Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
This isn't exactly "before I play" since I've had the game for years and installed it several times, but does anyone have any tips for Mount and Blade: Warband's combat? Every time I try it out I get a bit into the campaign and end up giving up because I feel like I don't understand the combat at all. On a horse I can make an impact doing hit and run attacks, but on foot I'm less useful than most peasants because I die so quickly. What am I missing? Are there any tutorials or something I should look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Agnostalgia posted:

This isn't exactly "before I play" since I've had the game for years and installed it several times, but does anyone have any tips for Mount and Blade: Warband's combat? Every time I try it out I get a bit into the campaign and end up giving up because I feel like I don't understand the combat at all. On a horse I can make an impact doing hit and run attacks, but on foot I'm less useful than most peasants because I die so quickly. What am I missing? Are there any tutorials or something I should look at?

No, you've pretty much got it. It's just difficult and unforgiving as can be.
  • Don't fight on foot. Ride a broke-back, three-legged mule if you have to, but fighting on foot will get you killed.
  • Don't get killed. If you're out of the fight, your normally formidable forces can pull defeat from the jaws of victory with mind-boggling facility.
  • Hit-and-run attacks are exactly what you should be doing. Wheeling around on your horse, distracting enemy archers and breaking up enemy infantry formations, is a big way to reduce foes' effective fighting strength. For this reason, Khergit bandit groups are going to destroy you, until and unless you:
  • Give your troops orders with the F-keys! Even simple stuff like "stand your ground" is sometimes (often) better than just letting your dudes run screaming straight ahead.
  • Get Jeremus. Medics reduce recovery time between fights, and you'll be glad you have one the first time you get ambushed.
  • Being captured sucks, so don't lose.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

No, you've pretty much got it. It's just difficult and unforgiving as can be.
  • Don't fight on foot. Ride a broke-back, three-legged mule if you have to, but fighting on foot will get you killed.
  • Don't get killed. If you're out of the fight, your normally formidable forces can pull defeat from the jaws of victory with mind-boggling facility.
  • Hit-and-run attacks are exactly what you should be doing. Wheeling around on your horse, distracting enemy archers and breaking up enemy infantry formations, is a big way to reduce foes' effective fighting strength. For this reason, Khergit bandit groups are going to destroy you, until and unless you:
  • Give your troops orders with the F-keys! Even simple stuff like "stand your ground" is sometimes (often) better than just letting your dudes run screaming straight ahead.
  • Get Jeremus. Medics reduce recovery time between fights, and you'll be glad you have one the first time you get ambushed.
  • Being captured sucks, so don't lose.

Thanks. But there are a lot of times you're forced into foot combat (sieges, tourneys, ambushes, etc). I always end up getting beaten down in ground combat because enemies don't recoil after being blocked for long enough for me to get a hit in.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Agnostalgia posted:

Thanks. But there are a lot of times you're forced into foot combat (sieges, tourneys, ambushes, etc). I always end up getting beaten down in ground combat because enemies don't recoil after being blocked for long enough for me to get a hit in.

Invest heavily in bow or crossbow skills. Ground melee fighting is horribly tedious against the AI, so you might as well abuse the bows. On the subject of ground fighting: Once you get to the point of sieging/defending castles you will want to try and keep your cavalry in the back away from fighting. As soon as you have your own holding have two seperate armies being trained: A cavalry swarm for field fighting and an infantry only, crossbow heavy ground group for castle fighting. Trying to use your cavalry as front-line ground fodder will just have them all massacred.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Agnostalgia posted:

Blocking I rarely bothered with, outside of going shields up against archers or to backpedal.

On the ground, I'd try to play like on horse back, dip in, dip out. Wind up a swing, back pedal/sidestep until you see an opening, then hit them. One thing you can do is dance in and out of range with a strike ready, eventually they'll get tired of holding the block and will try to take a swing at you, but you'll already have a shot chambered.

Abuse reach, I like big two handers, and try to stick near your buddies. Getting caught 2 on 1 is bad news if you're the 1.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
On a horse, the most important thing for a straight-up fight (not a war, a 1v1 battle) is speed, especially with a lance. At top speed with a good polearm and a fast horse, you can shatter a shield in a single hit, then take the guy out with the trample.

