Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lblitzer posted:

It's still showing T-Mobile for me and I'm not seeing AT&T's name anywhere on the site.

I bought one for $1 last week on eBay. Activated fine today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lblitzer posted:

It's still showing T-Mobile for me and I'm not seeing AT&T's name anywhere on the site.

Must depend on your zipcode then:

That's from net10sim.com

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Think it's possible to buy a Net10 one and activate it on StraightTalk? I'm thinking not but StraightTalk got me off to a pretty rotten start. Their site has been hit or miss for me lately and when I signed up a few nights ago with a phone kit I bought I chose to port my number in but was never given the screen to enter my previous account info, so instead they gave me a new number... Not sure if they'll be able to do it anymore and I feel like I wasted $45.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

While looking for good APN settings to get MMS, I noticed something I missed in Straight Talk's TOS:

Apparently, if you're on GSM Straight Talk, you'll roam and be able to use voice and SMS services but no data. Guess I'll be able to test this in May when I possibly head out of town for a bit.

Straight Talk TOS posted:

Service on the GSM Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the GSM network, your Straight Talk Wireless phone may roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk GSM network coverage area. When your Straight Talk GSM phone is roaming, Voice and SMS messaging will continue to be available to you at no additional charge. Mobile Web Services access will not be available while you are roaming outside of the Straight Talk GSM Network coverage area. When your GSM Straight Talk Phone is roaming, an indicator light on your handset may display the word "Roam" or "RM" on the screen while the phone is not in use.

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/terms%20and%20conditions/

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

While looking for good APN settings to get MMS, I noticed something I missed in Straight Talk's TOS:

Apparently, if you're on GSM Straight Talk, you'll roam and be able to use voice and SMS services but no data. Guess I'll be able to test this in May when I possibly head out of town for a bit.

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/terms%20and%20conditions/

I turned on data roaming (a check box in the phone settings) and had EDGE data while roaming onto at&t towers with my straight talk Tmo Sim. Granted edge is slow as poo poo, but it's data nonetheless.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

I turned on data roaming (a check box in the phone settings) and had EDGE data while roaming onto at&t towers with my straight talk Tmo Sim. Granted edge is slow as poo poo, but it's data nonetheless.

Only Tmobile can roam on data but I didn't know that ATT could roam into...something for voice/sms.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I just ported my iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 4S to net10. It was quite confusing as it doesn't go down like any other prepaid provider but they went through in about an hour. I went to unlockit.co.nz to generate an apn to get data working. iMessage wouldn't work for an hour and then randomly started. I cannot get mms to work and am thinking jailbreaking is my only option at this point. Not sure why the apn settings are inaccessible. Have any pros here figured out the best way to regain iPhone functionality on net 10 and want to save me some time? Their forums are garbage as they take every issue offline and no help is posted.

Thanks!

I figured it all out and here is what I came up with for posterity and helping others in the future. I ended up jailbreaking and installing TetherMe for $5. I think there may be a free version but my research showed this worked gangbusters. After jailbreaking I changed the APN settings to:

Cellular Data : tfdata
Mms: tfdata
Mmsc: http://mms-tf.net
Mms proxy: mms3.tracfone.com:80
Mms max msg size:1048576
Mms us prof: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

This worked perfectly and was sending picture messages to non-iMessage folks. I grabbed Youmail from the app store forwarded my voicemail to it and I have Visual Voicemail (via the app, not native) again. This is the best set up now I believe as I have all the functionality of a post-paid AT&T set up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

My sister is asking: what's the phone to get for Straight Talk Verizon? Can you just get an unlocked phone and use that? I don't know how Verizon phones work versus something from, say, the Nexus line.

Going to reask this: what's the best option if one wants to go Verizon prepaid?

The Straight Talk website confuses me. I can't figure out how you can tell which service you are getting when looking at phones or coverage information.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Uthor posted:

Going to reask this: what's the best option if one wants to go Verizon prepaid?

The Straight Talk website confuses me. I can't figure out how you can tell which service you are getting when looking at phones or coverage information.

Page Plus is probably better for a VZW phone on prepaid. Pretty sure you have to buy one of StraightTalk's CDMA phones for use on Verizon's network. Like this guy here

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

Page Plus is probably better for a VZW phone on prepaid. Pretty sure you have to buy one of StraightTalk's CDMA phones for use on Verizon's network. Like this guy here

This is correct. In order to be on Sprint or Verizon with Straight Talk, you have to buy one of the phones that uses their service that's a branded Straight Talk phone.

