Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
MM is my favorite because its so atypical to Zelda games. It keeps a lot of the familiar aspects but adds a neat mechanic ontop of it.

I don't know how much of my good will towards the game is nostalgia though, Its been a good 11 years since I last played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003
After a while I pretty much forgot about the clock. It wasn't until the end when finishing the remaining side quests, and I had to wait around for things, that I noticed it again. It was a fun mechanic overall.

Majoras Mask, Twilight Princess, and LttP would be my favorites I guess. Zelda II is right up there too for some weird reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just love that the moon really does inch closer and closer as time goes by, not just in sudden jumps after a set period of time. I also love that some NPCs realize it pretty early while others are in denial until pretty much the last night. Majora's Mask was so good.

LividLiquid posted:

1.) The ticking clock freaks me out and renders me unable to relax when exploring. Yes, even after I slowed time.

That's really a problem on your end, man. That timer becomes a non-factor pretty much as soon as the world becomes truly open, and you can just rewind time back to the first day once it's about to run out, which guess what, isn't any more inconvenient than warping back to town to get items refilled or anything similar in any other Zelda. It's equivalent to freaking out about the timer in old Beat-em-ups, even though it's basically impossible for the clock to run out unless you go eat an entire meal without pausing.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 19, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LividLiquid posted:

If we don't enjoy being in a hurry instead of taking the time to stop and smell the roses, we're bad at videogames. Okay, then. Good to know that the way I've been playing Zelda games since the early 80s is incorrect.

I'm being mostly facetious, but really, the whole game is designed so every item (significantly) decreases the amount time you have to re-do anything in case you have to go back in time. Also, with time slowed you have 6 hours (if I recall correctly) before the Moon hits which is a drat lot of time, you can slog through the game and beat each of the four zones a cycle each.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Majora's Mask is the most thematically powerful game in the series. Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker come close as well, and not coincidentally those four games were the ones whose scripts were mostly written by Nintendo game designer Yoshiaki Koizumi. The gameplay and the narrative reinforce each other so closely that it can be difficult to judge either in isolation, but it's possible that someone who's digging what the game has to say about society, despair, and isolation will overlook the inconvenience of the time cycle - or vice versa.

It all starts with the moon, right? Every time the camera reorients itself - because you walked out a door, you teleported, or it's sunrise or sunset in an exterior environment - the moon is in the frame. Even interior environments periodically quake as it comes nearer and nearer, so the reminders are omnipresent (to say nothing of the gossip stones counting down to the end of the world, a clock that literally says "Final" on the third day, etc.). The unprecedented and inevitable disaster it represents is unbearable to think about, but impossible not to, and that's basically the definition of despair - a despair that has left the people of Termina practically catatonic. No matter how deeply they deny it, the only ones unaffected are those who are unaware of it, and children who don't fully understand it.

In the face of armageddon, day-to-day setbacks like canceled performances, stolen goods, and running out of toilet paper - to say nothing of wrongful executions, impending starvation, and mummy infestations - take on an apocalyptic gravitas themselves, as if the moon looming down crushed the life from everybody. What's the point of trying, when soon there will be nothing left. Link, the hero, can give people help and relief, but his work is always undone, because what they need is to regain the strength to face life's hardships. Even if he defeats Majora at the end of a cycle without doing anything else, when the credits roll, the monkey will be free, spring will have come to the mountains, Lulu will be reunited with her children, the King of Ikana will be resting in peace, and Kafei will be free of his curse. Once there's a reason to go on living, Link is incidental: they all know what they have to do, and what is there besides despair that keeps them from it?

Indeed, the desire to help people with their problems is embodied by the Bombers' Notebook, and by the creed of that organization. The Bombers are children; it is understandable that a child's naïveté would express the idea that the best way to help people is to solve their problems. And, to be fair, it does help them, and they express their gratitude (heart pieces - Twilight Princess, amusingly, makes explicit the connection between hearts, the gameplay mechanic, and gratitude). But helping people doesn't stop the moon from falling except very indirectly; the help he gives them gives them the strength to help him, but they remain doomed.

