Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man I thought I was totally on to something when I started looking at this Tanaka picture

I thought that bottom purple/pink was a bloodstain on his shirt, but looking back at older updates it's always been there :( Still wondering what the hell it is though, it doesn't look like part of his scarf, just a motif I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Freaksaus posted:

Man I thought I was totally on to something when I started looking at this Tanaka picture

I thought that bottom purple/pink was a bloodstain on his shirt, but looking back at older updates it's always been there :( Still wondering what the hell it is though, it doesn't look like part of his scarf, just a motif I guess?

It's part of his T-shirt design. (A cross, I believe.) It's clearer in some of the other sprites.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Vyxzuw posted:

Deserve to die because he's perverted? No.
Deserve to die because he's essentially extorting a girl that is involved with a murder to have sex with him if she wants his help (like she has a choice.) It's essentially saying: Have sex with me or Junko will probably kill you (or you'll be framed for murder.)

Deserves to die because he's trying to be Hanamura but doesn't pop a huge nosebleed whenever he says something disgusting. Hanamura is hilarious.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I noticed Kamishiro's name included the japanese word for "god" (Kami) and this being the series with a character named Corpse Warblade I decided to try and translate it. According to Google Translate his name is "Likelihood Godcastle" which is awesome and stupid and totally what I'm going to call him from now on. :colbert:

神代優兎 being his actual name, I can't think of a fitting translation for the shiro part in his surname. "God Substitution" or "God Price" sound bad.

However, the first name Elegant Rabbit is easier.

edit: Can we not start that discussion again. You people with your death fantasies are creeping me out.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I noticed Kamishiro's name included the japanese word for "god" (Kami) and this being the series with a character named Corpse Warblade I decided to try and translate it. According to Google Translate his name is "Likelihood Godcastle" which is awesome and stupid and totally what I'm going to call him from now on. :colbert:

tiistai posted:

神代優兎 being his actual name, I can't think of a fitting translation for the shiro part in his surname. "God Substitution" or "God Price" sound bad.

However, the first name Elegant Rabbit is easier.

edit: Can we not start that discussion again. You people with your death fantasies are creeping me out.
It's written differently, but "Kamishiro" can also be translated as "Paper white". Since he's as memorable as a blank sheet of paper, I'm not sure whether it's intentional or not.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

SingerOfW posted:

It's written differently, but "Kamishiro" can also be translated as "Paper white". Since he's as memorable as a blank sheet of paper, I'm not sure whether it's intentional or not.

Seeing as Dangan Ronpa is from Japan, it probably is, with their love of meaningful names in fiction and all.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Nice of the book to slip this one by the goalie:

orenronen posted:

“To tell you the truth, I’ve only heard rumors about the incident in question, and I’m still investigating whether it really happened or not. Right now, it’s at the same level as the school’s seven supernatural mysteries... Except that someone actually decided to name it ‘The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History’.”

The gently caress's going on with this joint?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nice of the book to slip this one by the goalie:

It's a anime/manga thing(or maybe it's a real japan thing, I don't know), every school or small town must have 7 mysteries or rumours in then. So unless it gets mentioned more often I guess it's just a reference to that cliché.

Some people might know this plot-point from Kingdom Hearts 2 and Twilight Town seven wonders(I think that's what's called).

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 12, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

C. Everett Koop posted:

Schools having "supernatural mysteries" or other such urban legends about them is not an entirely uncommon thing in Japan, I believe. In short, it's a joke.

edit: slowpoke.jpg

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Edit: This is the second I have done this, dammit, quote and edit aren't the same thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It might just be an anime high school cliché. I remember a similar thing in Air Gear, of all things. (don't read Air Gear, it's loving awful).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
E: Posting from a phone is inadvisable. You get beaten and the posting screws up

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Mysteries in general come in groups of seven, and in Japan it's very popular for high schools to have a set of seven urban legends passed around among students. The prototypical ones are things like a disappearing classroom, the sound of a piano playing at night when no one is in the music room, or the voice of a girl crying in the toilet when there's no one there. There's a ton of popular culture, ranging from horror flicks to video games, revolving around this.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

orenronen posted:

