses, but over time you'll find more things to stick on it. I setup my own dropbox with seafile at one point and it worked out pretty well for me.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My brother bought a Synology NAS and put SAB on it, it fuckin sucked. I remember it took a legit 25 hours to extract some ~20gig download. Just build your own with a low spec i3 or something.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

You don't even need an i3 really, I run all my streaming/downloading stuff on a dual-core Atom based mini PC. May take 20 minutes to unpack that huge 20 gig download, but I'm not usually in that much of a rush.

FE: I also have everything stored on a Synology, I wouldn't want to run anything CPU intensive. It's awesome for file management and little services, but it's certainly not fast.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ashex posted:

Commercial NAS units are pretty limited on resources. They're designed to handle a very specific set of tasks, sometimes you'll find NAS units designed to run some apps on top of it (Synology) but nothing that requires even moderate CPU.

Personally, if you can spare the cash I recommend rolling your own. It's pretty easy/cheap to build a Mini-ITX file server with redundant storage. Use linux if you can, otherwise Windows Home Server/Server 2012 Essentials will work just fine.

Check out an HP Microserver: Cheap, low power chips, has at least 4 hdd bays, can run linux or windows.

It's like halfway between a NAS and a PC, and is fantastic. I run linux, but a NAS specific software build would make it indistinguishable from a NAS if that's what you want.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

PirateDentist posted:

You don't even need an i3 really, I run all my streaming/downloading stuff on a dual-core Atom based mini PC. May take 20 minutes to unpack that huge 20 gig download, but I'm not usually in that much of a rush.

FE: I also have everything stored on a Synology, I wouldn't want to run anything CPU intensive. It's awesome for file management and little services, but it's certainly not fast.

Those 20 minutes might be because of your HDD. When I extracted 10-20gig stuff on my i5 it was still about 10-20 minutes on my 7 year old 7200 RPM, upgrading to an SSD put it down to under 1 minute for 10GB.

The benefit of using something like an i3 is you can double it as a HTPC without the need for a graphics card.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Disks are definitely a factor.
I'm running SABnzbd, Sickbeard and Couchpotato, together with Plex Media Server, Serviio and SubSonic on my QNAP single core 1.8Ghz Atom.
I just checked SABnzbds log and unpacking a 13.5 GB file took 4 minutes.

The reason for that speed is probably the RAID 5 disks and granted, I didn't run any of the media servers at the same time.
Video transcoding is not possible on this CPU but that's about it.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Well I am definitely sold on a server vs a NAS. I'll probably build something using the fractal design node case or simply pick up the HP micro server wooger posted.
Is there an OS preference when running SABnzbd, sickbesrd, and even a plex media server? While also performing backup duties (time machine)
My familiarity with Linux and VMs is not high,
From what I understand one solution would be to Have the ability to run different virtual machines on the server , So you can run different OS.

Edit: Seems like good choices are Unraid or straight up Ubuntu server.

Kalix fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 9, 2013

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Yea definitely build your own vs getting a NAS.
I made the mistake of getting a ReadyNAS and after a year of using that built my own file server.
This was several years ago now, so they may have improved but the ReadyNAS was slow to boot, slow to transfer, and couldnt run applications such as sabnzbd or sickbeard.

For cheaper, I built a file server that far exceeds the capabilities of the ReadyNAS.
If I had spent the money on the file server initially I could have gotten way more hard drive space.
Not that I need it though. Most things I download are discarded. Only occasionally do I want to save something.

Also, a word of caution.
You shouldn't build a RAID setup and expect it to be a viable long term archive solution.
If you really do need to have something backed up and you can't stand the thought of losing it, then you should look for better backup strategies.

I use ZFS with dual redundancy myself, but as good as ZFS is, I don't even trust it to archive my important files and keep it safe long term. For that I use online services, which probably use ZFS themselves. But they can afford to go through the costs of maintaining a truly reliable archive solution.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 9, 2013

kes
Jan 4, 2006
Get an Atom/APU, you can pick up a SATA controller card from Monoprice for like $10 and have a low-power, low-heat, fanless server with 9 drives for much cheaper per drive than any dedicated NAS box out there.