The only thing Link truly needs to do is to free the souls of the Giants, so that they can keep their promise to preserve the world. Heroes do things that ordinary people cannot. In fact, clearing the temples is the only things Link does that requires heroism; everything else, he does with the aid of a mask that already belonged to somebody else. Masks are everywhere in Termina; people wear masks to represent a particular social role, a rank, an office, or even just an acknowledgment of a rare talent. In Termina, the mask you wear determines how people see you, according to the most obvious metaphor ever, which in turn indicates what you're socially capable of doing. The magic masks are different: Link finds a dead hero, lays them to peaceful rest with the Song of Healing, and takes up their burdens along with their forms. But even that is just a stronger form of what masks are always used for, which is assuming the role that the mask represents.

(If Link collects all the masks, he can obtain the Fierce Deity's Mask, which allows him to transform into a vengeful god of terrible power. A person who can be and do anything, unconstrained by society, might well be compared to a god.)

Many of the masks emerge from poignant stories. The Postman's Hat, for instance, is worn by a man who relies on his dedication to his duty to remain strong. On the final day, when nearly everybody has abandoned, he longs to flee to join them, but that would mean abandoning his duty, and since his duty is the only thing that's kept him able to go on living, how can he abandon it? At the end of his quest, Link gives him the justification to abandon his job without giving up his identity. Link's reward is the ability to find a heart piece in a mailbox; after he has witnessed the postman's dedication, he can perform his duties and experience the gratitude that he wins by his tireless service.

Link, meanwhile, is mostly alone. He drifted into Termina in the course of searching for a lost friend (it's Navi, but that fact isn't relevant to the story, and so she's unnamed). His memories of Zelda are what give him the power to push back the end of the world for three more days, but at the same time, it's impossible for him to form a lasting connection with anyone except Tatl, who, too, is searching for a lost friend (albeit "lost" in a different sense). With his masks, he can be in Termina's society, but because of the distance they create he can never be of it, except when he is borrowing the body of Mikau, Darmani, or the Deku butler's son. He enters the temples utterly alone, cut off even from the great fairies who were overcome in defending them.

Any dungeon in Zelda called a temple is, or at least once was, a place of worship. In each of the societies of Termina, there's someone who remembers (as Anju's grandmother recounts) that in times of dire need, the people should go to the temple to call on the gods for aid. Skull Kid remembers that, and so he uses his magic to make the temples inaccessible, but in some cases, there's no need for him to even try. The Deku Princess and the eldest monkey both know what needs to be done, and the poison in the swamp doesn't stop them from getting to Woodfall Temple, only the monsters. Only Darmani thinks to visit Snowhead Temple, but the blizzard suffices to defeat him. Mikau is the only one who can reach Great Bay Temple, but he was killed by pirates. And there's nobody left in Ikana to worship at Stone Tower Temple. So increasingly, when Link goes to the temples to petition the gods, he is the only one left who knows that he must, and that's why he's alone.

I kind of lost track of where I was going with that. In conclusion, some people love the way that time's constant march is an inexorable reminder of impending catastrophe, and some people hate how it means you've got to alternately hurry to finish in time and then wait for the next thing to happen, and that's okay. As long as we can all agree that Bottom of the Well is bullshit, no other disagreement matters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

That's really a problem on your end, man. That timer becomes a non-factor pretty much as soon as the world becomes truly open, and you can just rewind time back to the first day once it's about to run out, which guess what, isn't any more inconvenient than warping back to town to get items refilled or anything similar in any other Zelda. It's equivalent to freaking out about the timer in old Beat-em-ups, even though it's basically impossible for the clock to run out unless you go eat an entire meal without pausing.
This isn't true at all. I got most of the way through a dungeon (or maybe it was the run up to the dungeon) and had to repeat all of my actions again because I ran out of time. I ran out of time a lot, and when I didn't, it was because I was rushing through tasks, which I don't find fun in the slightest. There's a lot of time once you can slow things down, sure, but tons of things need to be done during certain periods of certain days, so the time becomes a factor once again. It wasn't a problem for you. Bully for you. It was a problem for me, and that's not a problem with the game, or me. Sometimes art isn't made for everybody. Not everybody needs to be able to enjoy the art you like.

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't take my opinion as some kind of personal affront, or failing that, stop telling me that I don't enjoy games correctly.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

ShadeofDante posted:

Speaking of Majora's Mask this is uh... certainly a thing... :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf7JNzo6DZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyazYYev7Nw
Before you watch this, know this is NOT real. This was made by some guy with a really good ability for computer graphics.

