Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

UnknownMercenary posted:

I would change charge force and damage to radius at rank 4. Staggering 3 targets is better IMO, and breaking the 1000N is enough to stagger Phantoms. 1500-2000 is required for other bosses/Platinum and not really worth the effort.

I don't find Pull to be all that great without at least 4 ranks, so I skip it on both Drells completely.

Yeah, good point on charge. I almost always use radius, not even sure why I put force/damage there but :confused: it was late.

Pull is a utility "sometimes" power - yank a guardian shield, put a Phantom into the shield stance, whatever. I think three points is all it merits for occasional - like, once a game, maybe - use. It's good when you need it, not used 90% of the time.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Use a cyclonic modulator 3. He's going to be squishy no matter what if you want to use his arrows; speccing fitness for health isn't going to change that, but going full melee damage is going to make arrows insane.

agreed. I have so many cyclonics I'm not going to use before I quit this game, putting them on a Talon every round is no big deal.

hell putting them on everything every round is no big deal.

Dilb posted:

Concussive arrows add a base 25 to each arrow, and aren't that good for damage, even against barriers.

Conc arrows debuff if you take chill at 5 and have more force than AP which means more stagger. Also they obliterate barriers even on gold praetorians so I disagree.

Psion fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellicopter
Jul 1, 2007

Now with kinder, gentler, machine gun hand!
I'm having a really hard time justifying keeping dark sphere on the collector. It seems like it's only good for blowing up hordes of assault troopers and husks and that throwing it at anything real will see it either doing laughable damage or reaching the target just as someone else guns it down. I know it primes things for the bees but so does DC and DC doesn't have a million year cooldown or a flight speed measured in inches per hour.

What I'm thinking is why bother trying to prime with the clumsy sphere when you can just DC something, nail it with bees then kill it with your weapon, DC jumps, more bees + weapon and so on. If it's a boss you just DC>bees repeatedly like a normal adept, shooting in your cooldown if there's room. Cutting DS entirely would let you spec fully into both passives so you could get full weapon or power damage and full fitness or ascension stance. It also opens up the possibility of full fitness + 40% damage reduction bees. I'm trying pretty hard to think of a reason why this route wouldn't be massively better than anything to do with dark sphere and so far the best reason I can come up with is just that Dark Sphere is his unique power, not using it makes the character more boring, and on those rare occasions when it does actually work it's very satisfying.

edit: Something like this http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Adept/AwakenedCollector/ALNLP//////

Yellicopter fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 15, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yellicopter posted:

What I'm thinking is why bother trying to prime with the clumsy sphere when you can just DC something, nail it with bees then kill it with your weapon

Because you can do all three. Sphere can prime an entire spawn of enemies in one go and it has no cooldown.

Talon Merc with only 3 in Cain Mines is just fine.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Shield gate is only restored by time. Losing your gate, then shield boosting (or stim packing or EDI stimming) will restore your sheilds, but does NOT restore the gate and you can die instantly to the next damage burst. The only way to get your shield gate back is to wait 4 - 4.5 seconds after they break for your shields to regen naturally, or stack a bunch of shield regen bonuses to skip the wait.
This explains so much.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Psion posted:

Conc arrows debuff if you take chill at 5 and have more force than AP which means more stagger. Also they obliterate barriers even on gold praetorians so I disagree.

AP arrows do more damage to barriers than concussive arrows. Concussive just get a 150% bonus against barriers, which doesn't make up for the fact that AP arrows do 3 times the base damage (and don't have a penalty against barriers either).

Instead of staggering/ragdolling, AP arrows just kill the enemy outright.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Does anyone remember if the tech burst changes applied retroactively to the singleplayer?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
^ Tech burst and fire explosion seem to work just like MP now, but for some reason cryo explosion seems to still require the target to die from the detonator.

E; In general a lot of the MP changes have gone across and others haven't for seemingly no reason. :confused:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Moola posted:

^ Tech burst and fire explosion seem to work just like MP now, but for some reason cryo explosion seems to still require the target to die from the detonator.

That's just because there's no Snap Freeze in SP, and both Cryo Blast and Cryo Ammo require the enemy to fully freeze before they can be cryo exploded. Which, when you combine the fact that they have to be down to health to even start freezing, with your teammates' tendency to fire at anything outside of cover, will probably mean they're near dead anyway.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I don't bother with the fury because we have the Valkyrie now. :dukedog:

Valkyrie is a Fury for pussies :smug:

Seriously though the Fury is a goddamn amazing kit, just because she's so versatile. If your team has your back then you can do psycho kamikaze attacks into spawns. If they don't you can hit-and-run DoT stuff with Dark Channel like a champ. Her mobility is fantastic and lets you escape suppressing fire very handily. Pack a Scorpion for stunlocking and a Hurricane for bosses, with ULM you get 200% cooldowns and you can mod both weapons with a power amp to really bring the pain. Pack a Geth Scanner and she's absolutely broken, unless of course the controls flip out and teleport you through a wall into a bunch of enemies when you're trying to take cover.