The reason you need a proper CPU (inasmuch as an APU is a "proper" CPU) is not for extracting, it's for PAR repairing and SSL if you roll with that, which something like an AMD e-350 can definitely handle. Plus it can double as your HTPC if you want.

I tried FreeNAS and the drivers were unstable and CIFS performance was crap. When I finally tracked down my weekly-intermittent kernel panics to the drivers and switched over to Windows Server, "stable" ntfs-3g corrupted 5% of my files. Windows Server, on the other hand, has been great. A mature Linux distro would probably work fine too, just stay away from FreeNAS.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

kes posted:

The reason you need a proper CPU (inasmuch as an APU is a "proper" CPU) is not for extracting, it's for PAR repairing and SSL if you roll with that, which something like an AMD e-350 can definitely handle. Plus it can double as your HTPC if you want.

I run my file server on an e-350 using btrfs and it works wonderfully with load rarely going over 2.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Ask me about transforming into a semi and trucking over defenses.
Is it possible that my ISP is throttling, or outright blocking usenet access? I downloaded ... a lot today, and now i can't even pull down a ~600MB file.

Do I need a VPN service, or is there some pro settings I should be using for SABnzbd? I'm alarmed that I can surf no problem, but my usenet access is stifled.

edit: and while I'm asking, I just got a supernews account today for unlimited access, and that seemed to work great. I set my blocknews server as a backup in the SABnzbd > Config > Servers settings. I don't understand the semantics of a server being enabled all the time vs. a backup server. Is SABnzbd smart enough to try another server if there is an incomplete download on your primary server(s)?

Trash Heap fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 10, 2013

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
Ugh, Comcast just increased Blast! speeds to 50mb/10mb and my unraid server isn't powerful enough to sustain 4+MB/s download speeds it :(

Love 50mb internet and cable for $49.99/mo

MasterColin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 10, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Did anyone else's NZB.su account stop working? I've tried logging in with all my possible username password combos and none work. Forget password option doesn't work either. I assume they just scrubbed some non-premium accounts. I use it pretty regularly though so I can't imagine it was due to do inactivity. I used a real email address for it too.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

hayden. posted:

I assume they just scrubbed some non-premium accounts.
That's exactly what happened, no doubt.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

MasterColin posted:

Ugh, Comcast just increased Blast! speeds to 50mb/10mb and my unraid server isn't powerful enough to sustain 4+MB/s download speeds it :(

Love 50mb internet and cable for $49.99/mo

Where do you live? I have comcast and its never topped out 1.5 MB/s

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Where do you live? I have comcast and its never topped out 1.5 MB/s

I'm also on the Blast plan, live in Pittsburgh. I get a wide range of speeds, it's drat fast now at a way off peak hour, can be lucky to get mid 20's sometimes in the evening. I'd love to know how the hell he's paying $50 though, I've always had to pay $70 a month for just Internet with no tv with of course no reasonable alternatives for providers.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Trash Heap posted:

Is it possible that my ISP is throttling, or outright blocking usenet access? I downloaded ... a lot today, and now i can't even pull down a ~600MB file.

Do I need a VPN service, or is there some pro settings I should be using for SABnzbd? I'm alarmed that I can surf no problem, but my usenet access is stifled.

edit: and while I'm asking, I just got a supernews account today for unlimited access, and that seemed to work great. I set my blocknews server as a backup in the SABnzbd > Config > Servers settings. I don't understand the semantics of a server being enabled all the time vs. a backup server. Is SABnzbd smart enough to try another server if there is an incomplete download on your primary server(s)?

A server has to be enabled for it to be used, even as a backup. It will check all the Enabled but non-backup servers first, then the backup ones. There is no way to choose which backup is used first. They're working on that feature but it will probably take a long time.

If you can download full speed from other places then they could be throttling that specifically. You can try using SSL ports 563 and 443 or non-SSL port 80, somes USPs allow that.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

Thauros posted:

Question

I'm in Chicago and they gave me Blast for 1yr at $49 with the Economy+ Tv package with ondemand and stuff. Then like $70 for $6mo after that.

I got the deal from the return center. Noone on the phone. I was at the return center canceling cable cause they jacked me up to $140 with pro internet so I dropped it and got Blast. While I was returning the hardware, they were like "You could be saving $20/mo over just having the Blast internet, 'You Always save when you bundle'" Me: "Why the gently caress did I have to drive 15min to hear this?"

