Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ranges from 20, which is loving great, to 40+, which raises and eyebrow. Then again I am low income bracket in :ca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

Ranges from 20, which is loving great, to 40+, which raises and eyebrow. Then again I am low income bracket in :ca:

Which bottles? 40 is entry level for scotch and mid range for bourbon.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Yeah sorry to say but you should be prepared to spend at least 50 US for a good bottle of Scotch. There are some exceptions like Old Pulteney and others but the 50 dollar point is pretty common.

If you life in Canada then my condolences because your liquor prices are hosed.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

NightConqueror posted:

Any thoughts on unpeated Islay whiskies? The two I'm looking at currently are Bruichladdich The Laddie 10 and Bunnahabhain 12. I feel like as a whisky enthusiast I have to try Bruichladdich at some point - or at least before the quality drops after they're forced to double their production.

The Bruichladdich 10 is a fantastic whisky. I have some 20+ year Scotches, etc, but I prefer the younger ones, unpeated.

I've been a sucker for the Japanese whiskies as of late. I love ALL of them!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I got a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 year cause it was on sale for 29$. I like how smooth it is and the sort of 'fresh' taste. But the smell and taste are almost too light. Maybe it's cause I've just come off of a streak of only drinking bourbons, but its almost too easy to drink, too clean. I have to really search for the finish and stick my nose way in the glass to smell anything.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Landrobot posted:

The Bruichladdich 10 is a fantastic whisky. I have some 20+ year Scotches, etc, but I prefer the younger ones, unpeated.

I've been a sucker for the Japanese whiskies as of late. I love ALL of them!

How do they compare? The Hibiki is peated, right? I love the Yamazaki.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ah okay, I am still very new to this whole thing, thanks for the heads up guys, carry on. Yamazaki you say?

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

kidsafe posted:

My opinion only, but Bunnahabhain 12 is a much better whisky than any of the young Bruichladdichs. It's nutty, oily/viscous, and while the barley isn't dried over peat smoke there are traces of Islay (from the water source?)

Not entirely true - Bunnahabhain's barley for their standard expressions is actually peated to around 2-3ppm and it also comes from the mainland. Margadale spring has only trace levels of peat in it as well.

Terroir and whisky is still not fully understood and Bunnahabhain is a good example of this, as is its neighbour Caol Ila.

duckstab fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 15, 2013

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Well i liked it by the end of the glass. Just more subtle than I'm used to.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bunna takes some getting used to, it's definitely the odd one out of Islay.

If you want unpeated I WOULD recommend Ardbeg Blasda only they managed to gently caress that up good and proper so I got nothing.
I know there's an unpeated Caol Ila, but I haven't had the opportunity to taste it.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

derp posted:

Well i liked it by the end of the glass. Just more subtle than I'm used to.

Bunnahabhain's non-peated variants are certainly not as intense as some of its Islay brothers, but that's also part of its charm for me. For availability and price, Bunnahabhain's older whiskies are hard to beat as well, with most independents kicking out some truly astonishing cask selections in recent years.

I'd second someone else's comment that the latest Bruichladdich bottlings are great, the various single-barley, organic and 'laddie' bottlings are all exceptionally good quality malts.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Oops, I was talking about the Glenmorangie I just got. Havent tried the Bunnahabhain yet.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Luminaz posted:

I like Islay whisky, the smoke & iodine taste. I've tasted so far bowmore darkest, tempest & 18yo.

Can you recommand me another one ? I would like to taste something stronger (if possible).

Ardbeg is your best bet, it's my favourite Islay whisky. My old local was famous for its selection of whiskies (and their price) - literally wall to wall and arranged by geographical location in Scotland - and they would have the Uigeadail, Blasda, and their standard bottle. If you want a really smokey whisky, then their standard fare and the Uigeadail would be what I recommend. Their Blasda is a lot lighter than the other two. The Uigeadail is a bit initially sweeter on the palate and has a far smokier and spicy aroma than what is considered their standard bottle.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Ardbeg is your best bet, it's my favourite Islay whisky. My old local was famous for its selection of whiskies (and their price) - literally wall to wall and arranged by geographical location in Scotland - and they would have the Uigeadail, Blasda, and their standard bottle. If you want a really smokey whisky, then their standard fare and the Uigeadail would be what I recommend. Their Blasda is a lot lighter than the other two. The Uigeadail is a bit initially sweeter on the palate and has a far smokier and spicy aroma than what is considered their standard bottle.

