Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

shymog posted:

Between the Optimus G and GS3... the GS3 has a much poorer screen (AMOLED is cool, but pentile makes everything look less sharp thanks to missing subpixels). However, the GS3 has a removable battery as well as a memory card slot if those things are important to you. The GS3 also has a better camera.

The Galaxy S3 is also well-supported by accessory manufacturers and third-parts ROM developers, while the Optimus G doesn't have quite the same community.

The Optimus G is basically a non-stock-Android Nexus 4, more or less. I have a Nexus 4, and my biggest complaint is the battery life on the device. It's my fifth Android phone (Evo 4G -> Evo 3D -> Nexus S 4G -> Evo 4G LTE -> Nexus 4), and it's the one I've had to do the most battery management on to get it to last to any significant degree. Idle, the device does great, but something is terribly ineffecient with the screen on (even versus the Evo 4G LTE, which had an ever-so-slightly nicer screen).

To sum it up (and some other considerations):

Screen: Optimus G
Battery: Galaxy S3, user-replaceable
Storage: Galaxy S3 (microSD)
Speed Optimus G
Camera: Galaxy S3
Aftermarket Accessory Support: Galaxy S3
Third-Party Developer Support: Galaxy S3

I can't really speak from personal experience, but two of my Android-nut friends who have more money than me have bought both the Nexus 4 and the Galaxy Note II, and they both ended up preferring the Note II, despite being die-hard Nexus fans. I know you said it's too big, but from what I hear about the battery, it would definitely be the phone I'd gravitate towards if I had the money.

The battery on the Nexus 4 is good for me but I have heard that it's much different on the Optimus G. The G seems to have better battery life than the Nexus 4. So, I would say it's not the same situation.

Also, I think there may be something up with your Nexus 4 battery if you've got to do so much micromanaging of it. I never turn Wi-Fi off anymore, never have BT on since I have no BT devices, and I watch HD YouTube daily and get 3 hours of screen on time and average about 10-17 hours of life.

Beatnik-Filmstar: No problem! Glad I could help you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Well, going with the Samsung Galaxy III. Every head to head review I could find had things pretty drat even with the Optimus G, with the SG III getting the nod in most cases.

Optimus G's higher megapixel camera apparently doesn't really take better shots (and I did prefer the SGIII's when viewing side by side comparisons of the same shots.) And while the quad core processor sounded nice at first, I'm sure the SGIII's dual core will suffice for 99% of what I'd be doing. The biggest deciding factor I think was the lack of microSD slot on the Sprint version of the Optimus G. I don't really need to have every drat song I own on my phone, but having the option of adding 64 gig's of additional room is pretty nice. Will hold a heck of a lot more video as well.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Quick question, I'm using a Note 2 on Verizon but looking to jump to T-Mobile. Not sure how coverage is here but I'd like to try it out as sim cards are a buck on their site. Is it possible to use their SIM card to test out and then swap back to my Verizon one when I want to use my main number?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lblitzer posted:

Quick question, I'm using a Note 2 on Verizon but looking to jump to T-Mobile. Not sure how coverage is here but I'd like to try it out as sim cards are a buck on their site. Is it possible to use their SIM card to test out and then swap back to my Verizon one when I want to use my main number?

Get two. Put one on the $3/day unlimited everything plan, use the second to transfer over if you're happy.

That's if you're going on the $30 100 minute plan, since it requires a new activation. Otherwise just get one and port later if you like it, changing your pla to whatever.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

You can't use a tmobile sim on your Verizon note 2...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

z06ck posted:

You can't use a tmobile sim on your Verizon note 2...

Everything that I've been reading has lead me to believe that you can. Most Verizon phones that are LTE capable also have GSM radios in them for international use, which are also used domestically here in the states.

Here is the CDMA Note 2 specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_cdma-5152.php

And here is the GSM variant used in the states for AT&T and T-Mobile:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_n7100-4854.php

Notice the GSM frequencies are similar. With that, many roms available for the Note 2 allow you to edit APN settings, thus adding in a GSM carrier should make it work. I mean it's worth a shot and it'll save me the hassle of having to get a different phone but worst case scenario I'll just get an unlocked phone or Nexus 4.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Everything that I've been reading has lead me to believe that you can. Most Verizon phones that are LTE capable also have GSM radios in them for international use, which are also used domestically here in the states.

Here is the CDMA Note 2 specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_cdma-5152.php

And here is the GSM variant used in the states for AT&T and T-Mobile:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_n7100-4854.php

Notice the GSM frequencies are similar. With that, many roms available for the Note 2 allow you to edit APN settings, thus adding in a GSM carrier should make it work. I mean it's worth a shot and it'll save me the hassle of having to get a different phone but worst case scenario I'll just get an unlocked phone or Nexus 4.

