Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

I noticed somewhat the same thing; I have a feeling that Nintendo Power's embarassingness had a hand to play in this. Sega never had an official magazine (I mean a strictly Sega-only magazine), did it?

I remember getting a free issue of a sega magazine in the mail in the mid-90s. It was full of sega cd and 32x stuff. I'm not sure if it was a one off, or real mag I got a free issue of though. I remember them heavily pushing Primal Rage and that sega cd game where you're a pencil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I've never attempted to repair a SNES controller but if the D-Pad is getting really bad, is it hopefully just a cleaning job? My roommates really beat my SNES controllers to poo poo and now I have stuck d-pads and poo poo

Also I know one of you has a bunch of extra AV Famicoms around because I asked one of you about buying one like 2 months ago or something. Which of you is it.

VV Thanks! VV

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 16, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ACID POLICE posted:

I've never attempted to repair a SNES controller but if the D-Pad is getting really bad, is it hopefully just a cleaning job? My roommates really beat my SNES controllers to poo poo and now I have stuck d-pads and poo poo

It's usually just a cleaning job... open the thing up and let all the plastic bits soak in some soapy water for a while and then scrub all the Cheeto dust and Pepsi residue off with an old toothbrush. Reassemble and they should function good as new.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Okay, I hope that'll do it!

Also, the joystick in my Dreamcast arcade stick is pretty beat... I like bat joysticks, so is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use this in one of the DC sticks? After removing the thing for the stock joystick of course (I know what needs to be done to replace the joystick but the question is whether or not this is too large to fit in a DC stick).

http://etokki.com/Arcade-Joysticks/Myoungshin-Fanta-stick-Green

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

ACID POLICE posted:

Also, the joystick in my Dreamcast arcade stick is pretty beat... I like bat joysticks, so is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use this in one of the DC sticks? After removing the thing for the stock joystick of course (I know what needs to be done to replace the joystick but the question is whether or not this is too large to fit in a DC stick).

Get this and any of the bat tops here. That sanwa is almost a drop in replacement for the DC stick, you only need to do some light dremeling (Youtube videos aplenty).

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Oh and today's haul (non artsy photo version)

The mixer was only $25 cause it was "broken" (The pins in the power connector were bent). Everything else except animal crossing under $5.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

univbee posted:

I noticed somewhat the same thing; I have a feeling that Nintendo Power's embarassingness had a hand to play in this. Sega never had an official magazine (I mean a strictly Sega-only magazine), did it?

Sega Visions, son :c00l:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

Those require a lot more depth and a different hole than japanese sticks. Do what hkr said.

I got a boxed Big Nose the Caveman today at the comicon convention. Even managed to get it at a reasonable price! Probably will be looking into one of those goofy famicom mega buys for my next retro purchase. Where do we do that again?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

HKR posted:

The mixer was only $25 cause it was "broken" (The pins in the power connector were bent). Everything else except animal crossing under $5.
Double Dash for under $5 is an amazing deal. It's also easily one of the best co-op games ever if you do the 2 player mode where one player drives and the other handles the items/punches the other karts if they get too close.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Obeast posted:

Double Dash for under $5 is an amazing deal. It's also easily one of the best co-op games ever if you do the 2 player mode where one player drives and the other handles the items/punches the other karts if they get too close.

Also should mention that the Batman and Robin Adventures cart usually goes for $50 on ebay for cart only.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HKR posted:

When I was a kid my parents didn't want to get me a snes/genesis because I had "just" gotten a NES, so I had to play most of the 16 bit era games at friends' houses. I also spent a lot of time in an after school latch key program where kids basically hung out with an adult supervisor waiting for their parents to pick them up.

One day the supervisor says she's going to bring in a "sega" and I was excited because I thought she meant Genesis. Turned out it was a Master System. I had no idea one existed but I had a ton of fun playing some platformers and racers whose names I can no longer remember. And that's the only time I ever played a Master System.

The same thing happened to me in a school holiday program as a kid, only for me it was a Sega Saturn. I had never seen one before or since then anywhere.

HKR posted:

Oh wow, Custom Robo. I wanted that game when they announced it in the Nintendo magazines and did a bunch a preview articles (I think they even went as far as a review), but then they went and cancelled the PAL release :argh:. And Jet Force Gemini is goddamn awesome. Getting ALL the Tribals may drive you somewhat insane though :shepicide:.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So I've been reading about Atari 2600 game prototypes a lot recently, and like, how do we know many of them are real?

