Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I think you should let her sleep as long as she wants to during the day. Newborns need SO much sleep and restricting it during the day to try to have some kind of schedule at night is crazytown. And there's no reason you should worry about her being dependent on the boob to be calmed down. That's part of the reason for breast feeding in the first place. She's so new and you just have to roll with it in the early weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So what can we do when she has this 3 hour nonstop cry session at night. We are really at a loss. We just gave her a bath and she is suckling now....to start screaming again after i dont know as we enter hour 3.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Are you swaddling? We swaddled my son for all sleep for the first 6-ish weeks and then all night until around 6 months. Can you walk outside with her for a minute? Sometimes the change in temp/scenery will calm them down. Does she seem gassy? Can you do some tummy rubbing and bicycling her legs to try to work it out? Or give her gas drops if you have those. Googling "the witching hour" too. Some kids have a period at night where they are just unhappy for no apparent reason. I'd wrap my kid up in the moby and bounce on the corner of the bed sometimes. Good luck. Newborns are hard and trying to get them to conform to an adult schedule is just going to make everyone crazy. They still need to eat 10-12 times a day and 4 weeks is prime growth spurt time too, meaning she'll be hanging out on the breast a lot to increase your wife's milk supply. Also, get some earplugs. It will be less stressful rocking a crying baby if you can hardly hear her.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chickalicious posted:

Are you swaddling? We swaddled my son for all sleep for the first 6-ish weeks and then all night until around 6 months. Can you walk outside with her for a minute? Sometimes the change in temp/scenery will calm them down. Does she seem gassy? Can you do some tummy rubbing and bicycling her legs to try to work it out? Or give her gas drops if you have those. Googling "the witching hour" too. Some kids have a period at night where they are just unhappy for no apparent reason. I'd wrap my kid up in the moby and bounce on the corner of the bed sometimes. Good luck. Newborns are hard and trying to get them to conform to an adult schedule is just going to make everyone crazy. They still need to eat 10-12 times a day and 4 weeks is prime growth spurt time too, meaning she'll be hanging out on the breast a lot to increase your wife's milk supply. Also, get some earplugs. It will be less stressful rocking a crying baby if you can hardly hear her.

Thanks a lot for that advice. She really appreciates it as do i. We may have just gt her down...3 and a half hours later. Ifn not well..ill be back.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 21, 2017

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Jastiger posted:

So what can we do when she has this 3 hour nonstop cry session at night. We are really at a loss. We just gave her a bath and she is suckling now....to start screaming again after i dont know as we enter hour 3.

We just dealt with a growth spurt period and it was hell, three days nonstop of nursing every hour and fussing when he wasn't nursing. It really sucked, but it's part of having a baby. Newborns are hard and you have to just deal the best you can. When all else fails and my son gets super hysterical, we swaddle him as tightly as we can, hold him very close and tight, and rock really vigorously in the glider while patting his bottom. It works every time. You can also try swaddling and bouncing on a yoga ball, which was recommended by a friend whose first baby had crazy colic. There's not much that's easy about this age, ou have to just roll with it.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
Does anyone have twin tips? I'm 15 weeks now and I'm getting past the novelty stage of bring pregnant twice and into the "oh poo poo how am I gonna manage this" stage. I'm reading all the issues people have with just one baby and it feels like I'm going to want to jump off a bridge to get any kind of relief with 2. I just keep reading to try and keep them on a schedule together so you attempt to get a handle on a constant barrage of chaos.

I'm really wanting to go all natural with their birth and early moments to attempt to facilitate a healthy bonding and nursing relationship but I keep getting hung up on the very real possibility that I will "need" to be sectioned or they will end up spending time in NICU for something or other. It's just scary because then the control is out of my hands completely and there can be some real turds managing things (wanted to rage at the derpy LC story from earlier).

MockTurtle fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 14, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We started Jasper on a sleep routine when he was just a little more than a month old after he decided not to sleep for 24 hours. We let him nap during the day whenever he wanted to try and sort that out, but bedtime started at 7:30 with a bath and bedtime routine until he fell asleep. The first month of it was pretty horrible. Sometimes it would take till 10 or later until he would go to sleep. I would just sit in the bedroom with him swaddled and offer him a bottle and rock or bounce him and comfort him if he was crying. He would cry for a long time sometimes, but he would be fed, changed, swaddled, burped with gas drops so there wasn't much else to do other than hold him and try to soothe him. He slowly got it to where it would take an hour and a half then an hour and then 45 minutes and now it takes about a half hour once the lights go out and I sit down in the chair to feed him and he only cries between turning off the lights and sitting down and getting a bottle in his mouth. Much better than crying for 2 hours. He's 3 1/2 months now and does have a set daily sleep schedule of wake up about 7 or 8, cat nap 2 hours later, big nap 1 - 4 cat nap around 6, bed time at 8.