I can second the Ardbeg Uigeadail, I think it is one of the strongest tasting whiskies I have had. I enjoyed it, although I normally prefer lighter stuff like Jura.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Delivery:

So far I've opened the Springbank, which is miles better than what I remember the 10yo being.

Tried JW Black & Blue labels earlier, comparing to a standard Dalwhinnie 15 which was a new one for me. The Dalwhinnie beat both hands down in aroma, taste and aftertaste. Most one could say of the JWs is that they're very drinkable and feel velvety going down the throat but held in the mouth a bit longer the tongue is at a loss for there is no proper bloom of flavours there, just this oily mass through which bits of different tastes painstakingly leak every now and then. The grain influence is probably what makes the aftertaste such a fleeting thing in them.

Glottis posted:

How do they compare? The Hibiki is peated, right? I love the Yamazaki.
The Hibiki 12 is an excellent blend, deliciously floral and fresh. I don't recall it as a peaty experience. The 12yo Yamazaki is oaky, rich and very highlandish but IMO it would be nice if it showed a bit more character since it doesn't seem to have any particularly unique twist in the taste or the nose that would make one definitely identify it as Japanese or a Yamazaki in a blind tasting.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 15, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Deleuzionist posted:

So far I've opened the Springbank, which is miles better than what I remember the 10yo being.

Tried JW Black & Blue labels earlier, comparing to a standard Dalwhinnie 15 which was a new one for me. The Dalwhinnie beat both hands down in aroma, taste and aftertaste. Most one could say of the JWs is that they're very drinkable and feel velvety going down the throat but held in the mouth a bit longer the tongue is at a loss for there is no proper bloom of flavours there, just this oily mass through which bits of different tastes painstakingly leak every now and then. The grain influence is probably what makes the aftertaste such a fleeting thing in them.

The Hibiki 12 is an excellent blend, deliciously floral and fresh. I don't recall it as a peaty experience. The 12yo Yamazaki is oaky, rich and very highlandish but IMO it would be nice if it showed a bit more character since it doesn't seem to have any particularly unique twist in the taste or the nose that would make one definitely identify it as Japanese or a Yamazaki in a blind tasting.

Springbank is some glorious stuff. I got to sample the 21, and now i'm pissed, since they don't make it anymore. Life would have been better had I never tried it. I've just begun to explore Japanese whisky, I've found some good ones, and mentioned them a few pages back (i think).

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 16, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Drank a sample bottle of a 30yo Carsebridge grain. Overpowering smell of buttered popcorn, underneath a crisp fresh smell of vegetables and roots. Taste a combination of oil used to fry popcorn, cream and crispy wafer, and unshakeable impression of vegetable soup. Delicious but with a drawback - quickly vanishing aftertaste.

:ssh: had one bottle of Port Askaig 25yo before, that stuff's golden

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I have to thank whoever recommended Great King St. From compass box. Very sweet, honey-like mouthfeel, subtle smoke and playful finish. Really delicious. I am not generally about the blends but wow. I'd put it in the same league as some of the medium-high end glenmorangie (sonnalta, nectar d'or)

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I have to thank whoever recommended Great King St. From compass box. Very sweet, honey-like mouthfeel, subtle smoke and playful finish. Really delicious. I am not generally about the blends but wow. I'd put it in the same league as some of the medium-high end glenmorangie (sonnalta, nectar d'or)

I don't recall who it was. I do know after it was mentioned a few of us chimed in and agreed it was some tasty juice.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
So has anyone else blown $50 on JD's unaged rye? My first impression was goddrat but there's a reason whiskey is aged. Maybe I'll get used to it, worst case I guess I can dump some 7-up or something in it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

spoon0042 posted:

So has anyone else blown $50 on JD's unaged rye? My first impression was goddrat but there's a reason whiskey is aged. Maybe I'll get used to it, worst case I guess I can dump some 7-up or something in it.

Is that the stuff that comes in a similar bottle to the JD Single Barrel?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spoon0042 posted:

50 bucks for unaged spirit? Highway robbery I say!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hahahah man what a racket.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

spoon0042 posted:

You are correct. In general, there is a reason people age whiskey. JD's unaged rye is proof of that. I've had my share of various home made unaged spirits, and I don't hitnk I've tasted anything so foul as the JD unaged rye. If you are going to drink antyhing unaged, I'd take straight corn over rye any day. Rye really needs time in a barrel.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask yesterday and am really enjoying it. I'm not sure if I like it more than the standard 10 year expression though. The extra oak flavor seems to temper some of the briny smoke that makes the 10 year so awesome. So far my Islay collection consists of Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask. Any other suggestions for a <$100 bottle to try next?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I bought a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask yesterday and am really enjoying it. I'm not sure if I like it more than the standard 10 year expression though. The extra oak flavor seems to temper some of the briny smoke that makes the 10 year so awesome. So far my Islay collection consists of Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask. Any other suggestions for a <$100 bottle to try next?

