Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Go buy a prop reamer. Just be sure to get the right size.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEGH6&P=M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
loving weather needs to cooperate, it's either too windy, too cold, or too much precipitation as far as the forecast can see. :mad:

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

devmd01 posted:

loving weather needs to cooperate, it's either too windy, too cold, or too much precipitation as far as the forecast can see. :mad:

Too windy, too wet, or I have some *mumble*social thing to go to.

Still got my Christmas present unflown, and a Sebart Pitts unbuilt, along with a hotliner that needs some modification with a dremel to take the 1kw motor I've got for it.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I'm not sure if many people have heard but there is some pretty intimidating legislation coming out with regards to unmanned aircraft. Unfortunately most do not differentiate between hobby and other kinds of uses.

There is a bill in Oregon that would effectively ban every single RC aircraft of any sort with any sort of camera on board: from a full on FPV craft to a iphone drone to a Air Hogs $75 free-flight toy.

The lists of states with these bills so far is: California, Florida, Idaho, Maine, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas and Virginia. Please send them your thoughts! Remember to remind them that we already have very detailed privacy laws in this country that would more than cover any mis-use of UAVs, on top of that Congress has several times re-asserted that recreational model aviation shall be unregulated by the FAA.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2013/02/06/the-list-of-states-considering-uas-drone-legisalation-grows/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoJoVk_qSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm8Mxqwttnc

The drive behind these laws is coming from many different places. From paranoia about military drones spying on citizens to ACLU concerns over police using them to ugly neighbors thinking you're looking at them sunbathing all the way to corporations who don't want to be caught breaking the law.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Bumping this thread.

Ordered a 9XR and ISO a gopro for this summer. Can't wait.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Doh... Do you already have a transmitter module and receivers for it? (Or do you already use a bunch of DSM stuff?)

In my opinion, the 9x is a better deal because for only $7 more you get a transmitter module, stock, and a 8-channel receiver. Also the shoulder switches on the 9x are 1" closer to your fingers. On the 9xr they're nearly unreachable without taking your hand off the sticks.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Aileron servo in the Bixler decided to die while flying it last weekend, it's like the internal gears are stripped and doesn't do full travel. That was fun trying to get it down cleanly.

Hobbyking is sure taking their sweet-rear end time to ship the replacements I ordered from the US warehouse, and the wind has been too much for the jet or the mini-cub lately, so I haven't been able to fly for a week. :argh:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
ffff that sucks. I've started ordering from other places which tend to ship faster.

I'm in CA, and these guys have been pretty darn good:
https://www.alofthobbies.com (Southern CA)
http://www.headsuphobby.com (Florida)

And then batteries and cheap digi mg servos from http://www.hobbypartz.com (in soCal) as well.

I'm finding that the best/cheapest LiPo packs are the ones that Hobbyking gets in the US Warehouse - do you guys have any suggestions for other good LiPo sellers in the US?

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 15, 2013

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Here's another bump for this thread. Looking to get back into planes, maybe something spektrum/bnf capable, that can handle some wind, maybe 3 or 4 ch? I've got a dx6i and a nano cpx and mqx that I love but I'm ready to move on, but I obviously don't want to overextend.

Also, hobbydirect cleared off a bunch of blade helicopter parts made by microheli. Picked up an aluminum swash, set of blade holders, anti-rotation guide, tail motor mount, and carbon fiber blades for $40. HELL YEAH :dance: hopefully I'll break less poo poo on it now.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Bob A Feet posted:

Here's another bump for this thread. Looking to get back into planes, maybe something spektrum/bnf capable, that can handle some wind, maybe 3 or 4 ch? I've got a dx6i and a nano cpx and mqx that I love but I'm ready to move on, but I obviously don't want to overextend.

What about a warmliner of some description? Given the price of OrangeRX receivers, they're nearly as good as BNF toys, and you'd still end up with change compared to buying something from ParkZone.

I had a Dynamic-S until I decided sending my motor and battery sub-orbital using a light post as a stopping system for the rest of the glider was a great idea. Was a great plane to fly, dirt cheap, and would happily go vertical while being able to fly slow enough to hand catch on landing. Handled turbulence extremely well too.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

snail posted:

using a light post as a stopping system for the rest of the glider was a great idea.

