Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Started Uncharted 1 about 5-6 days ago and finished it yesterday. Other than the baddies being bullet sponges (which was fixed apparently in 2), this game was total awesome for someone like me. I like a game that has a somewhat interesting story, good graphics, and good, generally easy gameplay.

I liked UC1 so much, that the very next thing I did was pop UC2 into my super slim and played through 3-4 chapters of that. Now I'm on Chapter 6 or 7 this morning. The graphics on top of the hotel in Tibetan village are AMAZING! The games are amazing for a single play-through experience. Seriously should have played this sooner than wasting my time with GTA 4. What a waste.

I didn't know about Naughty Dog until recently, even after having a PS2 for a while (I know, I live under a rock) and playing through some GTA and sports games. Now I do. The Last of Us looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010
It doesn't seem like there's many goons playing it so I don't know if I can get any advice, but God of War Ascension is seriously pissing me off. I'm at the Trials of Archimedes and it's complete bullshit. There's 3 incredibly difficult battles in a row with absolutely no checkpoints, health or magic pickups in between.

The first battle has you fighting 4-6 Gorgons with 4 lightning witches. The first time I made it through that fight with about 1/8th of my health bar left and no magic, got to the second battle and was promptly destroyed. After discovering there was no checkpoint I wanted to stop playing right then and there because the Gorgon fight was so ridiculously frustrating. The second time I made it through the first battle by abusing the hell out of my magic, got through the second battle by the skin of my teeth only to be stopped dead in my tracks by a loving glitch that prevented me from progressing.

MailboxFullOfBombs fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 13, 2013

pud
Jul 9, 2001

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

It doesn't seem like there's many goons playing it so I don't know if I can get any advice, but God of War Ascension is seriously pissing me off. I'm at the Trials of Archimedes and it's complete bullshit. There's 3 incredibly difficult battles in a row with absolutely no checkpoints, health or magic pickups in between.

The first round gets a lot easier if you spam your magic and use the QTE moves to finish off the gorgons, they'll drop blue orbs and refill your magic as you kill them. The second and third rounds are both pretty easy, you just want to be sure to finish the amazons in the second with the QTE, they'll drop some green orbs and that's your only source of healing for the Trials. If you've powered up your clone he can be handy, too.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010

pud posted:

The first round gets a lot easier if you spam your magic and use the QTE moves to finish off the gorgons, they'll drop blue orbs and refill your magic as you kill them. The second and third rounds are both pretty easy, you just want to be sure to finish the amazons in the second with the QTE, they'll drop some green orbs and that's your only source of healing for the Trials. If you've powered up your clone he can be handy, too.

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I'm feeling more in the mood to play. That glitch stopping me after completing the second fight really left a sour taste in my mouth. I killed that big statue guy (can't remember what they're called) and just ran around for about 5 minutes trying to figure out why nothing was happening, but there was nothing to interact with. So I just turned off the system instead of reloading and fighting those god damned Gorgons again.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

LaserWash posted:

Started Uncharted 1 about 5-6 days ago and finished it yesterday. Other than the baddies being bullet sponges (which was fixed apparently in 2), this game was total awesome for someone like me. I like a game that has a somewhat interesting story, good graphics, and good, generally easy gameplay.

I liked UC1 so much, that the very next thing I did was pop UC2 into my super slim and played through 3-4 chapters of that. Now I'm on Chapter 6 or 7 this morning. The graphics on top of the hotel in Tibetan village are AMAZING! The games are amazing for a single play-through experience. Seriously should have played this sooner than wasting my time with GTA 4. What a waste.

I didn't know about Naughty Dog until recently, even after having a PS2 for a while (I know, I live under a rock) and playing through some GTA and sports games. Now I do. The Last of Us looks amazing.

I too regret not playing the Uncharted series sooner (played my first one back in summer). It's amazing how much of a step up UC2 is compared to an already great UC. The view from the top of the hotel is one of the best views in the game, but the game has plenty other amazing moments.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LaserWash posted:

Great to see someone enjoying the series from the beginning. Too many people skip the first game and miss the awe-inspiring technical progression of the games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I disagree. It wasn't the melee itself that made the combat better in my eyes, it was the fluid transition from melee to shooting and back again that made it better in my eyes.

You're in a small group if you consider Uncharted 3's clunky melee seamless.

quote:

Also, there were more weapons than that and even the weapons in that category functioned differently from one another.

Yeah, you had a pistol that acted like an assault rifle and a pistol that acted like a shotgun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Aphrodite posted:

You're in a small group if you consider Uncharted 3's clunky melee seamless.

Yeah, you had a pistol that acted like an assault rifle and a pistol that acted like a shotgun.

I am not a big fan of Uncharted 3. Also, there is much more variety to the weapons than that.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
All the collectable talk really reminds me of how the collectables all link to experience points, so you can get really sweet abilities quicker if you bother to explore/collect... which you will want to do, because the platforming mechanics and the environments are all best in class.

The way Tomb Raider integrates all its systems into a dynamic whole that constantly rewards the player for playing and motivates them to continue doing so is something way too many companies don't even bother with these days. For all the usual sociological/narrative runarounds, I hope that people who actually make video games are giving even half as much focus to the reasons Tomb Raider is a top-shelf video game, mechanically speaking. Each time I successfully traversed a new section to get an out of the way collectable, I felt a little shot of happy in my brain. More developers really should work more diligently toward that goal.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

bloodysabbath posted:

All the collectable talk really reminds me of how the collectables all link to experience points, so you can get really sweet abilities quicker if you bother to explore/collect... which you will want to do, because the platforming mechanics and the environments are all best in class.

The way Tomb Raider integrates all its systems into a dynamic whole that constantly rewards the player for playing and motivates them to continue doing so is something way too many companies don't even bother with these days. For all the usual sociological/narrative runarounds, I hope that people who actually make video games are giving even half as much focus to the reasons Tomb Raider is a top-shelf video game, mechanically speaking. Each time I successfully traversed a new section to get an out of the way collectable, I felt a little shot of happy in my brain. More developers really should work more diligently toward that goal.

I also like how all the upgrades seem to reflect Lara's growth into an unstoppable killing machine. You start with some basic scavenging abilities, then after a while you get access to some dirty fighting techniques like stabbing people in the leg or throwing dirt in their faces. And by the end you get a bunch of execution-like abilities. It's also reflected in her attitude towards her enemies. I wish more games paid attention to the small details like that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just finished Tomb Raider. Not a perfect game, but really, fired on nearly all cylinders in terms of entertainment.

One thing that kinda cracks me up. The model for Lara accurately reflects cuts and scrapes and lacerations and scars and stuff. Seriously, by the end, her arms look like Freddy Kreuger's face.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

I just finished Tomb Raider. Not a perfect game, but really, fired on nearly all cylinders in terms of entertainment.

One thing that kinda cracks me up. The model for Lara accurately reflects cuts and scrapes and lacerations and scars and stuff. Seriously, by the end, her arms look like Freddy Kreuger's face.

As we all know from the Batman games, poo poo like that is cool.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah but homegirl is going to need to wear long sleeves in the next game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, she should just be all scarred up. Every game she should be more scarred.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Next game she'll have long sleeves, but shorts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest if they actually keep Lara scarred up the next game I'd be pretty impressed. I assume she's gonna reset to zero like... well, like Batman.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Imagine a Tomb Raider 5(I know) where Lara Croft is covered in disfiguring scars. She's 43 and has weird leathery skin from being out in the sun all the time and she's COVERED in scar tissue. Also, she's single-handedly reduced the world's population of nameless henchmen by 3.3 billion, and is widely known as the world's most hosed up archer.

edit: Man this character sounds awesome.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 14, 2013

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Imagine a Tomb Raider 5(I know) where Lara Croft is covered in disfiguring scars. She's 43 and has weird leathery skin from being out in the sun all the time and she's COVERED in scar tissue. Also, she's single-handedly reduced the world's population of nameless henchmen by 3.3 billion, and is widely known as the world's most hosed up archer.