:ssh:He also sleeps either through the night or gets up briefly around 5am making happy screeching noises and then goes back to sleep. I think its because 3 nights out of the week I have to get up at 5am to go to work. I try to be as quiet as I can, but I think I wake him up sometimes. I don't like to talk about it because I don't want to jinx it.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

My wife planned on breastfeeding exclusively, but she has had difficulty producing enough milk. Because of this, we have started to supplement her breastmilk with formula.

Here's the question - We received a TON of free formula in the mail in the months leading up to the delivery and I feel like it would be bad to have it all go to waste. At the same time, I'm not sure if it's good to switch types of formula once you have already started on something else.

Right now, we're using the Enfamil Gentle Ease, but we have a few big containters of Similac (two variations), another Enfamil (a different variation), and two containers of Gerber.

If we used all of this, we wouldn't have to purchase formula for quite a while. I just want to make sure this isn't a big "no-no".

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Acrolos posted:

My wife planned on breastfeeding exclusively, but she has had difficulty producing enough milk. Because of this, we have started to supplement her breastmilk with formula.

Here's the question - We received a TON of free formula in the mail in the months leading up to the delivery and I feel like it would be bad to have it all go to waste. At the same time, I'm not sure if it's good to switch types of formula once you have already started on something else.

Right now, we're using the Enfamil Gentle Ease, but we have a few big containters of Similac (two variations), another Enfamil (a different variation), and two containers of Gerber.

If we used all of this, we wouldn't have to purchase formula for quite a while. I just want to make sure this isn't a big "no-no".

Some babies are fine trying different kinds. If yours starts to act fussy on one type I would switch back to the other type.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks a ton for all the advice. We tried the rocker, the yoga ball,swaddle,no swaddle, clothes,no clothes....the only thing we didn't do was the car ride. Probably not a good idea since we were so sleep deprived. We ended up giving her a warm bath and it calmed her down enough that she ended up sleepinga half hour later.

what we really want to know is why at about the same time and only at night she starts fussing like this. Is this that "witching hour"?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Acrolos posted:

Sometimes it can take up a week to see if there is a bad reaction to a new formula. Having said that I'd possibly try to do the non-gentle stuff first and then work your way to it if it turns out it's needed.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We buy our formula on Amazon because its a lot cheaper by the case. We use the Earth's best sensitive formula and the price on amazon for 4 is basically buy 3 get 1 free at store prices.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Thanks a ton for all the advice. We tried the rocker, the yoga ball,swaddle,no swaddle, clothes,no clothes....the only thing we didn't do was the car ride. Probably not a good idea since we were so sleep deprived. We ended up giving her a warm bath and it calmed her down enough that she ended up sleepinga half hour later.

what we really want to know is why at about the same time and only at night she starts fussing like this. Is this that "witching hour"?

There are a lot of possible explanations for why it happens, but know that is is SO common and it will pass! This might be helpful reading for you guys: http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Excellent! Thanks a ton, I'll make her read this and we'll try what is listed.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Jastiger posted:

A possible alternative to a car ride for the sleep deprived - pop the baby in her car seat and put that on top of the running clothes dryer or washing machine. Added bonus - you can double-task and keep the laundry going through!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ratatozsk posted:

A possible alternative to a car ride for the sleep deprived - pop the baby in her car seat and put that on top of the running clothes dryer or washing machine. Added bonus - you can double-task and keep the laundry going through!

Obviously, make sure you're within arms' reach at all times if you're doing this. The number of deaths and injuries due to falls from carseats bring placed on things is surprisingly high.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Hey guys,

Any suggestions on a good baby sling for my wife? I'd also be interested in finding a baby carrier for myself, if anyone knows of one that would fit a large guy like myself (about 300 pounds, and everything is geared toward the L/XL level at the most, while I wear a 3XL).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Acrolos posted:

Hey guys,

Any suggestions on a good baby sling for my wife? I'd also be interested in finding a baby carrier for myself, if anyone knows of one that would fit a large guy like myself (about 300 pounds, and everything is geared toward the L/XL level at the most, while I wear a 3XL).