Only the GSM Network of Straight Talk allows you to bring your own phone.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, I'm on Straight Talk, and for probably the 6th month in a row the exact same thing has happened: around the 2 week mark in my month of service, my speeds clearly get throttled. According to the data tracker on Cyanogen, I never use more than 2gb, never do big crazy spikes one day, don't stream anything, etc. Totally normal usage. But I get throttled and speeds suck for the next 2 weeks until the plan renews and the auto-pay goes through. I live in Chicago, am on an AT&T SIM, and use a Galaxy Nexus. Of course tech support is completely no help, and say "no your account has not been throttled" when they probably don't even have the ability to pull up any details like that in whatever crazy city in the world they are operating from...

Is this a common thing? I'm about ready to try to find cheap GSM alternatives.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SB35 posted:

I appreciate it. Your second link is taking me a page that says "session expired". I'm assuming you were linking to the Galaxy Proclaim...

EDIT: Wait, your link works after I added a zip code.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ShaneB posted:

OK, I'm on Straight Talk, and for probably the 6th month in a row the exact same thing has happened: around the 2 week mark in my month of service, my speeds clearly get throttled. According to the data tracker on Cyanogen, I never use more than 2gb, never do big crazy spikes one day, don't stream anything, etc. Totally normal usage. But I get throttled and speeds suck for the next 2 weeks until the plan renews and the auto-pay goes through. I live in Chicago, am on an AT&T SIM, and use a Galaxy Nexus. Of course tech support is completely no help, and say "no your account has not been throttled" when they probably don't even have the ability to pull up any details like that in whatever crazy city in the world they are operating from...

Is this a common thing? I'm about ready to try to find cheap GSM alternatives.

Its not Straight Talk, it's AT&T doing it.

The problem is that, apparently, the Net10 hard cap of 1.5gb/mo or 50mb/day is also on Straight Talk but not officially announced.

AT&T have placed this restriction on Net10 without telling TracFone why. I checked around XDA and HowardForums and this is happening to a lot of ST AT&T users.

T-Mobile isn't as greedy with data so switching to them can fix the issue but they're not as expansive as AT&T.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

The problem is that, apparently, the Net10 hard cap of 1.5gb/mo or 50mb/day is also on Straight Talk but not officially announced.

AT&T have placed this restriction on Net10 without telling TracFone why. I checked around XDA and HowardForums and this is happening to a lot of ST AT&T users.

T-Mobile isn't as greedy with data so switching to them can fix the issue but they're not as expansive as AT&T.

Net10 (same parent company as ST) just approached it differently. Instead of some random cap in which they throttle you, they set it up so you will just not have any data. If you can keep your data under that, it's probably the smart play as you know what you're going to get. If you don't mind the EDGE speed that ST throttles you to, that may be the smarter play as there is continued data usage after you hit the soft cap.

How slow is the ST throttling? I've heard people complaining, but I presume they're streaming video like crazy. I was using Pandora on T-mobile EDGE no problem so I can imagine for my use case the ST throttling wouldn't impact me much.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Net10 (same parent company as ST) just approached it differently. Instead of some random cap in which they throttle you, they set it up so you will just not have any data. If you can keep your data under that, it's probably the smart play as you know what you're going to get. If you don't mind the EDGE speed that ST throttles you to, that may be the smarter play as there is continued data usage after you hit the soft cap.

How slow is the ST throttling? I've heard people complaining, but I presume they're streaming video like crazy. I was using Pandora on T-mobile EDGE no problem so I can imagine for my use case the ST throttling wouldn't impact me much.

Apparently, it's about as bad as Sprint (which is just about the slowest you can get, honestly).

There are people complaining who've done nothing wrong. No streaming or anything and they're still throttled for no reason.

AT&T is putting pressure on ST and Net10 supposedly because of them losing customers to the two prepaid carriers which use AT&T's towers.

If I could jump to a T-Mobile thing, I definitely would. AT&T is starting to throw a hissy fit because people only like their service and not them as a company.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So ST and AT&T looks dead for the foreseeable future. Even the ST sims are selling for 80 bucks or so on Amazon. Net10 AT&T sims seem very plentiful. What's the catch?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

TLG James posted:

So ST and AT&T looks dead for the foreseeable future. Even the ST sims are selling for 80 bucks or so on Amazon. Net10 AT&T sims seem very plentiful. What's the catch?

Costs more and is capped at 1.5GB a month of data.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm wondering with T-Mobile LTE probably coming at the end of the month if this will extend their prepaid coverage a bit. With this whole Straight Talk AT&T ordeal I would be happy to get on the T-Mobile bangwagon if it expanded their coverage.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hop on Net10 and switch to ST if/when they get their poo poo together? That is if you do not need more than 1.5GB of data. For the price I think it's pretty fair for what you're getting. I don't stream a lot of video on the go, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm on Virgin Mobile. I bricked my phone doing a series of things that are not recommended, because I am dumb. It's rooted. Can I just call them and get a replacement? Do they care at all? I managed to really mess it up, will they care at all how it happened? Literally bought it last week - would I be better off just returning it under the 30-day policy?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm on Virgin Mobile. I bricked my phone doing a series of things that are not recommended, because I am dumb. It's rooted. Can I just call them and get a replacement? Do they care at all? I managed to really mess it up, will they care at all how it happened? Literally bought it last week - would I be better off just returning it under the 30-day policy?

