Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
What are people's opinions on shock absorption in hiking poles? I've only ever walked with stuff that doesn't have shock absorption and I like that I can immediately put weight on the pole without any further downward travel after contact with the ground, however I need to buy new poles and the ones that I've found at a great price are the Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Shocks. I'm just wondering if I get them, if the shocks will be so great that it will rock my world, if I won't notice them, or if I'll hate the extra movement of the poles. I'm aware the Contour Elliptic Shocks have that weird non-spring shock installed just under the grip. I've used those really, really cheap poles with lovely springs in the bottoms before and I hated those.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Chroisman posted:

What are people's opinions on shock absorption in hiking poles? I've only ever walked with stuff that doesn't have shock absorption and I like that I can immediately put weight on the pole without any further downward travel after contact with the ground, however I need to buy new poles and the ones that I've found at a great price are the Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Shocks. I'm just wondering if I get them, if the shocks will be so great that it will rock my world, if I won't notice them, or if I'll hate the extra movement of the poles. I'm aware the Contour Elliptic Shocks have that weird non-spring shock installed just under the grip. I've used those really, really cheap poles with lovely springs in the bottoms before and I hated those.

I don't think shock-absorbing poles are worth it. Even if you get a good deal on them, it's just more poo poo to break and more weight to carry.

I'm like you - I like knowing that the pole won't give after I plant it. I'm sure I'd get used to shock absorbers eventually, but I just don't like the idea of them, and haven't found a need for them. And that's after having surgery on both knees already. If I don't need 'em by now, I think I'm OK.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I'm weighing my options for a five day series of dayhikes this summer. I want to do dayhikes instead of a backpacking trip for a variety of reasons: I don't have the equipment to backpack, I don't feel like carrying all the extra gear, I want to sample a variety of locations in one general region, etc. My two top picks are northern New Mexico and the Adirondacks. I know New Mexico pretty well from past trips, but for the Adirondacks, I only have a stack of guidebooks to help me out.

Any of you who've been in the Adirondacks, what are some of the very best dayhikes (4-12 miles, give or take) you can recommend? And what would be a good source of info for car-camping? I like big views and waterfalls and funky rock outcrops, prefer gentle climbs whenever possible, and would like to spend some time above the treeline. Crowds aren't a deal-killer, but anything away from crowds is good.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like REI has calculated dividends! Haven't seen the usual %20 off coupon yet.

Has anyone had any experience using microspikes? Are they small enough to use that you can wear them along with snowshoes? How are they over rocks? I've been using yak traks but there not very durable and seem to clog up almost in powdery snow.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
For wearing them with snowshoes it would depend on the bindings. I suspect they'd be bulkier than ideal, though they're pretty quick to get on and off. As far as rock they're fine for rocky patches, but I'd take them off for any real distance.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BleakLewis posted:

Looks like REI has calculated dividends! Haven't seen the usual %20 off coupon yet.

Has anyone had any experience using microspikes? Are they small enough to use that you can wear them along with snowshoes? How are they over rocks? I've been using yak traks but there not very durable and seem to clog up almost in powdery snow.

$37, WOOH!

not sure what to buy... sure I'll think of something at some point but I'm pretty well stocked at the moment.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

$66 bucks from REI. Woot!

Used it to buy an rei branded kitchen table setup that was marked down from $149 to $69.00. The folks there said the coupons should be out by Friday.

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

BleakLewis posted:

Any decent pair of spikes will not work with snowshoes. I've worn mine over bare rocks once because the weather conditions were bad and we were not going to stop. Rocks will beat your spikes up so check their condition when you're done. Traction on larger rocks and boulders is worse than bare boots but smaller stones you wont have problems with.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

BleakLewis posted:

Microspikes are easy enough to put on/take off that you can just take them off right before you put on snowshoes.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Smaert me, I just ran through REI on the way home from the Sunday hike and bought a few more socks. Now I have to go back and buy other things. :downsrim:

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Started at Amicola last week. Resting out some rain in Neel's Gap as I type. This past week has been an incredible time and has made me more confident about getting to Katahdin.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Elijya posted:

Started at Amicola last week. Resting out some rain in Neel's Gap as I type. This past week has been an incredible time and has made me more confident about getting to Katahdin.

Good luck dude!

