Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm 2 episodes in on the new HBO show Enlightened. This is a whole lot of boring poo poo about unpleasant people and I'm really not feeling it, and yet the reviews and ratings are talking about it like it's The Wire? What's happening.

Apparently Season 1 sucks and Season 2 somehow became brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Breaking Bad---it's our hold-over until season 7 of Dexter comes out on DvD.

Senator Incitatus
Dec 31, 2012
I'm in season 2 of Shameless (US). This show is amazing I can't believe it isn't more famous. The show makes a great depiction of what being poor is actually feels and is funny as hell. Does anyone knows if the UK version is just as good? and do they differ plot wise?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Senator Incitatus posted:

I'm in season 2 of Shameless (US). This show is amazing I can't believe it isn't more famous. The show makes a great depiction of what being poor is actually feels and is funny as hell. Does anyone knows if the UK version is just as good? and do they differ plot wise?

I love Shameless, it is probably in my top 5 right now. I'm glad more people are starting to watch it. I tried watching the UK version, and I just couldn't get into it. It is too soap opera-y, in my opinion, which apparently is part of the appeal if you're into that.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Senator Incitatus posted:

UK Shameless starts out well for a few seasons then nosedives into terribleness that somehow won't roll over and die.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lugaloco posted:

UK Shameless starts out well for a few seasons then nosedives into terribleness that somehow won't roll over and die.

I still maintain the perfect end point was when Mandy died. They could have ended it there and it would have been perfect.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

qbert posted:

Apparently Season 1 sucks and Season 2 somehow became brilliant.
Season 1 is stellar and season 2 is transcendent. It's just degrees of brilliance.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Exploder posted:

I love Shameless, it is probably in my top 5 right now. I'm glad more people are starting to watch it. I tried watching the UK version, and I just couldn't get into it. It is too soap opera-y, in my opinion, which apparently is part of the appeal if you're into that.

I watched the first episode of the UK one some time back, and I have never been so lost in dialogue ever. The actors of the UK version have such thick accents that I couldn't tell what the hell they were saying. I've watched quite a bit of UK shows and I am use to that thick accent, but holy poo poo it was like they were speaking alien.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Khorne Flakes posted:

I watched the first episode of the UK one some time back, and I have never been so lost in dialogue ever. The actors of the UK version have such thick accents that I couldn't tell what the hell they were saying. I've watched quite a bit of UK shows and I am use to that thick accent, but holy poo poo it was like they were speaking alien.

Okay, so it wasn't just me who had a hard time following the dialogue. And I love a lot of British television and films too. I thought I was just being a stereotypical stupid American.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
This weekend I binged on all of the aired episodes (six of them) of The Americans, and it is amazing and you should all watch it.

If you're like me and put it off because you couldn't buy Keri Russell as a badass Russian spy, try it anyway. She's not always convincing in her physical fight scenes (although I think they filmed the pilot just weeks after she had a baby, which is a good excuse), but she can do Stone Cold Zealot like nobody's business. Matthew Rhys is killing it as her spy partner and husband of convenience. He's convincing in every aspect of his character, including his ability to disappear into a cover role by wearing a different wig and changing his demeanor. Their chemistry is fantastic.

I love how there's a reversal of expected gender roles, where she's the unsentimental pragmatist who always puts the mission first and saw her husband as just part of her cover for most of their marriage, and he's the soft-hearted, hot-tempered one who always puts his family first and genuinely loves his wife and children. Their relationship is really compelling and is -- in a show where the action and suspense in every episode is really tense and well-done -- the draw of the show for me, and that's saying a lot.

Vague spoilers for a recent episode: There was an awesome scene where the two of them are caught and it looks like since he won't break under torture, she's going to be tortured in front of him so that he'll break. I was thinking, "It would be more dramatic if the roles were reversed, since we know he's going to break because he loves her." Except he didn't! Because he knew she was tough enough to take it and he trusted her competence and abilities. Husband of the year material. :swoon:

Bonus if you're learning to speak Russian (like me!), there are lots of scenes with Russian spoken by fluent or native speakers, with subtitles.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 11, 2013

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Upon the recommendation of pretty much everyone, I finally started up The Wire. I am 2 episodes into Season 2, and wondering when it picks up and becomes good.