On foot, the best thing to have is weapon reach. Get a big two-hander, or a staff, or something that lets you swing wide, and from afar. Bows and crossbows are even better than that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gonna repost this, because I really want to play the game, but it really doesn't want me to:

Xander77 posted:

I'm thinking about reinstalling I've reinstalled NWN2. Any patches, official or otherwise, I could apply to the steam version? The last time I tried to play it, my characters kept bugging out and running in a random direction while ignoring movement commands.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks due all the tips here, I've played Aftermath till it gave me a choice, which I accepted. It ended there while I could've continued but it kinda lost most of its charm by then. Also the difficulty curve was getting completely bonkers (why yes, do start me in the middle of a bunch of enemies with AOE weapons!).

Anyway, fun while it lasted.

Any tips or suggestions for its sequel, Aftershock?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xander77 posted:

Gonna repost this, because I really want to play the game, but it really doesn't want me to:

I remember an AI patch that was basically crucial, and maybe a camera patch? Sorry, it's been a while, but that might give you useful information.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 16, 2013

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

In the last five pages there's a little bit about X-Com: Enemy Unknown, but I could use some more. Specifically, I don't really know how to build up my base. I've played a couple games before on normal and I always lose interest when the aliens start outpacing me way more than they probably should be.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Xander77 posted:

In the Neverwinter thread there is a mod compilation made up by the OP that covers about everything you'd need. It's located here.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Been having a great time playing through Sleeping Dogs recently and I have a few questions:

1. Do the various buffs of the same type stack? Like can I load my game, do some kung fu practice, and then get an energy drink from the fridge to get two damage buffs? Or does one override the other?

2. Similarly, does wearing multiple pieces of jewelry provide a stacking bonus to Face XP or does only the highest bonus apply?

3. This one is hard to describe - when I complete a mission and the XP screen comes up there are three icons for each of the XP types (Triad and Police). When my XP bars are doing the filling animation, each full triangle or badge icon moves into their respective XP bar, which makes me think that I'm only getting the XP for each filled icon. For instance, if I am playing a mission, and I run into a single lamp post I lose a little Police XP. Would I then lose the entire third Police icon worth of XP because it wasn't full anymore? I don't really know how that works.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Any tips for Metal Gear Rising? I can't beat VR mission 1 quicker than 1:20 for the life of me. That Gekko always holds me up and I can never understand why I sometimes I have to sit there chopping at it forever while other times the special attack QTE comes up and I can cut it down in no time.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

nachos posted:

Any tips for Metal Gear Rising? I can't beat VR mission 1 quicker than 1:20 for the life of me. That Gekko always holds me up and I can never understand why I sometimes I have to sit there chopping at it forever while other times the special attack QTE comes up and I can cut it down in no time.

I think the QTE comes up after a perfect parry, one that you set off just as the Gekko attacks.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I might regret asking this, but anything I should know for Farming Simulator 2013?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Elendil004 posted:

I might regret asking this, but anything I should know for Farming Simulator 2013?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

NO SCOPE CORNSHOT

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

nachos posted:

Practice parrying, it's one the most important thing to learn in MGR.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Elendil004 posted:

Sell your canola early, it's a good way to get a cash boost

Other than that, hold on to your crops for "great harvests", where the buying price doubles.

Bee houses/solar panels/wind generators are free money, and it's very possible to [url=]game the system[/url] with them

Turn timescale/grown to fastest/high while you wait for things to grow, then slowest/low when you harvest so you don't have to wait forever and don't have your grain die on the stem.

Just stick with wheat/barley to start, canola works out to about the same price and potatoes/sugar beets require a TON of equipment.

There's a bunch of lovely tractors hiding around the map to show you where important things are. Use Tab to find them, and then go sell them for some extra starting money

Use the yellow starting tractor with the heaviest front weight (or better yet, just buy a better tractor) with the sprayer. Otherwise it will tip over and be a pain in the rear end.

If you reset the vehicles the extra tractors and some free golf karts will show up at your farm.

Golf Karts go twice as fast in reverse.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I can't tell if the above is a serious post or an elaborate joke.

Either way, it's amazing.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

The corn extruders you start out with are woefully inefficient. Your first priority should be upgrading them to titanium.

You'll be tempted to fill your entire lot with winter squash. While winter squash does have a reassuringly low mutation rate, this is a shortsighted use of grid space. Instead, consider christmas trees.

If you have a problem with unruly pigs, make sure other animals aren't accidentally getting caught in the grain processor. After feeding pigs, examine the trough for inedible animal parts such as bones or feathers.