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

Chroisman posted:

If you're skeptical of shock absorption, the elastomer dampers in the BD poles will give you the least issues of any of the varieties out there. There really isn't anywhere for them to go wrong without catastrophic failure of the pole itself. I had a pair of BD Trail Shocks that I used when I was a fat guy basically until I lost one of them off a cliff somewhere in the Sierras. If anything I feel that they extended the life of the poles, since my weight had somewhere to go aside from directly into the pole shaft itself.

I'm using Leki Super Makalu Corklite Aergon poles now which also have shock absorption, but spring-based in the lower section. After 3 years of hard use year-round, I have never experienced a failure or anything even minorly annoying. Frankly most time I forget they're even there until I have to borrow someone else's poles, and then I miss them. I also have pretty bad tendinosis throughout my right arm from climbing and ice axe self arrests which gets aggravated from overuse and repeatedly bashing poles into uneven terrain so YMMV.

Basically, on a well made pole (Read: NOT Komperdell or REI brand) they're not a gimmick and not anything you should feel like you have to avoid due to liability. If you can get a great deal on 'em go for it. Black Diamond is having their winter clearance right now, so they have a bunch of discounted poles from last season including the Alpine Carbon and Ultra Distance Z-Poles (also Carbon Fiber) for $105 and Distance FLs for $84 - none of which have shock absorption.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
another vote for shock absorption being nice in trekking poles. I've got a pair of Leki's that have them and I really appreciate them. I only use trekking poles on hikes with serious incline/decline for the most part and it's really nice to have that little bit of absorption. They still hold plenty stiff and feel solid, it's not like a pogo stick. If you've never used them before I'd certainly recommend trying them out.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010

slartibartfast posted:

I don't think shock-absorbing poles are worth it. Even if you get a good deal on them, it's just more poo poo to break and more weight to carry.

I'm like you - I like knowing that the pole won't give after I plant it. I'm sure I'd get used to shock absorbers eventually, but I just don't like the idea of them, and haven't found a need for them. And that's after having surgery on both knees already. If I don't need 'em by now, I think I'm OK.

i_heart_ponies posted:

If you're skeptical of shock absorption, the elastomer dampers in the BD poles will give you the least issues of any of the varieties out there. There really isn't anywhere for them to go wrong without catastrophic failure of the pole itself. I had a pair of BD Trail Shocks that I used when I was a fat guy basically until I lost one of them off a cliff somewhere in the Sierras. If anything I feel that they extended the life of the poles, since my weight had somewhere to go aside from directly into the pole shaft itself.

I'm using Leki Super Makalu Corklite Aergon poles now which also have shock absorption, but spring-based in the lower section. After 3 years of hard use year-round, I have never experienced a failure or anything even minorly annoying. Frankly most time I forget they're even there until I have to borrow someone else's poles, and then I miss them. I also have pretty bad tendinosis throughout my right arm from climbing and ice axe self arrests which gets aggravated from overuse and repeatedly bashing poles into uneven terrain so YMMV.

Basically, on a well made pole (Read: NOT Komperdell or REI brand) they're not a gimmick and not anything you should feel like you have to avoid due to liability. If you can get a great deal on 'em go for it. Black Diamond is having their winter clearance right now, so they have a bunch of discounted poles from last season including the Alpine Carbon and Ultra Distance Z-Poles (also Carbon Fiber) for $105 and Distance FLs for $84 - none of which have shock absorption.

MMD3 posted:

another vote for shock absorption being nice in trekking poles. I've got a pair of Leki's that have them and I really appreciate them. I only use trekking poles on hikes with serious incline/decline for the most part and it's really nice to have that little bit of absorption. They still hold plenty stiff and feel solid, it's not like a pogo stick. If you've never used them before I'd certainly recommend trying them out.

Thanks a lot for the advice, everyone. I'll have to admit I haven't actually tried shocks that aren't on a cheapshit pole, so I'll head up to the shops tomorrow and try to see if they have any I can get a feel of.

Unfortunately for the BD sales though, they don't ship to Australia :(. Either way I've managed to find both the Contour Elliptics and the Contour Elliptic Shocks for a price I'm happy with, so now it'll just come down to deciding on the shocks I think.

Edit: I did find an Australian store that is having a sale with very similar prices to the BD website, and also free shipping hooray! Am I right that carbon fibre poles are generally regarded as much better than aluminium (due to weight, strength etc)?

