Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Dave piece kinda takes it out of "Pillman was a genius" territory and places it in "Pillman took method acting three steps too far and went insane just because he wanted Lex Luger money." With the shittiness of the business doing the rest.

From the outside it seems like a series of deft maneuvers, but it seems to owe mostly to Eric Bischoff, and really most people with decision-making power in wrestling, being total idiots. Not to say Pillman wasn't clever, but he didn't need to be that clever to run circles around the business. He ran on fumes for years and kept himself in the game by, at the core, being really annoying. Think about that. No one in wrestling was mature enough to see through that. This is about the carniest it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Dave piece kinda takes it out of "Pillman was a genius" territory and places it in "Pillman took method acting three steps too far and went insane just because he wanted Lex Luger money." With the shittiness of the business doing the rest.

From the outside it seems like a series of deft maneuvers, but it seems to owe mostly to Eric Bischoff, and really most people with decision-making power in wrestling, being total idiots. Not to say Pillman wasn't clever, but he didn't need to be that clever to run circles around the business. He ran on fumes for years and kept himself in the game by, at the core, being really annoying. Think about that. No one in wrestling was mature enough to see through that. This is about the carniest it gets.

If you're in a stupid business and you take advantage of said stupid business you're still a genius in that business.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If you're in a stupid business and you take advantage of said stupid business you're still a genius in that business.

Pretty much. It takes skill to out-carny the carnies.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I'm reading that Pillman thing and holy poo poo Meltzer's writing sucks nuts.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

VogeGandire posted:

Pretty much. It takes skill to out-carny the carnies.

Well, there's no shame in being beaten by the best.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Monkeycheese posted:

Greatest sports journalist of the 20th century!

:downsrim:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Monkeycheese posted:

He's pretty terrible, but he knows so much about his subject that it sort of adds to the charm.

Like the paragraph that ends "And then Pillman ended a hostage situation single handedly" Your mind goes "I need to know more about this event". For any other writer that sentence would be an entire article. Not for Dave. That's just a throw away sentence. But it doesn't matter because he's got so much more interesting stuff to tell you.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Admittedly, my mind jumped to some guy holding a woman at gunpoint and Pillman ambushing him with a pencil stabbing to the face. I miss Pillman.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Monkeycheese posted:

And yet still the best and almost only wrestling journalist. Who covers MMA and probably makes more money doing that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

And yet still the best and almost only wrestling journalist. Who covers MMA and probably makes more money doing that.

I doubt that. MMA may be the bigger deal but Wrestling is where his name matters.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gonzo McFee posted:

I doubt that. MMA may be the bigger deal but Wrestling is where his name matters.

New York Court system begs to differ.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Monkeycheese posted:

I swear a few times I had to reread the same poorly structured sentence four times just to try and makes sense of it and be sure I was getting the right message. I never read the Observer because I just don't care to that degree and I've always heard he was a bad writer, but that's ridiculous. How do you write as long as he has and do it so badly?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
With the death of synchtube I am going to try to continue the weekly 1996 Nitros. Until a better alternative appears I am going to do GDTs in this forum. They may not be on the same day every week, but I am going to shoot for Tuesdays or Wednesdays at 8.

The shows are only an hour so I may double up next week, then do the Clash of the Champions the week after, that way we stay somewhat at the same pace as the Observer back issues.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tuesday is best since there's no competition.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Tuesday is best since there's no competition.

In what has now become the final Nitro Synchtube (RIP), it was recommended to me that I move my just-started mostly puro/actually "good" stuff streaming to Tuesday instead of opposite Raw since other people used to do puro/lucha/joshi/US indy/etc that day anyway but since stopped. Provided a workable alternative is figured out and Nitro isn't gonna stay on Wednesday, I figured I'd take their advice. Not too much overlap between the crowds, but since I never really saw much Nitro prior to it going super long I'll just work around whatever MRP decides on.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I swear a few times I had to reread the same poorly structured sentence four times just to try and makes sense of it and be sure I was getting the right message. I never read the Observer because I just don't care to that degree and I've always heard he was a bad writer, but that's ridiculous. How do you write as long as he has and do it so badly?

