Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
My brother had 11 strikes in two of his six games tonight.

His scores in those games were 256 and 265 :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

How the hell did he shoot 256 with 11 strikes? Pick off 4 up the middle and then totally miss?

Fakeedit: Picked 4 up the middle then went for the 2 to try and make it.

Critical fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 11, 2013

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Close but no cigar. It was a gutter-eight.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yikes... I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be at myself if I got the front 11 and then gutter-8.

Greater Charleston City Tournament was this past weekend. We were set for the 9am slot on Sunday for the 4-man team. Was NOT pumped about getting up early, especially considering the time-change. Plus I couldn't sleep that night, so I got maybe 4 hours of sleep.

Welp, we ended up winning the handicap division v:shobon:v

We all had some pretty great games, shot pretty far over our averages. I'm sure the rest of the guys there think we're sandbaggers, but hey, that's what you get when you go from wood lanes to incredibly forgiving synthetic lanes. Went in with a 180 avg. and shot 192-204-234.

League tonight was 145-202-205. That first game started off fine, then I made a move too early near the end of the game and left the last 3 frames open.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
:woop: Viva la revolución a dos manos! :woop:

A question, for those of you who know current bowling ball brands and abilities better than I do:

I'd like to find a ball more powerful than the Storm Ice that I currently throw (which shouldn't be hard), but I want something that can go very long and not snap insanely hard. I put more than enough on the ball as-is, so I don't need it to do much work for me, but I'd like something I can really open up the lane with and as much as I love my lovely fourteen-pound plastic ball it's just not going to bring me the back-end I'd like.

Thoughts? I've actually been looking at Slingshots. I know they're entry-level, but I really don't need much of a ball.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 12, 2013

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

Yikes... I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be at myself if I got the front 11 and then gutter-8.

This is impossible to do haha. He meant his brother had a total of 11 strikes in each of his games. The opens came somewhere in the middle of his games.

Also toaster, do you have a good pro shop guy around at all? If you do, they are great for those types of questions and can really help you pick out a new ball just by watching you throw a couple of balls.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Also toaster, do you have a good pro shop guy around at all? If you do, they are great for those types of questions and can really help you pick out a new ball just by watching you throw a couple of balls.

That's the step I'll take when I finally remember to look into this stuff when I'm not at work :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is impossible to do haha. He meant his brother had a total of 11 strikes in each of his games. The opens came somewhere in the middle of his games.

:doh: oh yeah... my bad.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

:doh: oh yeah... my bad.

Haha, I figured you knew; was just funny to me reading that sentence.

Toaster Beef posted:

That's the step I'll take when I finally remember to look into this stuff when I'm not at work :)

We have the same problem, I do all my research at work too. But yea, you can also get balls drilled certain ways to react differently on the lane as well, and a (good) pro shop guy would be able to watch you throw a ball, the revs on it, and recommend something that would work for what you are trying to do.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But yea, you can also get balls drilled certain ways to react differently on the lane as well, and a (good) pro shop guy would be able to watch you throw a ball, the revs on it, and recommend something that would work for what you are trying to do.

Speaking of good pro-shop guys... we finally have one at the club. Dude definitely knows his poo poo.

The previous "go-to" guy around here for getting a ball drilled would just ask you what your average was and MAYBE if you were lucky he'd ask you what kind of reaction you want out of the ball, and then just drill it based on that info (and your finger/hand measurements of course). I've watched this new guy set up balls for other member lately and it's a good hour-long process. He watches them bowl, breaks out the tape/wax pen to find their PAP, does all of the calculations for what kind of reaction they want, etc.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 12, 2013

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
http://www.pba.com/Bowlers/Bowler/7697

We have this guy in Racine, WI. He has been here forever. He is friendly, fun to talk with, and doesn't care what your average is.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I'm an extremely new bowler (a few weeks, <100 avg) who just got a Slingshot drilled fingertip.