Not keeping your stables clean will likely result in more horse abscesses than you're equipped to handle. While lancing is a quick and relatively easy method to treat an abscess, it will severely demoralize your horses.

Hay is practically useless. I'm not even sure why it's in the game.

Rival farmers getting too much attention at the farmer's market? Don't be afraid to put some heat on the competition. Be creative.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

Sleeping Dogs

1. Do the various buffs of the same type stack?

No, but they will top up their duration.

quote:

2. Similarly, does wearing multiple pieces of jewelry provide a stacking bonus to Face XP or does only the highest bonus apply?

I think these stack, but honestly you'll be swimming in Face and Cop XP if you're even vaguely a completionist. The one you really want to worry about is Triad XP.

quote:

3. Would I then lose the entire third Police icon worth of XP because it wasn't full anymore? I don't really know how that works.

Nope. I've gotten half a cop icon before and still earnt cop XP. It's just a fancy effect.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Inside Outside posted:

In the last five pages there's a little bit about X-Com: Enemy Unknown, but I could use some more. Specifically, I don't really know how to build up my base. I've played a couple games before on normal and I always lose interest when the aliens start outpacing me way more than they probably should be.

Satellites are life. You need as many as you can possibly afford, as soon as possible. The game doesn't tell you, but you can build more than one at a time - queue up a bunch. Also, workshops are more important than labs.

When the alien base mission comes up (research the navigator crystal to have it pop), do it straight away - it's geared to your level (so there's no point waiting to do it later), and will knock unrest right back. You'll know it when you see it.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 18, 2013

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Best bet would be to look/ask here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378635

Deus Rex Machina
Aug 19, 2011

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

If you have a problem with unruly pigs, make sure other animals aren't accidentally getting caught in the grain processor. After feeding pigs, examine the trough for inedible animal parts such as bones or feathers.
Rival farmers getting too much attention at the farmer's market? Don't be afraid to put some heat on the competition. Be creative.

This sounds amazing.

Out of morbid curiosity: can you put heat on the competition with a wheat thresher?

...drat... video games do make you violent..

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Deus Rex Machina posted:

This sounds amazing.

Out of morbid curiosity: can you put heat on the competition with a wheat thresher?

...drat... video games do make you violent..

I'm almost certain that Hanks Lust Cafe's post was a joke.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You mean the game doesn't realistically simulate the dismemberment of animals???

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i decided to get Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition are there any mods or anything i need to get?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It is a really fun game though.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

This is amazing

Katana of Wisdom
May 11, 2003

I'm a few hours into Crusader Kings 2 and I was wondering if there are any quick tips to help me out. The wiki only has CK1, and the thread is gigantic and intimidating. Like what should I be doing with my council besides fabricating claims? Is it worth using the tech research option?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Katana of Wisdom posted:

I'm a few hours into Crusader Kings 2 and I was wondering if there are any quick tips to help me out. The wiki only has CK1, and the thread is gigantic and intimidating. Like what should I be doing with my council besides fabricating claims? Is it worth using the tech research option?

Council positions: the go-to is usually spymaster set to Scheme on your capital, steward sent to collect taxes on your richest demense province, marshall to train troops wherever you have the most castles, and your chaplain either converting provinces (if you have any heathens) or boosting your relations with any bishops that are still giving money to the Pope instead of you. The chancellor is more or less always on "fabricate claims" unless there's someone you really want to keep happy.

-Sword of Islam and the Republic DLCs only enable you to play muslims/merchant republics. Everything else was built in with the patch. The only DLC that expands on the default Christian feudal lord experience is Legacy of Rome, which lets you have Retinues (essentially standing armies).

-You can outsiege the AI by splitting your army up into smaller units and sieging a bunch of provinces at once.

-If a battle will be close, try to have it so you're defending over a river crossing or on hills/mountains (use terrain mode to check). Straights and amphibious landings are similar.

-Stacking cavalry will cause massive the enemy to take massive losses in the pursuit phase of battle (when they're retreating).

-If you press a courtier's claim and they're either a de jure vassal or of your dynasty, they become/stay your vassal. You can invite claimants to your court, marry them matrilineally to your kinswomen, and press their children's claim when they inherit it, netting you land a full duchy at a time.

-Holy wars against infidels and heretics are another good way to nab whole duchies, but those can get out of control if their neighbors join in to defend the faith.