The TMo Note 2 is the SGH-T889, not the N7100. You need 1700mhz support unless you want to render it a dumbphone on their data network.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

plester1 posted:

The TMo Note 2 is the SGH-T889, not the N7100. You need 1700mhz support unless you want to render it a dumbphone on their data network.

I'm not finding out much about that model and I'm surprised it's not listed on GSMarena. In any event it's looking to be more of a task than I'd prefer and may just end up selling it and jumping ship to a new phone.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Which type of SIM does the Nexus 4 use?

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Micro.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

Poop- I didn't specify when I ordered the free tmobile sim the other week and got the regular one. Anyone want mine? Free + shipping.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Poop- I didn't specify when I ordered the free tmobile sim the other week and got the regular one. Anyone want mine? Free + shipping.

You could try cutting it, there are templates.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

You can walk into a store and they'll swap it for you. They did it for me.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

plester1 posted:

Unless you have 1900 in your area. I have 1900 in my region and was speed testing at 4mbps on a iPhone 3g. That was the same speed as WIFI (which gets 10mbps on other speed tests) so I assume it was due to the underpowered phone it wasn't speed testing faster.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Sweet I'll try this when I get around to getting rid of my Triumph. (gently caress the triumph make the camera work)

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

I tried to do that when I got my Nokia Lumia 920 and the clerk said that there would be an extra charge for the micro SIM. (Though I'm not sure if he understood that I wanted to exchange the cards.) I went ahead and had the clerk trim my SIM card for free and tested it before leaving the store to make sure it worked. In the end, everything worked out fine.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I'm currently on a T-mobile contract and would like to switch to the prepaid $30 plan. Here's how I'd like things to go:

1. Port number to Google Voice (thereby terminating T-Mobile contract + $100 ETF)
2. Order T-Mobile prepaid sim and activate online
3. Point Google Voice to new number from prepaid sim

Will this plan work, or do I need to tell T-Mobile what I'm up to since ultimately I'll still be their customer (i.e., have the same My T-Mobile account)? I know I can handle the switch over the phone from 611, but I want to avoid that in order to port to Google Voice.

Edit: I think I also need to qualify as a "new customer" or something to get the $30 plan, right?

Big City Drinkin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 13, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Big City Drinkin posted:

I'm currently on a T-mobile contract and would like to switch to the prepaid $30 plan. Here's how I'd like things to go:

1. Port number to Google Voice (thereby terminating T-Mobile contract + $100 ETF)
2. Order T-Mobile prepaid sim and activate online
3. Point Google Voice to new number from prepaid sim

Will this plan work, or do I need to tell T-Mobile what I'm up to since ultimately I'll still be their customer (i.e., have the same My T-Mobile account)? I know I can handle the switch over the phone from 611, but I want to avoid that in order to port to Google Voice.

Edit: I think I also need to qualify as a "new customer" or something to get the $30 plan, right?

IIRC if you point your gvoice number at your new cell number it will still count as incoming minutes, you'll have to use some sort of VoIP thing if you want to skirt the 100 minute nonsense.

If you find one that works well, tell me because GrooveIP is intolerable at best.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

SaNChEzZ posted:

If you find one that works well, tell me because GrooveIP is intolerable at best.

Yeah, I've had basically no luck with GrooveIP, so I think I'm going with the OBi100 solution. I think I've seen it recommended in this thread before.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Big City Drinkin posted:

Yeah, I've had basically no luck with GrooveIP, so I think I'm going with the OBi100 solution. I think I've seen it recommended in this thread before.

Yes you have seen obi recommended many times. It works great.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I have read through a large part of this thread and found no mention of Platinum Tel(ptel) Does anyone know what network they run off of or is there a reason not to use them?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

P-tel could be a good choice for people in a T-mobile service area (they are switching from Sprint network to T-mobile). What distinguishes them from their competition is their pay as you go plan, which is targeted at low/occasional data users - not really what the OP was looking at. Ten cents per megabyte can be really cheap, or really expensive...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So T-Mobile's prepaid data coverage is pretty spotty in my area, wondering thought if Straight Talk or Net10 utilize their prepaid data network or their postpaid ones? Comparing T-Mobile's 3G/4G coverage maps (pre-paid vs post) it's a pretty clear which is better in my area.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Lblitzer posted:

So T-Mobile's prepaid data coverage is pretty spotty in my area, wondering thought if Straight Talk or Net10 utilize their prepaid data network or their postpaid ones? Comparing T-Mobile's 3G/4G coverage maps (pre-paid vs post) it's a pretty clear which is better in my area.

I'd be surprised if Tracfone's brands used T-Mobile's postpaid data network.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

point of return posted:

I'd be surprised if Tracfone's brands used T-Mobile's postpaid data network.