Chroisman fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 19, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Elijya posted:

Got a blog or trailjournal?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

i_heart_ponies posted:

I'm considering those women's Distance ones now.. just under 1 lb, not quite as light as the ultra distances, but those are sold out in the moderate sizes which I could use anyway. Anything to be aware of on these? The folding super compact action is so awesome, I'm currently using really lovely cheap coleman poles my mom gave me for free when she got nice Lekis, so anything is an improvement, but I specifically want a pair that will be nice for doing the John Muir Trail later this year and other backpacking trips.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just got my REI dividend, I got $35 back, somehow I must have purchased a lot of stuff that doesn't go towards the dividend because I know I spent way more than that last year alone with my trip to Colorado that I had to gear up for.

Either way I have no idea what I'm going to put it toward. Possibly a smaller pack, maybe a leatherman, or a fleece liner for my sleeping bag to give me a few more degrees of comfort in really cold situations. After last year, I really covered a lot of my backpacking needs. I might also just hang onto it and wait for a coupon and buy a new rain jacket.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Boy am I glad I found this thread.

I was fortunate to have parents who loved the outdoors and did lots of hiking/backpacking growing up - Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton, Zion, etc. This isn't meant to be bragging (I'm sure many people in the thread are much more accomplished.), I'm just trying to give you all a feel for my experience level to help me with my problem: I need new footwear.

I had a good pair of hiking boots that worked fine when I was in my early teens, but they no longer fit in my late 20s. Also, I'm getting back into hiking after a long hiatus and am overwhelmed with options. Minimalist trail shoes have really captured my interest and I see i_heart_ponies mentioned doing some significant hiking in them, but does anyone else use them? (Not trying to exclude you i_heart_ponies, feel free to say more about them.)

Living in the mid-atlantic, I'm looking at doing day hikes and some weekenders on the AT and similar, eventually fitting in things like Pike's Peak and national parks out west.

Would a minimalist shoe be prudent for trips like these or should I look into a regular trail shoe, or stick with boots?

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 19, 2013

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Verman posted:

Just got my REI dividend, I got $35 back, somehow I must have purchased a lot of stuff that doesn't go towards the dividend because I know I spent way more than that last year alone with my trip to Colorado that I had to gear up for.

Either way I have no idea what I'm going to put it toward. Possibly a smaller pack, maybe a leatherman, or a fleece liner for my sleeping bag to give me a few more degrees of comfort in really cold situations. After last year, I really covered a lot of my backpacking needs. I might also just hang onto it and wait for a coupon and buy a new rain jacket.

Anything that is on sale or clearance doesn't count towards your dividend.

I just got a postcard from REI yesterday for $20 off $50 or more, so keep an eye out for that.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Dinosaurs!, I suggest you get some trail runners. Hiking boots are overkill, but minimalist shoes take some getting used to if you want to hike in them without really wearing out your feet. I've done a lot of hiking in both Vibram Five Fingers and in Salomon trail runners, and I think trail runners are better for general purpose hiking.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Any women have recommendations for day packs? My mom's looking to get one, possibly with a hydration sleeve, but wants it to be big enough for her coat and whatnot, so the REI flash 18 isn't suitable.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Any women have recommendations for day packs? My mom's looking to get one, possibly with a hydration sleeve, but wants it to be big enough for her coat and whatnot, so the REI flash 18 isn't suitable.

I like REI's bigger non minimalist version daypack the Traverse 30 - I've had an older model of it for over 6 years and no complaints, it can hold a warm coat or two, food, waters, etcetera for a long day hike (http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/rei-traverse-pack--womens). REI gear is one size fits all I think and will be the cheapest. Gregory packs are nice too, they have a Jade 28, but not sure what size your mom would find comfy without trying on stuff at the store. Honestly I'd encourage her to find her size/favorite brand fits at a physical store and buy it cheap online, or just to go to the next REI used sale event near her and beeline for the backpacks, there should be a few nice women's packs to choose from.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't used it for hiking yet, but I am very happy with my Osprey Comet that I use day to day as a bag for work. I keep my laptop and a bunch of tools / gear in it and it's bee great. The laptop compartment doubles as a hydration compartment and it has the hole in the top of the bag for the hydration tube.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

BeefofAges posted:

Dinosaurs!, I suggest you get some trail runners. Hiking boots are overkill, but minimalist shoes take some getting used to if you want to hike in them without really wearing out your feet. I've done a lot of hiking in both Vibram Five Fingers and in Salomon trail runners, and I think trail runners are better for general purpose hiking.

