Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Raikiri posted:

Shame, I'm all the way down in Brighton. Bah!

Time for a chicken train! UK Goons, assemble! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So my chicks are growing and having fun. I bought them a Chick Stick treat, which is a hanging chick cake. Are those things good for them? Because today they finally realized what it was and are decimating it,

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So my chicks are growing and having fun. I bought them a Chick Stick treat, which is a hanging chick cake. Are those things good for them? Because today they finally realized what it was and are decimating it,

I had to GIS these since I'd never seen them...they appear to be marketed expressly for baby chicks so they should be just fine. :) Did you hang it so they can try and peck it as it moves?

Also, the incubators are in place and being test run...

Some of the changes I'm going to try have me wanting to hyperventilate into a brown paper bag, but I'm going to trust in other people's high-altitude success stories...last year's weird & miserable hatch proved that what we were doing wasn't working, so gotta try something else.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 15, 2013

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN
So I went out to collect eggs today, and Chipmunk's were among them! I just had to be patient. :3:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Holy crap these things grow fast! It's been 5 days and they are trying to fly, they have cute little mini tail feathers and are seriously twice as big as when we bought them!

We ordered a large wire plastic bottom dog kennel to transfer them to. I am going to line the inside with cardboard or coroplast to keep their bedding in. But they need more room. The one we bought is 10 sq feet so it should be big enough.

CHICKUMS!!!

Also their beaks are constantly caked in chick cake. So they look retarded.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Holy crap these things grow fast! It's been 5 days and they are trying to fly, they have cute little mini tail feathers and are seriously twice as big as when we bought them!

We ordered a large wire plastic bottom dog kennel to transfer them to. I am going to line the inside with cardboard or coroplast to keep their bedding in. But they need more room. The one we bought is 10 sq feet so it should be big enough.

CHICKUMS!!!

Also their beaks are constantly caked in chick cake. So they look retarded.

Not so cute when they won't let you go get coffee in peace :mad:, Waffle is all grown up now but is still the same needy whiny bird she was in that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pQpGTGeV3Y

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, I seriously am pretty sure the girls grew noticeably between the time I left for work yesterday and the time I got home. It's nuts. Their feathers are really starting to come in, too! Now it's harder to tell Rose apart from Lily.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Starting to finalize my plans for a chicken coop and run area. Is it alright if I have a concrete pad underneath to begin with? Any thoughts? I would start with concrete and then use shavings and dirt on top of the concrete? I want to have a fortress so ....:shrug:

edit: 1/4 inch hardware cloth buried/placed into the concrete pad so it can't be dug out or dug under..

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Piscesbobbie - That's what we're doing. It's kinda half-on/half-off, but the house part of the coop is on the concrete, with hardware cloth around the edges and down on the non-concrete bits.

As long as there's some drainage, I bet it'll be fine.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Lynza posted:

Piscesbobbie - That's what we're doing. It's kinda half-on/half-off, but the house part of the coop is on the concrete, with hardware cloth around the edges and down on the non-concrete bits.

As long as there's some drainage, I bet it'll be fine.

This is the way our original coop building was and it worked great. The run extended onto the grass (soon: dirt, as the girls repurposed it), in the coop I just used a thick layer of straw and the 'deep litter' method (add more straw as needed) which worked great in the hot, mostly dry climate of southern California. I'd completely muck out the coop several times a year on hot days and hose it out, and at the end of the day when it was dry, add fresh straw.