-If you're kingdom- or empire-level, it can be very profitable to pick a coastal mayor and turn him into a merchant republic. Grant him the county and duchy he lives in. They won't get more powerful by inheriting other vassal titles, and they pay a big pile in taxes.

-You can build additional holdings in a province if there's room. Coastal cities can net you some nice taxes, while baronies (castles) net you more troops.

-Scheming isn't a particularly effective way to break up factions. If a vassal likes you (positive opinion), shares your religion/culture, and doesn't want any titles from you (no "desires X" opinion maluses), and isn't a claimant to your titles, they will leave their faction. Solve what you can with handing out titles and bribing people, and kill or imprison the rest.

Check the thread for other clever stuff or if you have specific questions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It seems like a standard shooter gameplay-wise, but anything I should know for Spec Ops:The Line?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My advice is to not get too married to your starting M4, switch it out to whatever drops on the ground. Your underlings don't have this problem though. There is a bit where you hang upside down and use your pistol to shoot stuff, I have no idea if you need to keep your starting pistol for that bit to work.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RatHat posted:

It seems like a standard shooter gameplay-wise, but anything I should know for Spec Ops:The Line?

Depending on how skilled you are at third person shooters, I would recommend setting the game to easy. The plot is the defining feature but late game the encounters become increasingly overwhelming and I found myself not enjoying certain sections. Setting it to easy won't cheapen the experience because the shooting isn't the highlight of the game.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Even if you are good at third person shooters, I'd recommend playing on easy any way just because how tedious it gets.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Also, the game is surprisingly open when it comes to choice: if it seems like there's an alternate way to approach a problem, there probably is. The one exception is at the mortar, where enemies will just keep spawning. However, you're ending is only based on what happens in the last few minutes, so feel free to play however you want.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Without getting too judgy about me owning it in the first place, any tips for Omerta: City of Gangsters? I'm not too concerned about the strategic bits because there doesn't appear to be any actual way to lose it (apart from loving up and not having enough money to bribe the cops) but what's good for tactical fights? Any particularly broken weapons/characters to be exploiting? I kind of hate trying to use melee combat, am I cool to just hook everyone up with any gun I can get my hands on and blast away, or is melee a supremely powerful glass cannon that I should be learning to use?

The game's pointless, I know, but I sorta dig it anyway. Don't judge

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Without getting too judgy about me owning it in the first place, any tips for Omerta: City of Gangsters? I'm not too concerned about the strategic bits because there doesn't appear to be any actual way to lose it (apart from loving up and not having enough money to bribe the cops) but what's good for tactical fights? Any particularly broken weapons/characters to be exploiting? I kind of hate trying to use melee combat, am I cool to just hook everyone up with any gun I can get my hands on and blast away, or is melee a supremely powerful glass cannon that I should be learning to use?

The game's pointless, I know, but I sorta dig it anyway. Don't judge

I only played it a little bit (because, as you say, its pointless) but melee weapons are pretty much the way to go in combat. Separate pools for movement and actions combined with no reaction fire means there's no way (for you or the enemy) to stop someone from sprinting up on a guy with a gun to punch him in the face. Baseball bats are especially good, combining huge damage with the concussion status effect with halves AP. Bleed generally useless; a flat -10 HP per turn isn't worth it when enemies have 100 or 150 HP and straight attacks would kill them in one or two turns. Cripple, which halves movement points, isn't very useful either because if you can inflict it the enemy's already in range and it doesn't impair their damage-dealing at all.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Oh, is Omerta crap? That's a shame; I thought it sounded pretty good, like the old PC game "Gangsters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Oh, is Omerta crap? That's a shame; I thought it sounded pretty good, like the old PC game "Gangsters".

It kind of is, with the key difference being that there are no rival gangsters to worry about. You can just sit back and do the strategic parts at your leisure without having to worry about any enemies or anything in the game at all giving you a hard time, there's no risk of failure. The only way to lose is when your heat raises too high, the police start an investigation, and you have a few options of dealing with it. If you have $500 (not hard to do if you're careful) you can just bribe them and the heat level resets to zero. Or if you have certain assets on the map, you can burn those for a one-time "get out of jail free" card type of deal. Or if you have none of them, you play a tactical battle, and if you lose, it's game over.

But that's it really. As long as you remember to keep bribe money on hand, there's no real risk ever. It is fun for a little while, but it's hard to play for long periods of time without getting bored.