Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Ok, took apart my taps today and now I don't remember which way the part below faces. Is the opening supposed to face toward the kegerator, or away (i.e. toward the closed or open position)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I've never taken a tap apart before but my guess is the open part faces you to let the handle drop into it. No loving clue though, just came to post and say happy st paddys to my favorite brewers!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I've never taken a tap apart before but my guess is the open part faces you to let the handle drop into it. No loving clue though, just came to post and say happy st paddys to my favorite brewers!

It slides on from the side, but it can slide on from any side as there's a square nut at the part it goes on.

I didn't explicitly intend to brew on St. Paddy's Day weekend, but an early cheers to you all!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
About two weeks ago I brewed a porter that I'll be racking to secondary tomorrow. I'm planning on adding a vanilla bean that's currently soaking in a little bit of vodka. I'll also be adding some coffee on bottling day. Do you guys think one bean will be enough with the added coffee later? I don't want the vanilla to be the dominant flavor so I don't want to overdo it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

Gravity isn't everything, there are varying degrees of fermentability. A 1.060 juice based cider will drop much further than a 1.060 milk stout for example.

Yeah a little bit of non- or less-fermantable stuff can make a lot of the difference.

Prophaniti
Oct 2, 2008

Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?
I donīt know if this counts as Home brewing, but I made some rather delicious gingerbeer a few days ago. after 48 hours I put them in the fridge to stop the process.

A day after I opened a half filled bottle only to have it shoot a hole in my drywall with the patentcap, due to the excessive amounts of carbonization. How dangerous are the filled bottles? More or less than the halffilled one?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Prophaniti posted:

I donīt know if this counts as Home brewing, but I made some rather delicious gingerbeer a few days ago. after 48 hours I put them in the fridge to stop the process.

A day after I opened a half filled bottle only to have it shoot a hole in my drywall with the patentcap, due to the excessive amounts of carbonization. How dangerous are the filled bottles? More or less than the halffilled one?

Depends. Is this the recipe you used?

quote:

Nathan's Dangerous Gingerbeer
From Anonymous Nathan
DISCLAIMER: THIS STUFF IS DANGEROUS! DO NOT MAKE IT!
Now that I've got that out of the way, here is the recipe for ginger
beer. I've been making it for many years. It is very carbonated, and quite
refreshing. Also because it has a limited shelf life (after which it explodes), it
prompts lots of impromptu "ginger beer parties" where I call several friends
to say "I'm setting o ff a dozen Ginger Beer tomorrow afternoon. Wanna
come?"
NOTE: READ ALL THE WARNINGS, and DON'T MAKE THIS STUFF!
Add the following to the primary fermenter:

1/2 lb fresh ginger peeled, and grated.
1 lemon, peel grated, juice squeezed, remainder sliced.
5 tsps. cream of tartar
5 cups white sugar
2 Canadian gallons of boiling water = 2.4 US Gallons.

Add a lager yeast starter when cooled to less than 80F, and cover. Let
ferment for 3-7 days, and bottle in Champagne bottles. Wire down plastic
corks.

Leave in a warm place(20C) for 1 week, and then move to cool area
(60F). Chill and test: open 1 bottle each week, until they start to scare
you. Put all bottles in fridge, and drink them within 2 weeks.

Use only REAL champagne bottles! Sparkling wine and beer
bottles will explode! If left out of the fridge for more than 4 weeks,
bottles will EXPLODE. Do not leave in fridge more than 4 weeks.
After 4 weeks, they start to scare you, or you risk EXPLOSIONS inside the fridge!
Set off OUTSIDE! Corks go 60-70 feet into the air. Be careful
where you aim. Cut the wire cages with wire cutters. Don't try
to untwist them. They usually go off the instant you cut the wire.
If you have a hang fire, be very cautious.
Don't go inside with it. Aim straight up if you ever want to
see the cork again!
Do not let these sit around too long! Set them ALL off within
6 weeks of making them. I'm not kidding!!!!!!!!
Have BIG glasses ready when you open them (lots of bubbles).
Never grasp the bottles by the neck in case the wire cage comes
o ff by accident.
DISCLAIMER: THIS STUFF IS DANGEROUS! DO NOT MAKE IT!

But seriously, you may have created bottle bombs. Be extremely careful handling/opening them.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

I just did a combo because I wanted it a bit on the lighter side, but I thought all munich I would be a bit too light. I'm sure you can make a great dunkel with all I or II and any combo inbetween, depending on the flavor profile you're going for.

What is a Hochkurz mash?

Thanks. The only times I've been dissatisfied is when I add too much Carafa to get the color where I want it and you get a hint of the roast flavor which is obviously not to style. I think I'm going to order some II and start experimenting.

Like Grimace said the Hochkurz is supposed to help get some additional flavors without doing a full decoction. I'm not the biggest fan of melanoidin malt as a decoction substitute and this seems to help a little bit when I can't do a full double.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Anyone know of any rules of thumb when blending beers? I've got ~2gal of a super chocolatey belgian quad style beer that I was thinking of blending off with a nice light saison to produce a chocolate saison. I'm not sure how much saison to use though. I could just mix them half and half I guess, but I'm curious if there's any info available on blending other than just "try samples at different blends and see what tastes good".

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Acceptableloss posted:

"try samples at different blends and see what tastes good".

I've only done this once, blending a pils and an IPA. I tried three permutations and one was clearly better so that's how I went obviously. It worked really well. I think there are just too many variables to really put any science to this sort of thing.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Midorka posted:

2: Is it better to dry hop cold beer or fermentation temperature beer? I was thinking of throwing the hop bag in while I cold crash them, obviously with the string on the bag kept on the outside so it doesn't sink. This article would have me think that higher temperatures increase extraction and that keeping the hops in suspension does as well. Would I be better then just cold crashing for a day to drop some yeast out, put the anchored hop bag in and wait 3-4 days at 70F?
I've read the OSU study article referenced in that link and it says that you definitely get better aroma extraction at fermentation temperature over cold crash temperatures. It also says that pellets are better than whole hops, and that with agitation peak aroma is achieved in hours not days.

Using those results I only dry hop with pellets and only for 2 days. The study shows that even without agitation you achieve your peak aroma in about a day. I'm crotchety and old so I won't go as low as a day, but I figure 2 is good, 3 days max and definitely at fermentation temperature. It is also important to remember that your fermentation should be completely done and time should be given for extra CO2 to come out of solution, as the escaping gas can take a lot of aroma with it. I feel that giving the beer a beer up to a week after the completion of fermentation allows plenty if time for this to happen. Cold-crashing before dry hopping would actually provide a chance for more CO2 to remain in solution, which will be released as the beer warms to dry hopping temperature and drive off aroma.

My procedure is ferment to completion, wait 5-7 days, add hops, wait 2-3 days, optionally cold crash. I keg though so I sort of cold crash in the keg and it doesn't matter because any extra yeast will just come out in the first few pints.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Acceptableloss posted:

Anyone know of any rules of thumb when blending beers? I've got ~2gal of a super chocolatey belgian quad style beer that I was thinking of blending off with a nice light saison to produce a chocolate saison. I'm not sure how much saison to use though. I could just mix them half and half I guess, but I'm curious if there's any info available on blending other than just "try samples at different blends and see what tastes good".

Mix it in a glass to taste then scale it up to the appropriate amount.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

wattershed posted:

It slides on from the side, but it can slide on from any side as there's a square nut at the part it goes on.

I didn't explicitly intend to brew on St. Paddy's Day weekend, but an early cheers to you all!

I'm pretty sure the more open end faces out - to the tap, b/c that is what allows it rock forward when pulling beer.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Is there any harm in prolonging a diacetyl rest by about 3 extra days after it's complete? I have an IPA that I'd like to run a little cooler than my ambient room temperature, at least for it's first few days of going strong. The schwarzbier that's currently in my ferm fridge has already been resting at about 65F for the last three days or so.

The schwarzbier, incidentally, wasn't tasting too bad when I sampled it. This is a surprise to me, because I had pretty much written off that brewday as a disaster. Maybe RDWHAHB even applies to horribly mangling a triple-decoction? I guess won't know for sure until I try the finished product in a few months.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

baquerd posted:

Gravity isn't everything, there are varying degrees of fermentability. A 1.060 juice based cider will drop much further than a 1.060 milk stout for example.

Both used about the same % of pale and crystal. Same mash temp. That's the odd thing. I'm confused.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

There's a ton of variables that would affect this. Maybe one fermentor got oxygenated better than the other, maybe one had more volume than the other, maybe one is 1-2* higher than the other, maybe one of your yeast packs had more viable cells.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Maybe the lid on one of the fermenters was a bit loose.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My Midas Touch clone seems to not want to carbonate. It's been in bottles for about 2.5 weeks and there's (other than barely a hiss) almost no flocculant in the bottom of the bottles. How worried should I be? Was thinking the muscat concentrate might cause a problem but I had my fingers crossed.

E: for more info I used a big 05 starter, primed 5 gallons with 5.5oz of tabled sugar, and bottled after three weeks in primary (1.080 to a stable 1.010).

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 17, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

The Candyman posted:

If you make wine/fruit alcohol rather than beer, it's amazingly cheaper then buying, as well as tasting a dozen times better.

You pretty much need a fermentation vessel, a food processor and your ingredients.

This is why I've been doing less mead lately. The price of quality honey is just too drat high. Around here apples grow really well along with a variety of berries so I'm going to be focusing more on ciders and fruit wines. Speaking of which, I just picked up Craft Cider Making by Andrew Lea and after a quick skim it looks like a very good manual for making cider. You can find a lot of the info in articles on his website but apparently he updated them when putting the book together.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

fullroundaction posted:

My Midas Touch clone seems to not want to carbonate. It's been in bottles for about 2.5 weeks and there's (other than barely a hiss) almost no flocculant in the bottom of the bottles. How worried should I be? Was thinking the muscat concentrate might cause a problem but I had my fingers crossed.

E: for more info I used a big 05 starter, primed 5 gallons with 5.5oz of tabled sugar, and bottled after three weeks in primary (1.080 to a stable 1.010).

What temperature are the bottles sitting at?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:circlefap: Keezer build is done! :circlefap: No more picnic tap bullshit for this guy. There's some issues around carbonation/foam I need to dial in, and at some point I want to install a drip tray. But the heavy lifting is done. I used Josh Wow's method of just putting foam insulation under the collar and letting the weight of the collar and lid hold it in place, seems to be working very well. It's backed up against a wall so even if someone lifts up the lid it can't slide off and smash into anything.

The other obvious problem is out of 4 kegs, only one has more than a few pints left and one is completely empty. Gotta get to brewin'!

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer

fullroundaction posted:

I don't have any suggestions other than to say that exactly the same thing happened when a friend and I brewed the Midas Touch clone recipe. It never carbed at all - even when I drank the last bottle about two years on, it was completely still. We primed with a marginally smaller amount of sugar but still no reason it shouldn't have carbed up.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

yello posted:

I don't have any suggestions other than to say that exactly the same thing happened when a friend and I brewed the Midas Touch clone recipe. It never carbed at all - even when I drank the last bottle about two years on, it was completely still. We primed with a marginally smaller amount of sugar but still no reason it shouldn't have carbed up.

Well poo poo. I'm assuming it's because of the sulfates (sulfites?) in the concentrate, but I re-read Sam's recipe and he specifically says to use priming sugar when bottling it (as opposed to kegging or not mentioning bottling at all). Oh well, at least it tastes good on its own? I can probably gift some of it as wine, and I'm thinking about blending it with my over-spiced mead to smooth it out a bit.

I'm just a bit pissed because it was such an expensive recipe to put together :mad:

@Doc - awesome!

@Midorka - normal ambient temps, high 60s.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Accidental double post turned into another question: there's another local homebrew competition coming up soon and they say on their website that they're using the 2008 BJCP guidelines for judging, but the style I was going to enter (Gose) didn't become a part of the guidelines until 2012. I've asked the event organizers what category I should enter it under (or if I can at all) but haven't received a response. Anyone have any guidance on this?

e: VVV I meant "flocculated yeast" but thanks for pointing that out because now I know I've been using the word mostly wrong.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 18, 2013

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Not to be 'that guy,' but it's not flocculant - it'd be trub or anything else - unless you added an obscene amount of fining agents...

As for your quest to carb, I'd let it sit another month and if it's still not carbed up, open them (one-at-a-time), take a pack of us-05 and rehydrate it, use a pipette and add in a drop or two, recap, and check again.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Accidental double post turned into another question: there's another local homebrew competition coming up soon and they say on their website that they're using the 2008 BJCP guidelines for judging, but the style I was going to enter (Gose) didn't become a part of the guidelines until 2012. I've asked the event organizers what category I should enter it under (or if I can at all) but haven't received a response. Anyone have any guidance on this?

I think 2008 is actually the newest rev of the BJCP guide, and I don't see any reference in it to Gose. The Brewers Association Guidelines were updated in 2012 to include Gose so maybe that is what you were looking at? That's different from the BJCP guide, though, and is used for judging professional comps like the GABF and World Beer Cup not homebrew comps.

Anyway TL;DR enter it as category 23, Specialty Beer.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 18, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

I had a similar problem with my pumpkin beer this past fall. I bottled it 3 weeks before Halloween and when we opened the growler at the party it was nearly flat. Made for ok pumpkin beer floats with my homemade pumpkin ice cream though. What I ended up doing was giving all the bottles a bit of agitation by tipping them up and down a couple times and then letting them sit another week or so. The next one I opened was fully carbonated. So maybe give the bottles a light shake and let them sit a while longer and open another one.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Docjowles posted:

I think 2008 is actually the newest rev of the BJCP guide, and I don't see any reference in it to Gose. The Brewers Association Guidelines were updated in 2012 to include Gose so maybe that is what you were looking at? That's different from the BJCP guide, though, and is used for judging professional comps like the GABF and World Beer Cup not homebrew comps.

Anyway TL;DR enter it as category 23, Specialty Beer.

Thanks for the info, I'm barely literate you see. Not too excited about being in a catch all category but at least I'll get some good feedback!

@rockcity - I'll give it a shot!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

@rockcity - I'll give it a shot!

Even better than shaking them is to flip the entire case 180* every 2-3 days. This avoids any oxidation you'd get from shaking and helps to keep the yeast in suspension.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Would it be okay to repurpose an aluminum propane tank as a brew kettle? I know I'd have to build up an oxide layer by boiling water in it but is the fact that it has been used to hold propane for years going to affect anything?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Cpt.Wacky posted:

This is why I've been doing less mead lately. The price of quality honey is just too drat high.

You just got to know where to look for decent to higher grade honey. Do a google search to find some web 1.0 websites of apiaries near you, you may be able to get a deal for buying X lbs, as most people would only go there to get a pound or two for their toast.

Flying bee ranch http://www.flyingbeeranch.net/ has good honey for good prices, and they use flat rate shipping boxes, so you can save plenty of bucks there. They have some of the harder to find honeys like lavender, fireweed, meadowfoam, and wild carrot.

Or if you're on a serious budget, but want some Orange blossom, Tropic Bee honey on Amazon, you can subscribe to get 3lbs per month or ever other month for like 14 bucks, and for subscribing you get 5% off and FREE SHIPPING. Tropic bee also has the Super Rare Tupelo Honey Subscription 3lbs for 20 bucks or so (I haven't tried this so I don't know if its good or not but if you're on a budge, you're on a budget).

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

You just got to know where to look for decent to higher grade honey. Do a google search to find some web 1.0 websites of apiaries near you, you may be able to get a deal for buying X lbs, as most people would only go there to get a pound or two for their toast.

Yeah, I did that search and went through every apiary in Washington and Oregon. I don't recall seeing Flying Bee Ranch on the list but even with them it would work out to $5.10/lb for their premium honeys after shipping. For a 5-gallon/15-pound batch that's over $75 just for the honey.

At Silverbow I can get it down to about $3.10/lb if I buy 60 pound buckets, but that's still $45 per batch just for the honey and they only have a few varieties. $45 is on the high-end for extract w/grains beer kits.

On the other hand I can usually get as many apples and berries as I can pick for free around here, and then I just have to process them.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Not sure why I waited so long to buy an oxynator and one of those O2 tanks, but holy poo poo was this a night/day purchase for my batch this weekend. Brewed a Belgian Dark Strong on Saturday and pumped it full of O2, within 3-4 hours fermentation had started and I was getting a ton of activity in my airlock. It's been motorboating steadily for 2 days straight now.

Pure O2 injection owns.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Well if you like your mead, as in buy it in stores not just make it to try it out. A good 375ml bottle is anywhere from $12-20 and up and say you lose 5 bottles from racking leaving you with 45 or so that's $540 if you had nothing but the $12 bottles ($900 on the other end (and Ive seen plenty of bottles more expensive than 20)). Cider is much cheaper to buy also. You can get a 6-pack of any cider for 8 or 9 bucks, so its where you want to apply your value I guess.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

hellfaucet posted:

Pure O2 injection owns.

Do you have a link to the setup you bought? Moving to pure O2 is definitely on my wishlist, I got one of those aquarium pump things a few years ago and it is a pain in the dick. Generates tons of foam, takes forever and I'm not convinced it's even doing much good.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Do you have a link to the setup you bought? Moving to pure O2 is definitely on my wishlist, I got one of those aquarium pump things a few years ago and it is a pain in the dick. Generates tons of foam, takes forever and I'm not convinced it's even doing much good.

This is the one I picked up from my LHBS. I got the O2 tank from Home Depot, in the tools section, near the welding supplies. O2 tank itself was under $10 and supposedly lasts a year or more, you definitely don't need to use much.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just cracked my fermenter open to see how it smelled (dry hopped a day ago with 1oz of Citra and 1oz of Simcoe) and holy crap it smells like weird fruit candy. Suuuuper pungent (in a good way haha).
Of course the layer of hops on top looks super gross. How long does it take for that to drop down?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Docjowles posted:

It probably isn't doing anything, atmospheric concentrations of O2 are going to max out at a certain level, and pump is only going to boost it past naturally dissolved O2 by just a bit.

I think it may just be a :homebrew: kinda thing, because shaking your fermentor for 45 seconds should oxygenate the poo poo out of the wort. I'd be very interested in side-by-side comparisons of shaken, oxygen pump, and aquarium pump fermentations. Can it really affect things that much on a homebrew level?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

Would it be okay to repurpose an aluminum propane tank as a brew kettle? I know I'd have to build up an oxide layer by boiling water in it but is the fact that it has been used to hold propane for years going to affect anything?

Yeah. Don't do that. Just buy a cheap Aluminum pot for 40bux (like me).

fullroundaction posted:

the 2008 BJCP guidelines

The BJCP is also working on revising for 2013/14 iirc, and planning on doing a decently sized overhaul - I assume the sour category is going to get more breadth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

RagingBoner posted:

It probably isn't doing anything, atmospheric concentrations of O2 are going to max out at a certain level, and pump is only going to boost it past naturally dissolved O2 by just a bit.

I think it may just be a :homebrew: kinda thing, because shaking your fermentor for 45 seconds should oxygenate the poo poo out of the wort. I'd be very interested in side-by-side comparisons of shaken, oxygen pump, and aquarium pump fermentations. Can it really affect things that much on a homebrew level?

I would like to see that same comparison but with unoxygenated wort with olive oil added as well.

http://www.brewcrazy.com/hull-olive-oil-thesis.pdf