I want this to be real though. It is basically what a redone HD Majora's Mask would look like. It is worth a watch and would make Nintendo a shitload of money if made :)

Runaway Five fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 19, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LividLiquid posted:

This isn't true at all. I got most of the way through a dungeon (or maybe it was the run up to the dungeon) and had to repeat all of my actions again because I ran out of time. I ran out of time a lot, and when I didn't, it was because I was rushing through tasks, which I don't find fun in the slightest. There's a lot of time once you can slow things down, sure, but tons of things need to be done during certain periods of certain days, so the time becomes a factor once again. It wasn't a problem for you. Bully for you. It was a problem for me, and that's not a problem with the game, or me. Sometimes art isn't made for everybody. Not everybody needs to be able to enjoy the art you like.

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't take my opinion as some kind of personal affront, or failing that, stop telling me that I don't enjoy games correctly.

But you know once you get the song that opens any said temple and activate the Owl Statue that's always right next to the pedestal where you need to play the song you can go back in time and go straight to the temple? And if any of the temples took you beyond 6 hours then I really don't know what to tell you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is easy for me to understand why someone would dislike Majora's Mask, especially if they were stressed out by the time mechanic. When I first played it I didn't like it for the same reason I initially didn't like Pikmin. The time limit had me feeling constantly scared, and I couldn't get myself to just relax and not worry about it. Eventually what I had to do with both games was consult a walkthrough for a bit to get me into the feel of the game until I could convince myself that I could handle it and didn't need someone holding my hand.

If I remember correctly, an earlier iteration of this thread actually went to a similar place it's gone now when LividLiquid was actually giving the game a real solid try and people were doing their best to coach him through before he decided that it wasn't for him. The fact is that while it's true that MM can tend to get a unfairly bad rap, it also can be a genuinely stressful feeling game - even if that doesn't reflect the reality in terms of consequence of failure. If you can't find a way to get your head into a place where you can relax like I did, it just won't be fun and that's okay.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Normally, time in Majora's Mask passed at one minute per second, so that the duration of a cycle is 72 minutes. That's 144 minutes if you play the Inverted Song of Time. If you spend one cycle to gain access to the dungeon (two or three may be necessary for Stone Tower, as Ikana Castle is practically a dungeon in its own right) and one to clear it, that's a pretty comfortable limit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
A lot of you seem to be offended that some people don't like some games and that's kind of weird! We already have the Final Fantasy thread for that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bongo Bill posted:

Normally, time in Majora's Mask passed at one minute per second, so that the duration of a cycle is 72 minutes. That's 144 minutes if you play the Inverted Song of Time. If you spend one cycle to gain access to the dungeon (two or three may be necessary for Stone Tower, as Ikana Castle is practically a dungeon in its own right) and one to clear it, that's a pretty comfortable limit.

The Inverted Song actually slows it down to 1/3rd of the time, so you get over 3 hours. Shy of my initial guess of 6 hours, but still plenty.

Looper posted:

A lot of you seem to be offended that some people don't like some games and that's kind of weird! We already have the Final Fantasy thread for that.

I don't think anyone is offended, really.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Looper posted:

We're not offended, it's just that people are putting up reasons that don't make sense for not liking the game. It's okay to not like it, but if the reason you don't like it is that you never had enough time to do the dungeons, but you weren't making use of the Song of Inverted Time and doing dungeons on a fresh cycle (there's a warp point in front of every one, you have no excuse!), well that's just you making things stupidly hard on yourself. It's like complaining that Final Fantasy 13 has a stupid battle system where all you do is hit X over and over again but never bothering to learn how to properly use the Paradigm system.

"It's just not for me" is perfectly fine, and we won't begrudge you that as long as you gave it a fair shake. "I'm not going to learn the system but it's really stupid and I hate it" is not.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just gonna go ahead a tell a story since we're talking about Majora's Mask again and I don't think I've ever shared this story before. I may be embellishing a bit but this is the gist of it.

When I first rented it, it was near Halloween, and my sister threw a Halloween Party. A few of the kids at the party wanted to see the game, since it had only been out for a few days by that point and I was the lucky bastard who had rented the only copy the video store had. (and kept it well past when it was due :) ) Mostly I just did stuff like the spider houses and hanging around Ikana, you know, trying to keep the Halloween theme going. At one point I showed everyone that the moon does, in fact, move while playing the game, and to prove it I pointed out a red star near the moon and we all watched it until it disappeared, which explicated some gasps and everyone thought was cool. By everyone I meant like the four other kids who actually liked Zelda and were watching me play or taking turns playing themselves. Time was never an issue, I found out about the song of double time pretty quickly and used it all the time, and I always rewound time before the final day was over. But then one kid asked, "What happens when you stay until the moon falls?"

