Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

MykonosFan posted:

I have a question about 3DS data transfers though. Does your step count/Play Coins carry over as well?

Yeah, for all intents and purposes the system software / data / etc is identical to your old 3DS before you transferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Yeah, for all intents and purposes the system software / data / etc is identical to your old 3DS before you transferred.

Sweet! Had never seen anyone mentioned it, would've hated to lose my progress. Thank you!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Pureauthor posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that looks hideous?

It bugs me that Pikachu will be upside down when you are playing it.
Well, it's not like I'd let anyone see me playing that anyway...

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

The HarmoKnight demo is up.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

MykonosFan posted:

Sweet! Had never seen anyone mentioned it, would've hated to lose my progress. Thank you!

Protip: For any game that you don't care about keeping your save progress on, delete it before you start the transfer. That way you can just redownload it from the eShop on your new 3DS and not have to sit there for two hours waiting for it to transfer over via WiFi. The transfer speed is painfully slow, so anything you can do to reduce what has to be transferred is best.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Saoshyant posted:

That outcome makes even less sense when, if there would be a patent infringed, it would have been from Sharp, the company that licensed the 3D display, and not Nintendo.

Joint and several liability means they can go after whoever they want that's tied to the case (joint liability). Nintendo has the deeper pockets so they'd go after them.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Laser Spider posted:

*edit* Nevermind, had to close and reopen the store.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Laser Spider posted:

They already pulled a "That's for the full version" joke and I just got through the tutorial. I was doing fine on all the original courses, but I suck at the first Pokemon stage.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
The Naruto Powerful Shippuuden demo is now also out in EU.
The demo has 6 tutorial and 2 regular missions (1 normal and 1 boss fight) for each playable character, Naruto and Lee.
The missions are short but have different objectives -- for example against Kakashi you need to get him to use his chakra and then hit him to steal a bell -- and you can select one of five different conditions to provide variety.
The game also has an XP system allowing you to upgrade your attributes and moves; you get XP by completing missions, with more complicated conditions giving you a multiplier.
Before and after each mission you get a short dialogue sequence, with Lee's parts being considerably more bizarre as they are inspired by the spin-off manga starring him and Team Gai.
The combat system isn't very complicated: you get the standard normal and special attacks, timed blocks and finally assists, which are one-off moves by other characters.

It's not bad little brawler but I don't think it has much longevity; I also don't see the humor appealing to everybody.
I wouldn't necessarily pay full price for it but, if it ever gets discounted, I can certainly see myself picking it up.

Somewhat related:
Does anyone know when Code of Princess is going to be available in EU?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

They already pulled a "That's for the full version" joke and I just got through the tutorial. I was doing fine on all the original courses, but I suck at the first Pokemon stage.

Oh good. I thought it was just me being terrible at rhythm games again.

The last stage did give me some trouble, too. It reminded me of the Tambourine mini game in Rhythm Heaven Fever which I also was terrible at.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
Does anyone want to convince me one way or the other on the new Castlevania game? I hadn't realised it was out until Nintendo sent me an email about it but I enjoyed the DS games.

...though the trailer makes it look like there's more 3D action-fighting which I'm probably less keen on, I prefer the platformy, puzzle approach.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Jeremys Iron posted:

Does anyone want to convince me one way or the other on the new Castlevania game? I hadn't realised it was out until Nintendo sent me an email about it but I enjoyed the DS games.

...though the trailer makes it look like there's more 3D action-fighting which I'm probably less keen on, I prefer the platformy, puzzle approach.

it's nothing like the DS or GBA games. More God of War less Metroidvania

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Laser Spider posted:

Man, there's some hidden depth in this game that the demo doesn't tell you about. You can hit all the background plants for notes (including jump attacks for the high up ones), and if you charge up your attack by holding down A, you get double notes when you hit an enemy.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

scissorman posted:

Does anyone know when Code of Princess is going to be available in EU?

I think the current target is "spring" so in the next couple of months hopefully. It's also going to be an eShop only game. If the price is £39.99 then there is no way in hell I'm buying it. Even though I actually want to play it. gently caress EU eShop pricing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just got a spotpass notification for Style Savvy. They added a Japanese clothing brand: Liz Lisa.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Jeremys Iron posted:

It's almost entirely brawler, not anything like the "good" Castlevania games at all.