Like there's a lot of them where a short description of the gameplay and maybe a screenshot or two was all that was known of the game before the prototype was "found", usually in the very late 90s and early 2000s. And the cartridges tend to be "found" in some random flea market or store somewhere, with no established history to the cartridges. How many of them were just some guy programming an Atari 2600 game themselves, and then burning an EPROM or two to stick into a generic shell with the relatively easily available prototype boards?

A lot of the supposed prototype games don't even function at all besides a static screen or a non-interactive demo loop!

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

So I've been reading about Atari 2600 game prototypes a lot recently, and like, how do we know many of them are real?

Like there's a lot of them where a short description of the gameplay and maybe a screenshot or two was all that was known of the game before the prototype was "found", usually in the very late 90s and early 2000s. And the cartridges tend to be "found" in some random flea market or store somewhere, with no established history to the cartridges. How many of them were just some guy programming an Atari 2600 game themselves, and then burning an EPROM or two to stick into a generic shell with the relatively easily available prototype boards?

A lot of the supposed prototype games don't even function at all besides a static screen or a non-interactive demo loop!

It's not 100%, but the eproms from the era are difficult to come by these days and very few eprom programmers can write those ancient chips so that's one way to see if something is legit. That being said, just because the chips are old and it's hard to do these days doesn't rule out the fact that it can be done today (although difficult) with new code in an attempt to scam someone.

I've only had the chance to check out a couple protos in depth and the PCBs used were very different from production units. This is a topic that I was thinking about earlier this year...I'll have to remember to ask my atari expert about it next time I see him.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
So I'm in southern CA on vacation and saw this little retro game shop. He's got games stacked from floor to cieling in a pretty impressive collection, but holy crap was it it overpriced. $80 for a beat up, yellowed SNES? $60 for a used copy of Persona 3? There was sone hard to find stuff, like Megaman X3, but the prices were on average 2-3x higher than anything online. Oh well. Any recommendations for cool game shops around San Diego? I want to check out any good ones.

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
Couldn't resist when out and about today....

Grand total around $45. Everything is in great shape. I remember selling off a massive Dreamcast collection towards a PS2 the day after Sega announced they were exiting the hardware business. Time to re-buy.

Also ordered two Saturn controllers (1 analog, 1 version 2) to go with a Saturn I picked up a few weeks ago that was bare boned.

I'm having a Sega kick.

Also got this in the mail a few days ago. Took about a month, I think it traveled by rowboat:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JJJJJS posted:

It's not 100%, but the eproms from the era are difficult to come by these days and very few eprom programmers can write those ancient chips so that's one way to see if something is legit. That being said, just because the chips are old and it's hard to do these days doesn't rule out the fact that it can be done today (although difficult) with new code in an attempt to scam someone.

I've only had the chance to check out a couple protos in depth and the PCBs used were very different from production units. This is a topic that I was thinking about earlier this year...I'll have to remember to ask my atari expert about it next time I see him.

What makes me so suspicious is that a lot of them don't seem to have anyone look at them besides the guy who supposedly found them, and sometimes the guy who dumped the ROM out of them. It's not so much people doing it to sell to other people for a scam, so much as it seems like a lot of them was someone just faking having one for the prestige.

And it's not like the random anonymous programmers who would have programmed the actual games are around to call bullshit on people who'd fake a game based on the description and screenshot released before the crash, you know?

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Nuitari posted:

Also got this in the mail a few days ago. Took about a month, I think it traveled by rowboat:

That's a badass cover!

Anyone know where I can find a full picture in high quality?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HKR posted:

As the owner of a Behringer Xenyx 802 myself, I can tell you it's approximately worth $25. It is not a good device. Sound quality is nothing fancy, build quality is atrocious.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lepecard posted:

That's a badass cover!

Anyone know where I can find a full picture in high quality?

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=9098

or

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=8653

There was a thread in SA Mart a few weeks ago where some guy was selling video games for some charity, and I had inquired about buying a bunch of SNES systems off of him, and he never got back to me. Anyway, in that thread, someone posted that they wanted Donkey Kong Country, but only if it had a specific number stamped into the back label. I am assuming this is because this person wanted either the 1.0 or 1.1 version of the game, but I was wondering, in DKC's case, what difference does it make between them? I know for Final Fantasy III US the difference was being able to do Relm's sketch glitch. No idea what the deal with DKC is though?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Allen Wren posted:

As the owner of a Behringer Xenyx 802 myself, I can tell you it's approximately worth $25. It is not a good device. Sound quality is nothing fancy, build quality is atrocious.

It is a Behringer, so sound quality isn't anything special, but in my experience they hold up to general Behringer build standards (if they work past they first two weeks, they're indestructible).

