Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was that battleship or aircraft carrier that was loving staggeringly huge, wasn't there?

edit: yup http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/lego-aircraft-carrier

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

There was that battleship or aircraft carrier that was loving staggeringly huge, wasn't there?

Yeah, but I have never seen that in person.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Makes me wonder how they do the internal structure of those things. Technic cross braces?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

smackfu posted:

Makes me wonder how they do the internal structure of those things. Technic cross braces?

For something as large as the carrier they probably have metal supports and glue the bricks together.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

djfooboo posted:

I have never seen a LEGO structure as big as this boat built by Brickmania.
Are the structures at the Mall of America built entirely from LEGO pieces? I was always under the impression they were: http://www.mallofamerica.com/attractions/view/lego

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
drat, I knew I should have gone to brick world yesterday but I just went last year and figured it would be more of the same.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I need some money quick, and I have three sets to sell. I made a thread last month in SA Mart, but kept getting lowballed.

I have:

10215 - UCS Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter
Built, no box, stickers applied

10226 - Sopwith Camel

9495 - Gold Leader's Y-Wing Starfighter

I can ship as soon as tomorrow.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I need some money quick, and I have three sets to sell. I made a thread last month in SA Mart, but kept getting lowballed.

I have:

10215 - UCS Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter

10226 - Sopwith Camel

9495 - Gold Leader's Y-Wing Starfighter

I can ship as soon as tomorrow.

60 for the camel.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

60 for the camel.

$40 under retail? Lowball, thy name is Dr. Tim Whatley

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

The Rage posted:

$40 under retail? Lowball, thy name is Dr. Tim Whatley

Retail is new and in a box.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

ChesterJT posted:

Seriously, if I wanted a sopwith with no box and the stickers used, I plan on paying 40 under retail.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Seriously, if I wanted a sopwith with no box and the stickers used, I plan on paying 40 under retail.

Because the box and stickers are worth $40? :confused:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because the box and stickers are worth $40? :confused:

Hell yeah. I've got a fortune in saved boxes!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

No I get that, but is a LEGO model without the box and the stickers already applied really only worth 60% of its retail cost? I know its not rare or anything yet but that is literally the definition of a lowball offer. With tax he's looking at a loss of half his cost. Unless hes like "need a new kidney" broke, thats insulting even for the internet. Especially when this thread regularly talks about all the awesome deals we've gotten from bulk LEGO buys, or buying up clearance sets to resell later.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Koramei posted:

For something as large as the carrier they probably have metal supports and glue the bricks together.
I found a very large Intrepid that looks like the structure might be entirely brick built: http://www.flickr.com/photos/legomonster/4757310573/in/set-72157623014225989

They seem to use Technic-style pieces with holes to lock the vertical structures together, which is probably the only way to keep it from falling apart under the loads.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

The Rage posted:

that is literally the definition of a lowball offer. With tax he's looking at a loss of half his cost. Unless hes like "need a new kidney" broke, thats insulting even for the internet.

There is no literal definition of a percentage that is a lowball offer. That's in the eye of the seller. In my eyes that's not a lowball offer but it might be to him, won't know until he responds. There's nothing insulting about it, it's a simple business transaction. I'm not sure why you're taking it so personal when you aren't even involved in the transaction?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Not to mention the age old thing called negotiation that usually occurs around these things. If he counters me with 70 or 75 I may still be interested. I may not be, but I might be fine with that.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

There is no literal definition of a percentage that is a lowball offer. That's in the eye of the seller. In my eyes that's not a lowball offer but it might be to him, won't know until he responds. There's nothing insulting about it, it's a simple business transaction. I'm not sure why you're taking it so personal when you aren't even involved in the transaction?

Nothing personal about it. I just saw him say "I'm tired of the SA mart lowball offers" and then the first one was $60 on a set he paid $100+ for. You may not see barely more than half the price as a lowball offer but I do. Difference of opinion.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

The Rage posted:

Nothing personal about it. I just saw him say "I'm tired of the SA mart lowball offers" and then the first one was $60 on a set he paid $100+ for. You may not see barely more than half the price as a lowball offer but I do. Difference of opinion.

Why should I pay barely more than half the price of a used, open, not complete and easy to find set?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
First person to offer $80 can have it. It would be nice to get ~$40 for the Y-Wing and ~$70 for the UCS Obi-Wan.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Why should I pay barely more than half the price of a used, open, not complete and easy to find set?

edit: Nevermind, not worth it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Well while we're all yammering on and on about what a lowball constitutes, I got an extra Vampire Hearse for Christmas, NiB, that I'll sell for $25 shipped so I can go buy some other sweet set.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
B Magazine in Korea did a recent issue about Lego. I've no idea what the content is like, but I'm guessing it's pretty light and fluffy. I mention it because they interviewed my friend and I about our LegoMatrix video, and it's cool for us to get in print if nothing else.

I have to confess, though, that I'm not a Lego fan. I had it up until my early teens then put it away. My mate, on the other hand, is mental for it. His daughter is 9, but I don't think he can get her to show much interest. It's all Barbie princesses and Monster High for her. He has tons of it though, and gladly took ownership of my old stuff. Amongst the generic pieces I had the train tracks and boat hulls, so at least it was stuff he didn't have.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So I was bored on saturday and bought the VW Camper Van and the Unimog. The van was pretty sweet to build and looks very, very nice. I started the Unimog and holy crap, that thing has a lot of pieces. Maybe I shouldn't have started with what's probably the most complicated Technic product on the market today. Oh well.

Now, besides moving my van forwards and backwards, what else should I do with it? Break it down and build it again? Or should I buy more stuff so I can make my own horrible creations?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My VW camper takes pride of place on my shelf. It just looks so drat good, I've no intention of ever breaking it down. I open the doors, take off the roof, etc. it's just so drat nifty! :3:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

uXs posted:

Now, besides moving my van forwards and backwards, what else should I do with it? Break it down and build it again? Or should I buy more stuff so I can make my own horrible creations?

Make tiny meth.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

The_Doctor posted:

My VW camper takes pride of place on my shelf. It just looks so drat good, I've no intention of ever breaking it down. I open the doors, take off the roof, etc. it's just so drat nifty! :3:

It is, my friends are always drawn to it more than my other sets. The UCS snowspeeder and R2D2 get a lot of love too but the camper is defiantly a non lego fan favourite.

Someone here posted a LDD file with a trailer add on for it that almost had me buying a second set to build it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Absolutely. My parents tolerate my Lego habit, but the VW camper they both adore.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

canyonero posted:

Are the structures at the Mall of America built entirely from LEGO pieces? I was always under the impression they were: http://www.mallofamerica.com/attractions/view/lego

Yes, they are. I'm pretty sure they're glued for safety's sake, but I'm almost positive they're completely LEGO. And speaking of, I really like the new displays. The previous ones were a bit... dated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a cross between a Gundam and a Virtual ON bot. I like it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Somehow this thread got unsubscribed, but I absolutely, positively MUST have that continental soldier from Series 10!

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Getting my childhood legos out of the attic bit by bit (or bag by bag as the case may be). I started playing with them as early as age 6 and last had my mitts on them over 14 years ago, so many are yellowed and covered in decade old grime and gunk and teeth marks and :iiam:.

I see the OP recommends throwing them in a pillowcase in the washing machine. What's the most secure way to tie off the end of the pillowcase to ensure nothing spills out? A rubberband on the end? (I tried wiping down each by hand with a disinfectant wipe as I sorted and organised them, but hahahaha after the 300th or so I realize it was slowly driving me insane.)

(Also we may be getting some of my boyfriend's childhood legos mailed from his parents' multi-cat house. Both he and I rather allergic to cats. Would throwing the lot in the washing machine be enough to remove all the allergens from them? Or would the allergens get stuck on the inside of the pillowcase?)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A ziptie would probably do it. Just make sure to chop the end off.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Does Lego still make that little segmented bendy arm with the articulated claw at the end, or did that go the way of the dodo? It might have been my single favorite piece as a kid.
e: as seen here
Sweet photoshopped boxart for a MOC, from here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nolnet/3366839288/in/set-72157627652906202/

By the same guy:

Full set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nolnet/sets/72157632975280782/

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 13, 2013

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I had a lot of classic Space sets and have a few of those claws, and the shovels that went on some of them and I thought they were great too. I haven't seen them on a set in years.

Edit: Bricklink showing the last set with one was 1987. :( Looks like they sort of replaced it with stuff like this.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 13, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ChesterJT posted:

I had a lot of classic Space sets and have a few of those claws, and the shovels that went on some of them and I thought they were great too. I haven't seen them on a set in years.

Edit: Bricklink showing the last set with one was 1987. :( Looks like they sort of replaced it with stuff like this.

1987? Bullshit.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Nah, the last sets with those old claws and arms were the Aquanaut and Hydronaut sets in the late 90s. I had a load of them, probably still in the loft at my parent's house.

These days the arms have been replaced by a locking version (parts 30552, 30553, 30554 and 41532). There isn't a true replacement for the old claw, they usually build a claw hand out of part 53989 now.

e:fb

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Oh my bad, I forgot that Bricklink divides the parts by color. Whatever color was last on the list was 1987 :v:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The second largest set in the UFO line (the circular UFO with a landing craft) had an arm made out of those things. I'm pretty sure another set around the same time came with one, because I have exactly two sets' worth of those pieces and I never collected the Aquanaut/Hydronaut/Aquashark line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Ausgoons, Target Australia is currently having a buy one get one 50% off sale on all toys, until the 20th.