Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

THE BAR posted:

I'm grumpy about new and indie games, So I voted "no" on everything to get my message across. :mad:

I'm not usually grumpy when it comes to new games and new formulas but I voted "no" on everything too. I like GOG as it is right now, completely DRM-Free games. I don't know how is Omerta on this regard but DLCs, non fully released episodic games, alpha/betas, MMO's and multiplayer games that can be shut down by developers is not what I want on GOG because I want to be able to install and play everything I buy from them in five years and know that they will work.

This being said, I don't mind that they have Asscreed or other games for slightly more than their old 5.99/9.99$ price tag but don't let them have any of the above mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I voted that season passes are ok, but I just don't want to be nickel and dimed here and there. As long as i know I'll be getting the whole thing I don't have a problem. I just don't like it when they release stuff out of the blue, it feels kind of cheap.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Guillermus posted:

I'm not usually grumpy when it comes to new games and new formulas but I voted "no" on everything too. I like GOG as it is right now, completely DRM-Free games. I don't know how is Omerta on this regard but DLCs, non fully released episodic games, alpha/betas, MMO's and multiplayer games that can be shut down by developers is not what I want on GOG because I want to be able to install and play everything I buy from them in five years and know that they will work.

This being said, I don't mind that they have Asscreed or other games for slightly more than their old 5.99/9.99$ price tag but don't let them have any of the above mentioned.

This is how I'm feeling: I'd rather have it the way it is than letting any possible poison have its foot inside the door. Give them a finger and they'll take your whole hand and all that.

E: Revised.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 17, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"Season Passes" don't even carry most DLC. Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2, etc are a good example of this practice. At most, you get those DLC considered vital and have to buy the rest separately, which again shows that you are not getting the full experience. Heck, in some cases you don't even want the full thing as recently shown by Sleeping Dogs and its various "cheating" DLC that just make the game dumb easy with no option to turn them off. This is a messy subject with all the on-going changes in this area and GOG should not be treating it as the black/white situation they tried to portrait in the survey.

In fact, all they did was getting everyone to vote no, no, no, no, and no on all (or most) questions. That isn't helpful at all. They end up not understanding what the actual problems are nor will they find a way to make everyone happy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Charles Martel posted:

Hey Rupert, since you were thinking about Catacombs right before it appeared, could you suggest Wacky Wheels and SimTower for Tuesday's releases? TIA :v:

That's funny, since I had planned to post about another game, but forgot which one.

It was Wacky Wheels. I miss the PC's answer to Super Mario Kart. Never played SimTower, but have heard a ton of great things. A friend of mine is making an iso-version of it called IsoTower. The thread's probably dead, but he did post about it. I believe his username is The Daian. Posts a lot in the Moments thread, if you want to bug him about it.

My thoughts and hopes are with all of you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Butcher Bay was also the first time I've seen FPS melee done right. So satisfying. And it introduced my favorite system of health regen, where you had a few health blocks. Lose one all the way and it's gone until you find a med station, a partial one will refill over time. You had to be careful, but it also wasn't too punishing if you played it smart.

I disliked it because it felt like the AI was reading my inputs and it felt like sheer luck if I won a melee fight or not.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Guillermus posted:

There was no option to vote for "more emphasis on GOOD OLD games, not MAYBE GOOD NEW games," which is what I feel they should be focusing on.

That being said, I realize they need to keep the lights on and the servers up and running, so if they can get the cash to do the licensing deals they need to do to supply me with more of the good stuff I want, then fine.

As long as it doesn't interfere and they just become Steam without DRM.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can understand where they're coming from and it's dangerous territory. If they say no to a company because of DLC then that company probably won't ever do business with them in the future. It's an all or nothing affair. They can't say yes to some, no to others. GOG did fine without new releases but sometimes there were dry months with only a handful (or none at all) releases and that probably put a dent in their finances.

The worst thing a store can do is never stock anything new. I don't want a Virtual Console scenario where the games stop completely.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peas and Rice posted:

There was no option to vote for "more emphasis on GOOD OLD games, not MAYBE GOOD NEW games," which is what I feel they should be focusing on.
I see this sentiment in the thread a lot. Do you guys not understand there is a finite number of "old" games?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

anthonypants posted:

I see this sentiment in the thread a lot. Do you guys not understand there is a finite number of "old" games?

Do you not understand that GoG has barely even scratched the surface of good "old" games?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How well does the GoG version of Capitalism 2 work on Windows 7? My disc version boots up but everything is all out of alignment so I can't click certain menu choices or even actually start a game.

(Also, anyone on the fence about Cap 2, just buy it. It's dense at first but it's fun as gently caress)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The way Gog does business right now, without the DLC and such, is just a really nice, attractive package. A game consists of one executable installer. No DRM, no nothing. I'm okay with any DLC solution that does not infringe on that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not like they're sitting slacking off with old games because they release new ones. I'd rather have some new ones than none at all.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fallom posted:

Do you not understand that GoG has barely even scratched the surface of good "old" games?
Whose fault is that?