He publishes it himself, so he has no editor to tell him "This sentence makes no sense, fix it."

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

rotinaj posted:

He publishes it himself, so he has no editor to tell him "This sentence makes no sense, fix it."

He does have an editor. Apparently sometimes he has a second editor take a look at it, too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

He does have an editor. Apparently sometimes he has a second editor take a look at it, too.

He has an editor in the sense he has someone look at the spelling and grammar at 3 AM. He doesn't have someone to send it back to him. It would be impossible to do that with the sheer length of the Observer though, for a weekly publication written by one guy, it is pretty drat long.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

He has an editor in the sense he has someone look at the spelling and grammar at 3 AM. He doesn't have someone to send it back to him. It would be impossible to do that with the sheer length of the Observer though, for a weekly publication written by one guy, it is pretty drat long.

It's absolutely not impossible to get an editor for something that length in the format and timeline at which Dave publishes. I've worked at publications that have similar timelines and it can be and is done often. It may or may not be possible to hire someone given the Observers revenues (I don't know how the finances at F4W/WO work) but even that is doubtful because you can find journalism interns to do just about anything for free or cheap in exchange for experience/recommendations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's absolutely not impossible to get an editor for something that length in the format and timeline at which Dave publishes. I've worked at publications that have similar timelines and it can be and is done often. It may or may not be possible to hire someone given the Observers revenues (I don't know how the finances at F4W/WO work) but even that is doubtful because you can find journalism interns to do just about anything for free or cheap in exchange for experience/recommendations.

I suppose it isn't impossible, but it would require the Observer to be written differently, at this point Dave writes it, finishes it at 3 AM, sends it to Vinny and then posts it. As it is the Observer tends to not have any Wednesday breaking news in it, if it has to be done even earlier that means its more out of date.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, in a few months Flex Kavana should make his debut in USWA. He should also wrestle at a few WWF house shows but I'm not sure what name he'll be under.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Unless something comes up, I will be posting a GDT for 8 PM EDT tonight (Tuesday)so we can watch WCW MONDAY NIGHT LIVE! I haven't decided if we'll watch one episode or two.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you've the bandwidth for it, livestream has a chatbox and stuff.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm watching the Jericho DVD, and they're going over the Jericho v. Goldberg feud, and oh my god, it's so depressing, because it's the funniest drat thing I've ever seen out of WCW and apparently Goldberg's ego was too big for it, it's so depressing this didn't work out.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I don't really think it was Goldbergs ego that nixed that. When he was in WCW he seemed to be mostly directed by Hogan and that crew so it was more likely to be Hogan/Nash/Bischoff that probably didn't like Jericho or think he could draw money in a PPV match with Goldberg.

You also have to keep in mind that Goldberg was (at least initially) very naive to how the world of wrestling worked and he figured (I guess somewhat rightfully) that since he was getting this big push that he was the big star of the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Goldberg didn't understand that Jericho mocking him and then eventually being destroyed when they finally met wouldn't be a negative for him. He just saw it all as a comedy program and didn't want to do comedy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The 1-22-96 Observer is up, but it is almost entirely the awards so there's no news this week. Doesn't mean there's no humor!

quote:

MOST UNIMPROVED

1. HULK HOGAN (98)1,221

2. Lex Luger (31)546

quote:

MOST OBNOXIOUS

1. HULK HOGAN (236)1,730

2. Eric Bischoff (175)1,497

3. Steve McMichael (19)448

4. Gene Okerlund (35)427

5. Vince McMahon (23)286

6. Dusty Rhodes (13)161

7. Sonny Onno (6)79

8. Paul Heyman (5)78

9. Todd Pettengill (3)62

10. Randy Savage (3)49

quote:

