Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Stealing is only good against specific rare things some enemies have during story missions and postgame and getting cool stuff later on off of Item World enemies with randomized equipment. Stealing is based almost entirely on the difference between your Thief's level and the target's level, then altered by the rarity of the item in question and I think slightly by the HIT of the Thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man the post game characters are really depressing to me.
Dark Death is a cool addition but half of it is just Disgaea 4 dudes. Adell is once again DLC it seems. Ugh

:negative:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Does dlc ever drop in price? I mean, I got a used copy of d3, but no way am I forking over $50 for dlc. Is any of it must have stuff, or is it all pretty much skippable?

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

Kharmakazy posted:

Does dlc ever drop in price? I mean, I got a used copy of d3, but no way am I forking over $50 for dlc. Is any of it must have stuff, or is it all pretty much skippable?

The Raspberyl DLC is story DLC, but as far as I know it's the only DLC that isn't just "here's a character who probably has an interesting gimmick, but you'll buy because you love them anyways"

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
A new video that Shows off about 15 minutes of the game is out here is the link.

15 minutes of Disgaea D2

The prinnies special move is really reminiscent of bomberman.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can throw in any direction now without the guess work? Thank you so much NIS :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oooh, I like the map preview thing.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

megamariox posted:

The prinnies special move is really reminiscent of bomberman.
It even has the prinny in the top right loving up and blowing himself up at the start for that authentic bomberman feel.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Was that the prinny who used that or Flonne? Seems to fit with her entirely goofy abilities while actually giving her presumably good attacks right out of the gate.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think it was an attack that Prinnies can use if a human character is riding them.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I think it was an attack that Prinnies can use if a human character is riding them.

So riding is like a reverse magichange? Neat.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

sentrygun posted:

Stealing is only good against specific rare things some enemies have during story missions and postgame and getting cool stuff later on off of Item World enemies with randomized equipment. Stealing is based almost entirely on the difference between your Thief's level and the target's level, then altered by the rarity of the item in question and I think slightly by the HIT of the Thief.

HIT of the Hand, not the Thief. The Thief's HIT is irrelevant besides just leveling up in the first place. Positioning also matters significantly in every Disgaea except 1, so get behind the enemy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Your success rate when stealing is gonna be pretty terrible no matter what you do in Disgaea 3 and 4, to be honest. Thieves used to have a special steal formula that gave them a lot of bonuses to their steal rate in Disgaea 2, but now they just use the normal formula with a doubled steal rate, which ends up being zero times two most of the time until you're like level 200.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

So Disgaea D2 should be out in Japan now. How long you think until we start getting videos and data out of that?

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?
Picked up Disgaea D2 today and just started chapter 2. A lot of quality-of-life changes so far.

The cheat shop is really cool, players can adjust exp/mana/hell/mastery gain rates by lowering one value and raising the other. Like here I lowered exp gain from 100% down to 90% and raised hell and weapon mastery rates to 105%

Monster ranks can also be adjusted without passing those silly stronger/weaker enemy bills

They also made diagonal throws a lot easier

Can't say much about the difficult since I only cleared chapter 1. But so far it looks like all items bought from NPC shops do not come with innocents. Getting innocents may come down to stealing from enemies or breaking treasure chests.

Will report back once I get more hours into the game.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Oh boy I can't wait until D2 is out in NA.

On another note, I discovered that you cannot use EU DLC with an US copy of Disgaea the hard way. Welp.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!
So Disgaea D2 reverts back to Weapon Mastery experience bars rather than Fortes?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Yep. Not sure on the specifics, but I assume given all the things they've done to improve story characters in D3 and D4 they'll have something to keep them relevant in every stat.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Well when you create characters you can chose a weapon for them to specialize in giving you the ability to raise it from something like a B to an A or C to B. I would say that this probably stacks with reincarnations so you'll probably be able to do the same for Story Characters when they reincarnate.

On another note has there been any word that classes will still have thier class specific moves? That was a major improvement from Absence of Detention and I really hope they kept it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Unknown_PC posted:

Picked up Disgaea D2 today and just started chapter 2. A lot of quality-of-life changes so far.

The cheat shop is really cool, players can adjust exp/mana/hell/mastery gain rates by lowering one value and raising the other. Like here I lowered exp gain from 100% down to 90% and raised hell and weapon mastery rates to 105%

Monster ranks can also be adjusted without passing those silly stronger/weaker enemy bills

Can't say much about the difficult since I only cleared chapter 1. But so far it looks like all items bought from NPC shops do not come with innocents. Getting innocents may come down to stealing from enemies or breaking treasure chests.

The new graphics look pretty smooth.. but I'm not a fan of the sprite redesigns... they just seem... off somehow.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Unknown_PC posted:

Glorious. Looking forward to more information. And anxiously awaiting whatever ridiculous pre-order bonus NISA gives out... *glances at shelf of tiny disgaea figures*

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah; I'm surprised NISA hasn't started preorders or given any kind of info out on if there's a special version or not. I got my deluxe of Disgaea 4 almost a full week before the actual release date so hoping it happens again :v:

RIP Tiny Fuka figure; my cat dragged you off to places unknown.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Unknown_PC posted:

...Why the gently caress didn't they do this sooner? God it seems like the most obvious goddamn thing in retrospect!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

...Why the gently caress didn't they do this sooner? God it seems like the most obvious goddamn thing in retrospect!

They added Even Stronger/Weaker bills in D2P that did it 5 stages at a time. It made it way nicer but really made it feel obvious they didn't actually think much of it being locked behind something.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

sentrygun posted:

They added Even Stronger/Weaker bills in D2P that did it 5 stages at a time. It made it way nicer but really made it feel obvious they didn't actually think much of it being locked behind something.