Port Charlotte Heavily Peated, Ardbeg Uigeadail (or Galileo), Compass Box Flaming Heart

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Has anyone here heard of a 12 Y.O. scotch called Tomatin? I saw it at the liquor store the other day while picking up some Irish whiskey and saw this stuff, at $20.00 a bottle--the cheapest I've seen any single malt in town, also a little worrying as single malts around here tend to start at $35 or so.

Also on the subject of Irish whiskey, a few stores have started carrying an Irish whiskey called Concannon, which is down in the $20s (though I saw it on sale for $15) along with the usual Jameson's, Powers, and Bushmill's. I stuck with Powers (Redbreast being out of my price range), but does anybody know anything about this whiskey?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Glottis posted:

Is that the stuff that comes in a similar bottle to the JD Single Barrel?

Yup, sort of squat, cube-ish bottle. At one store they were right next to each other. eh, here:

And yeah, it seemed like a bit much but for a one time thing I thought hey, why not. The next time I feel like spending that much I'll get a decent scotch or something that at least has seen the inside of a barrel. (I've seen Dad's Hat Rye which someone mentioned a few pages back, that's on my list.) Maybe I'll give the finished product a shot in four years or whenever, depending on how much they want for it. :)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So for St. Patricks day I picked up a bottle of Jameson's. I previously said Irish Whiskey is shite. Not changing my opinion

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

bunnyofdoom posted:

So for St. Patricks day I picked up a bottle of Jameson's. I previously said Irish Whiskey is shite. Not changing my opinion

That's like writing off all Scotch whiskey because you bought a bottle of Dewars White Label.

Have you tried Redbreast 12? Have you tried anything that's pure pot still?

Meaty Ore posted:

Has anyone here heard of a 12 Y.O. scotch called Tomatin?

"Inoffensive" would be the best descriptor. It's not bad, it's nothing to write home about. Not really something I would particularly recommend unless you're really looking for a sub-$30 single malt.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 18, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

NightConqueror posted:

That's like writing off all Scotch whiskey because you bought a bottle of Dewars White Label.

Have you tried Redbreast 12? Have you tried anything that's pure pot still?

I've had Writers tears.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jameson's and Bushmill's are what they are. If you want something amazing for its price, you should try Powers 12yr.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 18, 2013

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bunnyofdoom posted:

I understand. I've had the popular ones - Jameson's, Bushmill's, Tullamore Dew - and I found them all foul. I love scotch and I love bourbon but those three Irish have not made me want to try more, especially since finding anything else to sample is really hard.

e: it's like tequila. I've had cheap bourbon I liked. I've had cheap-ish scotch I liked. I've never had tequila I liked and I'm promised that if I pay enough and look hard enough I'll find it but if I can throw a dart blindfolded and get a bourbon I'll enjoy why bother?

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 18, 2013

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Are there any unaged whiskeys that aren't $50 or so? Other than Georgia Moon I guess.

It's really too bad since I'd love to try some if they weren't priced the same as good stuff.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When I was googling Dads Hat I saw the unaged rye go for about $30.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Killer robot posted:

Are there any unaged whiskeys that aren't $50 or so?

Pretty sure I've seen that Buffalo Trace makes 375ml bottles of unaged whiskey for pretty cheap. I've never tried them myself but I've heard good things about the unaged wheat.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Cat Daddy and Midnight Moon are like 25$ I think Beam released Ghost White which is about the same price.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

Brimming with excitingly bad ideas.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Pretty sure I've seen that Buffalo Trace makes 375ml bottles of unaged whiskey for pretty cheap. I've never tried them myself but I've heard good things about the unaged wheat.

Their unaged rye is surprisingly tasty. It's really spicy and quite nuanced, as well as being far more drinkable than I would have expected for something so potent (62.5% abv) without any age on it. It's also a great deal if you want to try this sort of spirit without sinking too much money. In PA, I got a 375ml bottle for less than $12.

radbeard
Oct 22, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

Port Charlotte Heavily Peated, Ardbeg Uigeadail (or Galileo), Compass Box Flaming Heart

Seconding the Port Charlotte and the Uigeadail. I would also recommend Talisker 10 as a non Islay option.

radbeard fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Any goons going to Whisky Live in London this coming weekend?