MOST OVERRATED

1. HULK HOGAN (397)2,136

2. Lex Luger (12)675

Not WCW related but I giggled:

quote:

MOST UNDERRATED

1. SKIP (126)951

quote:

BEST PROMOTION

1. NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING (421)2,638

2. Extreme Championship Wrestling (157)1,458

3. All Japan Pro Wrestling (87)1,443

4. All Japan Womens Pro Wrestling (81)1,088

5. AAA (21)632

6. World Wrestling Federation (22)279

7. Smoky Mountain Wrestling (9)180

8. Ultimate Fighting Championships137

9. United States Wrestling Association (1)96

10. IWA Japan (7)89

Honorable Mention: World Championship Wrestling 88

quote:

WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER

1. STEVE MCMICHAEL (251)1,706

2. Eric Bischoff (140)1,415

3. Dusty Rhodes (52)587

4. Vince McMahon (49)503

5. Sonny Onno (6)207

6. Tony Schiavone (1)169

7. Cory Maclin157

8. Todd Pettingill (5)138

9. Bobby Heenan94

10. Dok Hendrix76

Honorable Mention: Bert Prentice 72

quote:

WORST MAJOR WRESTLING CARD

1. WCW UNCENSORED 3-19 TUPELO200

2. WWF King of the Ring 6-25 Philadelphia103

3. WWF In Your House 10-22 Winnipeg74

4. WCW Bash at the Beach 7-16 Huntington Beach66

5. WCW Halloween Havoc 10-29 Detroit38

6. WCW Starrcade '94 12-27-94 Nashville27

7. WCW Fall Brawl 9-17 Asheville17

8. Extreme Fighting Championships I 11-18 Wilmington12

quote:

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC

1. WCW GENE OKERLUND 900 LINE COME-ONS/LIES95

2. WCW The Giant billed as the son of Andre87

3. WWF Shawn Michaels fake aneurism/stroke84

4. WCW Okerlund's 900 line tease on Blackwell34

5. WCW Exploiting MDA in Fall Brawl promos31

6. WCW Giant being thrown off Cobo Arena26

7. Incredibly Strange Wrestling17

8. SMW using racism for Gangstas heat12

9. WCW trashing WWF on Nitro9

10. ECW crucifying Dreamer8

WCW using Sonny Onno heel Japanese gimmick8

quote:

WORST WRESTLER

1. RENEGADE106

2. Jim Duggan82

3. Dave Sullivan72

4. Hulk Hogan65

5. Zodiac37

quote:

WORST TELEVISION SHOW

1. WCW SATURDAY NIGHT146

2. WCW World Wide95

3. WWF Mania73

4. WCW Pro50

5. WCW Main Event41

6. Ozark Mountain26

7. WCW Nitro23

8. WWF Action Zone21

9. Deep South13

10. AWF12

quote:

WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR

1. HOGAN VS. DUNGEON OF DOOM291

2. Diamond Dallas Page vs. Dave Sullivan27

Jim Duggan vs. Bubba Rogers27

4. Dave Sullivan vs. Bubba Rogers24

quote:

WORST ON INTERVIEWS

1. HULK HOGAN126

2. Renegade87

3. Dave Sullivan47

quote:

WORST PROMOTION

1. WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING332

They got a good one!

quote:

BEST GIMMICK

1. DISCO INFERNO69

quote:

WORST GIMMICK

1. GOLDUST119

2. Dungeon of Doom103

3. Yetti60

4. Renegade33

5. Zodiac32

6. Shark21

Dave Sullivan21

8. Isaac Yankem18

9. Disco Inferno15

10. Bertha Faye13

quote:

MOST EMBARRASSING WRESTLER

1. HULK HOGAN112

If you want to watch this week's Nitro, go here in 45 minutes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539317

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What's the story with the Mean Gene 1-900 hotline that won worst promotional tactic? Not familiar with that one since I wasn't watching wrestling that year.