I bowled a few games today and randomly decided to try the two handed approach, to find that I feel much more comfortable with it than I ever did one handed. Across the three games I bowled two handed, though, I found that I was consistently over hooking the ball (hitting Brooklyn at best or a gutterball at worst).

I'd like to build some consistency, but I'm not sure what to do first. I'm aligning my feet as far right as I can (I'm left handed), and aiming for the second arrow from the left.

Should I be aiming to plant my slide foot to the far right side of the lane? And would it be a good idea to aim for a more central arrow? Or would it be better to try and lower my revs?

I have a bad habit of trying too many possible fixes without giving them enough time; if someone could point me to a few things to focus on, it would help a lot.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Try aiming for the center arrow. On a typical house shot most of the oil is in the middle of the lane so if you shoot for the center arrow and project the ball out to the left you should get more length and then a good amount of hook at the end.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm right handed and when I started 2 handing I was doing the same thing. You need to try to cut the revs a little bit and aim farther left. I throw from pretty much the left gutter and my ball is crossing through the arrows between the 2nd and 3rd from the center and that puts me in my pocket. You'll have to play around a little bit but you'll get it figured out. You might also want to play around with your speed as well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
That's one thing I've always wondered about two-handed approach... how easy it is to control speed. With one-handed, I'm just letting gravity do all of the work; if I let my arm just swing freely, it gives me my perfect delivery speed for most shots. If I need to speed up, I just increase my backswing. I'm afraid I'd be all over the place if I had to concentrate more on my speed.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Speed is pretty consistent really. You just kind of push the ball out. In general everything 2 hand feels more consistent. This is coming from someone who just finished their first 16 week league trying to learn how to throw a 1 handed hook and switched to 2 handed.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
225-300-232 last night. I still can't get the elusive 800. I bowled city tournament this past weekend and in doubles, I shot a 650, but my partner didn't do so well. He rolled a 770 last night with me, figures we were two days late with our big scores.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Congrats on the 300 bud.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

225-300-232 last night. I still can't get the elusive 800. I bowled city tournament this past weekend and in doubles, I shot a 650, but my partner didn't do so well. He rolled a 770 last night with me, figures we were two days late with our big scores.

Well done on the 300.

As for the 800, it will come and you'll hopefully never be expecting it. I blew at least a dozen possible 800s before I finally succeeded. The first one was the most surprising, too, since it happened while I was bowling league make-up on a Saturday afternoon after a youth tournament had finished. I was loving around with some used balls I had bought and re-drilled for comedy for a couple games before I bowled my league set. I was bullshitting with the house owner and a friend of mine that took over rack, deck, and return operations at the place from me earlier that year while I bowled them, too. I checked my printout when I was done to sign it and noticed I had shot 258-279-268 for an 805 and was amazed as I hadn't even thought about it while it was happening and they were smart enough to not say anything. My team was way out of contention with just a couple weeks to go, so my scores barely mattered anyway (hence the not really caring while doing it).

Then three weeks later I was bowling in a different league and threw 300-279-290 and every goddamn ball of the last 6 frames of the 3rd game made me a nervous wreck. Go figure.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
Broke out two handed tonight at league for my third game tonight because I absolutely could not get anything going the first two. I actually bowled my best game of the night but it was still only like 145. My teammate comfortably bowled his first 600 with 645 though so that was exciting and helped take my mind off my own games. My buddy is out with the flu and our sub was an older dude who seemed fairly nonplussed by my two handed antics. This is the future guy!! Deal with it!!

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Where is a good place to look for cheap used balls? Ebay?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Whale Cancer posted:

Where is a good place to look for cheap used balls? Ebay?

The pro shop at my house has a pretty large rack of used balls.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

mattfl posted:

The pro shop at my house has a pretty large rack of used balls.

Unfortunately I live in a small town with a single alley with an almost non existent pro shop. I sometimes miss living in a big city.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I got a killer deal and picked up a used ball, Seismic Solaris Blackout. Haven't got to try it out yet though, need to get it plugged and re drilled first. Anyone ever thrown one of these?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Read today's Kelly right drat now:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/values-in-the-gutter,31787

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I cringe whenever I see a birthday party of 10-yr olds using bumpers and ramps... How about help your kids develop some coordination and sense of achievement.