She'd have to go on quite a few rampages.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyone around her would be in some sort of... hazardous area.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Don't forget the breast cancer.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

So she'll be the Chosen Undead then? Hmm what sort of weaponry does she use ingame? I might roll a tomb raider in Lordran, dickwraithing in catacombs/tomb of the giants all day every day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

A female Nameless One would be awesome. I was kind of surprised you couldn't choose your gender even when Planescape was new honestly. It's not like anyone on Planescape had THAT much animation to redo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im amazed that she didn't break any bones in the game. She is truly made out of adamantium.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

A female Nameless One would be awesome. I was kind of surprised you couldn't choose your gender even when Planescape was new honestly. It's not like anyone on Planescape had THAT much animation to redo.

They'd reboot the series again before they ever get to that point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That loving Sned posted:

They'd reboot the series again before they ever get to that point.

Actually...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I rented God of War: Ascension, how is the Last of Us demo pack-in handled? Is it a code, or is accessible from the game itself?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Dan Didio posted:

I rented God of War: Ascension, how is the Last of Us demo pack-in handled? Is it a code, or is accessible from the game itself?
You rent it again in 70-something days, then press square. That's how it's handled.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ah, that's a shame. Oh well, it's not like I was hoping for anything, just noticed the sticker on the box when I got it home.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hi everyone, I've been told multiple times no by many, many different people I'd love the Persona series, but I don't have any Sony consoles other than my PS3, does anyone know what path I should take if i'm going to start the series or if I should get another console to play them?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Download Persona 3 FES from PSN.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Download Persona 3 FES from PSN.

I won't be missing any plot points or something from the previous 2??

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

They're unrelated storywise, as I understand it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

3 has nothing to with the first 2 in both gameplay and story so yeah just start with 3.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Alright! Thanks guys! I'll download it tomorrow and start playing!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Just finished Uncharted 2 last night and echoing the people who wished they had played through it sooner. I got a bit weary of the combat towards the end (just mowing down the same 5 or so enemy types over and over) and I thought the platforming was done a bit better in the AC series, but overall it was one of the best games I've played in years. I have number 3 waiting to be played, but I need a bit of a break before I dive in so I'm going to play through Journey and LBP first.

I don't know much about Journey other than deserts and scarves, other people pop into your game and it's pretty short. With the way the game is structured should I attempt to do it in one sitting, or will I be ok playing it over a few evenings?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Raffles posted:

Just finished Uncharted 2 last night and echoing the people who wished they had played through it sooner. I got a bit weary of the combat towards the end (just mowing down the same 5 or so enemy types over and over) and I thought the platforming was done a bit better in the AC series, but overall it was one of the best games I've played in years. I have number 3 waiting to be played, but I need a bit of a break before I dive in so I'm going to play through Journey and LBP first.

I don't know much about Journey other than deserts and scarves, other people pop into your game and it's pretty short. With the way the game is structured should I attempt to do it in one sitting, or will I be ok playing it over a few evenings?
One sitting or not at all, in my opinion. Not like you'll be able to put it down after you start playing, anyway.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Raffles posted:

Do Journey in one sitting, it's short and good enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

For best results try to eliminate everything that might distract you and use headphones or something similar. And yes, do it in one sitting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stare-Out posted:

For best results try to eliminate everything that might distract you and use headphones or something similar. And yes, do it in one sitting.

And make DAMNED sure you're signed into PSN before you start playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Also be sure to post a Journey trip report when you finish. :3:

I wanna go back to my first Journey. :ohdear:

• Locked thread