Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChoLo
Jan 25, 2003

penga86 posted:

I'm currently studying for the 70-640 and after reading and rereading Microsoft's certification site, I'm still confused. I can take 70-640, 642 and 646 prior to July and get the MCSA 2008, which I can then convert to MCSA 2012 by taking 70-417. Then I can take 413 and 414 to get MCSE.

Is this correct?

The only reason I want to go the 2008 route is because I had already purchased study guides for the 2008 tests not to mention I've only ever really worked with 2008 servers in the real world.

This is the path I went with, the upgrade test is extremely easy at the moment. If you have a solid 2008 background this should be relatively easy for you to pass.

Most of the stuff on the exam related to changes from 2008 to 2012 such as the IPAM and some changes to "DCPromo" eventually this exam will get more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dexo posted:

Do you know what the Class A/B/C default Address Masks are.

Yes.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

ChoLo posted:

This is the path I went with, the upgrade test is extremely easy at the moment. If you have a solid 2008 background this should be relatively easy for you to pass.

Most of the stuff on the exam related to changes from 2008 to 2012 such as the IPAM and some changes to "DCPromo" eventually this exam will get more difficult.

Agreed, passed the upgrade test in Feb for MCSA, sit for 70-414 next Friday. Any gotcha's I should be looking for?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Well, I just sat my 70-647 exam and failed badly.
Makes me feel like poo poo, I felt like I was going to do well on this for sure, and was looking forward to finally having my cert.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

You know all you need to know about subnetting.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Speaking of subnetting...the 70-642 has this little box deep into, I think the 45 min mark of the book of lesson 2 for IPv4, has a little blurb that says to the effect of "VLANS: THEY'RE LIKE SUBNETTING ONLY EASIER".

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm getting ready to start a 7-week CCNA course and I'm wondering if anybody else who has gotten their cert can suggest some good online resources they used to help along the way? I looking for forums, blogs, etc, stuff I can read at work/during down time that will keep me thinking.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Third Man posted:

I'm getting ready to start a 7-week CCNA course and I'm wondering if anybody else who has gotten their cert can suggest some good online resources they used to help along the way? I looking for forums, blogs, etc, stuff I can read at work/during down time that will keep me thinking.

There isn't much legit stuff that is a free for you online. I have googled a few subnetting tips websites and looked at a lot of youtube channels which went over cisco exam stuff along the way. Beyond that I haven't found a great central, all-in-one resource.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

The Third Man posted:

These are all for ICND1 only but they should keep you busy:

http://subnettingquestions.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/danscourses

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd1?tab=studylearn (create an account if prompted)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

theperminator posted:

Well, I just sat my 70-647 exam and failed badly.
Makes me feel like poo poo, I felt like I was going to do well on this for sure, and was looking forward to finally having my cert.

Don't feel bad. I barely passed mine myself when I took mine back in the day.

The Microsoft pro tests are an odd twist. The testlets are somewhat practical (yay) , but my gripe is that this shouldn't be the first time you see this.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Are there any online Cisco academies (preferably in Canada) that will allow you to do a cert by correspondence, or at least give you access to Cisco's online curriculum? Everything in my area is either a high-school day program or a for-profit career college, but nothing for night schools.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

madmaan posted:

Don't feel bad. I barely passed mine myself when I took mine back in the day.

The Microsoft pro tests are an odd twist. The testlets are somewhat practical (yay) , but my gripe is that this shouldn't be the first time you see this.

Thanks, any tips besides the press book + james conrads inane ramblings?

What's making me feel poo poo now is that we were told today that my ITP won't be enough to keep our partner status come october, so instead of this being my last exam I'm going to have to upgrade to the MCSE...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I forget, how big is the raise you're getting both to retain your new skillset, but ensure their partner status? Is it whopping? It was whopping right?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I am just reading this now, but apparently you have to take 3 tests to upgrade from ITP 2008 to MCSE 2012? I was hoping it would just be a single upgrade test and I'd be done. Dang. :/

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Looks like I'm gonna be MongoDB certified. Just finished the M102 course from education.10gen.com and only got one question wrong on the final.