My good friends' 4-yr-old daughter bowls WITHOUT bumpers or a ramp. A 4 YEAR OLD!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I understand the bumpers because kids that don't bowl a lot wouldn't have much fun with all those gutters. But gently caress the ramps. The ramps are for handicapped people you loving dipshit parents.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

My wife's uncle who travels around going to tournaments and stuff gave me two balls today. I got an older Storm Virtual Gravity and a Storm Attitude Shift. I'm in love with the Virtual Gravity. Its a pound heavier than what I normally throw, it's 15#, and it slaughters the pins when it hits. It's very predictable on the lane and it seems to be pretty aggressive but smooth. The Shift brakes pretty hard down lane but it doesn't hook anywhere near as much as the VG. I'm going to use it as my spare ball I think. The old Slingshot is going in the closet for now. I've still got the Blackout on it's way so it will be fun to throw it around.

Now that I have an actual selection of equipment I need to buy a 2 ball bag. I think I'm going to with a tote as opposed to a roller. Does anyone have any suggestions on a 2 ball tote with enough room to carry my shoes in it?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The VG is probably one of the best (and most liked) balls Storm has ever released. Should definitely serve you well!

Took last week off due to not being able to grip a ball after installing a new floor for 4 days straight... This week went 189-203-173. Kinda pissed about the last game, made a dumb mistake on an easy leave in the 10th and left it open :\

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
145-185-182 last night. Two handing is really starting to pay off and it was a good night for me overall but I hosed up a clean game in the tenth frame again for the second time this season. Hurt more this time because the first time it was just dumb luck and last night I was hitting all my spares really well and then somehow let go of the ball too late or something and threw it straight down the middle at the ten pin. It's just as well I guess because spare shooting is nice but I can count on one hand the number of times I hit the pocket flush. I dunno why it's so much easier to make the ball go where I want it to when there's only one or two pins out there.

Super envious of your hookup Whale Cancer. Been thinking of getting a new ball but I dunno if I feel like parting with the cash at the moment. Need to get my friends to come practice with me so I can try throwing their balls. Do you have any good ideas about getting more power while two handing? I feel like I'm still throwing only a little harder than I was one handed. Pretty comfortable with my timing and stuff now but also a little inconsistent with my release. It doesn't help that the lanes are crazy dry where my league is and if I'm not careful I end up in the left gutter pretty easily. I'm standing with my right foor over the 35 board and putting the ball out between the 3rd and 4th arrows to decent results depending on how consistent my release is.

Another thing I have been doing is watching old bowling videos on YouTube. Pete Weber is and apparently always has been hilarious.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Weber is hilarious. As a matter of fact the other day my wife and I were bowling and I bowled a turkey and turned around and did the Weber crotch chop. I typically celebrate my strikes and turkeys with hockey style celebrations though.

So far what I've discovered with 2 hand bowling is when bringing the ball back I bring it back just behind my body, close to my body, pretty much as far as my left arm will stretch behind me after it comes across my torso. When bringing the ball forward my swing arc is as close to the a single handed arc as I can get. When I first started doing this I was pushing the ball more than rolling it out. I was also trying too hard to put too many revs on the ball. When I roll it feels like I'm trying to roll a straight ball and my hand comes through. I went from starting at the left gutter and still hitting brooklyn quite a bit with a Brunswick Slingshot which is an entry level reactive ball. Now I am starting around the 28 board and throwing between the 15-20 boards.

I'm throwing somewhere between 16-17 mph but my ball is smashing the damned pins.