Go to Babies 'R Us and try on a bunch of different ones, and buy whichever one your baby tolerates. It is very much a (baby's) personal preference thing. Our little guy wouldn't tolerate an Ergo at all, would only hang out in the Moby for about 20 minutes tops, but I can take him on an hour-long walk in the Bjorn without a fuss.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
If you both want to use the same carrier, you can look into a Moby wrap, or a woven wrap. Or a ring sling. But you never know if your baby will like them. If you know someone who has one, ask them to let you try it?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Acrolos posted:

Hey guys,

Depending on where you live, try searching for "babywearers"/"babywearing" or some similar permutation. There's a group in our area that meets weekly to share advice on different setups and they have a "lending library" of a bunch of different slings/carriers for people to try out. I recognize that availability may be pretty region specific, but my wife found this group invaluable.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Ratatozsk posted:

Depending on where you live, try searching for "babywearers"/"babywearing" or some similar permutation. There's a group in our area that meets weekly to share advice on different setups and they have a "lending library" of a bunch of different slings/carriers for people to try out. I recognize that availability may be pretty region specific, but my wife found this group invaluable.

Seconding this.

I hated the ring sling when my son was an infant and preferred a stretchy wrap (a Moby or Boba Wrap). He's just now tolerating the ring sling since he's much better at holding himself upright, thus making it much more comfortable for me to carry him that way since he just splays his legs around my side. We didn't use a structured carrier (Ergo) until he was around 4 months or so. Each carrier has a benefit in itself. I find the sling to be the fastest and easiest to use when I need something quick. I've also done a lot of baby wearing and a ring sling can take some time to get used to the point of using it properly (there's tons of info on proper baby wearing online including lots of videos). This summer I plan on using a woven gauze wrap which I also enjoy.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Acrolos posted:

Hey guys,

Paxbaby.com rents out baby carriers for you to try for a pretty good price, or at least they used to. Haven't been back to the site since I bought my Beco Gemini from them 2 years ago but they were awesome.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
I had my twenty week scan today, and the woman doing it forgot to check the sex! She'd said beforehand that she would tell us, so my husband and I were holding our breath. She took a bunch of measurements, made some notes, printed some pictures, and then put away the ultrasound wand and started to leave. I said, "So... could you not tell if it was a boy or a girl?" and she jumped and then laughed and rushed back to check. All the anatomy measurements look normal, and it turns out we're having a girl, which we're both really happy about.

Now that we know the sex, things are starting to feel a lot more real and impending. I don't have any baby experience and am feeling a bit at sea. Does anybody know of any good general overviews for how to prepare for a baby? Calendars, to-do lists, books, websites...?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Seven for a Secret posted:

I had my twenty week scan today, and the woman doing it forgot to check the sex! She'd said beforehand that she would tell us, so my husband and I were holding our breath. She took a bunch of measurements, made some notes, printed some pictures, and then put away the ultrasound wand and started to leave. I said, "So... could you not tell if it was a boy or a girl?" and she jumped and then laughed and rushed back to check. All the anatomy measurements look normal, and it turns out we're having a girl, which we're both really happy about.

Now that we know the sex, things are starting to feel a lot more real and impending. I don't have any baby experience and am feeling a bit at sea. Does anybody know of any good general overviews for how to prepare for a baby? Calendars, to-do lists, books, websites...?

There was a book that my wife and I found to cover almost everything through our pregnancy - I left a little write-up on it a few months back.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Hi guys. What baby things should I be bringing to the hospital with me? I'm a complete space cadet and at this point can't manage the simplest of tasks without forgetting something.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Seven for a Secret posted:

The best thing you can do is find out if the hospital you're delivering at offers a parenting/preparing for baby class. Mine had a couple of options. You could do 2 classes a week for short periods of time, or just an all day Saturday class (which was what we chose). It went over all the basics including infant CPR, breastfeeding, breathing techniques, changing baby, etc. Pretty invaluable. They also included a hospital tour of the rooms/nursery. It'll vary by hospital, obviously, but ours was free.

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Hi guys. What baby things should I be bringing to the hospital with me? I'm a complete space cadet and at this point can't manage the simplest of tasks without forgetting something.

Just baby things, or your things, too? For just baby some onesies (2 per day, likely), mittens, swaddle blanket, and a breastfeeding pillow. Find out if your hospital supplies things like diapers and wipes. Mine did so we didn't need to bring any. They also provided receiving blankets and hats.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 20, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 21, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Has anyone here tried sleep training with the Sleepeasy Solution? We're about 3 days in and having some issues with transitioning into the day.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How old is your baby? All the sleep easy stuff says not to try using it till your kid is older than 4 months.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Your baby is 3 months old. Sleep training at that age (or any age if it involves leaving the child to cry, in my opinion) is silly. He should still be eating at night, and realistically it's NORMAL for most kids to wake during the night well into the 1st year and beyond.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Wait, is the baby 3 months or 3 DAYS old? If you have a newborn, it's normal for them to have days and nights confused. You pretty much have to feed on demand and deal with it, there's not much you can do.