As would I upon further research. The caveat I'm dealing with is either buckle down to Straight Talk or Net10 on AT&T and face a cap of 1.5gb, or T-Mobile with no cap but poo poo coverage. Makes me wish CDMA had better options for data users. Also the whole AT&T sim card debacle.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

As would I upon further research. The caveat I'm dealing with is either buckle down to Straight Talk or Net10 on AT&T and face a cap of 1.5gb, or T-Mobile with no cap but poo poo coverage. Makes me wish CDMA had better options for data users. Also the whole AT&T sim card debacle.

There's no hard cap on Straight Talk, only Net10. Straight Talk's cap is a soft cap around 2-5gb per month depending where you live.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's no hard cap on Straight Talk, only Net10. Straight Talk's cap is a soft cap around 2-5gb per month depending where you live.

Oh really? I figured it'd be both but hey that's better news. Think it's possible to purchase a Straight Talk phone from walmart, cut the sim down and fit into a Nexus 4?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Lblitzer posted:

Think it's possible to purchase a Straight Talk phone from walmart, cut the sim down and fit into a Nexus 4?

Yeah, of course this is possible. Some walmarts actually have SIM cards to be sold seperately (though I, personally, have never seen them).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SB35 posted:

Yeah, of course this is possible. Some walmarts actually have SIM cards to be sold seperately (though I, personally, have never seen them).

Now only if there was a way to tell what radios these phones had so I know if they're using Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T sims...

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

Now only if there was a way to tell what radios these phones had so I know if they're using Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T sims...

Bottom left corner of each box they will say it (GSM is T-Mobile, GSM-A is ATT, CDMA is Sprint, CDMA-V is Verizon).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NJD2005 posted:

Bottom left corner of each box they will say it (GSM is T-Mobile, GSM-A is ATT, CDMA is Sprint, CDMA-V is Verizon).

Awesome, thank you!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the Samsung Galaxy Victory on Virgin Mobile? It's their only phone with LTE and I was thinking about picking one up.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Nabbed the last AT&T Straight Talk phone from Walmart tonight, I'm assuming I can port my number to it by starting a new account and freely swap the sim from phone to phone, I've got a Nexus 4 coming tomorrow and wouldn't mind getting service set up beforehand.

Cuttlefish Party
Mar 18, 2011

Cuttlefish: GO.
(They've advanced quickly.)
Ting says they are now able to activate LTE-capable Sprint-branded phones as part of their "bring your own Sprint device" program. Even if you don't have LTE coverage yet, this is nice because it lets you use a more up-to-date phone (e.g. SGSIII, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note II) on Ting without having to buy the device directly from Ting at the unsubsidized price.

http://ting.com/blog/lte-sprint-devices-can-now-come-to-ting

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Cuttlefish Party posted:

Ting says they are now able to activate LTE-capable Sprint-branded phones as part of their "bring your own Sprint device" program. Even if you don't have LTE coverage yet, this is nice because it lets you use a more up-to-date phone (e.g. SGSIII, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note II) on Ting without having to buy the device directly from Ting at the unsubsidized price.

Still too bad Sprint doesn't allow iPhones in BYOD :(

edit: Does straighttalk even plan on restocking att sims? Their website makes zero mention of it and only presents the tmobile one now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cuttlefish Party posted:

They ought to be goddamn allowing people to take those phones with them sans-ETF if they're in a 'eh, when we get around to it, what's an ETA?' area for network vision. The fact that I pay $90 monthly for the same horseshit service Ting resells at half the price is infuriating.

I know there isn't any roaming, and yes I know roaming a bunch gets you dropped from Sprint but I want that to happen faster.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just ported my iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 4S to net10. It was quite confusing as it doesn't go down like any other prepaid provider but they went through in about an hour. I went to unlockit.co.nz to generate an apn to get data working. iMessage wouldn't work for an hour and then randomly started. I cannot get mms to work and am thinking jailbreaking is my only option at this point. Not sure why the apn settings are inaccessible. Have any pros here figured out the best way to regain iPhone functionality on net 10 and want to save me some time? Their forums are garbage as they take every issue offline and no help is posted.

Thanks!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

MrBond posted:

edit: Does straighttalk even plan on restocking att sims? Their website makes zero mention of it and only presents the tmobile one now.

Net10 was only showing Tmobile SIMs for a while but now has ATT again. So hopefully give it some more time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My sister is asking: what's the phone to get for Straight Talk Verizon? Can you just get an unlocked phone and use that? I don't know how Verizon phones work versus something from, say, the Nexus line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Athenry posted:

Net10 was only showing Tmobile SIMs for a while but now has ATT again. So hopefully give it some more time.

It's still showing T-Mobile for me and I'm not seeing AT&T's name anywhere on the site.

• Locked thread