So that's what we did, we sat and waited for the moon to fall. Well, not sat, but we didn't do anything in the game. We wandered around the field and town. We killed some jellies and then wandered back into town. We just kinda killed time waiting for the moon to fall, not skipping ahead because we just wanted to know what it was like to wait, or I guess maybe nobody thought to skip ahead. By the third day we were really tired of waiting, the party had died down by that point cause it was getting late but there were still about five or so kids milling around. I'd turned up the TV by that point and the music was creating a really creepy vibe. Kinda ominous and foreboding. We'd stopped taking turns playing so it was just myself holding the controller, so I climbed to the top of the tower that was built by the clock and just watched the moon. The clock hit midnight and the clocktower cutscene played.

Then this music kicked in and everybody just fell quiet. Like, nobody said a word for a good solid minute. Then one kid said maybe we shouldn't wait till the moon hit and should just rewind time again. I said no since we were waiting for the moon to hit this entire time so we shouldn't quit now. Another kid said it was time for him to leave but he didn't go anywhere. My sister wanted me to turn off the sound but I didn't listen to her and she didn't try to do it herself. We all just sat and watched the clock tick down, steadily getting more freaked out and worried about what was going to happen. The tension in the room was thick enough to cut with a knife.

And then the moon hit. And everybody was both disappointed at how simple it was, and relieved that it was over. One of my favourite game memories ever, and one of the reasons I thought that MM was one of the best games ever. Because if you just sat there, the world would end. Not many games out there that would ever dare to have the world end because the guy playing the game stayed still for too long.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I've complained about Majora's Mask in this thread before, but in the time since I've sat down and plowed my way through it.

I don't dislike Majora's Mask at all, but I feel like it's one of those games where you shouldn't feel bad for looking at a guide early and often. It's not the ticking timer, it's the fact that there are some seriously obtuse chains of puzzles, and if you get too off-track you often have to reset time and repeat a lot of boring crap before you get another chance. There's a lot of awesome stuff in MM and the tone is unique from anything else I've ever played, but you've either got to have a lot of time and patience or some outside help to get through it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In regards to the time limit, I watched a video yesterday that showed how different Luigi's Mansion was originally going to be, by having much more difficult mechanics, as well as a time limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-8JDO3ZoC8

With Majora's Mask, Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin, you could see that Nintendo were experimenting with time limits in various different ways. However, I prefer the way Majora's Mask handled it, because even though I've never played the first Pikmin, I could understand how frustrating it could be to lose all your progress when you're so close to the end.

Shenmue also had a restriction on the number of in-game days that could pass, where the villain would return and kill you. It would require you to waste a spectacular amount of time, but it seems unfair for them to put it in a sandbox-esque game, especially when it's not always very clear what you need to do to advance.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, at least with Majora's Mask, you have a god drat time machine. Most progress can be skipped. Warp straight to dungeon, play song you learned to reveal dungeon, if you got the dungeon item that typically let's you skip most of the keys, usually about half the dungeon.

It's like groundhog day the game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah. I still think the Majora's Mask form of time limit is far less limiting than, say, Fallout 1.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I started playing Minish Cap today. So far, quite fun! And really nicely animated, I like all the little touches. Having to juggle items on just two buttons is kinda throwing me after years spent having three items on tap in addition to sword and shield.

Is this considered a good Zelda?

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007
That depends on who you ask.

I consider it a good Zelda. I had a ton of fun with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Story's kinda weak, and the game is a little too linear, but it's really impressive how much of the feel of the 3D titles they were able to pack in a GBA game. I like it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It also has, in my opinion, the hardest last boss of any game outside Zelda II. It's on my short list of boss fights in the series that made me feel I really accomplished something by beating the boss (I'm looking at you, Gyorg).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I really like the Minish Cap but yeah the game is railroaded as gently caress. The plot was the same "Save Zelda" deal as the others. Also the final boss fight has four different parts (a timed gauntlet and three boss forms) and if you die you have to redo all of it, so find all the bottles and stock up on potions beforehand.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My biggest complaint with Minish Cap is that it's too hard to 100% complete. Disappearing and semi-randomized Kinstone fusion sucks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

My biggest complaint with Minish Cap is that it's too hard to 100% complete. Disappearing and semi-randomized Kinstone fusion sucks.