Sorry for the derail guys.

content
Anyone know an easy way to share your Iso's with someone else? My brother likes to download some of the kid friendly distros I get for his kids but the only way I know currently is via drop box which is very slow (copy to main computer, copy to DB, upload to DB,email link, then he can download).

I've given him SSH access (so he could use WinSCP) but when he downloaded something, it crippled my internet cause he capped my up speed. I almost need an easy way to cap my external upspeed or something.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Set up an FTP server, give him account and then limit his download speed. You could probably do that with most FTP programs. Or just put that poo poo on a USB Flash drive and swap it back and forth.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
If your brother's not a jerk, he could set the download speed limit in WinSCP.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

Soup in a Bag posted:

If your brother's not a jerk, he could set the download speed limit in WinSCP.

Nice, He had no idea how or what Winscp is so I'll figure out how to do that and set it up. Flashdrive wouldn't work due to 2hr distance.

I tried generally limiting upspeed in the past but that also limited in network transfers which was a pain in the rear end.

e. Once connected, under options you can set transfer speed. :downs:

MasterColin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 10, 2013

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Kalix posted:

In terms of running software on a NAS vs a PC.

So is it best to then run SABNZBD on your PC? Or can a solid NAS (I'm thinking of getting a Synology) run SABNZBD, Sickbeard, and CP?

Ashex posted:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

My brother bought a Synology NAS and put SAB on it, it fuckin sucked. I remember it took a legit 25 hours to extract some ~20gig download. Just build your own with a low spec i3 or something.

I have a Synology DS1812+ (8-bay) and run all three on the NAS without any problems whatsoever. The RAM hovers around 40-50% and the CPU never really goes above 30% even when adding a few new shows to Sickbeard. I've never had the problem of it taking more than maybe 10-20 minutes (like normal for platter hard drives) to extract a 1080p film or something that big.

I can totally understand the logic of building your own and getting more power, but I personally have been surprised by the hardware in the Synology-- but I think it is only because I got one of the bigger, 8-bay units. I think if you want this power and get a smaller unit, you'll probably be disappointed and that's why there's a lot of negative feedback floating around, but I haven't personally tried any of the other units.

kes
Jan 4, 2006

dox posted:

I have a Synology DS1812+ (8-bay) and run all three on the NAS without any problems whatsoever. The RAM hovers around 40-50% and the CPU never really goes above 30% even when adding a few new shows to Sickbeard. I've never had the problem of it taking more than maybe 10-20 minutes (like normal for platter hard drives) to extract a 1080p film or something that big.

I can totally understand the logic of building your own and getting more power, but I personally have been surprised by the hardware in the Synology-- but I think it is only because I got one of the bigger, 8-bay units. I think if you want this power and get a smaller unit, you'll probably be disappointed and that's why there's a lot of negative feedback floating around, but I haven't personally tried any of the other units.

Just curious, did you get that thing significantly discounted or something? They're $1100 on Newegg. Does it have major features that something like Windows Server is missing? You could buy an $800 Windows Server 2012 license and a $200 low-power server and still come out cheaper.

The expensive Synologies have Atoms rather than ARM chips so that explains the difference.

K.O.
Mar 19, 2007

Ashex posted:

For rolling out your own: http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180tb-of-good-vibrations-storage-pod-3-0/
It's one of the best bang for your buck storage solutions.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
I ended up going with the HP Proliant N40L -- Newegg had a 50 dollar rebate , plus 35 bucks off If I signed up for V.me or whatever.

Now I'll just have to wait for some hard drive deals, and then I can set this sucker up.

Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully this will all be worth it when I get everything working.

boingthump
Oct 27, 2005

and i descend from grace

Does anyone have an advice on setting up your own newznab server on FreeNas?

I'm in the process of building a n40l server. It looks like it's doable but I haven't found any good reports of success.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

boingthump posted:

I'm in the process of building a n40l server. It looks like it's doable but I haven't found any good reports of success.

What's the problem? How are you defining "success" here?