Speaking of, anyone else find it sort of ironic that both Castlevania and Metroid have both steered away from the "metroidvania" genre, yet we continue to call it that?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
HarmoKnight reminds me of a mix between Rhythm Thief and Bit.Trip Runner. I'm not sure if it's $15 good from the demo, but I'd definitely pick it up for $10.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The demo was pretty fun, but man that bee level was annoying as gently caress. Hope those 'boss' levels are few and far between.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

big mean giraffe posted:

The demo was pretty fun, but man that bee level was annoying as gently caress. Hope those 'boss' levels are few and far between.

Funny, that is typical rhythmic gameplay right there. Question and answer. There seems to be a ton of those boss fights in the main game, if the multiple trailers are a thing to go by.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Dehry posted:

I just got a spotpass notification for Style Savvy. They added a Japanese clothing brand: Liz Lisa.

Woo new stuff in Style Savvy! Thanks for the heads up. :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Artix posted:

HarmoKnight reminds me of a mix between Rhythm Thief and Bit.Trip Runner. I'm not sure if it's $15 good from the demo, but I'd definitely pick it up for $10.

Is it really going to be $15?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I wonder why game demos have limited uses before their actual game comes out. I mean, if you're releasing the demo ahead of time, there's hardly any harm in the player playing your demo as much as he or she wants since you're not actually selling your game yet. I mean, I understand why it's there normally, but limiting it before release just seems like a missed opportunity to build even more hype for a game.

Regarding HarmoKnight itself, aside from what others have already said I really like the art style. If it looks like a comic strip made into a game, that's pretty much because it is; in the Iwata Asks interview about HarmoKnight, the earliest design documents were written as comics and had pretty much the same style as the game today. That interview also talks a fair bit about Game Freak's relatively open development process, which makes me wonder why they've done so few non-Pokémon games for over 15 years now.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Laser Spider posted:

Regarding HarmoKnight itself, aside from what others have already said I really like the art style. If it looks like a comic strip made into a game, that's pretty much because it is; in the Iwata Asks interview about HarmoKnight, the earliest design documents were written as comics and had pretty much the same style as the game today. That interview also talks a fair bit about Game Freak's relatively open development process, which makes me wonder why they've done so few non-Pokémon games for over 15 years now.

It explains why in there. You are given three months to get a game going with two or so people, basically. If the idea is worth taking off, they give you a couple more people to help you out with, and three more months.

Game Freak also seems like the type of company that'd rather not show off betas and things. It's a Nintendo thing. They really don't like showing off half-bakes in any form.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You'd have to take it up with the publishers as far as why some have so few plays allowed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

scissorman posted:

The Naruto Powerful Shippuuden demo is now also out in EU.
The demo has 6 tutorial and 2 regular missions (1 normal and 1 boss fight) for each playable character, Naruto and Lee.
The missions are short but have different objectives -- for example against Kakashi you need to get him to use his chakra and then hit him to steal a bell -- and you can select one of five different conditions to provide variety.
The game also has an XP system allowing you to upgrade your attributes and moves; you get XP by completing missions, with more complicated conditions giving you a multiplier.
Before and after each mission you get a short dialogue sequence, with Lee's parts being considerably more bizarre as they are inspired by the spin-off manga starring him and Team Gai.
The combat system isn't very complicated: you get the standard normal and special attacks, timed blocks and finally assists, which are one-off moves by other characters.

It's not bad little brawler but I don't think it has much longevity; I also don't see the humor appealing to everybody.
I wouldn't necessarily pay full price for it but, if it ever gets discounted, I can certainly see myself picking it up.

There was also some other neat stuff, like Combo Cancelling, and being able to actually remove XP from stuff you invest in, so a level 1 challenge run would be pretty easy. The end of the demo also said there were over 100 missions, and with the different personal challenge settings, I think it could last a while. A problem I had was that it seemed a bit easy, and doing just the tutorial gets you enough exp to get you up to level 7 and you can one-shot almost everything except Kakashi and Guy. Dashing around and hitting dudes, throwing them into the air and poo poo was actually pretty fun though. If it got up on the eshop (which it apperantly won't), I'd definitely get it. But since it won't, eeh, we'll see. I could definitely be interested, though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chronojam posted:

You'd have to take it up with the publishers as far as why some have so few plays allowed.

