Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

kuddles posted:

My movie buff brain keeps acting like I'm committing some heinous sin for not participating in this flash sale, though.

Pretty much the same for me, too. Goddamit, I'm at least trying to be responsible. I just fail at it. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Grabbed my first Criterion releases. 12 Angry Men, Following, and Traffic. Only $441 left to go until I get the $50 credit! ...which I'd almost hit with this sale if I were to buy the other 20 films on my wishlist.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Frys is currently doing a BOGO 50% off till mid-March which comes out to a little over $40 for two blus which isn't terrible. Pretty sure it works on online orders as well if you don't have one in the area.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

from CriterionForum.org

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Does anybody else have the Jean Painleve Science is Fiction set, and if so have you noticed the picture quality being a little blocky? Astounding films, but the DVD is a bit pixelated.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Does anybody else have the Jean Painleve Science is Fiction set, and if so have you noticed the picture quality being a little blocky? Astounding films, but the DVD is a bit pixelated.

It looks fine upscaled on my PS3. A lot of the films seem to be grainy from the existing source elements and that can mess with compression quality.

By the way, I can't recommend Lonesome enough. I got it as a blind buy and it's an incredibly charming film. Plus it has two more features by Paul Fejos as extras.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Egbert Souse posted:

It looks fine upscaled on my PS3. A lot of the films seem to be grainy from the existing source elements and that can mess with compression quality.

Alright. I'm at college right now and it might just be my laptop, although normally my laptop plays DVDs with good enough picture quality. I have spring break coming up and have a blu ray player at home I'll give it a shot on.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

By the way, I can't recommend Lonesome enough. I got it as a blind buy and it's an incredibly charming film. Plus it has two more features by Paul Fejos as extras.

I will second Lonesome as it's a fantastic movie - charming is the perfect word for it. That cover art is great too. I still need to check out those other two films.. thanks for the reminder! :doh:

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.
I hope this isn't too much of a derail, but I assume at least some of you will be interested. I'm selling a bunch of stuff, mostly Criterion Blu-rays (some new, some used) over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537496

All of the pertinent details should be in the thread, but I'd like to add that although I've priced them slightly below Amazon's new or used prices, I'm fully aware of the great sales we all take advantage of. I'd obviously prefer to sell them at the prices I have posted, but if there's something you want for a little less, by all means make me an offer.

The ones posted account for about half of my collection and they're the only ones I can "live without" or whatever. As far as out of print Blu-rays, I do have Chungking Express, Pierrot Le Fou, and Playtime if anyone is curious, but it would take a very generous offer for me to part with them.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Here's a guy who does lots of fake Criterion covers. Some of them are pretty great:

And some of them are kinda, uh:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Here's a guy who does lots of fake Criterion covers. Some of them are pretty great:

And some of them are kinda, uh:

I really like the Point Blank one they've got, but, man, all those photo montage covers are wretched.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Janus recently got the rights to Cronenberg's The Brood. http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/sarah-finklea/Content?oid=3320362

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New announcements postponed until Monday. Sounds like Wild Strawberries will be one of them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

New announcements postponed until Monday. Sounds like Wild Strawberries will be one of them.

I really, really hope the short film De Duva is an extra. It's a parody of The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. Bergman allegedly thought it was hilarious.

From reading Criterion Forum, it looks like Eraserhead also seems likely.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#139 - WILD STRAWBERRIES (BR, 6/11)

•New high-definition digital film transfer
•Introduction by director Ingmar Bergman
•same features as previous edition

#660 - THINGS TO COME (BR/DVD, 6/18)

•New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring film historian and writer David Kalat
•Interview with writer and cultural historian Christopher Frayling on the film’s design
•Film historian Bruce Eder on Arthur Bliss’s musical score
•Audio recording from 1936 of a reading from H. G. Wells’s writing about the “wandering sickness,” the plague in Things to Come
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien
•More!