Plus it's funny playing a Fury in Bronze because just standing around in the middle of a spawn for a bit causes everything to drop dead. I (probably) pissed off a bunch of Bronze pubbies last night by doing nothing except walking around and just standing next to things on non-objective waves.

The only drawback is that you do need to host.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, so what's a good caster gun bar the Acolyte?

As far as pistols/SMGs go I have the Carnifex (makes my cooldowns way too long though), Tempest, Shuriken, Predator and Eagle (plus Acolyte, as mentioned).

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

As far as pistols/SMGs go I have the Carnifex (makes my cooldowns way too long though), Tempest, Shuriken, Predator and Eagle (plus Acolyte, as mentioned).

Eagle is pretty good for casters, it's fairly light and has a good ammo capacity.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anything except the Shuriken. The Tempest I would only use on casters who are going to be up in faces though (asari vanguard maybe?), and at that range I'd recommend a Hurricane if you had it. The Eagle is nice as a full-auto at any range, and the Predator can put out pretty respectable DPS at X (which isn't hard to get) if you can click fast enough.

E: Semi-auto does not mean full auto. :downs:

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 15, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Random question, but what's the max number of revives you can field in any one game? I was playing on Plat the other day with a bunch of pubbies. One guy was running around with an EDIbot and during round 4 or so, he was the only one standing. He then proceeded to die and revive a good 30+ times in that one round, plus god knows how many other times when he was just running around. Was he using an exploit, or had he just picked up dozens of Medigel stock+1 cards?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Random question, but what's the max number of revives you can field in any one game? I was playing on Plat the other day with a bunch of pubbies. One guy was running around with an EDIbot and during round 4 or so, he was the only one standing. He then proceeded to die and revive a good 30+ times in that one round, plus god knows how many other times when he was just running around. Was he using an exploit, or had he just picked up dozens of Medigel stock+1 cards?

EDI's Repair Matrix ability consumes grenades to give a bunch of bonuses, one of which is a free revive should you be downed under the effect of the power. So he wasn't cheating at all.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dr. Abysmal posted:

EDI's Repair Matrix ability consumes grenades to give a bunch of bonuses, one of which is a free revive should you be downed under the effect of the power. So he wasn't cheating at all.

Ahh, that explains that. He was hanging around the Box of Shame as well, so the ammo crate there would've kept him going the whole time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think Medigel caps out at 6 per round, to partially answer the other bit of your question.

e: plus any gear cards you're using to increase it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Play a few games with the Eagle. It's light and fires fast so it can deal with shields, etc. pretty evenly on most of the difficulties. It's a bit of a pain to aim when you're just starting out with it, but it's not too bad and so long as you're primarily relying on your powers, you'll get some good mileage out of the combo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Play a few games with the Eagle. It's light and fires fast so it can deal with shields, etc. pretty evenly on most of the difficulties. It's a bit of a pain to aim when you're just starting out with it, but it's not too bad and so long as you're primarily relying on your powers, you'll get some good mileage out of the combo.

It's basically what I've been using on all my power-heavy classes - the recoil is nice and easy to control. It was literally the first weapon I got, so I was wondering if I ought to change at all now that I've unlocked a few things.

Are all the N7 weapons straight up better than the other guns, or is it just this way for a couple of them?

Also, is there a list of items by rarity? I found one but it obviously dates back to before the majority of the DLC.

e; vv cool, thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 16, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Are all the N7 weapons straight up better than the other guns, or is it just this way for a couple of them?

No, the Hurricane is a super standout but the rest are good but not ludicrously the best.

To see item rarity just look up your manifest: http://social.bioware.com/n7hq

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I thought for sure the AIU would be the bad pubbie magnet like the TGI was with Retaliation, but I am seeing lovely Juggernauts in pretty much every public Gold lobby.

No, idiot, you can't stand in front of a pair of Praetorians and melee them to death.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just unlocked the Vorcha Sentinel and took him for a spin. :stare:

Spec'd for health regen and after killing 3-4 dudes, I was able to stand in front of an Atlas and take it for about ten seconds.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!
Another idea for a game:

First Contact War
Generihumans with Lancers only vs Reapers killing Marauders only until they're all down.

Relay 314 Incident
Generiturians with Phaestons only vs Cerberus.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I got a Valkyrie VI out of a Reserves Pack today, the first commendation weapon to come like that for me since they lumped them all in. It was instead of level IV ammo though, so I'm a little confused as to whether to be sad or happy.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

UnknownMercenary posted:

I thought for sure the AIU would be the bad pubbie magnet like the TGI was with Retaliation, but I am seeing lovely Juggernauts in pretty much every public Gold lobby.

No, idiot, you can't stand in front of a pair of Praetorians and melee them to death.

I'm keeping them occupied so YOU can kill them.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Doc Dee posted:

That reminds me of a game I was playing last week: guy was playing a Juggernaut and liberally using its heavy melee on anything and everything. Normally whenever I see that, I take the opportunity to help kill their target so they can tie up another enemy. I've had some great games where the Geth player picks up on this and we frolic around the map ripping everything apart, but this one guy... we all get the same rewards at the end of the day, so why in the gently caress would you even remotely care about killstealing? We're playing Gold, anything that makes the enemy dead faster is a good thing!