I don't really understand the limited plays at all, especially when you're locked to a certain, usually very small portion of the game. Seems pointless, really.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Given Nintendo's track record, I think its amazing they even allow demos on the eShop to begin with. They've made some pretty good strides in recent years, but there's still lots of internet things they're super weird about.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Look at how good people are at Harmoknight already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHpKz9_RcKw

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm actually enjoying Castlevania, but I'm a big nerd for the series anyway. This one is primarily a combo brawler, but it's got lots of exploration and puzzle elements. Most of the puzzles amount to "how do I jump over there?" but at least twice the camera zooms out and it's time to move poo poo around and flip switches.

The IGN review was a pretty good example of GAMES JOURLNASM. The guy complains about the monsters being too hard to kill... Then goes on to say that combos and special moves are dumb because he beat the game only using basic attack. Also the boss fights are too easy because he didn't open the options screen and set it to the difficulty he wanted.

He also drags out the "everything is brown tunnels" chestnut, which is wrong enough that I wonder if he played anything beyond the demo.

It's not as good as the GBA or DS metroidvanias, but it's not the poo poo sandwich it's being panned as. Wait a few weeks and get it on sale or used.

It also takes place in the LoS reboot universe, so get ready for a story that will make less sense than usual.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Stolen from somewhere that stole it from the newspaper:

Looks like 3ds systems are going on sale at target on the 24th. An extremely early heads up, but early is better, I think.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Artix posted:

One of the worst things to happen to gaming in this post-iOS age is the phenomenon of balking at purchasing an arcade-style video game over a mere $5.

More to the point regarding Harmoknight, I found it fun based on the demo and enjoyed the simple mechanics in place and how difficult it is at points... Then I learned you could charge your attack and get more notes as a result and now I'm viewing the potential challenge of this game in a completely different way. :suicide:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

Is it really going to be $15?

The Japanese version is closer to $20.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I would be extremely surprised if it didn't cost £20

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^I think the NOA site says/said $14.99, so it'll be 14.99EUR on the PAL store, or a little over 12GBP.

Anyway, from NOA's PR:

quote:

Building off its 92 Metacritic score, Fire Emblem Awakening for Nintendo 3DS had the best first month sales in franchise history, selling more than 180,000 units (more than 117,000 at retail + more than 63,000 digital units). By comparison, the previous hand-held entrant in the franchise – Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon – has sold a little more than 250,000 units life to date in the U.S. Fire Emblem Awakening sold 70 percent of that figure in just 28 days.

I'm surprised it sold so many copies at retail, given how many people were complaining about being unable to find it anywhere.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 15, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^I think the NOA site says/said $14.99, so it'll be 14.99EUR on the PAL store.

For what it's worth, $14.99 is the price in the eShop as well.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Huh. I just walked into a local game store and went "I'd like a copy of Fire Emblem Awakening." There was no fuss for me.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Given Nintendo's track record, I think its amazing they even allow demos on the eShop to begin with. They've made some pretty good strides in recent years, but there's still lots of internet things they're super weird about.

That makes it even weirder because if Hypothetical Resident Evil Demo has a play limit of 10, CAPCOM -- not Nintendo -- set that limit. Nintendo is fine with any availability period and replayability.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

unimportantguy posted:

Huh. I just walked into a local game store and went "I'd like a copy of Fire Emblem Awakening." There was no fuss for me.

I asked for a copy when I got my XL. The guy at gamestop told me I may as well just get the digital version because there was just no way I was going to find a physical copy. Since I'd heard about it being scarce already, I just shrugged and bought the download code.

The next day I went to the best buy across the street and they had copies. Then I went to the Toys R Us next door to that and they had copies. Later I went to Walmart and they had copies.

Ultimately I don't mind having a digital version but at the time the wait for the download was a pain and I always prefer physical copies of things anyway so I was kind of miffed at the guy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They printed more physical copies recently. Closer to launch there were shortages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Are you sure they did? Sometimes they have boxes out, but don't have the games, and it's stupid.

• Locked thread