If anyone is interested in Mongo at all, I high recommend the class. It costs nothing and is very well done. They have ones for developers and the one like I took for DBA/sysadmin.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So there's an opportunity for me to maybe play around with Microsoft SCCM at work. Are there any books or materials that might help me out with this? I'll be eventually going for my MCSA soonish so I figure this is a good way to show my bosses that I can potentially handle the big time and move up from support.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I haven't found a SCCM book I really like. Most are big on theory, not so great for real world getting poo poo done information. Theory is important, but when you're trying to figure out how to accomplish something in SCCM, lack of real world examples make it difficult.

I did take the 5 day Microsoft Course, but even 40 hours of class time (timed to the slowest person in class) barely scratched the surface.

I've found Windows-Noob to be a great SCCM resource.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/92-configuration-manager-2012/

I would not 'play around' with SCCM in a production environment. Way to easy to do major damage. See if you can build a test environment.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It sits uselessly on my shelf with plenty of other books that I will continue to tell myself I'll get around to, but Sams SCCM Unleashed seems like the right choice for all things SCCM.

Does anyone else have preferred publishers, or do most people take books one at a time? I find myself trusting anything Wrox or Oreilly print.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

madsushi posted:

I am just reading this now, but apparently you have to take 3 tests to upgrade from ITP 2008 to MCSE 2012? I was hoping it would just be a single upgrade test and I'd be done. Dang. :/

Yeah, MCSA is one test (417) and MCSE is two (413,414 or 415,416) plus the 417.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

penga86 posted:

Yeah, MCSA is one test (417) and MCSE is two (413,414 or 415,416) plus the 417.

That depends on which ITP Certification you have, it looks like ITP:EA and ITP:SA aren't upgradeable using that exam
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-417

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

theperminator posted:

That depends on which ITP Certification you have, it looks like ITP:EA and ITP:SA aren't upgradeable using that exam
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-417

MCITP automatically grants you MCSA 2008, which IS upgradeable by this exam.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is it enough to land a help desk position with just the A+ and Network+ but no experience? The job postings in my area almost always stress previous experience no matter what the position is.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

forever gold posted:

Is it enough to land a help desk position with just the A+ and Network+ but no experience? The job postings in my area almost always stress previous experience no matter what the position is.

That is pretty much the purpose of those certs. Anything that says 2 years of experience of help desk is bullshit. Get A+ and apply. Hell you could probably put in your résumé "persuing A+ certification" and get hired.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Man, here I was all worried when I was handed a voucher two weeks ago for the network+ that expired tomorrow. I sat for the cert today after a hard night of drinking and passed it with only having really studied for about 4 days.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

madsushi posted:

MCITP automatically grants you MCSA 2008, which IS upgradeable by this exam.

Awesome, still one more exam to do but it's better than three!

:edit: after looking, MCSA 2008 = 640, 642 and 646 (MCITP Server Administrator)
I'm doing MCITP:EA which in my case is 640, 642, 643, 680 and 647 and doesn't automagically get me MCSA 2008, I'd have to sit the 646 exam to get the MCSA vert.
Seems like a bit of a bloody jip to me. pass more exams seems to equal get screwed over even more.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 13, 2013

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DGK2000 posted:

Man, here I was all worried when I was handed a voucher two weeks ago for the network+ that expired tomorrow. I sat for the cert today after a hard night of drinking and passed it with only having really studied for about 4 days.

Were you already familiar with the material? Cause otherwise, wow.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

forever gold posted:

Were you already familiar with the material? Cause otherwise, wow.

I mean, I've plugged in my own routers and setup my wireless networks. I've also played a bit with virtual machines. But aside from that and building my own computers, not really.

Is it worth getting the A+ if I already have the Network+?

DGK2000 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 13, 2013

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DGK2000 posted:

I mean, I've plugged in my own routers and setup my wireless networks. I've also played a bit with virtual machines. But aside from that and building my own computers, not really.

Is it worth getting the A+ if I already have the Network+?

Depends on your goals.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

forever gold posted:

Depends on your goals.