I try and be a good team player, but seriously, gently caress guys like that.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That reminds me of a game I was playing last week: guy was playing a Juggernaut and liberally using its heavy melee on anything and everything. Normally whenever I see that, I take the opportunity to help kill their target so they can tie up another enemy. I've had some great games where the Geth player picks up on this and we frolic around the map ripping everything apart, but this one guy... we all get the same rewards at the end of the day, so why in the gently caress would you even remotely care about killstealing? We're playing Gold, anything that makes the enemy dead faster is a good thing!

I try and be a good team player, but seriously, gently caress guys like that.

The only thing I could see him getting mildly upset about is if he chose the heavy melee evolution that gives you a speed boost after each kill. Even then it's not a vital part of the playstyle like with Vorcha or Krogans, he should've been grateful to have backup.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Doc Dee posted:

Oh, is that why every piece of poo poo Juggy waddles into the closest boss spawn to unceremoniously die? :thumbsup:

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
I wish more geth juggernauts would actually use the siege pulse to set off explosions, that seems to be the only worthwhile thing the class actually does other then staying alive, which other people do fine without sacrificing all their speed and damage output.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I have not yet played a single round as a Jugg, what do you guys recommend for someone who's normally good enough for Drell and wants something fun?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Elotana posted:

I have not yet played a single round as a Jugg, what do you guys recommend for someone who's normally good enough for Drell and wants something fun?

If you want to have fun do not play as a Juggernaut UNLESS you have a team of people who communicate well and are set up to do massive tech or biotic explosions. The Juggernaut's main role is to tank/draw aggro of mobs while the rest of the team blows them up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh, is that why every piece of poo poo Juggy waddles into the closest boss spawn to unceremoniously die? :thumbsup:

They do it to stop their projectile attacks from loving you or him up. :rolleyes:

But yea what a stupid fucker, depending on this team? Christ who does that poo poo.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Siege pulse isn't the most damaging power out there but with the damage upgrades and final +% vs. barriers and such evolution it's a nice power to fire off between geth shotgun blasts and arc over cover or around corners. Or just keep the blasts charged if you suddenly need to take. If you're going to play it like a mobile artillery piece I think planting a hex shield and firing over it is more useful than the turret. Hex shield has a couple of evolutions that can set up tech bursts for you too but the enemies have to be on top of you or walk through the shield itself to work so that's up to you. Shields in fitness since you aren't ever going to be draining things to death without help anyway. Of course if your team is like any other random pub team they're going to leave you to die constantly anyway, so like everyone says it's made by the team more than your build.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Elotana posted:

It's kind of in its own class of boring since it removes fun mechanics, but if you want to play it then definitely max out siege pulse and the passive trees. You'll probably want an engineer on the team but if you equip incendiary ammo and a lighter weaponyou can at least do this kind of thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52cuwzjp_k. Hex shield and geth turret are pretty much equally bad and hardly worth their cooldowns but the shield restore on the geth turret is probably the most useful part of either.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Actually, you can! As long as you make sure to keep a hex shield up, and keep refreshing your turret for that extra shield boost, you can tank those 2 Praetorians until they're dead. Which will be about 10 minutes from now. But you can do it!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Actually, you can! As long as you make sure to keep a hex shield up, and keep refreshing your turret for that extra shield boost, you can tank those 2 Praetorians until they're dead. Which will be about 10 minutes from now. But you can do it!

You can also drop the hex shield in between one of their strikes which allows you to take a hit without flinching and buy you some time to start backing away, you might eat one more melee hit but you'll be able to get away or just let your shields come back and go back to tanking.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
You can do it once, then a single praetorian will stun lock you with his melee and prevent you from firing a second heavy melee of your own.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Alteisen posted:

They do it to stop their projectile attacks from loving you or him up. :rolleyes:

But yea what a stupid fucker, depending on this team? Christ who does that poo poo.

I wasn't going to get hit by those projectiles anyway because I have the amazing ability to use cover and dodge, don't be a hero geth juggernaut.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Alteisen posted:

A Juggernaut who only tries to "tank" is as bad as a Volus who only spams shield boost.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I wasn't going to get hit by those projectiles anyway because I have the amazing ability to use cover and dodge, don't be a hero geth juggernaut.

I don't know if people here have just never played with somebody who knew how to use the class, but the actual thing a Geth juggernaut is for is locking down the enemy types that are designed to clear the squad from cover and force them to scramble. i.e. instead of having to pull out of a position and kite banshees across the map, the Geth juggernaut can walk up to the banshees and lock them in place indefinitely while the other three remain safe and keep dishing out damage. Since good players know how to avoid sync kills, know routes through maps to kite effectively, and can prioritize enemies by the threat they pose, it isn't necessarily that amazing if you have a really good group. It's most useful in situations where your teammates are competent enough to help you stay alive but not particularly great at the game, because it gives them a much bigger margin for error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
IT'S ALL A COMPETITION FOR WHO GETS THE MOST POINTS

• Locked thread