Mysteries in general come in groups of seven, and in Japan it's very popular for high schools to have a set of seven urban legends passed around among students. The prototypical ones are things like a disappearing classroom, the sound of a piano playing at night when no one is in the music room, or the voice of a girl crying in the toilet when there's no one there. There's a ton of popular culture, ranging from horror flicks to video games, revolving around this.
So it's kind of like things happening in threes in the West?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's strange Japanese culture facts like this that interest me. Can somebody start strangejapaneseculturefacts.tumblr.com or @strangejapaneseculturefacts ?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's strange Japanese culture facts like this that interest me. Can somebody start strangejapaneseculturefacts.tumblr.com or @strangejapaneseculturefacts ?

I'd subscribe only if this has the page title cycle through different dumb anime lines. "You are 100 years too early for Japanese culture facts!" or "It can't be helped... Here's some Japanese culture facts!"

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

JT Jag posted:

So it's kind of like things happening in threes in the West?

I kinda think of it as the Seven Wonders of the World, but applied to your high school or hometown. What do you mean by threes?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I remember the whole "seven school mysteries" thing being the basis for Carl Clover's joke ending in the first BlazBlue game. Didn't realize it was a recurring thing in anime/manga though. So that's kind of neat.

Also, I really hope Junko shows this spy kid just how wrong he is about his role in all of this. I was worried when he made the "we go together like male and female genitalia" metaphor, and was thoroughly creeped out when he ended the whole thing by offering to help her in exchange for sex.

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I'd subscribe only if this has the page title cycle through different dumb anime lines. "You are 100 years too early for Japanese culture facts!" or "It can't be helped... Here's some Japanese culture facts!"

It...It's not like I want to post Japanese culture facts or anything!

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I remember the whole "seven school mysteries" thing being the basis for Carl Clover's joke ending in the first BlazBlue game. Didn't realize it was a recurring thing in anime/manga though. So that's kind of neat.

Also, I really hope Junko shows this spy kid just how wrong he is about his role in all of this. I was worried when he made the "we go together like male and female genitalia" metaphor, and was thoroughly creeped out when he ended the whole thing by offering to help her in exchange for sex.

Well, he does seem to be like Hanamura, except not as amusing, so being creeped out is entirely reasonable here. Also, Junko would either kill him or bring him to the side of Despair if/when she finds out, if you ask me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

saihate posted:

I kinda think of it as the Seven Wonders of the World, but applied to your high school or hometown. What do you mean by threes?

It's a superstition that minor events happen in threes - so if you get run over, two other people will get run over in a short time period. Weird example to use I guess but it's hard to think of a quintessential example really as it's usually said about mundane events, good or bad.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tesseraction posted:

It's a superstition that minor events happen in threes - so if you get run over, two other people will get run over in a short time period. Weird example to use I guess but it's hard to think of a quintessential example really as it's usually said about mundane events, good or bad.

Celebrity deaths seems to be the most common one I've seen.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
DR0 is slowly grating on me. The editor in me wants to cut half the extraneous dialogue and text, collect it into a dense word ball and then pelt the author(s) with it. The conversations are so circular, the prose is so redundant, if a character has a trait that is the only trait they have and you better believe it's going to come up seven times in one chapter.

Was this written before/during/after DR1?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

likecnsnnts posted:

DR0 is slowly grating on me. The editor in me wants to cut half the extraneous dialogue and text, collect it into a dense word ball and then pelt the author(s) with it. The conversations are so circular, the prose is so redundant, if a character has a trait that is the only trait they have and you better believe it's going to come up seven times in one chapter.

After the first game and before the second.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

likecnsnnts posted:

Welcome to light novels! Enjoy your stay!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I was going to say this. This is nowhere near the bad end of them, even.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

saihate posted:

Well, I don't know about western culture in general, but a lot of different cultures have things about 3 being a magical/powerful/special number. You pick it up pretty much all the time in children's storybooks, too.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Monathin posted:

Well, I don't know about western culture in general, but a lot of different cultures have things about 3 being a magical/powerful/special number. You pick it up pretty much all the time in children's storybooks, too.