I'd slope the concrete a bit to facilitate drainage and take your weather into account.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Question:

I keep hearing about "deep litter" or something similar. Essentially, just adding to instead of removing/replacing the bedding. Has anyone done this? Is it worth looking into or trying? I'm totally fine with a cleaning once a week, but if there's some kind of benefit to deep litter, I'd be willing to try it,

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Lynza posted:

Question:

I keep hearing about "deep litter" or something similar. Essentially, just adding to instead of removing/replacing the bedding. Has anyone done this? Is it worth looking into or trying? I'm totally fine with a cleaning once a week, but if there's some kind of benefit to deep litter, I'd be willing to try it,

Deep litter is just as you think--instead of removing all the used hay/straw, you simply add more on top. As the stuff on top does it's job as bedding/litter, the stuff underneath breaks down. I used straw in southern California, now that we are in Nevada and it's colder with nothing green growing in winter, I use hay--the chickens enjoy scratching around in the hay and nibbling green things, and stir the deep litter when they do. There was never a stink or mold problem. Our old coop had a concrete floor, the current one is wooden.

It works best in a fairly dry, sunny climate where mold isn't a problem. I used the deep litter method for 15 years in southern California and it worked great.

There is a great page explaining how it's a mini-compost heap here:
http://smallfarm.about.com/od/farmanimals/a/deeplitter.htm

I just cleaned out the coop about two weeks ago and my next-door neightbor, who has a large veggie garden, was eyeing the chicken litter I was dumping out back to help improve our crappy soil. She asked if she could have some next time for her garden and I told her she could--but to age it a bit before she spread it around! :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I've been reading up on ReptiPro 6000 incubators--small cabinet incubators at non-heartstopping prices. I think one of these just may work for us at our high altitude. I'm picking brains over at BYC for advice on people who use these at high altitudes.

But my, very pretty and overall good feedback!
http://www.reptipro.com/reptile-supplies/incubators/reptipro-6000-incubator.html

Basically a minifridge that also heats. :keke:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I had a similar one that did very poorly, it was basically the same design but a different company. I have heard good things about the ones put out by other companies though, so I guess they might be good.

Keep in mind though reptile eggs don't need to be rotated, so there isn't going to be any auto rotate/roller whatever function so that will need to be done manually.

e; oh, it says you can purchase egg turners for it separately. Nevermind then!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I've heard not-so-good things about the unit that looks like it but is red and has another brand name.

I've been reading the threads on BYC and in particular one lady who uses a ReptiPro for everything from emu to chicken to duck to geese eggs, and her technique seems pretty sound. She hand turns 5 times a day and since she puts in new eggs all the time, constantly has the door open to turn, even during 'lockdown' & hatch! She says this is what provides enough ventilation and keeps the CO2 levels down. The unit rebounds so quickly to proper temp and humidity that having the door open isn't an issue. She also removes chicks to the brooder to dry immediately after hatch to help keep humidity levels down.

You can't argue with success, and since what I'm doing already really, really isn't working, I may give her technique a whirl--it's a big leap of faith for me, though! :ohdear:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

The one I had was sold by thinkgeek, I believe they stopped making them and the company sold the designs to other companies that since improved on it.

I only used mine for some african fat tail eggs, never chickens.

If it doesn't work up to your standards it shouldn't be too hard to resell at least either to chicken OR reptile people :)

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I've been reading up on ReptiPro 6000 incubators--small cabinet incubators at non-heartstopping prices. I think one of these just may work for us at our high altitude. I'm picking brains over at BYC for advice on people who use these at high altitudes.

But my, very pretty and overall good feedback!
http://www.reptipro.com/reptile-supplies/incubators/reptipro-6000-incubator.html

Basically a minifridge that also heats. :keke:

Dang it! Now you've done it.

I was all set and ready to get me a Brinsea 20, and now you go and show me that Reptipro!
I'm looking at the 6000 model for the same price of a Brinsea. It even has an egg turner, (I wonder if chicken eggs will fit?)

I guess it doesn't have a humidity indicator though.... If it did I think would definitely buy the reptipro!

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 17, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So the Cheeps (their collective name) have discovered their wings. As soon as we remove the top from their bin they begin bouncing up and down and flap to the top edge and sit there looking smug. They are so :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Bantaras posted:

Dang it! Now you've done it.