Sounds good to me. How else are you supposed to stop these things? :)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Attempted to migrate the guts of my mini super cub to another less beat up body shell a friend gave me and somehow one of the servos on the board got jacked up and won't work. A new ESC/receiver unit is $30.

To go full-retard 1700kv brushless would be $54 not including shipping, I think I know what i'll be doing. :getin:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
The first time I put BL on my cub I went overboard. It took off in a few feet and basically shot straight up into the air and then back down again snapping my wing and breaking the firewall. It was funny.

CrazyLittle posted:

Doh... Do you already have a transmitter module and receivers for it? (Or do you already use a bunch of DSM stuff?)

In my opinion, the 9x is a better deal because for only $7 more you get a transmitter module, stock, and a 8-channel receiver. Also the shoulder switches on the 9x are 1" closer to your fingers. On the 9xr they're nearly unreachable without taking your hand off the sticks.

Yea I'm dedicated to Orange, and I'll probably switch to their LRS module when I start getting better at FPV. It's a 50$ radio anyways, and if for any reason I hate it, it will just become a back up radio to whatever I buy next.

It almost seems like the switches I use will actually be a tiny bit closer:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Ended up buying a HZ Champ just to practice with. I've decided to stay in the umx spectrum since I have a ton of the little 150mah batteries from my helis. The champ is retarded. Did you know you can do an inverted stall in a high wing, high dihedral trainer? No? you can. Spins? Yes. Loops? Even easier! This thing is a hoot! I thought it'd be a bump in the road on the way to bigger planes but man... this thing is fun. If I break it or the body sometime I can't wait to rip out its insides and slap it on something else. It's that fun.

speaking of which-- i've heard about adding ailerons to the champ. Would that involve adding more servos to the board or would it mean using the rudder servos to the ailerons and just not having a rudder?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
don't bother. Lots of effort for little reward. Buy a T-28 and hoon around. :-)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Or heck, make your own foamie warbird.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Yep, T-28 is coming home with me next trip to the LHS. I think I'm going to mod the champs body. I already broke the landing gear on it and all they did was serve as a prop saver to flip it. I have a ton of cf tubing lying around so I think I may construct an underbody skid for it to land on. And barring that then yeah I'm gonna research making my own foamie warbird or something similar considering I have the innards to a working one now!

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Bob A Feet posted:

I'm gonna research making my own foamie warbird or something similar considering I have the innards to a working one now!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ExperimentalAirlines have a shittonne of designs you can use, and tutorial videos for doing things like making airfoils out of foamboard. FliteTest also have quite a few foam board planes with plans.

http://rcfoamfighters.com/blog/?page_id=879 also has a number of good ones.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I finished putting together a DLG arf kit: Topsky 1.0

5' wingspan, fiberglass over foam, balsa tail & stabilizer. All-up weight 11.4oz / ~325 grams. It took 35grams of dead weight to get my CG right. Wish I'd laid everything out before gluing the tail fins in. Then I could have just made the tail shorter to get the right CG.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I couldn't think of a better place to share this: http://youtu.be/HBTWl-DtKdM (lighted quadrocopters form the star trek insignia over london)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Birthday present from the wife (because I told her, heh), a Durafly Critical Mass Micro. I have no idea how the logistics worked out so perfectly, but the battery order I made three weeks ago from hobbyking's hong kong warehouse, a servo order from hobbyking's us warehouse, and her separate order of this plane last week from the US warehouse all arrived at the same time.

Haven't gotten it up yet, drat you wind. :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Looks fun.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I am super impressed with some of the hexacopter drones with all the fixins (gimbal, GPS autopilot, etc)

My boss listens to Opie & Anthony and occasionally send me videos like this (Anthony, one of the hosts, is big into hexacopter drones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0kZWgA7WA

How much does a setup like that run, minus the camera?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
That setup is probably retardly expensive because DJI electronics are pricey as gently caress for no good reason if you ask me. (edit : googled it, anywhere from 2-3k for an s800)

For entry level I'd say you could build a decent hex for 3-400 assuming you don't have a radio.

http://www.valuehobby.com/multicopters/frames/tarot-fy550-hexcopter-frame.html $30 dji clone frame.
Some people hate the DJI arms, but I like them because they are cheap and snap when you crash hard which might save you somewhere else.

Motors will be about $16 x 6
ESCs will be about $18 x 6
Controller board $40
Radio tX/rX $50-100

There are plenty of ways to get GPS/autopilot using arduino/multiwii controllers and add ons. DJI is for people who don't want to take the effort to learn how to build a MR on their own and have lots of money to throw at it.

My biggest advice to anyone getting into the MR hobby is buy lots of extras. Props obviously, extra motor accessorys, and extra arms if you are going the DJI route.

ease fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 27, 2013

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
9xr is in hand.

Egronomics are great and I can hit the trainer switch with my index finger no problem not that I'll ever use that switch.

Radio feels nicer than my dx7. Only gripe right now is there is nothing in the back to set the radio down with out it wobbling on the radio antenna. There are two threaded holes above the module that look like they might accommodate making something for back there.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I really need to get back on building planes....

http://www.skyhighhobby.com/micro-d-worlds-smallest-dlg-glider.html

Any opinions on that DLG? I have an AR6400 that I could put in it. My t-28 finally has enough cracked parts it's not worth fixing.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ease posted:

Egronomics are great and I can hit the trainer switch with my index finger no problem not that I'll ever use that switch.

There is a feature in er9x called instant trim that let's you recenter the sticks based on your current input by hitting a switch. The trainer switch is very handy for that.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Really, that sounds like a pretty good feature heh. Exploring the menus is pretty nuts compared to what I'm used to with a dx7. There are a ton of pages and a ton of options I have no idea about.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

ease posted:

That setup is probably retardly expensive because DJI electronics are pricey as gently caress for no good reason if you ask me. (edit : googled it, anywhere from 2-3k for an s800)

For entry level I'd say you could build a decent hex for 3-400 assuming you don't have a radio.

http://www.valuehobby.com/multicopters/frames/tarot-fy550-hexcopter-frame.html $30 dji clone frame.
Some people hate the DJI arms, but I like them because they are cheap and snap when you crash hard which might save you somewhere else.

Motors will be about $16 x 6
ESCs will be about $18 x 6
Controller board $40
Radio tX/rX $50-100

There are plenty of ways to get GPS/autopilot using arduino/multiwii controllers and add ons. DJI is for people who don't want to take the effort to learn how to build a MR on their own and have lots of money to throw at it.

My biggest advice to anyone getting into the MR hobby is buy lots of extras. Props obviously, extra motor accessorys, and extra arms if you are going the DJI route.

Thanks for that info. I really need to dig into beginner's stuff. They're so drat cool that I wouldn't even mind dropping a couple grand on a fully built and configured hexacopter capable of carrying a Canon 7D or XF105. Are there local RC hobbyist forums? It'd be great to find someone local (Boston area) who's got a similar setup to check out.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nerobro posted:

I really need to get back on building planes....

http://www.skyhighhobby.com/micro-d-worlds-smallest-dlg-glider.html

Any opinions on that DLG? I have an AR6400 that I could put in it. My t-28 finally has enough cracked parts it's not worth fixing.
Looks kinda fragile :) But hey for the price why not?

pzy posted:

Thanks for that info. I really need to dig into beginner's stuff. They're so drat cool that I wouldn't even mind dropping a couple grand on a fully built and configured hexacopter capable of carrying a Canon 7D or XF105.

Don't. Just don't. As it stands right now the future of R/C aerial photography is in murky legal waters, and pissing away a ton of money on something that you are GUARANTEED to crash and break many many times will probably just get you and other people in trouble. Just because it's got 6 props doesn't mean it won't fall out of the sky just as easily when one motor or prop fails.

If you're not into the hobby for the hobby's sake (wrenching, teching, and tooling around) then you can start off with the cheaper DJI brain, the DJI Naza+GPS which is only about $400. Don't even think about sticking a camera on anything until you're fully comfortable with flying and probably losing everything in a single crash. As far as your frame / props / motors are concerned, start off cheap and get used to how a helicopter flies. It's not like an airplane at all because wind will easily carry your helicopter away until it's too small to see.