Okay. I was looking at a MT10 or Trail Glove, so something like a MT110? What Saloman do you have?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Got a blog or trailjournal?
Just the one I'm keeping in pen! I have a few photos on facebook though
https://m.facebook.com/elijya?id=511670032&_rdr#!/elijya?v=photos&cps&album=a.10150256644135033.364507.511670032&__user=511670032

Elijya fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 20, 2013

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Dinosaurs! posted:

Okay. I was looking at a MT10 or Trail Glove, so something like a MT110? What Saloman do you have?

I like the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2, but you really have to try some shoes on. Everyone's feet are different, so shoes I find comfortable might not be comfortable for you. The best is if you can get shoes from somewhere with a generous return policy like REI's, because then if you wear shoes for a few hikes and realize they're just not a good fit, you can take them back.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been looking through my clothing recently and I realized that with spring/summer coming up I'm woefully under-prepaired for outside adventures; hell, the only real winter coat I have is from J-Crew. I just got my REI dividend along with a 20%off one item coupon so I think I'm going to invest in some sort of jacket, but I have no idea where to start. I was up at the REI in Boulder a few weeks ago and there were a ton of different jackets with different features, insulation levels, & price ranges. This'll probably be a dumb question but is anyone able to do a small write-up on different types of jackets? Would a thin rain jacket be a good place to start with layering underneath?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've been looking through my clothing recently and I realized that with spring/summer coming up I'm woefully under-prepaired for outside adventures; hell, the only real winter coat I have is from J-Crew. I just got my REI dividend along with a 20%off one item coupon so I think I'm going to invest in some sort of jacket, but I have no idea where to start. I was up at the REI in Boulder a few weeks ago and there were a ton of different jackets with different features, insulation levels, & price ranges. This'll probably be a dumb question but is anyone able to do a small write-up on different types of jackets? Would a thin rain jacket be a good place to start with layering underneath?

The type of jacket you should pick up first is really going to depend on what the bulk of your outdoor activity is going to consist of. If you don't plan on doing a lot of hiking in the rain then I wouldn't recommend a rain jacket as your first purchase.

Here's a really basic/quickly whipped together run-down of what types of jackets you'll want to have for outdoorsy stuff.

Fleece Jacket - insulating layer for wearing over a base layer (read short or long sleeve shirt). Fleece is great because it's lightweight, has good insulating properties, and is fairly breathable but it won't keep you dry.

Soft Shell - a cross between a fleece and a outer shell, personally I'd rate soft shells as the most versatile piece of outerwear if you could only buy one. They'll have some water repelling properties and some insulating properties and should be highly packable. Great for day hikes and as a piece to layer under or over other layers as you pick up other jackets. I wear my Arc'teryx soft shell over a base layer, or over a down sweater, or under a hardshell.

Hard Shell - the most water repellent layer, these are what are typically known as rain jackets, they'll keep you dry but the downside is they're less breathable than a fleece or soft shell and they won't have much insulating value.

Down Jacket - these can come in lots of weights, the patagonia-popularized down-sweater style is thin, super-lightweight, and highly packable, not your highschool North Face puffy coat. Lots of brands make down jackets in lots of fills, just don't get them wet because they lose insulating properties quickly if you do and take a while to dry out. Great for crisp/cool fall days or for putting on once you've set up camp and are hanging out in your tent or by the fire.

Hope this helps get you started, I'd probably suggest you look into a fleece or soft shell for your first jacket if you don't have those covered already.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I accidentally found this thread by misclicking on the main forum selection, and I'm really glad I did! OK, background info: I've spent all my life at the base of the Adirondacks, but never got into hiking until about two years ago. I've exhausted all the shorter southern Adirondacks hikes, and this year will start on my first High Peaks hikes. I've been trying to include hiking in travel, and have visited Yellowstone and the redwood parks in Northern CA in the last two years. (Miner's Ridge / James Irvine Loop in Prairie Creek State Park is absolutely the best hike I've done so far). In May I'm heading to Zion and Bryce.

I would say I'm still pretty bad at hiking - I have to rest all the time on anything with significant elevation gain - but I'm usually with someone who goes at the same speed. My issues are: I don't do any other exercise, (which is my own stupidity/laziness) and my knees suck. Especially going downhill on the ridiculously rocky trails, my knees will hurt when I put pressure on them. I bought hiking poles last year which have been helping, but if the trail is long enough they will will still bother me on the way down. (Suggestions for knee-strengthening exercise?)