I've had one for the last 6 years and absolutely beat the poo poo out of it and it keeps going! But yeah you don't want that if you're looking for sound that blows you away. Get a Yamaha Promix 01 for that

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I was wondering, in DKC's case, what difference does it make between them? I know for Final Fantasy III US the difference was being able to do Relm's sketch glitch. No idea what the deal with DKC is though?

http://donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Country/Version_differences

Looks to be mostly bugfix stuff; either the dude is trying to collect them all or he wants to exploit specific bugs for speedrun purposes.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The weird thing is that in my school (this would have been Junior High at the tme), SNES and Genesis were equally popular, it's just that the Genesis was seen as cool, and the SNES was seen as for nerds. Again, almost a 50/50 split in popularity of the console, but if you had the SNES you were a nerd and if you had the Genesis you were already smoking cigarettes and drinking. :frogbon:

I had similar observations at the time, but in my case it was elementary school. All the "bad" kids in class had a Genesis and all the nerds had an SNES. People who did not fit neatly into either clique tended not to play video games at all.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
If anybody has a Turbo Everdrive bought from somebody other than SAG and wants to get it turned into one of their deluxe editions for some reason, apparently you can do so for $60 until April 15. I can't say it'd be incredibly worth it since it's the one deluxe edition I haven't been terribly happy with, but it's there if somebody really wants it.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

Sega Visions, son :c00l:

This would make a pretty cool poster. I wonder if there's a high-res version somewhere.

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

So if you'll excuse the incredibly blurry phone pictures I just snapped, I'll give you a rough idea of what the artbook is like.
The first bit of the book is a bunch of pre-rendered shots of the characters like these:

After that there's a section of showing how specific characters looked throughout the series:

After that there's a bunch of designer concept sketches for different characters and outfits etc.

It ends with a few pages of costume designs that various manga authors did for game unlockables. Artists whose designs are in this section are Mutsumi Inomata, CLAMP, Mamoru Nagano, Masashi Kishimoto, Ryouji Minagawa, Takayuki Yamaguchi and Oh!Great.

The artbook construction and pages are quite nice as well. It's a really nice artbook and surprisingly slim considering how much content is in there.

As for the controller, it's not great and it's not abysmal. I used it for a couple of months while I played through Tekken 6, but a while ago when I got back into BlazBlue in a big way I just went out and bought a fight stick that works with PS3, 360 and PC for $150 (I can post more info about this if you'd like since it's kind of related to retro games I guess). Here is an article talking about modding the 360 version of this stick, so I guess reference that for your modding thoughts.

That doesn't look like a bad artbook at all and I'll probably keep an eye out for a chance to get it, but unfortunately modding the PS3 stick I saw looks like it'd be a bit more trouble than it's worth unless I'm really desperate for a neat case. I'm very curious about your multi-system fightstick, however, as it'd be nice to see a good one that can at least take care of most modern gaming requirements.

On the more retro-ish side of things, I am reminded that a long while ago I was trying to draw up plans for making a fightstick that worked on PS1/PS2 games, as well as DC and X-Box, and involved having three seperate PCBs because I didn't trust adapters to not lag. In hindsight it was probably going to weigh about fourty pounds and smell of burnt human flesh, but maybe these days I can figure out a saner approach. It probably helps that since the original X-Box no longer does online and I can't think of any fighting games exclusive to it, that I can probably safely drop that part of compatibility.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I can do you a breakdown of how to do multi system sticks.

There are three ways, the piggyback board, the stand alone board and the double slot.

Piggybacks are the ones where you need two boards, one board gets plugged into another and then the cable runs into the new combo board. These are very popular and good.

Stand Alones are boards made in a country where it doesnt violate copyright law to have circumvented Microsoft controller standards. You can get one for about 20 bucks from Etokki and they work very well, I have one in my personal stick that has been wired very cleanly if you want to see pics of what a well soldered one looks like.

Double Slots use a cheaper board than the above one. Basically you take the Zero Delay board (this is the only solder free method BTW) that supports both PS2 and PS3. You then run the PS2 cable into a PS2 to 360 converter and then run that converter into a USB gender changer jack which you drill and mount onto your stick.

Clean wiring isn't hard if you read up on it. If you're using a stick thats already wired you don't actually need to worry about it unless the stock stick is poorly wired since you'd be just clipping wires from one PCB and putting them onto another. If you need to clean up existing wiring you just use cable wraps which are affordable and look good (also come in a bajillion colors).