Yes there probably are local hobby forums around, but you're not going to see much of a concentration of multi-rotor guys on the local forums because it's all still very new. When I first starting trying to fly tri/quad copters the auto-level stuff either didn't exist yet or was outrageously expensive. Now you can get all the sensors on a board for under $100. (Software is still experimental though)

Forums:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/forum.php (General forum)
http://www.multiwii.com/forum/ (Arduino MultiWiiCopter specific)
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-multirotors-790/ (Pretty much nothing but DJI stuff)

http://fpvlab.com/forums/index.php (FPV and Aerial photography)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 28, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

pzy posted:

Thanks for that info. I really need to dig into beginner's stuff. They're so drat cool that I wouldn't even mind dropping a couple grand on a fully built and configured hexacopter capable of carrying a Canon 7D or XF105. Are there local RC hobbyist forums? It'd be great to find someone local (Boston area) who's got a similar setup to check out.

Just to echo what CrazyLittle said this isn't a great idea. I did aerial photography through college with a big Bergen Gasser EB, video downlink, DSLR and all the goodies. Last time I checked (it's been a while) it is illegal to use a UAV/heli/multi for commercial AP work thanks to a lot of people flying too high and where they weren't supposed to. You might be able to get a lisence but it will be stupidly expensive and likely not worth it in the end.

Also with no or limited (I'm guessing) experience you should start small, light, cheap and away from expensive stuff to crash into. Start with a lower end setup and get used to orientation, flying, wind and everything else. Once you have a bunch of time with this move up to something larger or more complex. I'd be scared to put a camera rig in the air (even just for fun) without a year or two of flying time...I had 5 before I started.

I had a friend have a linkage pop loose when doing a shoot for a Porsche dealership...$300k later he decided to go back to working in IT. Even with insurance there wasn't much recovering from that.

A good site from when I was doing AP is APLanding.com

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had a friend have a linkage pop loose when doing a shoot for a Porsche dealership...$300k later he decided to go back to working in IT. Even with insurance there wasn't much recovering from that.

Did he crash into a 959?

ease fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 29, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ease posted:

Did he crash into a 959?

Linkage in the head popped off and he was low (<10'), when it landed sideways on a 911 the throttle stuck WFO then it cartwheeled down the row. A 30+ pound turbine AP rig bouncing around on expensive cars can do a lot of damage very fast.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Last time I checked (it's been a while) it is illegal to use a UAV/heli/multi for commercial AP work thanks to a lot of people flying too high and where they weren't supposed to. You might be able to get a lisence but it will be stupidly expensive and likely not worth it in the end.
This is BS on all levels. First of all a few amateurs have flown near airports and caused a fuss. None have been proven to be using FPV tech and none were doing it for pay.

On top of that mostly why UAV AP is illegal is because of lobbying on the part of full scale AP companies and worries about jamming up the NAS with a bunch of commercial UAVs before the FAA is ready for them.

If you watch the Discovery channel or other modern reality/documentary shows you will be able to spot footage from multirotor, blimp, and fixed wing UAVs clearly violating the ban.

That crash reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXc0R-u1yfE

What happens when your GPS stabilized UAV loses GPS lock.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 3, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just because it's not legal, doesn't mean that people aren't violating that law left and right. I'm just hoping that sensible laws which allow for responsible use will be passed sooner rather than later.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Oh I agree for sure.

I want to make money off my UAV but am worried about trying. I have a friend who got a cease and desist letter from the FAA for filming sub $1000 gigs and then these guys on Discovery are making multi-million dollar shows with multirotor shadows on the ground and the FAA turns a blind eye. Goddamn selective enforcement!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

Oh I agree for sure.

I want to make money off my UAV but am worried about trying. I have a friend who got a cease and desist letter from the FAA for filming sub $1000 gigs and then these guys on Discovery are making multi-million dollar shows with multirotor shadows on the ground and the FAA turns a blind eye. Goddamn selective enforcement!

Those guys are almost certainly extremely well insured and staying within sight, however...

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Slanderer posted:

Those guys are almost certainly extremely well insured and staying within sight, however...
So what it's still illegal.

Also, so was my friend; he had $1 mil private insurance and a 3-man team.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

So what it's still illegal.

Also, so was my friend; he had $1 mil private insurance and a 3-man team.

You sure that it wasn't being manually controlled, or at least with someone physically at the controls while the AP was active?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

What are you talking about? It is illegal to use a UAV to make money period. It doesn't matter if it is manually controlled or autopiloted or even if it has a camera.