As far as ball suggestion I'm not really sure. I've thrown my slingshot, I've thrown the Storm Attitude Shift and the Virtual Gravity now and the VG is definitely the best one for me. The general consensus is don't go with a pearl ball and don't go with anything super aggressive. I've been doing this for about a month now and I've figured a lot of stuff out and it feels a lot better than 1 hand bowling ever did.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I am still throwing my Columbia Scout and I get absurd movement on it at league but like I said the lanes are almost always just scorched. I really think if I could throw it harder it'd help a lot but I am apparently a 13mph weakling. I'm not exactly in bad shape I just can't figure out how to really hurl the ball. I don't think my backswing is as long as you're describing but I was kind of under the impression two handed was much less about backswing than about your legs and torso. I am probably doing the extra revs effort thing though.

My buddy has a Slingshot and got else a month or two ago, I wanna say a DV8 Hellraiser. My other friend has a Storm Tropical Breeze. Should really get my hands on them at some point and see what happens..

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Had 7 opens in my first 13 frames last night for my low game of the year. Went 136 - 236 - 226 :coal:

Final position round is next week and we've got a 15 point lead on 2nd place. We need 6/27 points to force a tie and anything more than that clinches the league. Obviously we're hoping to win 6 or 7 in the first game so we can just get stupid drunk for the last two.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Schach posted:

I am still throwing my Columbia Scout and I get absurd movement on it at league but like I said the lanes are almost always just scorched. I really think if I could throw it harder it'd help a lot but I am apparently a 13mph weakling. I'm not exactly in bad shape I just can't figure out how to really hurl the ball. I don't think my backswing is as long as you're describing but I was kind of under the impression two handed was much less about backswing than about your legs and torso. I am probably doing the extra revs effort thing though.

My buddy has a Slingshot and got else a month or two ago, I wanna say a DV8 Hellraiser. My other friend has a Storm Tropical Breeze. Should really get my hands on them at some point and see what happens..

Give all of those a try. One of the good things about 2 handing is the drilling doesn't seem as important. I can use someones ball that has much bigger finger holes and still throw it. It's not so much a backswing, it's more like cocking a gun or a slingshot to fire.

You do want to torque your upper body and square your shoulders when you release. I think this is where most of the power comes from. A couple people who have watched me throw think it's too much effort. I do feel like I've got in a little bit of a workout after a couple games now compared to 1 handing.

I'm still pretty new to this and still experimenting so it's a bit hard to put into words what I'm doing or even if what I'm doing is effective. There is only one other 2 hander where I bowl and our styles are different.

Watch this, the backswing here is exactly what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDvK6brkXGA

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Ya that video and another Belmonte one are how I figured out my timing with the skip step and stuff. I guess I'm just a weakling. I do have some trouble trying to keep my arm straight and not bend my elbow on release. I did sort out my problem with lofting the ball though. The things that really helped me with balance and timing were bending way forward and realising I need that super long last step to accommodate everything else.

Also congratulations on your year Devo drunk bowling is a good kind of bowling and one that I've been neglecting lately.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I haven't tried the skip step I need to though.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Update: I hate this loving sport with a fiery passion.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Going to need more details than that.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Well:

Bowling on balls hard sport shots and can't score. Which translates to trying to be too perfect on a house shot where I can't score. My driller sucks and all my balls feel different so I have to alter my release a tiny bit when I do a ball change so it's really hard to be consistent. Bowled on WTBA Sydney last week which is a whopping 33' long and bone dry in the middle of the lane so my plastic spare ball was hooking about 7 boards and started with a 119. Had to alter my delivery to make spares which hosed up my spare shooting on all other patterns. Bowled like flaming dogshit in the city tournament and barely made my money back on piss easy conditions.

Kinda want to throw my equipment in a closet and take a break but I already made a commitment to a sport summer league after the main league is over.

Fortunately I'm coming into extra money soon so I'm making a drive to one of the top pro shops in the country and getting all new equipment and having my grip changed.

Basically I have no desire to bowl or compete until then because my equipment issues force me to be perfect with like 5 different releases and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I just bowl beer leagues with generic layouts. I doubt my Driller even knows what pap is.

• Locked thread