Doing stuff that works beyond that has to be done all with a Cthulhu and correctly made cables. But if you can follow how to use a wiring diagram then you can rewire all your system cables to RJ45 and run them into a Cthulhu with no issue.

If you need a housing for the thing just buy a shell thats known to work with the stick you want to use. People dump shells all the time on SRK for like ~10-20 bucks. Or someone like Nitewalker or Art Hong can make you one.

Edit: and if you need cheap/free parts I have more random arcade stick components than god. No JLF clones but I do have some LS32s, an older Happ Competition that has a slightly modified actuator to reduce the deadzone, almost a hundred black IL buttons with cherry switches in them, a random assortment of colored ones also with cherry's, and some random Sanwa's in Blue/White with some assorted Sanwa clones that IIRC have Omron switches in them.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 17, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

It is a Behringer, so sound quality isn't anything special, but in my experience they hold up to general Behringer build standards (if they work past they first two weeks, they're indestructible).

I've had one for the last 6 years and absolutely beat the poo poo out of it and it keeps going! But yeah you don't want that if you're looking for sound that blows you away. Get a Yamaha Promix 01 for that

This is fair, mine is about six years old as well, and I'm just starting to have trouble with a couple pots...it really doesn't seem all that old, but I guess it is.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Midnight Raider posted:

The Gamecube version of RE4 is worth owning on it's own as well, especially if you like fun glitches or possibly have issues with Wii aiming.

FUN FACT: The Wii version of RE4 supports both Classic AND Gamecube controllers, though I don't believe the manual mentions this at all. You leave a Gamecube controller plugged in when loading the game, then simply unplug the nunchuk on the menu screen (I believe) and BOOM! Lasersights ahoy!

DeathBySpoon posted:

So I'm in southern CA on vacation and saw this little retro game shop. He's got games stacked from floor to cieling in a pretty impressive collection, but holy crap was it it overpriced. $80 for a beat up, yellowed SNES? $60 for a used copy of Persona 3? There was sone hard to find stuff, like Megaman X3, but the prices were on average 2-3x higher than anything online. Oh well. Any recommendations for cool game shops around San Diego? I want to check out any good ones.

I'm guessing you popped into Game ADX in Oceanside. The only other shop I really know of in the area is Luna Video Games, which now has two locations and the one time I went there had prices comparable to online, so pretty good really. Getting to see Rondo of Blood in the flesh was pretty cool the time I visited. Check craigslist, they should have an ad or two up at any given moment.

I think there's a Book Off somewhere in Mission Valley but I've never been.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

This is fair, mine is about six years old as well, and I'm just starting to have trouble with a couple pots...it really doesn't seem all that old, but I guess it is.

My main goal is to use it to better mix game volume and mic volume while streaming, if I ever get over my fear of talking on the internet.

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
Got a text from my mom. She was doing some cleaning and came across these. Wanted to know if I still wanted them.

Now to re-buy an NES (after I convince my wife I need another old system).

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

univbee posted:

Later on, Sega had the Offical Dreamcast Magazine. It was actually an awesome magazine with great features and a cool staff, and I was really bummed out when it went under without getting a goodbye issue.

Also, the demo discs that came with it were amazing, and any Dreamcast enthusiast owes it to himself to track them down.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
There was a semi official mag in the UK, I don't remember what it was called. But SEGA basically went the semi-official route with magazines because it meant they could cultivate their edgy image by having the mags poo poo on Nintendo constantly without being responsible for the backlash they would get by being assholes to their main competitor. All those oldschool UK magazines are great though. They were always weird to come across in the US because they just take low elbows to the stomach of Nintendo fans non stop. It was very clear from reading them that Genesis was the big boy in the UK and only dweebs and squares owned a Nintendo.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
A buddy of mine who works at a hospital got his hands on an RGB Trinitron monitor that came from a broken ultrasound machine. The thing had endless knobs and inputs. It was the first time I've seen an n64 in RGB (Magical Tetris) and deeeamnnnnnn I wish I could unsee it. It was GORGEOUS.

Pic comes from GIS but this is the same one he has.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

A buddy of mine who works at a hospital got his hands on an RGB Trinitron monitor that came from a broken ultrasound machine. The thing had endless knobs and inputs. It was the first time I've seen an n64 in RGB (Magical Tetris) and deeeamnnnnnn I wish I could unsee it. It was GORGEOUS.

Pic comes from GIS but this is the same one he has.

as if I actually have room but if I ever came across a 19 inch or so broadcast monitor for less then $50 I'd buy it in a heartbeat and go down the dark patch of RGB conversion.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

HKR posted:

as if I actually have room but if I ever came across a 19 inch or so broadcast monitor for less then $50 I'd buy it in a heartbeat and go down the dark patch of RGB conversion.