#661 - MARKETA LAZAROVA (BR/2-disc DVD, 6/18)

•New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New interviews with actors Magda Vášáryová, Ivan Palúch, and Vlastimil Harapes and costume designer Theodor Pištek
•New interviews with film historian Peter Hames and journalist and critic Antonín Liehm
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholar Tom Gunning and author and translator Alex Zucker and a 1969 interview with Vlácil by Liehm
•More!

#662 - SAFETY LAST! (BR/2-disc DVD, 6/18)

•New 2K digital film restoration
•Musical score by composer Carl Davis from 1989, synchronized and restored under his supervision and presented in uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray edition
•Alternate score by organist Gaylord Carter from the late 1960s, presented in uncompressed monaural on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring film critic Leonard Maltin and director and Harold Lloyd archivist Richard Correll
•Introduction by Suzanne Lloyd, Lloyd’s granddaughter and president of Harold Lloyd Entertainment
•Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius, a 104-minute documentary from 1989
•Three newly restored Lloyd shorts: Take a Chance (1918), Young Mr. Jazz (1919), and His Royal Slyness (1920), with commentary by Correll and film writer John Bengtson
•Locations and Effects, a new documentary featuring Bengtson and special effects expert Craig Barron
•New interview with Davis
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Ed Park

#663 - SHOAH (4-disc BR/6-disc DVD, 6/25)

•Three additional films by director Claude Lanzmann: A Visitor from the Living (1999, 68 minutes), Sobibor, October 14, 1943, 4 p.m. (2001, 102 minutes), and The Karski Report (2010, 54 minutes)
•New conversation between critic Serge Toubiana and Lanzmann
•Interview with Lanzmann about A Visitor from the Living and Sobibor
•New conversation between associate director of photography Caroline Champetier and filmmaker Arnaud Desplechin
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and writings by Lanzmann

Wild Strawberries is an obvious upgrade for me. No burning desire to see any of the others again, but may rent them for the extras.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Definite pickup on Marketa for the B&N summer sale, maybe considering Safety Last! and Shoah.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Safety Last owns so loving hard.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I'll take a gamble and blind buy Safety Last! during the B&N sale, it'll cheer me up after Shoah.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

Safety Last owns so loving hard.

I sincerely hope they get the rights to Speedy, though I'm a little sad they didn't just go with a separate disk for just shorts.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Sheldrake posted:

I sincerely hope they get the rights to Speedy, though I'm a little sad they didn't just go with a separate disk for just shorts.

I'd buy a box set of Speedy, Girl Shy, The Cameraman, The Kid Brother, and The Freshman in half a heartbeat.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

I'd buy a box set of Speedy, Girl Shy, The Cameraman, The Kid Brother, and The Freshman in half a heartbeat.

One of these things is not like the others.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

One of these things is not like the others.

Oh, you're right, I got The Cameraman and Why Worry? mixed up. Can't keep track of the guys running around in the middle of gang wars.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Nice to see Harold Lloyd getting the Criterion treatment. I expect that they'll push out his other works like they've been doing with Chaplin. Hopefully Speedy is next but odds are it'll be The Freshman if anything.

Things to Come and Shoah seem slightly interesting although that'll have to wait until my wallet's replenished.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Safety Last and Wild Strawberries are must-haves. Safety Last is one of the most essential silents and quite funny, too. The restoration 35mm prints looked incredible. Great to see Kevin Brownlow's documentary show up as an extra. His docs on Chaplin and Keaton are amazing.

Sheldrake posted:

They have a partnership with the Harold Lloyd Estate, so you can expect everything to eventually come out. I'm guessing a shorts collection is planned since that's the only reason not to include High and Dizzy, as well as Never Weaken, which are both set in buildings with similar daredevil stunts. On the other hand, the three shorts on Criterion's release were not on New Line's set. This is promising.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Criterion handles the films. My guess is that they'll end up with some double or triple features for the shorter features, probably pair up the talkies since only Movie Crazy is a quality film. And I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up paired with The Kid Brother. Welcome Danger is supposed to be pretty awful and it didn't even make it onto New Line's box set.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

My guess is that they'll end up with some double or triple features for the shorter features, probably pair up the talkies since only Movie Crazy is a quality film.

Get outta here, The Sin of Harold Diddlebock is solid.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'll finally have to bite the bullet and see Shoah.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

Get outta here, The Sin of Harold Diddlebock is solid.

drat, I forgot about that! While the Lloyd Estate doesn't control it, that would be a perfect bonus on The Freshman. The only problem would be that it may be part of either the RKO library at Warners (I doubt Criterion would go through the trouble after it taking years to get Badlands from them) or the Republic library (which Olive Film has from Paramount). It has never had an official release, so who knows.

Movie Crazy is almost as great as Lloyd's best silents. It has the odd distinction of being mostly directed by Lloyd himself since Clyde Bruckman was absent due to his alcoholism problems. It doesn't have the mind-numbing obnoxiousness of Welcome Danger or Feet First. The Cat's Paw is also quite good, but the ethnic stereotypes will rub a lot of people the wrong way (even if surprisingly progressive for its time).

Also, I'd love to see The Cameraman turn up with Criterion if Warner licenses it. They could easily do a 2-disc Blu with The Cameraman and Spite Marriage, Kevin Brownlow's two documentaries on Keaton (A Hard Act to Follow and So Funny It Hurt), plus a few of his sound films (his first talkie Free and Easy is garbage, though).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 19, 2013

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

drat, I forgot about that! While the Lloyd Estate doesn't control it, that would be a perfect bonus on The Freshman. The only problem would be that it may be part of either the RKO library at Warners (I doubt Criterion would go through the trouble after it taking years to get Badlands from them) or the Republic library (which Olive Film has from Paramount). It has never had an official release, so who knows.

Pretty sure Sin is in the public domain.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Wow, nice. Of that batch, I'll probably scramble to pick up Things to Come, Safety Last and Shoah at the next B&N sale.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Things to Come and Safety Last sound awesome. I'm not so sure about Shoah. I could barely endure Night and Fog and it's nowhere near as long as Shoah.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Macrame_God posted:

Things to Come and Safety Last sound awesome. I'm not so sure about Shoah. I could barely endure Night and Fog and it's nowhere near as long as Shoah.
A while back for a thread here in CineD I put together a list of my personal favourite films. The `top ten', a kind of categorisation I'm not particularly fond of, consisted of (in chronological order):
  • City Lights (1931)
  • Night of the Hunter (1955)
  • Vertigo (1958)
  • 8 1/2 (1963)
  • Chimes at Midnight (1965)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
  • Faces (1968)
  • Raging Bull (1980)
  • Shoah (1985)
  • Ran (1985)
Of those, Shoah is the only one that doesn't float in and out of the list as the whim strikes me. I'm not saying that it's my personal favourite on that list, but it's the one film that, whenever I'm thinking along the lines of films which are among The Great Films in the abstract, absolutely must be included.

It's certainly an important film entirely as a historical document, and it is largely on this basis that it has earned its reputation. There is much to be admired in Lanzmann's approach, eschewing the use of historical footage, recreations, and the other standard approaches to conceptualising acts of genocide committed by the Nazis. The hours and hours of personal testimony, interrogation, confession are potent stuff.

But I also think that Shoah looks increasingly important as this mode of documentary filmmaking becomes ever more inflected by our modern obsession with `reality' media. When drones and rapists can both be expected to supply youtube video of their actions to whomever cares to watch, what need is there of Lanzmann? Any Nazis of the future will no doubt blog and tweet and youtube their transgressions as a matter of course. So as time goes on I think it will serve not only as a vital catalogue of firsthand accounts of the Shoah, but also a document of a time when every act of infamy great and small would as an organic part of its commission include self-documentation with cell phone camera.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, while Shoah is a very well-made documentary and I believe it totally deserves the esteem it's held in, I still think Night and Fog is the definitive film about the Holocaust. N&F makes the same point in an equally effective (and absolutely heartwrenching) manner, and in an eighteenth of the time.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 19, 2013

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
Eh, I haven't seen Shoah yet (gotta check it out when this gets released) but from what I've read about it, it sounds substantially different than Night and Fog in everything from its conceptual method to its visuals. They're both about "remembrance" and the legacy of the Holocaust, but comparing them against one another seems a bit unfair.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It certainly seems to be, but it's odd how only the 1947 cut is used on the myriad of public domain editions, but not the 1950 RKO re-cut. Sort of like how all public domain versions of Mr. Arkadin seem to be the American cut (with the right title) instead of the European version or even the longer cut held by Corinth Films.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

It certainly seems to be, but it's odd how only the 1947 cut is used on the myriad of public domain editions, but not the 1950 RKO re-cut. Sort of like how all public domain versions of Mr. Arkadin seem to be the American cut (with the right title) instead of the European version or even the longer cut held by Corinth Films.

What's the RKO recut like?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SubG posted:

A while back for a thread here in CineD I put together a list of my personal favourite films. The `top ten', a kind of categorisation I'm not particularly fond of, consisted of (in chronological order):
  • City Lights (1931)
  • Night of the Hunter (1955)
  • Vertigo (1958)
  • 8 1/2 (1963)
  • Chimes at Midnight (1965)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
  • Faces (1968)
  • Raging Bull (1980)
  • Shoah (1985)
  • Ran (1985)
Of those, Shoah is the only one that doesn't float in and out of the list as the whim strikes me.

City Lights only seems to leave the list; it always leaves a flower behind.

(City Lights cannot come out soon enough)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

What's the RKO recut like?

From reading IMDB and Wikipedia, it seems to have been edited down, scenes reshot, and sequences with talking animals added all under the supervision of Howard Hughes. All signs point to Hughes leaving his better filmmaking skills behind after the early 1930s...

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Shoah, especially at the $99 price tag, is probably meant more as an institutional buy. Which makes sense since I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch it more than once. I have some problems with Lanzmann as an interviewer, which bleeds into the core structure of the film, but it's still an incredible document that deserves to be seen once.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

WickedIcon posted:

Honestly, while Shoah is a very well-made documentary and I believe it totally deserves the esteem it's held in, I still think Night and Fog is the definitive film about the Holocaust. N&F makes the same point in an equally effective (and absolutely heartwrenching) manner, and in an eighteenth of the time.
Out of curiosity, what is `the same point'? I really don't see them having `the same point' any more than I'd say that, I dunno, Top Hat (1935) and Faces (1968) have `the same point' because they're both concerned with the difficulties of romantic love.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Shoah, especially at the $99 price tag, is probably meant more as an institutional buy. Which makes sense since I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch it more than once. I have some problems with Lanzmann as an interviewer, which bleeds into the core structure of the film, but it's still an incredible document that deserves to be seen once.
What problems? The most common complaint about Lanzmann I hear is how he badgers some of the subjects of his interviews. This is true, but I don't know why it is a problem unless we for some reason want to pretend that genocide is a subject upon which we should be expected to keep an open mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SubG posted:

What problems? The most common complaint about Lanzmann I hear is how he badgers some of the subjects of his interviews. This is true, but I don't know why it is a problem unless we for some reason want to pretend that genocide is a subject upon which we should be expected to keep an open mind.
Yes, his badgering of the interviewees is a big part of my problem. It has nothing to do with being open minded and more about how the technique inhibits truth. There are several subjects in the film who I felt could have given much more complex and revealing answers who clearly become guarded and defensive about what they are saying. As such, his badgering harms the historical record that the film is trying to present and it brings him into the movie for little purpose. I'm not against badering interviewers all the time, I think it works for something like The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On where the interviewer is as much a subject of the film as the Japanese military structure it's investigating, but not so much in a film that is purportedly about the Holocaust where there is little direct information about Lanzmann's experience but a ton of implied information about his point of view. I don't think this makes the film less of a landmark cinematic achievement, or a less worthwhile watch, but I do think it makes it a less complete and informative document about the Holocaust.