I seriously completely forgot about that poo poo.

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003
Minish Cap was a fun game, and yeah, that last boss was really difficult. I wouldn't mind seeing more 2d zelda games like it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
My only real problems with Minish Cap are the tedious and obtuse mandatory quests inbetween dungeons (kind of a theme with Capcom-developed Zelda games, come to think of it), and Ezlo. Ezlo is like the proto-Fi in unbearably obnoxious helper technology.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My one big beef with Majora's Mask is that only the humans seem to care about the moon. The Dekus, Gorons, and Zoras don't have a robust 3 day schedule and don't really seem to acknowledge the impending apocalypse to the extent the citizens of Clock Town do.

That said, it is my number 1 all time favorite Zelda game.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

jivjov posted:

My one big beef with Majora's Mask is that only the humans seem to care about the moon. The Dekus, Gorons, and Zoras don't have a robust 3 day schedule and don't really seem to acknowledge the impending apocalypse to the extent the citizens of Clock Town do.

That said, it is my number 1 all time favorite Zelda game.

The Dekus, Gorons, and Zoras have their own disasters that they are focused on. The Dekus have had their princess kidnapped (or so they think) and the swamp has become poisoned. The Goron's great leader is dead and they are freezing to death. The Zoras have had their eggs stolen, they can't have their rock concert, and the water around their home has become murky/foggy.

Yeah I know the whole "giant moon falling" should get their attention, but they do have their own major problems they are worried about. And when you beat the dungeon of the respective area it fixes their problems :) The poison swamp goes away, the icy mountain gets spring weather, etc...

At least a lot of people in Clock Town recognize the moon problem. That was one of my big beefs with Twilight Princess. The world is supposed to be in a huge state of peril. People are being sucked into this scary Twilight Realm and towards the end there is a big rear end barrier around Hyrule Castle. None of the citizens care. Only one character, a Goron, even comments on the barrier, and he only does so one time. In Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask there was a sense of urgency. You could see how "bad" things were and it was your job to fix them. In Twilight Princess, the world's citizens are 99% oblivious/dumb/indifferent to what is supposed to be a disaster. Even the castle guards (Outside the castle) are just like "Eh, whatever, some huge barrier around the castle, no biggie, who cares!" Let's just go about our day of NOT defending the castle!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
What I love about Majora's Mask is that it doesn't outright tell you the world's gonna end and you'll have to go back in time to stop it until it actually happens. You're just given an ultimatum by the mask guy on getting back your and his poo poo to fix your crappy wood body. The giant looming moon and day-by-day degradation of Clock Town's music are a great example of showing and not telling.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every region of Termina faces simultaneous ecological and political breakdowns ultimately orchestrated by Skull Kid. In Woodfall, it's poison and the monkey affair; in Snowhead, it's winter and the disappearance of Darmani and the Elder; in Great Bay, where the Indigo-Gos appear to be the only established authority, it's the warming of the seas and child-ransoming pirates; in Ikana, the dead are more restless than usual and the only living adult has been cursed; and in Clock Town, the end of the world is about to happen and the Mayor is too indecisive to provide leadership.

The apocalypse thing is obviously the most serious of these problems, though any one of those issues would itself be catastrophic for the whole country (which is loosely implied to have a complex interdependent economy). The moon serves as a symbolic representation of all the disasters, however, because they share a common cause: each of them was set in motion by Skull Kid and can only be undone by the giants he sealed away.

For people everywhere to be freaking out about the moon would be appropriate, but this would also squander the limited detail available to represent the other elements of the story. The fact that the moon can be seen from anywhere in Termina is reason enough to believe that its fall is a grave concern for everybody. As it is, there are a few people who mention it, mostly on the third day.

Runaway Five posted:

At least a lot of people in Clock Town recognize the moon problem. That was one of my big beefs with Twilight Princess. The world is supposed to be in a huge state of peril. People are being sucked into this scary Twilight Realm and towards the end there is a big rear end barrier around Hyrule Castle. None of the citizens care. Only one character, a Goron, even comments on the barrier, and he only does so one time. In Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask there was a sense of urgency. You could see how "bad" things were and it was your job to fix them. In Twilight Princess, the world's citizens are 99% oblivious/dumb/indifferent to what is supposed to be a disaster. Even the castle guards (Outside the castle) are just like "Eh, whatever, some huge barrier around the castle, no biggie, who cares!" Let's just go about our day of NOT defending the castle!

