Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Zaregoto also used one of the same plot twists DR1 employed... I am kind of glad I didn't mention it when DR1 was still being LP'd, but the book was either cleaned the gently caress up in translation or actually read pretty well to begin because it read like a real mystery...

Honestly with the exception of the Slayers and Kino's Journey novels (which also didn't read like Light novels to me...) I've found most Light/Japanese novels with anime or manga ties to be somewhat shockingly formulaic in one regard: 80-90% of the time, the plot is structured around an unassuming male character who either meets, or has known/been friends with a particularly eccentric, unique female character who will *always* possess a strange outlook and/or behaviorism, or worse, just a gimmick. They then have an adventure or a conflict. The male character tends to have a one-note quality to an otherwise bland characterization, or they did something interesting in the past and or have something way out of left field happen to them during the plot.

Shakugan no Shana, the Fortune Quest novel, Zaregoto, *the Book-Girl series*, Kara no Kyoukai, Spice and Wolf (quasi counting this one, since at least the hero had a drat *job*) and I imagine many more.

I kinda feel that DR0 is using the inverse: Girl Meets/Knows Boy regarding Ryouko and Matsuda or at the least they are using the same drat formula only from the eccentric girl's perspective which none of the aforementioned ever did (Slayers...maybe... but I maintain that those books were more directly a 1st person narrative and Lina Inverse is far too much of a personified character to be lumped in with the other examples...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

TKMobile posted:

Honestly with the exception of the Slayers and Kino's Journey novels (which also didn't read like Light novels to me...) I've found most Light/Japanese novels with anime or manga ties to be somewhat shockingly formulaic in one regard: 80-90% of the time, the plot is structured around an unassuming male character who either meets, or has known/been friends with a particularly eccentric, unique female character who will *always* possess a strange outlook and/or behaviorism, or worse, just a gimmick. They then have an adventure or a conflict. The male character tends to have a one-note quality to an otherwise bland characterization, or they did something interesting in the past and or have something way out of left field happen to them during the plot.

Shakugan no Shana, the Fortune Quest novel, Zaregoto, *the Book-Girl series*, Kara no Kyoukai, Spice and Wolf (quasi counting this one, since at least the hero had a drat *job*) and I imagine many more.

I like how you list the "Unassuming male character meets eccentric female character with a strange outlook" genre of light novel and then don't include Haruhi Suzumiya in the list. Of course, those light novels are actually well-executed, so...

Sporkaganza fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 13, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm more confused about Kara no Kyoukai, which does indeed include that, except the unassuming male is far removed from being a main character and the novels are actually about the girl brutally murdering an increasingly mad series of opponents with a sword.

Not that you should read them rather than watching the films, as even the original author has said repeatedly, but it really doesn't fit the mold.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

Rodyle posted:

I'm more confused about Kara no Kyoukai, which does indeed include that, except the unassuming male is far removed from being a main character and the novels are actually about the girl brutally murdering an increasingly mad series of opponents with a sword.

Not that you should read them rather than watching the films, as even the original author has said repeatedly, but it really doesn't fit the mold.

They were among Nasu's first works, which naturally means they were pretty much just slightly organized rambling stories. The films cleaned them up quite nicely.

As for the rest of the topic, "unassuming guy meet eccentric girl and adventures ensue" sums up quite a bit of the fiction aimed at the targeted age range. A quick glance at my video game shelf reveals a number of titles under which that would fit, for certain definitions of eccentric

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Kanfy posted:

I guess I still don't get this line of thinking, a small kid deserves to die because he's acting perverted? :raise:

I assume it's a small kid at least, you can never be sure with this stuff.

No, you're the one who's right. Both he and Hanamura are comic relief characters. Call me when either does something worse than Quagmire from Family Guy.

Also, just so it's clear, I am getting sick of the hyperbolic statements about this stuff (Hanamura's not a sex offender) and I've started getting reports on them, so really thread, knock it off. Mod sanctioned, the comments are getting weirder and creepier than the characters.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I drew Kuzuryuu today. Please go easy on me, this is the first time I've tried to draw anime since I was 8 years old. :v:

[You can click for big]

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jeek posted:

Except when she faked Sakura's letter and framed Kirigiri for murder?

Er, yes. :v:

Good job! I like the linework. He does look a bit older than he usually does, but it's a good depiction of the character.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

No, you're the one who's right. Both he and Hanamura are comic relief characters. Call me when either does something worse than Quagmire from Family Guy.

Also, just so it's clear, I am getting sick of the hyperbolic statements about this stuff (Hanamura's not a sex offender) and I've started getting reports on them, so really thread, knock it off. Mod sanctioned, the comments are getting weirder and creepier than the characters.

Speaking just for myself here, I know that the scene was intended as comic relief, but the joke simply didn't work for me. The whole situation just came off as creepy instead of funny.

In any case, I agree that it's not worth getting all that worked up over.

Suzuki Method posted:

I drew Kuzuryuu today. Please go easy on me, this is the first time I've tried to draw anime since I was 8 years old. :v:

[You can click for big]

Wow, that's a nice pic. I really like the style.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking just for myself here, I know that the scene was intended as comic relief, but the joke simply didn't work for me. The whole situation just came off as creepy instead of funny.

Last word on it.

It's gone too far. It's no longer a comment on the writing or the game, and it's just gotten weird. I'm not expressing my personal opinion, I'm telling people to knock it off.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Good job! I like the linework. He does look a bit older than he usually does, but it's a good depiction of the character.

Heh, if Kuzuryuu really does have issues about the "babyface" thing, looking more like a rough and tough gangster is probably what he wants. Impressive pic.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Oh, that's manly.

I do have a complaint though. What's up with the the weird cropping?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Sporkaganza posted:

I like how you list the "Unassuming male character meets eccentric female character with a strange outlook" genre of light novel and then don't include Haruhi Suzumiya in the list. Of course, those light novels are actually well-executed, so...

I didn't mention any specific book I haven't read myself, though this aspect of the Haruhi novels in retrospect isn't surprising all that much.

EDIT: whereas video games DO use this trope-ish standard to some extent, it's not the same as the Light novels employing the exact same third person limited or first person narrative method and in general the same attitude.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 13, 2013

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I noticed that, in comparison to DR1, there are still a few rules 'missing' from the core set. Last time we had "No killing more than two people" and "No breaking locks" added on, right? Because this time, the student's cottages have - if I remember correctly - nice, big, breakable windows and are far more accessible than DR1's sound-proofed murderbunkers.

Also, I'm like 100 pages late, but I just had to:

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!

Lunar Suite posted:

I noticed that, in comparison to DR1, there are still a few rules 'missing' from the core set. Last time we had "No killing more than two people" and "No breaking locks" added on, right? Because this time, the student's cottages have - if I remember correctly - nice, big, breakable windows and are far more accessible than DR1's sound-proofed murderbunkers.

Also, I'm like 100 pages late, but I just had to:

Oh crap, I'm going to die in a week now aren't I?
Wait, I linked it, I'm saved!

True, but we also have some additional rules that Monomi added. It's anyone's guess if Monobear will actually enforce them or not. I think at this point Monobear wants to encourage murders so he isn't setting a limit on them. And I believe we already have a no vandalism rule.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

something horrifying
You're good people.

And so are you. If Kuzuryuu's game sprite grew his hair out a little he'd probably have a slightly shorter smaller inferiority complex. Or try to bulk up a little, perhaps?

Dude, do you even lift?!

I dunno sometimes I guess--

INSUFFICIENT!! *bodychecks him with a dumbbell*

Maybe not.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Seriously. That artwork (which as already noted is fantastic) indirectly points out that at least some of Kuzuryuu's issues are self-inflicted. He's certainly capable of making himself grungier and less cheek-pinchingly cute. Even though he may not be able to do much about his facial structure, skin tone, or (lack of) scruffiness, he can at least do something with his clothes or hair.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Vil posted:

Seriously. That artwork (which as already noted is fantastic) indirectly points out that at least some of Kuzuryuu's issues are self-inflicted. He's certainly capable of making himself grungier and less cheek-pinchingly cute. Even though he may not be able to do much about his facial structure, skin tone, or (lack of) scruffiness, he can at least do something with his clothes or hair.

The cigar helps, too.

North of Gravity
Jun 30, 2007

did y0u pr0gram this r0b0t t0 have feelings f0r y0u?
R0MANTIC FEELINGS???

D --> Is that not ok
I did a quick doodle of Ibuki this morning. :blush:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rangpur posted:

You're good people.

And so are you. If Kuzuryuu's game sprite grew his hair out a little he'd probably have a slightly shorter smaller inferiority complex. Or try to bulk up a little, perhaps?

Dude, do you even lift?!

I dunno sometimes I guess--

INSUFFICIENT!! *bodychecks him with a dumbbell*

Maybe not.

I like to think of Nekomaru as an incredibly aggressive Shine.

PLEASE WORK OUT!

Shirimasen
Mar 31, 2012
So I had a cultural question I was hoping someone could answer. (I'm a 2nd semester Japanese language student.) Why are the characters' names written in Katakana, such as in the following pictures; if they are natives of Japan?