And I thought WCW was supposedly at least better than the WWF during that period?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
WCW had a hotline that Okerlund used to plug with a mixture of lies, innuendo, and really lovely stuff in an attempt to make a couple quick extra bucks.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iG_YvbcEDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZcHEDZhY0

Also saw someone post how they won a game on the ECW Hotline and their prize never came.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 20, 2013

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I found a synchtube alternative called https://www.togethertube.com

Seems pretty good, and almost like Synchtube, it just only accepts Youtube videos (which shouldn't be a problem really). Has chat and syncing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Goldust as worst gimmick smacks of homophobia there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Goldust as worst gimmick smacks of homophobia there.

In what way? In what way is it homophobic to find a gimmick where a straight guy plays a deviant sexual character with homosexual characteristics who molests his opponents in the ring? Do gay people act that way? Is that what you think is a proper representation of alternate sexuality? Do you know many gay people who sexually assault others?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

In what way? In what way is it homophobic to find a gimmick where a straight guy plays a deviant sexual character with homosexual characteristics who molests his opponents in the ring? Do gay people act that way? Is that what you think is a proper representation of alternate sexuality? Do you know many gay people who sexually assault others?

There were studies done back then asking viewers why they booed Goldust.

The common answer: "Because he's gay.".

Edit: I'm simplifying what LGBT groups were trying to communicate to the WWF back then, but that's the gist. And Jesus Christ, MR, settle the gently caress down.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRayPer posted:

You're really overestimating the intelligence of Wrestling Observer readers in the mid-1990's.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

There were studies done back then asking viewers why they booed Goldust.

The common answer: "Because he's gay.".

Edit: I'm simplifying what LGBT groups were trying to communicate to the WWF back then, but that's the gist. And Jesus Christ, MR, settle the gently caress down.

And yet Adrian Street was voted Best Gimmick one year. When gay gimmicks are well done and draw, they get positive reactions in the Observer awards, when they are incredibly offensive and stupid like Goldust, they get negative reactions. It's that simple. The gimmick got heel heat in the WWF because the idea was to make people really uncomfortable by making him as deviant and gay seeming to the audience. So yes, people would react that way. If you took the same survey for Slaughter in 91 you would get "He's anti American and Iraqi." What made it offensive was how far they went with it and what happened in the ring. If you read the Observer back issues it is very obvious what Dave finds offensive about the gimmick, from there it isn't hard to imagine why Observer readers felt it was so bad.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

And yet Adrian Street was voted Best Gimmick one year. When gay gimmicks are well done and draw, they get positive reactions in the Observer awards, when they are incredibly offensive and stupid like Goldust, they get negative reactions. It's that simple. The gimmick got heel heat in the WWF because the idea was to make people really uncomfortable by making him as deviant and gay seeming to the audience. So yes, people would react that way. If you took the same survey for Slaughter in 91 you would get "He's anti American and Iraqi." What made it offensive was how far they went with it and what happened in the ring. If you read the Observer back issues it is very obvious what Dave finds offensive about the gimmick, from there it isn't hard to imagine why Observer readers felt it was so bad.

Adrian Street is a bit before my time, but wasn't his gimmick supposed to be more David Bowie-esque?

Goldust was more in-your-face, and my gut reaction doesn't give the Observer readers/voters as much credit as you do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Adrian Street is a bit before my time, but wasn't his gimmick supposed to be more David Bowie-esque?

Goldust was more in-your-face, and my gut reaction doesn't give the Observer readers/voters as much credit as you do.

If it was voted Best Gimmick I would be much more likely to find that homophobic because of the way it was portrayed. When an offensively homophobic gimmick gets treated negatively, it's hard to think the people who hated it because "WTF FAGS!!!!!!" instead of "Jesus Christ..." If they found homosexuality disgusting and deviant, they would think Goldust was great because he was reinforcing their beliefs.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Regardless, there's absolutely no reason that the Dungeon of Doom shouldn't have won over Goldust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Adrian Street, well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bhLK6XPKCs

Yeah.