Edit: 3 months old. I agree with Chickalicious.

Twatty Seahag fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 20, 2013

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
So, well into week 40 and this baby does not want to come out. I don't know. Guess I'm super comfortable to live in or something. I go in Friday to talk about induction but I was really hoping it wouldn't come to that. Are all first babies this stubborn?! Little dude is just cozy as can be.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dandy Shrew posted:

So, well into week 40 and this baby does not want to come out. I don't know. Guess I'm super comfortable to live in or something. I go in Friday to talk about induction but I was really hoping it wouldn't come to that. Are all first babies this stubborn?! Little dude is just cozy as can be.

It's pretty common to go past your due date. Sucks though. I'd avoid induction unless medically necessary, it's better to go into labor on your own. I was 41 weeks 4 days with my son and 42 weeks with my daughter. They had me come in to check that the baby was ok frequently towards the end.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama

Dandy Shrew posted:

At least you avoided a St. Patrick's Day birthday!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Dandy Shrew posted:

Get acupuncture, have lots of sex, watch some sappy romantic movies that make you cry, go for walks, etc.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
28 weeks today... hello third trimester! I also turn 37 tomorrow so, whoa. I had my 1 hr glucose tolerance test last Wednesday and was told they'd have results within 2-3 days and would only call if I failed it and I haven't heard back so woo! I was weirdly convinced that since everything has gone so smoothly, that I was going to have GD or preeclampsia. I was really thin before I got pregnant but my BP was borderline high--quitting smoking and quitting drinking dropped it right down, it's been consistently 110/60ish the past 3 months.

My first of three 1.5 hr childbirth prep classes is next week, I'm nervous!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Lullabee posted:

First, find out what your delivery place provides. You'll need diapers, wipes, hats, clothes for your kid. Mine provided all of these, so I just brought two going home outfits (incase he was too big for newborn) and my boppy, which was amazing in keeping him off my csection area. Carseat of course. I think that's about it. At least, as far as basic needs.

Here's a question for you gals! What do you do when you don't have a car? I live in Chicago and am happily car-free, relying on our pretty drat great public transit system. When I had to have a minor surgery (or run any errands, or whatever) we simply get a cab or rent a zipcar (by the hour car rental).

This is completely theoretical, but what if I had a baby, and needed to get home from the hospital after giving birth? Would you take brand-new-baby on the train/bus? Hold it in the backseat of the cab (this sounds like it would be dangerous). Or ??

This would be assuming that you don't have, or plan, on buying a car. I guess maybe you'd buy a carseat just for these rare occasions? Seems like an unecessary expense, because I would certainly plan on wearing my babe and feel fine about taking it on public transit with me...

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

EVG posted:

Here's a question for you gals! What do you do when you don't have a car? I live in Chicago and am happily car-free, relying on our pretty drat great public transit system. When I had to have a minor surgery (or run any errands, or whatever) we simply get a cab or rent a zipcar (by the hour car rental).

This is completely theoretical, but what if I had a baby, and needed to get home from the hospital after giving birth? Would you take brand-new-baby on the train/bus? Hold it in the backseat of the cab (this sounds like it would be dangerous). Or ??

This would be assuming that you don't have, or plan, on buying a car. I guess maybe you'd buy a carseat just for these rare occasions? Seems like an unecessary expense, because I would certainly plan on wearing my babe and feel fine about taking it on public transit with me...

We don't have a car. First kid we took home via tram and metro train. We did get a car seat eventually, for when we ride in other people's cars. If we take a taxi we just ask for one with a car seat when we call, and they ask how much the child weighs.

e: no, I would never ever take a child in a car without a car seat. That is illegal and dangerous.

VVV it depends on the public transportation system and time of day. I would avoid a crowded subway in rush hour with a newborn, but we went home at like noon and it was fine.

Oh and hospital won't let you home without a car seat, really? What if you don't have a car?

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

EVG posted:

Honestly I would buy a car seat and plan on a zip car rental to get home. 1., many hospitals won't let you leave without a car seat; 2. Dealing with public transport after having just given birth sounds pretty hellish, not to mention I'd be wary of having an unvaccinated newborn on the subway (judging by the NYC subway, in any case). You can get a decent car seat without spending a ton of money, and it is extremely helpful to have one and know how to install and use it. Holding your baby in the back seat of a cab is a terrible, completely unsafe idea and illegal in any case.