Twilight Princess didn't have Yoshiaki Koizumi involved as a writer, and it shows. I'm planning on writing up some things about the other games he worked on, because they're the ones that can actually stand up to that kind of scrutiny.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Runaway Five posted:

The Dekus, Gorons, and Zoras have their own disasters that they are focused on. The Dekus have had their princess kidnapped (or so they think) and the swamp has become poisoned. The Goron's great leader is dead and they are freezing to death. The Zoras have had their eggs stolen, they can't have their rock concert, and the water around their home has become murky/foggy.

Yeah I know the whole "giant moon falling" should get their attention, but they do have their own major problems they are worried about. And when you beat the dungeon of the respective area it fixes their problems :) The poison swamp goes away, the icy mountain gets spring weather, etc...

Oh yeah, I know they all have poo poo going on, they just feel lacking compared to Clock Town in terms of "poo poo that they're up to in the 3 day cycle" to me. Clock Town has NPC schedules and whatnot, whereas the non-humans just stand about spouting their lines for 72 game-hours.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Regy Rusty posted:

And that bloody figurines-for-shells gambling game. Oh god that got really tedious really quickly.

I love the way the cats and dogs react to you when you're running around tiny, though, and the sprite and background design is really nice.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What's the best way to play Majora's Mask nowadays? Are there upres features/texture packs out there or anything? I ask because N64 stuff looks so loving janky nowadays. I'd like to try the game out at some point, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The best way to play it is to hire about a hundred actors and build to scale replicas of the game environment, and wander around. If it takes you more than three days to take it all in watch Melancholia.

I made that stupid post because I was just thinking how awesome it would be if there were a Zelda theme park.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I started playing Minish Cap today. So far, quite fun! And really nicely animated, I like all the little touches. Having to juggle items on just two buttons is kinda throwing me after years spent having three items on tap in addition to sword and shield.

Is this considered a good Zelda?

One word of advice. I started playing a long time ago and put it down in frustration. I recently picked it up again and started over and got through it. What frustrated me? The main town has tons of stuff to do while minish, but barriers almost everywhere so you can't actually do anything. If you are exploring and you can't figure out how to get an item or where a path leads, 90% chance you don't have the item yet. You don't get full range to explore everywhere until very late game. And at that point you have access to the boss.

I really dislike when a game does this. I hate hunting hearts just for the last temple/boss. I know if I just try it will 3/4 of the hearts I will probably beat it. I'd prefer most bonuses be accessable midway though the game so I can get more use out of them.

Not a "bad" Zelda, but its low on my list. Keystones, bleh. Although I did enjoy the difficulty, which is way above LTTP. The whole Sky area and temple were really tough, but I happened to beat the end boss first try, go figure. Didn't know that was supposed to be that bad. Havent gotten around to Oracles, but word is they are coming to the WiiU eshop so I will get a chance in a few months.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Over the past couple of months I've gathered together OoT 3D, MM, WW, TP and SS. I didn't set out with the plan to accrue them all at once; it just kind of happened. Anyhow now I have them all I'm planning to play through all the 3D Zeldas in order (because why not?), but I'm wondering if either of the DS games are recommended?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think you should play Minish Cap. Link's hat is a duck, and apparently that's important to you.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Raffles posted:

Over the past couple of months I've gathered together OoT 3D, MM, WW, TP and SS. I didn't set out with the plan to accrue them all at once; it just kind of happened. Anyhow now I have them all I'm planning to play through all the 3D Zeldas in order (because why not?), but I'm wondering if either of the DS games are recommended?
Depends on who you talk to. Probably worth trying PH at least if you get the opportunity, it uses the touchscreen really well.

The main complaint seems to be having to continually revisit the temple, and I can sympathise, but it's designed so that every item you find allows you to shortcut another bit of that, so you're not solving it identically every time. I enjoyed finding the shortcuts personally, but plenty of people obviously didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

The DS Zeldas are pretty sweet, as long as you are open for something that's a bit different than the normal Zelda, and has much less exploration/sidequests.

Is there any way to access Master Quest in Zelda 3D without beating the game first? Don't want go through it yet again to play MQ, and find MQ boring because I just beat the normal game.

And also; someone should totally put together a new Year Of Zelda, I need an excuse to play through Zelda II.

• Locked thread