Getting an AS degree, probably getting stuck in helldesk. Fairly interested in being a network admin, but I think the CCNA is a ways down the road for me.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DGK2000 posted:

Getting an AS degree, probably getting stuck in helldesk. Fairly interested in being a network admin, but I think the CCNA is a ways down the road for me.

Though I already have an AS degree, I'm pretty much on the same plan, and count on A+ and N+ being enough to secure an entry level gig. So, unless money is an issue, I would say getting the A+ can't hurt.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
So there's a new harder CCNA coming this june apparently.

Video of CCNA 5.0 from Cisco

ToG fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 13, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Oh what the gently caress. My current game plan was for early July, and half Cisco Academy's course materials are several years old. We haven't even touched IOS 15.X.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 13, 2013

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Well maybe I'll speed up my plans to get my CCNA then. I don't particularly feel like failing on a new test and being a guinea pig.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

Oh what the gently caress. My current game plan was for early July, and half Cisco Academy's course materials are several years old. We haven't even touched IOS 15.X.

The current test won't stop being available right away. It should be around for at least the rest of the year.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Ganon posted:

The current test won't stop being available right away. It should be around for at least the rest of the year.

Exactly. I've had ICND2 booked since september but had to postpone due to family illness. Hoping to finally go for it soon.
I like the idea of IOS 15 being a part of CCNA but it really does price alot of people like myself out of the market when you consider used gear.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Guess I'll add this
VCP5-DT - VMware View (NOTE VCP5 IS REQUIRED PRIOR TO THIS TEST)
Material I used VMware View 5: Building a Successful Virtual Desktop, VMware View 5 Desktop Virtualization Solutions, and the exam blueprint.

To pass this test you really need to have some experience with view, if nothing else you'll really need to do some complex lab designs, leveraging AD policies, CA, Thinapp, Security servers, Event Servers; basically push what you know you can do with view and AD/GP to the limit.

First off I'll say the exam is not as focused on vSphere as much as the VCP510 exam did. The exam is going to go more into AD policies to optimize view, ThinApp(Setup and requirements to run), supported backed servers(Windows, vCenter, SQL, connection servers), and user interactions. The exam for me was a mash up of 50/50 real world and theory. Prepare to be asked questions like "You need to make sure only X user in Y Dept can access their desktop remotely, while keeping all other workers LAN only. How do you do this?" and "Which of these vmware setups could support view?" A big portion of the exam you probably won't see coming is the Group Policy, don't spend too much time on the customizing the windows 7 OS as you do Group Policy, be prepared to know about the process for setting up and deploying Thinapp solutions, and read the material I posted, if you do that you should do fine.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Ganon posted:

That's a relief to hear, I hope you're right. I went to bed last night thinking I was going to have to do double-time to be ready right at the end of the semester.

I'm curious- When they do change, do they make all the test centers adopt the new one at the same time? I mean I'm assuming they wouldn't want to give testees a choice as to which test they pass.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

theperminator posted:

Awesome, still one more exam to do but it's better than three!

:edit: after looking, MCSA 2008 = 640, 642 and 646 (MCITP Server Administrator)
I'm doing MCITP:EA which in my case is 640, 642, 643, 680 and 647 and doesn't automagically get me MCSA 2008, I'd have to sit the 646 exam to get the MCSA vert.
Seems like a bit of a bloody jip to me. pass more exams seems to equal get screwed over even more.

I have the MCITP:EA and automagically obtained the MCSA2008 cert which i then upgraded to MCSA2012 and am sitting for the final test 70-414 for MCSE2012 on Friday.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Nebulis01 posted:

I have the MCITP:EA and automagically obtained the MCSA2008 cert which i then upgraded to MCSA2012 and am sitting for the final test 70-414 for MCSE2012 on Friday.

Good luck. I'm sitting the 640 tomorrow :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SaltLick posted:

That is pretty much the purpose of those certs. Anything that says 2 years of experience of help desk is bullshit. Get A+ and apply. Hell you could probably put in your résumé "persuing A+ certification" and get hired.

You'll probably want to spell it right on your resume though.