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I'm fine with DLC, but I'm against those investment season passes. I'm fine with them releasing a game that has multiplayer in it, but not something you need a third party launcher for. Leave the F2P games to Steam.

In the end I have nothing against them adding new games to GoG, but they should definitely keep to what they've been doing. As in, releasing a complete game (with or without expansion/dlc) and keeping it DRM free (don't want to deal with SimCity fiasco stuff).

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

That being said, I realize they need to keep the lights on and the servers up and running, so if they can get the cash to do the licensing deals they need to do to supply me with more of the good stuff I want, then fine.

As long as it doesn't interfere and they just become Steam without DRM.

Apart from not having got LucasArts on board yet, GOG has pretty much achieved everything I could dream of when I discovered the site in 2008 and then some. I don't feel we have any licence to complain about them also selling newer games on the side (as one of the very few DRM-free options out there) as long as they don't start losing rights to their existing old games - and especially since they're still acquiring new ones. If you ask me, they really don't need to focus on acquiring old games anymore, but nonetheless I hope they keep adding to that catalogue too.

Zat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know how it would work but it'd be awesome if they could develop/license emulators for legacy PC platforms like Commodore 64, Spectrum, Atari ST, and Amiga because a ton of great games were exclusively released on those platforms that never appeared on Windows/DOS.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

al-azad posted:

I don't know how it would work but it'd be awesome if they could develop/license emulators for legacy PC platforms like Commodore 64, Spectrum, Atari ST, and Amiga because a ton of great games were exclusively released on those platforms that never appeared on Windows/DOS.

I was thinking the same thing about old console games. The easiest thing to do would be to start with the publishers that already have bundled emulated (or ported maybe) games into packages:

Some of the Intellivision games are available as legit promotional freeware, but I think the official links are long gone, so you'll have to check some download warehouse sites like Download.com or GamersHell.

e: ok, so that's not how the url code works

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

anthonypants posted:

There's a finite number of new ones too, unless you've got a magic instant game creator.

In seriousness though: There are many more old games GOG can add to the service. Also games coming out now will be "old" in a few years. Also just because a lot of us have bought a lot of stuff in GOG's library doesn't mean everyone has.

The point I'm trying to make is that there seems to be this assumption that GOG will become obsolete if they aren't continuously adding titles to the service. I don't think that's the case. I would rather them add 1 high-quality title to the service every week then 2-3 mediocre ones. Hell, I'd rather them not add anything for a couple weeks then add shovelware, if that's what it comes down to.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

macnbc posted:

The point I'm trying to make is that there seems to be this assumption that GOG will become obsolete if they aren't continuously adding titles to the service. I don't think that's the case. I would rather them add 1 high-quality title to the service every week then 2-3 mediocre ones. Hell, I'd rather them not add anything for a couple weeks then add shovelware, if that's what it comes down to.

But why do you care? Does it really make your GOG-using experience worse? You don't have to buy the games you dislike you know.

Also, they just released The Nomad Soul, Magic Carpet 2, Catacombs, Secret Agent, Severance: Blade of Darkness and Settlers 3. Apart from Omerta DLC, those are literally the latest releases on that site. They also got their all-time most requested title, System Shock 2, released like a month ago. That is just beautiful. GOG is doing great, and I don't even know what the argument here is.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

macnbc posted:

There's a finite number of new ones too, unless you've got a magic instant game creator.

In seriousness though: There are many more old games GOG can add to the service. Also games coming out now will be "old" in a few years. Also just because a lot of us have bought a lot of stuff in GOG's library doesn't mean everyone has.

My magic instant game creator is also called a time machine, and here is how it works: it makes the sun set and then rise, which marks the start of a new day.

I'd rather they do whatever they can to stay in business instead of making the remarkably idiotic opinion that they not sell games at all just because someone doesn't like those games.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

macnbc posted:

It is a good idea that they should stick with quality games to release, but it's important to note that quality games aren't exclusive to old games. I understand people don't want GoGs catalog to be a pile of crappy games, but it seems like the fear comes from irrational hate of new and indie games.

For example, when Arma 2 came on to GoG people were swearing that GoG was now going to hike up the prices for everything now and that old games were never going to come out. Both came to be untrue, with System Shock 2 coming out, and recently GoG testing out the waters of price dropping.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm not afraid of new games I'm afraid that GOG will cave in to publisher demands and allow third party software. GOG's major selling point is DRM free, download a client and play. I don't want to buy a game but be forced to log in to U-Play or Origin to verify and play it. Unfortunately the current state of the industry makes it very difficult to sell current games without having to go through someone else's client because publishers need to have their hands on your shoulder while you play.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

al-azad posted:

I'm not afraid of new games I'm afraid that GOG will cave in to publisher demands and allow third party software. GOG's major selling point is DRM free, download a client and play. I don't want to buy a game but be forced to log in to U-Play or Origin to verify and play it. Unfortunately the current state of the industry makes it very difficult to sell current games without having to go through someone else's client because publishers need to have their hands on your shoulder while you play.