We're on the exact same page man. Since most of my retro gaming takes place on my 13" Trinitron I don't necessarily need to RGB mod everything and its mom. But like you, I'd upgrade to a broadcast mon in a heartbeat if I got the opportunity. My buddy said there's another one there another tech said he uses for a test monitor but he hasn't seen it used in 6 months+. If he's able to snag it I could get it for free and/or a few GB dupes. Something else I didn't realize is how squared off they are compared to consumer style tvs and very efficent space wise.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Nuitari posted:

Couldn't resist when out and about today....

Grand total around $45. Everything is in great shape. I remember selling off a massive Dreamcast collection towards a PS2 the day after Sega announced they were exiting the hardware business. Time to re-buy.

Also ordered two Saturn controllers (1 analog, 1 version 2) to go with a Saturn I picked up a few weeks ago that was bare boned.

I'm having a Sega kick.

I'm jealous. I'm currently debating whether to buy a Dreamcast or see if I can get one of the broken ones I have repaired. I bought one when they originally came out but it suddenly had this problem where after about 1-2 minutes of gameplay it'd kick me back to the system menu. My buddy was nice enough to gave me his system since he didn't play it any more. His wouldn't even load anything. Looking back, we both bought ours from the same shop at the same time, so I guess they were part of a bad batch. :sigh:

And uh, I kinda broke mine even further while trying to repair it. :doh:

Still working on that Master System write up. It's turned a lot more effort post-y than I'd expected.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Tyson Tomko posted:

We're on the exact same page man. Since most of my retro gaming takes place on my 13" Trinitron I don't necessarily need to RGB mod everything and its mom. But like you, I'd upgrade to a broadcast mon in a heartbeat if I got the opportunity. My buddy said there's another one there another tech said he uses for a test monitor but he hasn't seen it used in 6 months+. If he's able to snag it I could get it for free and/or a few GB dupes. Something else I didn't realize is how squared off they are compared to consumer style tvs and very efficent space wise.

Same with me, although the only decent monitors on Craigslist are almost 2 hours away/12" screen. I just want one that's at least 16"...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm jealous. I'm currently debating whether to buy a Dreamcast or see if I can get one of the broken ones I have repaired. I bought one when they originally came out but it suddenly had this problem where after about 1-2 minutes of gameplay it'd kick me back to the system menu. My buddy was nice enough to gave me his system since he didn't play it any more. His wouldn't even load anything. Looking back, we both bought ours from the same shop at the same time, so I guess they were part of a bad batch. :sigh:

Let me know if you end up wanting to buy one... I've been told that I don't need to own 6 Dreamcasts.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

zenintrude posted:

Let me know if you end up wanting to buy one... I've been told that I don't need to own 6 Dreamcasts.

It's gettin' cheaper to buy new dreamcasts than repair the drat controller board burnouts these days.

But yeah, all good retro gamers should own a DC, two of the official sticks for it and a good looking TV to play it on. The sticks just because NAOMI got so many good ports.
Plus if you can read Japanese you get to play one of the absolute best RPGs released in that era (that sadly has no English patch) El Dorado Gate which I think is really the last true "lost classic" left out there (now that I feel everyone is familiar with things like Earthbound, Terranigma and Rondo). It has staggeringly beautiful Amano art as well.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's gettin' cheaper to buy new dreamcasts than repair the drat controller board burnouts these days.

But yeah, all good retro gamers should own a DC, two of the official sticks for it and a good looking TV to play it on. The sticks just because NAOMI got so many good ports.
Plus if you can read Japanese you get to play one of the absolute best RPGs released in that era (that sadly has no English patch) El Dorado Gate which I think is really the last true "lost classic" left out there (now that I feel everyone is familiar with things like Earthbound, Terranigma and Rondo). It has staggeringly beautiful Amano art as well.

I was always extremely jealous that we never got EDG translated.

Quiet Feet posted:

And uh, I kinda broke mine even further while trying to repair it. :doh:

Still working on that Master System write up. It's turned a lot more effort post-y than I'd expected.

Dreamcasts in general have weak optical drives that are prone to failure. Twenty years from now we're going to have a hard time repairing our disc based consoles because the parts will have dried up by then (They already kinda are).

Cartridge systems will live on forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I remember Capcom was looking to bring it over here and then Sega collapsed. There was talk of a ps2 port as well but that went nowhere I imagine as well.

• Locked thread