Honestly, every single digit number has some level of mystical meaning, often in multiple cultures.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Well, we know a little more than that.
7. Likes to be technically honest. I don't think we've ever caught her in a direct lie.
Gonna have to call bullshit here. We never did get any of that home cooking. :colbert:

(I like this chapter. Half of the fun of Dangan Ronpa for me was trying to puzzle out just what the hell happened, and now we're starting to pick up some little hints.)

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Waffleman_ posted:

Are there any good or decent light novels or does the medium mostly consist of pulp?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LateToTheParty posted:

Are there any good or decent light novels or does the medium mostly consist of pulp?

Mostly pulp. They're sort of the equivalent of a Star Wars or Black Library novel; most are pretty weak, some are well-written, none are classics. I'm less than well-read in them, but I've enjoyed a couple of the Toaru Majutsu no Index novels. They can be a bit cliche, but most of the characters are pretty well-written, and the protagonist is likable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LateToTheParty posted:

I've known of some good anime series based on light novels that aren't complete pulp, like Slayers and Fate/Zero, but I haven't read much of their original sources, so I can't really say as to the quality of writing.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

fool_of_sound posted:

Honestly, every single digit number has some level of mystical meaning, often in multiple cultures.
While this is true, three is the most notable one for multiple reasons. It's the first number that can establish a rhythm (1 is noise, 2 gives a potential rate, 3 confirms rate), the first number that can form a complete shape in normal 2D geometry, etc. Basically, 3 becomes a sweet spot for both forming foundations and establishing patterns, making it a really useful and powerful number.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LateToTheParty posted:

Light novels are pulp novels, just specifically Japanese and written since the late 70s.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, at least we're FINALLY learning more about that incident. Which looks more and more like a practice run for the Mutual Killing Games. Which I kind of figured already, but it's nice to have some confirmation.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I've known of some good anime series based on light novels that aren't complete pulp, like Slayers and Fate/Zero, but I haven't read much of their original sources, so I can't really say as to the quality of writing.

I don't think the Fate/Zero novels are badly written, but the translation is appalling. The rest of the handful of decent light novels that exist have bad translations as well.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

sudonim posted:

^^^^ Instead of a box Kamishiro hides in a giant melonpan.

Yeah, if SDR2 turns out to be a prequel, I'm going to be kind of dissapointed. Part of the fun in this for me is wondering how in hell SHSL Despair put this island business together after DR1, and why they did it.

...assuming SHSL Despair is involved at all! We know jack right now.

If SDR2 is a prequel it raises even more questions, especially concerning Togami. He died in this game, so you can't say he slimmed down for DR1 and he certainly wasn't as careful in DR1 as he was in SDR2.
Which means an imposter or copycat of sorts, but the question is.... Why?

As for Japanese facts, the number 4 is commonly associated with death. Many hospitals tend not to have a 4th floor at all.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

7. Likes to be technically honest. I don't think we've ever caught her in a direct lie.
Except when she faked Sakura's letter and framed Kirigiri for murder?

Ineffiable posted:

As for Japanese facts, the number 4 is commonly associated with death. Many hospitals tend not to have a 4th floor at all.
The same association can be found in China as well. There are quite a few residential buildings without the 4th floor.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

If SDR2 is a prequel it raises even more questions, especially concerning Togami. He died in this game, so you can't say he slimmed down for DR1 and he certainly wasn't as careful in DR1 as he was in SDR2.
Which means an imposter or copycat of sorts, but the question is.... Why?

The Togami family has a bunch of clones around, just to be safe. Or Togami père is George Foreman.

While some of the facts might fit with SDR2 being set earlier, I hope it's not, primarily since the sequel was teased by Monobear actually being revived. If we never learn why (or have to wait until DR3 comes out) it'll be disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

Ineffiable posted:

This is because 4 or 四 can be read as "shi", which is a homophone for 死 (death)

I haven't read many light novels, but DR2 reminds me of the first volume of Zaregoto, which is a murder mystery set on an island. And it has the same sort of feel. But Nisio Oshin is kinda known for being wordy, but I found it less stiff and more engaging than other light novels I've attempted to read.

• Locked thread