Yeah, that is a risk. But Gog knows DRM-free is one of their main selling points. They would never retroactively add older games to some third party scheme. If newer games demand that sort of stuff it doesn't really matter what Gog says, they don't hold that much sway that refusing a game may change the publisher's mind. So the choice is between getting a little bit of revenue from fans who hate DRM or leaving it all to Steam/retailers. I see no harm in it as long as it's clearly stated for individual games.

The difference with Gog is, unlike Steam, they are committed to keep their catalouge working over time. Afaik they haven't "abandoned" a game yet. So I'm fairly confident, if they do get DRM games, once those are no longer supported by Origin/Social Club/whatever they will work to give them a unified installer just like all the other games.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
Anyone chiming in on the Capitalism 2 v Capitalism Plus?

anthonypants posted:

Whilst I think GOG should sell new (DRM free) games too, we will never run out of old games either because today's new games become tomorrows old games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Does GOG ban people for sharing games? My friend let me download his GOG copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 so I logged in as him and when I logged out and tried to log back into my account it said it doesn't even recognize the email address tied to my account. I contacted them about it, but I'm wondering if you guys know if this was some sort of mistake that tends to happen or they did pull my account right from under me?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Is HoMM3 worth getting? I've heard nothing but good things and it looks pretty cool but i'm worried it hasn't aged all that well.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

TheIllestVillain posted:

Is HoMM3 worth getting? I've heard nothing but good things and it looks pretty cool but i'm worried it hasn't aged all that well.

Yes. Very yes. It has aged pretty gracefully.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

TheIllestVillain posted:

HoMM3 owns and you should buy it.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Mr Right posted:

Anyone chiming in on the Capitalism 2 v Capitalism Plus?

Never played the original but Cap 2 is absolutely brutal so I'm not sure if they expect you to have experience with the series. I couldn't even get past the first tutorial map, I think that if you actually manage to complete all the scenarios you should be awarded an MBA or something. Probably one of the most difficult sim games I've ever played, but tons of depth to it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mmm, I remember playing Capitalism Plus as a demo the better part of two decades ago. I don't remember it being especially difficult, but maybe I'm just not remembering going into liquidation. I might buy that!

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

HoMM3 owns and you should buy it.

Buy HoMM3 everyday, ignore all others.

Edit: I think I own two hardcopies and I still bought it on GOG.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Accordion Man posted:

Does GOG ban people for sharing games? My friend let me download his GOG copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 so I logged in as him and when I logged out and tried to log back into my account it said it doesn't even recognize the email address tied to my account. I contacted them about it, but I'm wondering if you guys know if this was some sort of mistake that tends to happen or they did pull my account right from under me?

I've never heard anything like this. Are you certain you're using the correct email address? For good measure, double check the "To:" field in any emails you've received from GoG.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ymgve posted:

I've never heard anything like this. Are you certain you're using the correct email address? For good measure, double check the "To:" field in any emails you've received from GoG.
I think I actually misspelled my email address when I changed it, because I haven't been getting any emails from them since I did. Wished I realized that before I logged out.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 18, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anachronox 60% off. This game owns but understand you're getting part 1 of 2 and there will probably never be part 2.

It has some of the best writing in video games. Ever.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Speaking of HoMM3, what are the must have mods for it, it's been a long time but I remember people talking about an HD patch that was pretty much mandatory, is there anything else worth installing, and could anyone give some simplified instructions to installing it all?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

al-azad posted:

Anachronox 60% off. This game owns but understand you're getting part 1 of 2 and there will probably never be part 2.

It has some of the best writing in video games. Ever.

I got this a while back and found the mouse controls to be awful to the point where I didn't want to play the game anymore.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got this a while back and found the mouse controls to be awful to the point where I didn't want to play the game anymore.

It's really a charming game, just with a lot of mechanics you have to soldier through.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Only if you accept the concept that gaming is coming to an end. It's the similar way that porn will never run out of eighteen year olds that make poor decisions.

quote:

Does GOG ban people for sharing games?

I don't believe they have a 'sharing' mechanism in place, but I suspect the downloaders will contact your account at some point to see if you can install the game. DRM-free doesn't mean 'free', btw.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

I don't believe they have a 'sharing' mechanism in place, but I suspect the downloaders will contact your account at some point to see if you can install the game. DRM-free doesn't mean 'free', btw.

The hell are you talking about?