I was all set and ready to get me a Brinsea 20, and now you go and show me that Reptipro!
I'm looking at the 6000 model for the same price of a Brinsea. It even has an egg turner, (I wonder if chicken eggs will fit?)

I guess it doesn't have a humidity indicator though.... If it did I think would definitely buy the reptipro!

One thing being discussed at BYC is the fact that the Brinsea incubator has a fan that is situated poorly--it blows right on hatching chicks, making the risk of 'shrink wrapping' (drying out the membrane so it sticks to the chick) greater. I've never used one so I can't say.

I decided that if I get the ReptiPro it will be WITHOUT egg turners, I'll hand turn 5x daily (and have no life for several weeks) and that way be sure to open the door enough to get proper ventilaion. I already have a $20 hygrometer that I use that works great, I'll just stick it in there along with my Spot Check thermometer probe. The 'ReptiPro 5000 Hatch-A-Long' thread from last year on BYC has great discussions as to the pros & cons, and tips, starting at about page 23 or so. It's a reptile incubator that the chicken people have discovered and adapted to their own use, so some modifications are in order. People are using it for chicken eggs and like I said, one person is even hatching emu eggs in it!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 17, 2013

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN

Inara died this afternoon, RIP little girl. You were almost one. :smith:
I'm a complete wreck right now - she was far and away my favourite girl. Not sure if I'll be able to do an autopsy, or even what I should do with her body.

I found her lying facedown outside a nestbox, no signs of struggle or injury but a bit of clear pinkish (bloody?) fluid seeping from her vent. She was just fine this morning - when I found her rigor mortis had set in but she was still warm. We had some particularly strained lay-cackling happening earlier in the afternoon - I know I shouldn't but I keep going back to the thought that if I'd checked on her then, she might still be alive now.

I already miss her so much and am falling apart bawling as I type. Oh god :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

I'm a complete wreck right now - she was far and away my favourite girl. Not sure if I'll be able to do an autopsy, or even what I should do with her body.

I found her lying facedown outside a nestbox, no signs of struggle or injury but a bit of clear pinkish (bloody?) fluid seeping from her vent. She was just fine this morning - when I found her rigor mortis had set in but she was still warm. We had some particularly strained lay-cackling happening earlier in the afternoon - I know I shouldn't but I keep going back to the thought that if I'd checked on her then, she might still be alive now.

:sympathy: I'm sorry, it's pretty tough when it happens so fast and you don't see it coming. She was beautiful.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

:sympathy: Sorry for your loss Muffy the Diver. I know many people bury their deceased chickens, some do necropsy. She was very beautiful and I love her name.

edit: There is cremation available through your veterinarian if you want to go that far. I've had all previous pets (parakeets,dogs,cats) privately cremated and in their own little urns. My friends however said if I did this with chickens, I would go broke. I have buried my deceased fish in a rose garden (someone once told me that was good luck). Anyway, again, so sorry for your loss. :sympathy:

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 17, 2013

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I decided that if I get the ReptiPro it will be WITHOUT egg turners, I'll hand turn 5x daily (and have no life for several weeks) and that way be sure to open the door enough to get proper ventilaion. I already have a $20 hygrometer that I use that works great, I'll just stick it in there along with my Spot Check thermometer probe. The 'ReptiPro 5000 Hatch-A-Long' thread from last year on BYC has great discussions as to the pros & cons, and tips, starting at about page 23 or so. It's a reptile incubator that the chicken people have discovered and adapted to their own use, so some modifications are in order. People are using it for chicken eggs and like I said, one person is even hatching emu eggs in it!

and if it doesn't work out well I might consider buying it from you second hand for my reptiles :D

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Aww. I'm sorry. She was a beautiful chicken. What kind was she? :sympathy:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

:( I'm sorry to hear about your hen. A suggestion for what you can do with her that you may like: Bury her in a corner of the garden where the chickens live and plant a flower bush over her. She'll help nourish the plant and you'll have a pretty remembrance of her where she lived.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ This is a good idea, then the other chickens can sit under Inara's flower bush and hang out with her. :)