I mean, people use the N40L to make a NAS all the time. You can cram something like seven hard drives in there. We use the N40L in production environments here at work and I'm using a couple of N54Ls right now.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Is the n54l worth it over the n40? (Hoping I made the right call..)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I honestly don't know yet. I have noticed some weird undocumented stuff -- it's only supposed to run with 4 GB of RAM, but I'm running it with 8 no problem, and tried successfully with 16?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I run 8GB ECC in my N36L. Some sticks work, others don't. Do some research and you should be ok.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have a QNAP NAS with Sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato and everything works fine and is smooth. If you don't mind configuring stuff forever I guess building your own NAS is a good idea, I however have way too many other stuff to manage/configure so I went the easy (and more expensive) route of buying a complete package :v:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Le0 posted:

If you don't mind configuring stuff forever I guess building your own NAS is a good idea

:what: That's disingenous, there's no configuration after the initial setup.

On Ubuntu:
sabnzbd+ from the PPA
sickbeard from git (it updates itself online)
couchpotato ditto

webmin and you don't even have to SSH, and you can even control mdadm.

That setup has lived through 2 motherboard failures (one because I dropped it one because the PSU gave up the magic smoke) with minimal re-configuration (mostly wiping ubuntu's udev automatic rules for the NIC), I am not sure you could do that with any other cheapo NAS.

e: Mind you the configuration can get complicated if you go with a fancy filesystem like btrfs and zfs, but again, it's a one time thing.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 11, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm getting lots and lots of failed downloads. I have an unlimited account from Astra, and two block accounts (tweaknews and blocknews) set up as backups. Anybody else in a similar situation? I'm wondering if should go back to supernews and see if anything changes.

The blocknews account hasn't even been touched. It's one of those "not enough repair files" errors where the filenames are misnamed. QuickPAR fixes the names but it still says the file is corrupt when I try to extract it.

deimos posted:

:what: That's disingenous, there's no configuration after the initial setup.

On the Windows side, I barely touch my WHS2011 box. It was some work setting it up initially, but now everything runs find and dandy with no intervention from me.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I was trying to grab something and it was incomplete, 17 days old, on my new monthly and block account so I thought I'd give them all a try using that one image of resellers, for reference:

- Supernews (Giganews) monthly: 4KB/s, thousands of missing articles
- NewsgroupDirect block (Highwinds): 4KB/s, thousands of missing articles
- Usenet-News block (Readnews): 4KB/s, thousands of missing articles
- TweakNews free trial (Cambrium): I'm only getting about 800KB/s, but the missing article counter isn't going up so it's hard to tell. Free trial should have 20mbit.
- SSL-News block (XSNews): 4KB/s, thousands of missing articles
- HitNews free trial: ~6.9MB/s, some missing articles, the counter went up by 1 every minutes or so.

My max download speed is about 6.9MB/s.

I have an XS Usenet free account which goes up to 10days retention so it won't work, can't pay for a 2 day account because they don't use Paypal and the other resellers are all in Urdu. Can't try the other Cambrium reseller's free trial either because they send your verification code via SMS and I don't have a mobile phone.

Maybe this will help someone pick a subscription or block account. HitNews had most of the upload and maybe TweakNews had all or most of it, it's hard to tell with it being so slow. This could mean they either haven't received a takedown request, that they're slow on taking stuff down in general or maybe just this particular upload or that they have responded, but only removed a few articles. Who knows?

Maybe I'll try a HitNews monthly sub when this Supernews monthly runs out, I only activated a couple of days ago.

E: Left HitNews as main with TweakNews as backup for the last 3.7GB, repair failed with 256 blocks short. Turning them all on still got the same result.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 11, 2013

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I checked out hitnews because of your post but half of astrawebs retention while costing a third more is pretty brutal. I'll probably give tweaknews a try, download speeds are pretty much the only thing I wasn't satisfied with in my past year with astra.

EDIT: Okay nevermind, going to the server status page reveals hitnews actually offers 1056 days instead of the 850 it says on their signup page. You'd think they would put the bigger number on the signup page...

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 12, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Terabyte tuesday is back.
1.1TB for $38

http://newsgroupdirect.com/terabyte-tuesday

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

FCKGW posted:

1.1TB for $38

What are people's experiences with Highwinds in comparison to ReadNews? I only have about 40 GB left on my BlockNews block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

FCKGW posted:

1.1TB for $38

Thanks for the headsup, this should serve me as a backup server for a nice long while.