So far, the characters are pretty one-dimensional, there isn't any suspense, no compelling master plan, very little intrigue, and very little action. Please tell me it gets better, because I was really hoping for another series that could get close to how good The Shield was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Upon the recommendation of pretty much everyone, I finally started up The Wire. I am 2 episodes into Season 2, and wondering when it picks up and becomes good.

So far, the characters are pretty one-dimensional, there isn't any suspense, no compelling master plan, very little intrigue, and very little action. Please tell me it gets better, because I was really hoping for another series that could get close to how good The Shield was.

If you're not into it by the end of season 1, you're not going to be. No intrigue and one dimensional characters are... If you don't like the show, hey, that's fine, opinions are opinions, but those statements are almost objectively wrong, and I'm wondering if you're watching the same show I did.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Doom Rooster posted:

Your statement is just going to open up a big can of worms. Just watch it knowing it's the opposite of every cop show ever made. Everything that happens- every scene is important and connected. In fact re-watch the first episode of the series, just to see how much you missed and didn't pick up on.

Admittedly the first time I watched season 1 a lot of the time, including the premiere- I felt that "nothing happened".

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think the fact he's watching it while comparing it to the Shield to be what's messing him up. It never was any kind of action show.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
The Wire and The Shield are both great (typically I refer to them as the best show and my favorite show, respectively), but if you go into either one expecting anything resembling the other... you're gonna have a bad time.

You're not gonna like the answer, but you're watching the show wrong. The Wire is a show unlike any other that really tries to orient the viewer into how they should view it rather playing catch-up to them. But you are also not the first person who has made it all the way through the first season and still not really gotten the show. Same happened to me when it was airing, I gave it up and didn't try until some years after it ended.

I don't think plowing forward is gonna do much because the show isn't going to change, you've got to adapt how you look at it before it will click. Maybe there are some people out there that kept at it and mid-show it all started coming together for them, but every success story I know has involved the person dropping the show for awhile and coming back after a month/year starting at the pilot again but with soft eyes.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The Wire and The Shield are both great (typically I refer to them as the best show and my favorite show, respectively), but if you go into either one expecting anything resembling the other... you're gonna have a bad time.

You're not gonna like the answer, but you're watching the show wrong. The Wire is a show unlike any other that really tries to orient the viewer into how they should view it rather playing catch-up to them. But you are also not the first person who has made it all the way through the first season and still not really gotten the show. Same happened to me when it was airing, I gave it up and didn't try until some years after it ended.

I don't think plowing forward is gonna do much because the show isn't going to change, you've got to adapt how you look at it before it will click. Maybe there are some people out there that kept at it and mid-show it all started coming together for them, but every success story I know has involved the person dropping the show for awhile and coming back after a month/year starting at the pilot again but with soft eyes.

Yes, it's impossible to keep watching at this point "expecting it to turn good". The show doesn't work like that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Give it a few months and start over. It took me a few tries before it started clicking for me. No reason to force it, you'll just think it sucks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Doom Rooster posted:

there isn't any suspense, no compelling master plan, very little intrigue, and very little action.
Superficially speaking this is part of what makes it so good.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies. I think that I will take the advice, and put it down for a while, then come back later with a better understanding of what to expect. I really was looking for The Shield 2.0

Nate RFB posted:

Superficially speaking this is part of what makes it so good.

I think this may be one of the other reasons that I am not getting into it. It is probably actually TOO realistic, at least for what I was expecting. They are fighting an ultimately futile war on drugs, and the lives of the cops involved are more about bureaucracy and very small victories, than action and huge busts.

I will give it another go down the line.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

This is exactly what I did, and it worked out for me. I watched the first season, and I mildly enjoyed it. I came back to it on many recommendations a year later to watch season 2, but decided to re-watch season 1 for the hell of it, and it all clicked after the 6th or 7th episode. That was a couple years ago, and it is probably about time I re-watch it all again. Thank you HBOGO.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, I'm going through the same thing except in reverse. I started The Shield mostly on the recommendations from the Wire thread and I'm not particularly feeling it either, at least for the first few eps, in the same way that I muddleld through Southland without either loving or hating it. I'll give it 4 eps and if I don't like it then I don't like it. I guess typical police proceedurals just aren't my thing.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
The Shield isn't a procedural (or very typical). The first season just is more episodic like Justified, and it's also easily the worst season of the show, after which it really gets going.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Holy poo poo the last 6 episodes of The Sarah Connor Chronicles are insane. And now I am getting incredible blueballs at that cliffhanger.

TSCC: We All Die For You, John :cry:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is The Sarah Connor Chronicles available on any streaming sites? I looked on Netflix the other day and couldn't find it. I watched it when it first aired, but don't remember too much other than the black cop being confused a lot and a tub full of body goo.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

JLightning posted:

Is The Sarah Connor Chronicles available on any streaming sites? I looked on Netflix the other day and couldn't find it. I watched it when it first aired, but don't remember too much other than the black cop being confused a lot and a tub full of body goo.

I remember watching the last episode and Brian Austin Green's character getting shot right in the loving face out of no where. That was pretty crazy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

calandryll posted:

I remember watching the last episode and Brian Austin Green's character getting shot right in the loving face out of no where. That was pretty crazy.

That happened in the episode before, in the first 5 minutes. It was pretty great

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

That happened in the episode before, in the first 5 minutes. It was pretty great

Yeah I remember the sheer :tviv: in the thread

Same for Omar in The Wire :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sarah Connor is on Amazon Prime. Which reminds me that i should start watching that.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bobkatt013 posted:

You're right, it's been awhile since I've watched the show. Hmm, I did just order a Roku and have half priced Prime for the year...

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
I'm finishing up the first season of the Adventures of Pete and Pete. I saw a few episodes growing up but it's really surprising how well it holds up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Doom Rooster posted:

They are fighting an ultimately futile war on drugs, and the lives of the cops involved are more about bureaucracy and very small victories, than action and huge busts
Yep!

quote:

Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals. Whether one is a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, all are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution they are committed to."
You're not the first person to have such thoughts so yeah just give it some time I suppose and try again some other time.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, I'm going through the same thing except in reverse. I started The Shield mostly on the recommendations from the Wire thread and I'm not particularly feeling it either, at least for the first few eps, in the same way that I muddleld through Southland without either loving or hating it. I'll give it 4 eps and if I don't like it then I don't like it. I guess typical police proceedurals just aren't my thing.
IMO watch up to Dragonchasers (ep 10) before releasing the final verdict. If you don't hate it after that, I'd really recommend finishing it though to the end as it's just a few more episodes and S1 has a pretty good finale (relative to the others, and The Shield sets the bar really loving high where finales are concerned). It's definitely controversial but a stance can be made that the first season is perhaps the weakest overall, too, so just know the procedural part will melt off until the majority of scenes are just beats on story arcs that run multiple episodes, or the season arc, or the series arc. One of the strong suits of that show is how they get all these different big and small stories weaving together and S1 feels the most like a procedural because it ranks lowest on doing that weaving because the show was still finding its feet (eg. there's a central character who started as a friend-of-the-creator thrown in more or less as an extra to help film the pilot).

Honestly it's got a lot more in common with Breaking Bad or The Sopranos (in some ways) than it does with The Wire. It's really a disservice to couple those two together, and count me as one who watched one episode of The Wire while it was airing S2, with the premise that "It's HBO's parallel of The Shield", and sadly never returned to it for years because of that.

Buffy update: Past the halfway mark of Season 6. Overall I've really enjoyed everything up til now, but I can see the complaints about this season. The episode with the musical numbers was loving excellent and did a great job at establishing the current major points of conflict (which are far more nuanced than just introducing the next Big Bad), but the episodes that followed took a big dip on exploring those points and had an unpleasant mixture of heavy handedness at parts and feels like the storytelling is dragging its feet. I get why, but nonetheless the season hits a slump though remains high quality and still has a few shining moments. I guess it's also jarring to come off a 4-season stretch of amazing story telling and fun character development into something much more introspective without much of an external threat looming around. Still loving the show, and it's really one where you get to watch everyone grow up :3:. I imagine this show will make it into my short list of rewatches.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 12, 2013

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

Khorne Flakes posted:

I have just been plowing through the Shameless UK series (now up to Season 5) and I think its great although I'm not sure why there has been such a huge rotation in characters it seems to be something that UK Shows do quite a bit (Misfits and Skins come to mind). I don't have an issue with the accents but maybe because I'm Aussie and we have a lot of English people here? I did watch the first episode of the U.S. Version and the pilot episodes are almost identical however i think they change quite a lot after that so i will watch the U.S. version once i get through the U.K. one.

The U.S. pilot though just didnt seem to have the same feel to me, everyone as usual is more attractive and the violence, drugs, sex and general theme of the show is a lot more watered down. William H Macy as the lead just feels plain wrong also, but i may be incorrect and i will definitely give it a show after the UK one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bhaal posted:

IMO watch up to Dragonchasers (ep 10) before releasing the final verdict. If you don't hate it after that, I'd really recommend finishing it though to the end as it's just a few more episodes and S1 has a pretty good finale (relative to the others, and The Shield sets the bar really loving high where finales are concerned). It's definitely controversial but a stance can be made that the first season is perhaps the weakest overall, too, so just know the procedural part will melt off until the majority of scenes are just beats on story arcs that run multiple episodes, or the season arc, or the series arc. One of the strong suits of that show is how they get all these different big and small stories weaving together and S1 feels the most like a procedural because it ranks lowest on doing that weaving because the show was still finding its feet (eg. there's a central character who started as a friend-of-the-creator thrown in more or less as an extra to help film the pilot).

Honestly it's got a lot more in common with Breaking Bad or The Sopranos (in some ways) than it does with The Wire. It's really a disservice to couple those two together, and count me as one who watched one episode of The Wire while it was airing S2, with the premise that "It's HBO's parallel of The Shield", and sadly never returned to it for years because of that.

Buffy update: Past the halfway mark of Season 6. Overall I've really enjoyed everything up til now, but I can see the complaints about this season. The episode with the musical numbers was loving excellent and did a great job at establishing the current major points of conflict (which are far more nuanced than just introducing the next Big Bad), but the episodes that followed took a big dip on exploring those points and had an unpleasant mixture of heavy handedness at parts and feels like the storytelling is dragging its feet. I get why, but nonetheless the season hits a slump though remains high quality and still has a few shining moments. I guess it's also jarring to come off a 4-season stretch of amazing story telling and fun character development into something much more introspective without much of an external threat looming around. Still loving the show, and it's really one where you get to watch everyone grow up :3:. I imagine this show will make it into my short list of rewatches.

I guess I'll stick with the shield until Ep 10, I'm still on the fence so far, the lovely techno/metal end credits are annoying me more than they should.

I don't know if I'll be able to continue with Enlightened though, I'm on Ep 5 and it's slowly turned from tedium to outright hatred. Every single character in the show (except Tyler and Dougie) is horrifyingly awful and I feel like I've just sat through 5 hours of Sex and The City II with no end in sight. Unless the season finale is Amy brutally executing everyone in that office and then herself or getting cancer and starting a meth lab I'm done.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 13, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess I'll stick with the shield until Ep 10, I'm still on the fence so far, the lovely techno/metal end credits are annoying me more than they should.

If you don't like it from episode 1, I don't think you'll like the rest of the (loving awesome) show.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Shield is just so dirty looking. And not like gritty realism dirty, just plain dirty. It makes me want to clean my house.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

kloa posted:

If you don't like it from episode 1, I don't think you'll like the rest of the (loving awesome) show.

I didn't like it from episode 1. Most of the first season felt kind of drag, but I liked everything after that.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I didn't like it from episode 1. Most of the first season felt kind of drag, but I liked everything after that.

I had a really hard time keeping track of all the characters. By the season 1 finale I was hooked, but I had to grin and bear it for at least a few episodes. Part of the problem was I too was expecting a typical action cop series. It's this very misconception that keeps a lot of people from watching it, even when you insist it's not that at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

kloa posted:

I really didn't like episode 1 and the rest of season 1 was sort of meh. It gets a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Think Archer is my next binge. I'd never seen any of it before (not counting goon avatars) and I'm really liking it after the first three episodes.