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Well...crap. :( I'm so sorry. She did indeed look perfectly healthy and beautiful. It IS always your favorite. But sometimes it just happens, especially with hens for some reason during their first two years of lay. It seems like if they can get past the two year mark, they are good to go. I lost one of my perfectly healthy hens, Voodoo (one of the last two of Phoenix's offspring) a few months back to a prolapsed vent with no warning, she had been perfectly fine that morning and was otherwise as healthy as a horse. Now I'm down to ONE daughter from Phoenix, Bug--when originally I had three girls--and I'm going to try and hatch some of her eggs this month.

Do you have any fertile eggs from Inara to hatch...?

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 17, 2013

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
I've had 32 chickens for about 3 weeks now and holy crap do they grow fast! My Anconas keep jumping through the gap in the fencing we have thrown over the top of the brooder when we're not looking. Trust me chicken, it is much nicer in your box and there is nothing exciting out here. How soon is too soon to clip their wing feathers? I don't think we'll need to do it when they get bigger, but just to keep them in now we're having a hard time.

Also, how do you get them to stop pecking so hard? Mine love mealworms and will eat them straight out of my hand, but even just 5 of them pecking hard because OMG WORMS MUST EAT THEM ALL gets old quick and I really don't want to deal with them being too rough for my 8 year old niece to handle. Right now I'm letting them peck pretty hard on my hand but I bop them (gently!) with my finger when they peck at my clothes. My Dominiques and Speckled Sussex seem to get the idea, but the Anconas are being turds. Am I going about it all wrong?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Explosions! posted:

I've had 32 chickens for about 3 weeks now and holy crap do they grow fast! My Anconas keep jumping through the gap in the fencing we have thrown over the top of the brooder when we're not looking. Trust me chicken, it is much nicer in your box and there is nothing exciting out here. How soon is too soon to clip their wing feathers? I don't think we'll need to do it when they get bigger, but just to keep them in now we're having a hard time.

Also, how do you get them to stop pecking so hard? Mine love mealworms and will eat them straight out of my hand, but even just 5 of them pecking hard because OMG WORMS MUST EAT THEM ALL gets old quick and I really don't want to deal with them being too rough for my 8 year old niece to handle. Right now I'm letting them peck pretty hard on my hand but I bop them (gently!) with my finger when they peck at my clothes. My Dominiques and Speckled Sussex seem to get the idea, but the Anconas are being turds. Am I going about it all wrong?

They might never stop pecking hard when you give them treats (I'm looking at you Baba), but it could also be that they are still young and learning how to interact with you.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Check out south central michigan's most brazen cock fighter! ...well, his front yard, at least.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Explosions! posted:

I don't know with chickens, but generally it's a bad idea to punish birds physically as a training mechanism, especially since they're almost all prey species. A better method is to remove good things for bad behavior; in the case of your treats, hard pecking results in the treats and hand withdrawn for a short time. If the chicks seem to like interacting with you, you can remove your presence for a short time as well, or something as simple as standing up and turning your back on them and ignoring them.

Look into operant conditioning for more detail. You're probably looking for +R -P (positive, as in adding things, for rewards; negative, as in removing things, for punishments).

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

Check out south central michigan's most brazen cock fighter! ...well, his front yard, at least.

What are the barrels for?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

We had a neighbor who used to do the same thing. For some reason that must be the standard "set up". The barrels have a hole in them and are for the roosters to sleep in. They are chained to the barrels. It's a pretty lovely life for those cocks.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

DarkHorse posted:

I don't know with chickens, but generally it's a bad idea to punish birds physically as a training mechanism, especially since they're almost all prey species. A better method is to remove good things for bad behavior; in the case of your treats, hard pecking results in the treats and hand withdrawn for a short time. If the chicks seem to like interacting with you, you can remove your presence for a short time as well, or something as simple as standing up and turning your back on them and ignoring them.