I also need to buy a real hiking bag w/ hydration system. I have been thinking about getting the Kestrel 48 for months. It's larger than I really need, but I really like the feel of it, and it would have plenty of room for hikes where I want to bring my camera gear. The only downside to it, is I'll probably look like an idiot wearing a giant pack when I'm on a short trail. Is there a better daypack / overnight pack that I should be looking at?

Time Cowboy posted:

Any of you who've been in the Adirondacks, what are some of the very best dayhikes (4-12 miles, give or take) you can recommend? And what would be a good source of info for car-camping? I like big views and waterfalls and funky rock outcrops, prefer gentle climbs whenever possible, and would like to spend some time above the treeline. Crowds aren't a deal-killer, but anything away from crowds is good.

I can't speak to the High Peaks area, but if you're in the lower Adirondacks, the Tongue Mountain Range is a really nice hike that fits your description. It's 11 or 12 miles but not steep. You get great views of Lake George and all the surrounding mountains, and it's less crowded than the other Lake George hikes (due to it's length and it's reputation for having rattlesnakes). If you end up visiting the Adirondacks, be warned that May-June is black fly season and if it's a really wet spring, hiking can be miserable.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 20, 2013

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MMD3 posted:

The type of jacket you should pick up first is really going to depend on what the bulk of your outdoor activity is going to consist of. If you don't plan on doing a lot of hiking in the rain then I wouldn't recommend a rain jacket as your first purchase.

Here's a really basic/quickly whipped together run-down of what types of jackets you'll want to have for outdoorsy stuff.

Fleece Jacket - insulating layer for wearing over a base layer (read short or long sleeve shirt). Fleece is great because it's lightweight, has good insulating properties, and is fairly breathable but it won't keep you dry.

Soft Shell - a cross between a fleece and a outer shell, personally I'd rate soft shells as the most versatile piece of outerwear if you could only buy one. They'll have some water repelling properties and some insulating properties and should be highly packable. Great for day hikes and as a piece to layer under or over other layers as you pick up other jackets. I wear my Arc'teryx soft shell over a base layer, or over a down sweater, or under a hardshell.

Hard Shell - the most water repellent layer, these are what are typically known as rain jackets, they'll keep you dry but the downside is they're less breathable than a fleece or soft shell and they won't have much insulating value.

Down Jacket - these can come in lots of weights, the patagonia-popularized down-sweater style is thin, super-lightweight, and highly packable, not your highschool North Face puffy coat. Lots of brands make down jackets in lots of fills, just don't get them wet because they lose insulating properties quickly if you do and take a while to dry out. Great for crisp/cool fall days or for putting on once you've set up camp and are hanging out in your tent or by the fire.

Hope this helps get you started, I'd probably suggest you look into a fleece or soft shell for your first jacket if you don't have those covered already.

This is great information, thank you! It sounds like a soft-shell is probably going to be my first pick-up then; I'm thinking about this: http://www.rei.com/product/844720/rei-carbon-river-jacket-mens

Luckily there's an REI right next to my work so I can go in on my lunch break and check everything out before making a final decision.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

MMD3 posted:

Just to add, an alternative to a fleece jacket is a lightweight synthetic insulated jacket; I use the Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody, but plenty of makers have comparable models. These are warmer for their weight than fleece, many models cut the wind better, and they tend to compress better and so take up less space in a pack when not needed. I picked up my Nano Puff for use as some sort of emergency backup insulation piece in the event of wet weather, but it turned out to be the jacket I've used most this past winter. It is too thin to just hang around in if temps are near freezing, but for moving around (hiking, etc.) it is perfect. Now that I think about it, the only fleece I own is an R1 Hoody, and only because it is such a great piece. I've replaced the rest with insulated jackets, and have been very pleased.

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is great information, thank you! It sounds like a soft-shell is probably going to be my first pick-up then; I'm thinking about this: http://www.rei.com/product/844720/rei-carbon-river-jacket-mens

Luckily there's an REI right next to my work so I can go in on my lunch break and check everything out before making a final decision.

You're probably on the right track with a soft shell. My only advice would be to find something with a hood; if it's there, you might be surprised how welcome it can become. I simply don't buy jackets without hoods anymore. If you climb, etc., check to make sure it fits over (or under, but over is better) a helmet.

e: I didn't dig too much, but this looks like REI's hooded soft shell: http://www.rei.com/product/844350/rei-mccone-soft-shell-jacket-mens I have no idea about the fit/quality, but might be worth a look if you're in the store anyway.