Heck D4 just let's you go all the way to strongest with one bill if you like.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Man that 15 minute video makes it look pretty good. I need a US date on this like woah. Bomberman special was amazing.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Had some more playtime with DD2, there are a lot of changes:

• Characters can change their innate evility/passive based on their personality/voice. An example of thief
    here:

Lucky Finger - Increase item rank by 3 when breaking treasure chests

Gold Finger - 100% more HL from defeating enemies

Treasure Sensor - Defeated enemies always drop chests

• All characters can counter skills and spells if they're in range

• Master & Pupil relation can be changed anytime at the homebase. Pupil no longer needs to stand right next to master to use master's skills in battle.

• Item rarity numbers (0~255) are gone, there are just common, rare, legendary quality now. No more hunting for 0~7 legendaries trying to match their rarity numbers.

• Item World (now known as Item Sea in DD2) bills can be passed right before entering first floor and it uses HL instead of mana. There are also chances of automatically entering mystery gates when advancing Item Sea floors as mystery gates don't normally spawn anymore.

• Game Over boots the player back to town instead of the main menu

• Magichange system appears to have been replaced by the mount system.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Having more innate passives for each class sounds really great, but I just know the best ones are going to be linked to the worst voices. :negative:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So now I need three of every class. :negative:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Unknown_PC posted:

Had some more playtime with DD2, there are a lot of changes:
  • All characters can counter skills and spells if they're in range

Actually really don't like this at all. Is there any point to doing a regular attack anymore if you can go into counter chains using skills?

Plus, doesn't this all but guarantee that axe users are going to be eating a counter no matter what they do? Unless there are more ranged axe attacks in later games, I'm still playing D2 DHD here.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

the game over thing is great, I hope this means you can return to base mid map instead of just having to reset the loving game every time you wanna check a postgame map to see what level the enemies are.

Wrist Watch posted:

Actually really don't like this at all. Is there any point to doing a regular attack anymore if you can go into counter chains using skills?

Plus, doesn't this all but guarantee that axe users are going to be eating a counter no matter what they do? Unless there are more ranged axe attacks in later games, I'm still playing D2 DHD here.
Maybe they'll just make axes give high counter rates like the nekomatas.
The bigger concern is this is also gonna make fighting gun/bow users a pain in the rear end, and a huge saftey risk to squishy mages.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The whole counter thing sounds neat; wonder what evilty nekomatas have now though. If those are still a thing anyway.

It's not like I'm gonna cast a spell across the map and the enemy unit is gonna dash across the field to punch me in the face or anything so using skills at a distance I would assume is safe.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tengames posted:

the game over thing is great, I hope this means you can return to base mid map instead of just having to reset the loving game every time you wanna check a postgame map to see what level the enemies are.

Maybe they'll just make axes give high counter rates like the nekomatas.
The bigger concern is this is also gonna make fighting gun/bow users a pain in the rear end, and a huge saftey risk to squishy mages.

If guns still fire in a straight line you'll be fine with spears, bows and magic. But yeah, fighting against bows will be the worst.

Is there a turn limit on riding monsters like there is with Magichange? How does riding a monster affect stats? What happens when a monster/rider pair takes damage?

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Hunter Noventa posted:

If guns still fire in a straight line you'll be fine with spears, bows and magic. But yeah, fighting against bows will be the worst.

Is there a turn limit on riding monsters like there is with Magichange? How does riding a monster affect stats? What happens when a monster/rider pair takes damage?

No turn limits on riding as far as I can tell. While mounted, you'll be using the monster's HP/DEF/RES/Movement. Attacking while mounted uses humanoid's offensive stats and range if it's normal attack. Can't use weapon skills while mounted, but the humanoid can still cast spells.

Killing blow on mount will only kills the monster, humanoid will remain on the field afterwards.

They also nerfed guns a bit according to in-game tips. Gun damage scales with distance, so it deals more damage up close and less damage far away. But supposedly there is 3x3 gun skill now to make up for it.

On another note, active inventory limit is gone, it's like having access to storage all the time, even in battle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Without spoiling much; hows the actual plot so far?

Also thank god for the item/storage thing. So many restarts in the past because I forgot something stupid.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Do the generic human units still learn unique attacks like they did in the Vita port of Disgaea 3?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Wow, it sounds like they're changing up the formula a lot. Personally I am perfectly happy with this.

I like the skill counter thing because it sounds like it'll make it feel a lot more like a strategy RPG instead of just going all-out attack/magic. The mounting system sounds like a slice of min-maxer heaven, and I look forward to building up some strong defensive mounts for my glass cannon mages. Actually needing and having the appropriate tools to build a strong defense as well as offense is a really welcome change.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Unknown_PC posted:

They also nerfed guns a bit according to in-game tips. Gun damage scales with distance, so it deals more damage up close and less damage far away. But supposedly there is 3x3 gun skill now to make up for it.

Do you have a gun user to see how bad the drop off is? That could be ignorable or nearly crippling depending on how severe it is.

Also forgive my ignorance but since I'm still on D2, are Lovers still a thing? In D2 if you really liked Archers, you could stick Archer Lovers on her bow and increase here normal attack range by a max of 2. If that's still in, Archers could make a really nice choice for mage heavy maps. Although even without it they'd still do pretty well.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Lovers were only in D2. There do exist ways to increase your attack range with ranged weapons, if I'm not mistaken. Pretty sure certain ranks of bows and guns in D4 had + range as an attribute, maybe in D3 too. Might have been a Class World thing too? Been too long, can't quite remember.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Well was looking around for more information on DD2 and the characters specials and I found this.

Laharls 4th special

This really makes me wonder about the other characters.

• Locked thread