Look into operant conditioning for more detail. You're probably looking for +R -P (positive, as in adding things, for rewards; negative, as in removing things, for punishments).

That's what I do. Both of my current chooks were very greedy and aggressive when we first got them, their favourite thing being to leap up and peck your hands (a standing leap to shoulder height!) when you're trying to give them some grain as a treat. (Hand jerks in surprise, grain goes everywhere, chickens win.) So when I started training them to get out of that habit, if they started attacking my hand before it was feeding time, I would just put the grain back in the bin and walk away. They learnt surprisingly quickly!

As for biting toes, I would wiggle them threateningly when Kali started eyeing them, and she eventually realised they were not delicious, defenceless lumps of food.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Disco Nixon posted:

We had a neighbor who used to do the same thing. For some reason that must be the standard "set up". The barrels have a hole in them and are for the roosters to sleep in. They are chained to the barrels. It's a pretty lovely life for those cocks.

Is that even legal? To chain up birds like that? And is cockfighting still allowed in certain parts of the U.S.? :mad:

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Disco Nixon posted:

I don't know the situation here but that set up does not automatically go with cockfighting. Many game birds or breeds that were used for fighting in the past are quite productive for other reasons as well (and indeed game blood was used in many heritage birds for vigor in the olden days), the problem is the males will still instinctively kill each other (heck some hens will too! I knew an Asil breeder that has to separate his chicks into one male, one female groups at 6 weeks or they would kill one another, and his were a conservation flock, not used for fighting) . So if you are breeding one of these breeds and are keeping many males for genetic diversity, show, or meat, heck even just growing out young cockerels, you need to keep them separate. Tethering (as pictured) is an effective and safe way of doing so. To assume that all breeds of chicken are docile and can run together is fairly ignorant and it makes me sad to see. Many historically important breeds require males to be separated: Asil, Shamo, Malay, Old English Game, heck even some strains of Sumatra and Modern Game.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
To be fair, I have no idea if the guy is cockfighting or not, but that is certainly a traditional set up for it. I'm more surprised the birds survive all the raccoons we have around here.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

unprofessional posted:

To be fair, I have no idea if the guy is cockfighting or not, but that is certainly a traditional set up for it. I'm more surprised the birds survive all the raccoons we have around here.

The question is: do the racoons survive entering that field? *flashbacks of Tissue attacking a hawk that tried to eat her BFF TurkeyMomo)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

This^^^ Please don't hit chickens. :( If you must punish, as for flogging or something, scoop up the offender and hold them securely, placing your head on their head and gently forcing it down a bit while saying, 'No.' sternly. Chickens discipline each other with pecks to the head in varying degrees of force (roos will zap each other at the base of the tail, tho), so making your chicken be under your control and holding their head down for a moment while voicing displeasure takes them down a peg in front of the others. They get the message pretty quick.

Youngsters are pretty much all go and no brains, however, and can be over-enthusiastic when going after goodies. I just toss the mealworms down and let them all climb each other for them without getting bloodied myself. :keke: Once they're older, more savvy and calm the Hell down, they can be trusted to take handfeeding in a more sane manner.

I always clip my youngsters wings quite short as soon as they go out into the yard at around 2 months old. With little weight and less brains, they are more apt to go over fences and meet an untimely demise. I usually only have to clip once, by the time they grow the wing feathers back they've learned that where they live is the best place to be.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

scoop up the offender and hold them securely, placing your head on their head and gently forcing it down a bit while saying, 'No.' sternly.

How does this work exactly? I remember Chido getting pecked in the eye last year. :( Any videos online on how to discipline ill-behaved chickens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Inveigle posted:

Is that even legal? To chain up birds like that? And is cockfighting still allowed in certain parts of the U.S.? :mad:

I was talking to a girl at work who used to live in Louisiana, and she mentioned that her cousin down there would run cockfights. Apparently the cockfights are legal, but the associated gambling isn't. :smith: