Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to soak myself in Screenwipe in preparation for a Black Mirror binge but I keep having to go outside frequently and take deep breaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Think Archer is my next binge. I'd never seen any of it before (not counting goon avatars) and I'm really liking it after the first three episodes.

As a Chuck fan, you will love it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Think Archer is my next binge. I'd never seen any of it before (not counting goon avatars) and I'm really liking it after the first three episodes.

I envy you getting to see it for the first time.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I envy you for a four season binge. Be careful not to overload on funny because it only gets better and never stops.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Wow guys, sounds like I'm in for a treat! Almost burst when Archer asked Conway about having sex with his mother, rather than about who the hell he actually was. Cyril is just the best character ever as well :allears:

Twee as gently caress posted:

As a Chuck fan, you will love it.

What made you think I was a Chuck fan?! :cheeky:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Chuck Bartowski posted:

One of my favourite shows out right now. While I think there's been a slight dip in quality from Season 3, it's still great. The earlier it "clicks" for you, the better.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Archer season 3 and Comedy Bang Bang both have come up on Netflix this week. Both great comedy's that deserve to be seen, though I know Archer is mentioned every page.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doom Rooster posted:

Upon the recommendation of pretty much everyone, I finally started up The Wire. I am 2 episodes into Season 2, and wondering when it picks up and becomes good.

So far, the characters are pretty one-dimensional, there isn't any suspense, no compelling master plan, very little intrigue, and very little action. Please tell me it gets better, because I was really hoping for another series that could get close to how good The Shield was.

Little late on this, but keep on until the end of Season 3, at least. S2 is the most standalone and S3 completes the arc that's established in S1 but only referenced in S2.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
It took me three tries to get into The Wire and the only reason it worked on the third try was because I litterally left the episodes on as background noise while I surfed the net and did other things. It wasn't until episode ten of the first season that I suddenly sat up and took notice (for obvious reasons). Your first watch through of the wire doesn't matter anyway, especially when it comes to the first season. Most of dialogue goes right over your head and you don't know enough about any of the characters to appreciate the nuance in the performances. The Wire is unique in that the second time you go through it it's actually even better because you know who everyone is and what their motivations are and you can sit back and marvel at all the amazing things you missed the first time around.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 16, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Khorne Flakes posted:

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Archer season 3 and Comedy Bang Bang both have come up on Netflix this week. Both great comedy's that deserve to be seen, though I know Archer is mentioned every page.

If you haven't listened to the CBB podcast, you should! It's like the tv show, but longer and better. Then come join us in the CBB podcast thread.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm way behind the curve, but thanks to Netflix I'm on a X-Files + Battlestar Galactica binge. I've been watching the X-Files for 20 years now. One episode here, another one there. Never in order, usually late at night on TV. I didn't even know how many seasons there are. I've wanted to start at the very beginning for a long time, and so I'm doing that. And BSG lost me years ago, when it first aired. I watched it religiously until that one episode where Starbuck and Apollo beat the crap out of each other in a boxing ring. I don't remember why anymore, but that episode pissed me off so much that I simply stopped watching BSG. Picked it up again a couple of days ago (right at the episode where I stopped caring) and I am totally hooked once again. I have no clue what was wrong with me, I should have kept on watching.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I am also extremely behind on stuff I should have watched long ago but didn't because I was a dumb teenager. I just finished the first episode of Firefly and that was easily one of the best first episodes of anything I've ever watched. I will binge through the rest later today, but I am already sad because I know I will love this show and there are only 13 episodes left in the series.

At least I get to watch it in 1080p and no doubt am able to appreciate it much more now than I would have when younger.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 16, 2013

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Geek U.S.A. posted:

I am also extremely behind on stuff I should have watched long ago but didn't because I was a dumb teenager. I just finished the first episode of Firefly and that was easily one of the best first episodes of anything I've ever watched. I will binge through the rest later today, but I am already sad because I know I will love this show and there are only 13 episodes left in the series.

At least I get to watch it in 1080p and no doubt am able to appreciate it much more now than I would have when younger.

Don´t forget there´s also a movie that wraps up the story. It´s called Serenity and I personally loved it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I just watched the pilot episode of Supernatural and while it was okay, it didn't really 'hook' me. Going to continue with the show since it seems like every time I hear it mentioned people love it, but I hope it picks up...

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I just watched the pilot episode of Supernatural and while it was okay, it didn't really 'hook' me. Going to continue with the show since it seems like every time I hear it mentioned people love it, but I hope it picks up...

The pilot suffers from too much characters telling each other things the other already knows. And the first season has the inconsistent writing problems a lot of shows have in their first season when the writers are trying to figure out what works, and what doesn't. (Route 666 infamously doesn't work. Feel free to skip it, or just get a few drinks in you before watching it.) I wouldn't recommend skipping the first season, because it lays a lot of groundwork for a pretty good five season story arc with some interesting mythology.

Basically, Supernatural is a pretty good spiritual successor to Buffy & Angel, some people joking around and making pop culture references while hunting monsters. Individual episodes can wander between goofy and creepy, and turn on a dime from being goofy to really disturbing. Which makes sense, since a lot of the writers for Supernatural also used to write for Buffy & Angel.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 17, 2013

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
I'm just coming to the end of the first series of Nikita after it was recommended on here. It's far better than I was expecting. I remember watching La Femme Nikita in the 90's and assumed it would be awful. Are seasons 2 and 3 as good or better?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

franchise1 posted:

I'm just coming to the end of the first series of Nikita after it was recommended on here. It's far better than I was expecting. I remember watching La Femme Nikita in the 90's and assumed it would be awful. Are seasons 2 and 3 as good or better?

Season 2 is insane, especially the second half. You're un for quite a ride.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

franchise1 posted:

Season two is so insane, but in a good way. Season three started pretty slow, but the past three or so episodes have been really good and probably a bit more tame like season one. Did I mention Season two is crazy?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Halfway through season 4 of BSG. Why the gently caress did I ever stop watching? This is great.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Jack's Flow posted:

Halfway through season 4 of BSG. Why the gently caress did I ever stop watching? This is great.

Report back once you've seen it all.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Jack's Flow posted:

Please post after the finale again with your thoughts

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Just finished season 2 of Archer. This is some ridiculously fun TV.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
:hfive:

Best news? It only gets better from there

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Please post after the finale again with your thoughts

In the general chat thread.

:getin:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

And am also currently considering buying a tank, some fish, and naming them all Sam, Coach, Diane, Carla, Frasier, Woody, Lilith, Norm, Cliff, Rebecca, and maybe a Vera if I end up with an odd number and one likes to never be seen.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

soapgish posted:

I'm currently giving an enema to CHEERS.

You're administering an enema to someone while watching Cheers?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I thought it was like a stage performance enema and the crowd is going WILD over it.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Just tried to watch Archer. I'm a huge fan of Sealab, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Spaceghost, Dr. Katz, and shows like that so I forced myself to sit through 3 episodes of the first season. It was just plain boring and I don't think I laughed once. For all the people lauding it, I just do not get it why it anyone would like it, other than the interesting animation.

My biggest problem is probably how much of a douchebag the main character is.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

aventari posted:

Just tried to watch Archer. I'm a huge fan of Sealab, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Spaceghost, Dr. Katz, and shows like that so I forced myself to sit through 3 episodes of the first season. It was just plain boring and I don't think I laughed once. For all the people lauding it, I just do not get it why it anyone would like it, other than the interesting animation.

I tried to watch based only on goon recommendations. I didn't like the first episode, but I figured I'd keep watching. I stopped in the middle of the second one. Just not for me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mister Kingdom posted:

I tried to watch based only on goon recommendations. I didn't like the first episode, but I figured I'd keep watching. I stopped in the middle of the second one. Just not for me.

I managed to watch 2 seasons or so, Aisha Tyler and Jessica Walter are great but the schtick just didn't have much staying power and and I never picked it up again.

It was sort of like an American take on a lot of anime - start out with a zany premis that is actually pretty amusing and stretch it out for longer than it can stay interesting.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 19, 2013

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

aventari posted:

Just tried to watch Archer. I'm a huge fan of Sealab, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Spaceghost, Dr. Katz.

Does not compute.

Seriously, all the characters on those shows are douchebags as well.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mr. Jive posted:

I'm trying to soak myself in Screenwipe in preparation for a Black Mirror binge but I keep having to go outside frequently and take deep breaths.

As a US goon, I didn't even realize there was a second season of Black Mirror until you said this. Thanks, I didn't need to sleep tonight anyway.

I watched the first season in one sitting, but after that second episode of season 2 I had to turn it off and pet the cats for awhile.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have a 50 minute bus commute both ways nowadays so I have been binging shows hard.

I watched all of Parks & Recreation and I don't get why I ignored this show for so long, I thought it would be "the office" in a government setting but this show is just pure happiness and glee. :allears:

Because I finished catching up to that show I watched both seasons of Party Down over the last week and this is a great little show that got canceled way before it's time.
We did get Ben Wyat out of this though. :dance:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 19, 2013

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Jarl posted:

It is NOT! TBBT is as much "nerdy" as Fraiser is "high brow", i.e. FAUX (stealing the comparison from a friend). XKCD is nerdy.

XKCD is annoying. And tries too hard.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Short Penguin posted:

XKCD is annoying. And tries too hard.

Did you just now remember that you forgot to post this 2 years ago?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

:hfive:

Best news? It only gets better from there

Wow, no kidding. The first episode of season 3 and already Patrick Warburton and David Cross have characters :swoon:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

I have a 50 minute bus commute both ways nowadays so I have been binging shows hard.

I watched all of Parks & Recreation and I don't get why I ignored this show for so long, I thought it would be "the office" in a government setting but this show is just pure happiness and flee. :allears:

Because I finished catching up to that show I watched both seasons of Party Down over the last week and this is a great little show that got canceled way before it's time.
We did get Ben Wyat out of this though. :dance:

Same here, buddy! :hfive:

Oh, and you loved Party Down? Check out the Veronica Mars Introduction thread that was just posted. It's from the same creator, it's just as funny (albeit in a different way) and actually a much better show (and I say that as a big PD fan)

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Wow, no kidding. The first episode of season 3 and already Patrick Warburton and David Cross have characters :swoon:

It only gets better from there :allears:

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

Same here, buddy! :hfive:

Oh, and you loved Party Down? Check out the Veronica Mars Introduction thread that was just posted. It's from the same creator, it's just as funny (albeit in a different way) and actually a much better show (and I say that as a big PD fan)

Parks & Rec, Party Down, and Veronica Mars are all amazing shows. I hope there is a Party down kickstarter to go with the VM one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'm trying to decide on what to binge on. I watch, Justified, Archer, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones. I think that is it I don't recall anything else right now. I am considering Mad Men ,but how good is it really? I watched the first season and was just Meh. I've seen most Goon liked TV shows Lost , BSG, etc.. I've also heard good things about Homeland but haven't watched it. Oh and I've never actually watched The Wire ,but I also don't want to watch 5 seasons of something.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 19, 2013