Fedule posted:

Today on Anecdotes: Extremes!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Stylistic choice, I believe it was answered earlier in the thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Probably just a sylistic choice.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Waffleman_ posted:

PLEASE WORK OUT!

Now I really want to see a picture of Nekomaru lifting a couch over his head.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Waffleman_ posted:

PLEASE WORK OUT!

And then Kuzuryuu got banned in a hilarious fashion for not keeping up with his log.

North of Gravity posted:

This is really nice. :allears: I like how she sort of feels like a Sailor Moon character here (outfit notwithstanding.)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

North of Gravity posted:

She looks like a dude.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Miss Kalle posted:

And then Kuzuryuu got banned in a hilarious fashion for not keeping up with his log.

"Ran 2 miles today to escape from a homicidal teddy bear. Will post pics later"

TehDuke
Oct 17, 2012

Who am I?
What is happening?
Why is butterscotch?

Shirimasen posted:

Why are the characters' names written in Katakana, such as in the following pictures; if they are natives of Japan?

It's probably in part stylistic, like others have said, but katakana is also a lot less ambiguous (phonetically speaking) than kanji. Sometimes not every kanji in a word is immediately legible, even to a Japanese audience - names in particular can be bad about this. Like, take Gundam's name. His family name, Tanaka (田中), is a really common one and anyone with a passing knowledge of kanji should be able to read it. His given name, Gundam (眼蛇夢), however, is more complicated. Even if you know what each kanji means, the way you're meant to read/pronounce it is more up in the air.

There's an interesting dialogue here about the aesthetics of ambiguity in the Japanese language, but I've :spergin: enough and this thread really isn't the place for that.

Now to return to my lurking slumber and await patiently for the trial to begin.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
North of Gravity I love that! She looks properly sassy, and your style is very cool.

Ibuki seems like she'd be pretty fun to draw, but I might try and draw Sonia or Peko. Haven't decided which yet, trying to get back into the habit of making art myself.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

North of Gravity posted:

She looks like a Monster High doll. Which actually might make for a cool doll mod. :v:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I'd totally buy an Ibuki monster high doll. I was talking with my friend who is really into ball-jointed dolls about, if I ever got rich, I'd mod a BJD into Genocider Syo, with the hanging tongue and crazy eyes and tally marks, scissors, everything. :allears:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

I'll take a break from spamming the thread with fanart now, but have this clothing fold practice. I pretty much overdid it but whatever.

edit: tomorrow after I've slept I'll take a look at this post and see all the obvious mistakes and feel embarrassed

tiistai fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 14, 2013

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Speaking of Ibuki, is it ever explained what the stitching along her left leg is? I was hoping that it was some type of hosiery, but I think it's an actual scar.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Shadow225 posted:

Speaking of Ibuki, is it ever explained what the stitching along her left leg is? I was hoping that it was some type of hosiery, but I think it's an actual scar.

If there's an explanation, it hasn't come yet. It looks like a patterned stocking to me.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

You can buy tights with 'scar' stitches on them at Hot Topic. At least, I've seen them on the internet before. I wouldn't worry about Ibuki being Genocider Syo #2.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ugh dammit I wish I wasn't so bogged down with school poo poo or I'd be leading the Team Chiaki fan art charge right now.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

tiistai posted:

I'll take a break from spamming the thread with fanart now, but have this clothing fold practice. I pretty much overdid it but whatever.

This is pretty good but you're pushing these folds way too far. This is a heavy garment designed to obscure form of figure, it wouldn't pinch like that, especially not where you have those hard, hard creases.

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

Given all her piercings, I'd be willing to say it could also be another kind of body mod like scarification. Honestly, though, it's probably just another part of the design and not something we'll be hearing a lot about -- With how exaggerated this game's characters are, the designers probably gave the most attention to the overall aesthetic and kept "would someone do/wear this irl" as an afterthought.

Watch as the next Free Time section is all about that time Ibuki had to get her femur transplanted or something, proving that I'm a chump.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That's somewhat terrifying but at the same time very cute. :3:

I love when great LP's bring out all these people to make neat fanart.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I don't draw at all anymore, I stopped drawing because of low self-esteem, but sometimes things inspire me to draw characters I like, and Dangan Ronpa has such colorful and interesting characters that I just can't resist. :3:

Besides, I figure contributing fanart is at least a little bit better than just throwing out theories-- I'm just one of those people who figures 'i'm going to find out in a few days anyway'. :)

I really like that picture of Hiyoko, Hiyoko has some of the more interesting colours in the game and I like everything she's been in (the perler beads, for one)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I really hope something like this comes to light during the trial's comic assembly phase:

The joke came to me while I was wrapping up a couple of things for my finals and I had to spend a few minutes sketching it out.

• Locked thread