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 20, 2013

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
It's dividend time, and I'm going to pick up a new filter. I've been using drops and tablets for a while, but I've been going on a lot of group trips where a pump filter is much more useful. I'm not a big Sawyer fan; they're too much of a pain in dirty water. At least two of this year's trips will be in locations with dirty/silty water. I've had good luck with a Pur/Katadyn Hiker in the past, so I'm looking at either a Katadyn Hiker Pro - for the prefilter - or Vario. I like the flow rate and variable filtering on the Vario, but I've read a lot of complaints about leaking. I can always return it if it leaks, but that's no help on day 2 of 5. I'm pretty sure I'm not leaving much on the table by getting the Hiker Pro - it's lighter, very proven, and the flow rate is decent - but I was wondering if anyone had long term experience with the Vario. I also considered the MSR Hyperflow, but several people have told me they're less than ideal for dirty water; they clog often and the flushing procedure is a pain in the rear end.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Get a gravity filter. They're way, way less work than pump filters.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

BeefofAges posted:

Agreed 1000%. Minimalist shoes take a while to adapt to before you will want to do any kind of distance in them. Don't miss out on a season of hiking and backpacking because you bought the wrong shoes. Get a pair of trail runners and a minimalist second pair when you have the chance.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I like REI's bigger non minimalist version daypack the Traverse 30 - I've had an older model of it for over 6 years and no complaints, it can hold a warm coat or two, food, waters, etcetera for a long day hike (http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/rei-traverse-pack--womens). REI gear is one size fits all I think and will be the cheapest. Gregory packs are nice too, they have a Jade 28, but not sure what size your mom would find comfy without trying on stuff at the store. Honestly I'd encourage her to find her size/favorite brand fits at a physical store and buy it cheap online, or just to go to the next REI used sale event near her and beeline for the backpacks, there should be a few nice women's packs to choose from.

Perfect, thanks.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Business of Ferrets posted:

Just to add, an alternative to a fleece jacket is a lightweight synthetic insulated jacket; I use the Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody, but plenty of makers have comparable models. These are warmer for their weight than fleece, many models cut the wind better, and they tend to compress better and so take up less space in a pack when not needed. I picked up my Nano Puff for use as some sort of emergency backup insulation piece in the event of wet weather, but it turned out to be the jacket I've used most this past winter. It is too thin to just hang around in if temps are near freezing, but for moving around (hiking, etc.) it is perfect. Now that I think about it, the only fleece I own is an R1 Hoody, and only because it is such a great piece. I've replaced the rest with insulated jackets, and have been very pleased.

You're probably on the right track with a soft shell. My only advice would be to find something with a hood; if it's there, you might be surprised how welcome it can become. I simply don't buy jackets without hoods anymore. If you climb, etc., check to make sure it fits over (or under, but over is better) a helmet.

e: I didn't dig too much, but this looks like REI's hooded soft shell: http://www.rei.com/product/844350/rei-mccone-soft-shell-jacket-mens I have no idea about the fit/quality, but might be worth a look if you're in the store anyway.

very true, totally missed synthetic lightweight jackets. I sort of figure they fill the same hole as a down jacket, just that they're better for wetter climates. Similarly I picked up my Patagonia down sweater last winter and it's become my favorite every-day jacket, great for keeping me just that little bit warmer on cold days but so light that it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a jacket. I can tell I'll have some sort of jacket like this in my closet all the time from here on out.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

MMD3 posted:

Lots of softshells these days don't really have any insulation - they're just a pure shell, to be layered like you would with a hardshell, but more breathable. I would actually recommend a lightweight hardshell over a softshell - a good raincoat is just as handy around town as it is stuffed into the top of your pack as a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Well, my overseas trips have all been booked, and it looks like I'll be hiking Mt. Batur in Bali to watch the sunrise, Queenstown Hill in NZ in winter, multiple trails around Franz Josef and Milford Sound in NZ, and a bunch of others too, like rainforest trails in Borneo and Australia. Come July/August, I should have some awesome poo poo to post. In the meantime, I haven't even left the city for god knows how long. There's an outdoor adventure and gear show here this weekend. I think I'll go there Sunday.