Rooting can void the warranty, unfortunately, and carriers may refuse to fix or replace it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ThermoPhysical posted:

Rooting can void the warranty, unfortunately, and carriers may refuse to fix or replace it.

At this point, I doubt they can tell. It only boots into "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." and recivery mode doesn't work either... but they probably still can tell, honestly. That's their business.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Return it, don't try to get service, don't do a series of things that are not recommended next time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Straight Talk isn't listing ATT sims any place I can see on their site. Walmart list them as Not Available at this time. Are they dropping it as an option?

edit: Never mind, I didn't read all of this page before I posted because I am a dumbass.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stick100 posted:

Return it, don't try to get service, don't do a series of things that are not recommended next time.
Did, didn't, and won't. Suffice it to say I've learned a series of lessons.

...they didn't even ask about rooting :D

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Straight Talk isn't listing ATT sims any place I can see on their site. Walmart list them as Not Available at this time. Are they dropping it as an option?

edit: Never mind, I didn't read all of this page before I posted because I am a dumbass.

Still a valid question why they are still sold out and haven't restocked. We were told they would be restocked by now, it's starting to get a little concerning.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Still a valid question why they are still sold out and haven't restocked. We were told they would be restocked by now, it's starting to get a little concerning.

They went away and came back on Net10. StraightTalk is a partnership with Wal-Mart though, so I'm guessing that ATT wants more data caps; Wal-Mart doesn't and neither side wants to back down.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Considering how AT&T is loving over Tracfone with Net10 (and seemingly the same way with Straight Talk), I wouldn't be surprised if:

A. TracFone is slowly moving to T-Mobile and is using Straight Talk, one of their most popular GSM MVNOs, to start it on. Thus, they don't need the SIMs anymore.

B. AT&T is refusing to supply with more cards simply because they would rather not have more prepaid customers.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if both were true.

There are rumors flying on XDA and HowardForums that ST doesn't do AT&T anymore as people who have called them have gotten this information.

Whatever the real answer is, Tracfone can't be happy with AT&T right now.

e: For right now, anyone who needs a SIM card for AT&T, check out this list of US GSM MVNOs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

It's pretty much AT&T/T-Mobile as that's all we have here in the US, BUT AT&T is really only going after Straight Talk and Net10...for now.

Can we have this link put into the OP?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 20, 2013

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

A few things: how can ST advertise one thing yet not deliver it? Also, this happens before I hit 1.5gb/mo. What are my options if this keeps happening? Just leave? I left T-Mobile's prepaid for ST because I needed the broader coverage AT&T offered. T-Mobile is a joke outside of most major metro areas.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ShaneB posted:

A few things: how can ST advertise one thing yet not deliver it? Also, this happens before I hit 1.5gb/mo. What are my options if this keeps happening? Just leave? I left T-Mobile's prepaid for ST because I needed the broader coverage AT&T offered. T-Mobile is a joke outside of most major metro areas.

Your only option, really, is to leave ST for another of the AT&T MVNOs that the US has. You can find them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators. For now, AT&T is only seeming to target TracFone's MVNOs.

As for why they do this, it IS technically unlimited...if you're on Sprint or T-Mobile. Verizon and AT&T are against it (AT&T more so).

This isn't even ST's fault, really. AT&T is putting the pressure on TracFone as they don't like losing customers to prepaid carriers. I honestly think that, if Walmart and Tracfone had their way, it would be 100% unlimited but AT&T refuses to budge.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I am selling a 1 month ST card for $43. I made a thread in SA Mart, if anyone is interested. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539728

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Reading more on the ST AT&T thing, it looks like AT&T is trying to drop anything from America Movil (owners of TracFone), which owns Straight Talk and Net10. It's weird because AT&T owns a good deal of AM's stock.

After someone on Howard Forums checked around, it seems that TracFone favors AT&T (which would make sense as they're mostly AT&T anyway) but AT&T is turning on them.

Red Pocket is not owned by America Movil and does not advertise unlimited internet (it's 2GB/mo). It's also $60 but there are no reports of being disconnected or randomly shut off because you have a hard cap. It seems that customer service is a lot better on RP than it is ST too.

Anyone wanting to switch to RP, it specifically has a section in their TOS that mentions tethering by name and they prohibit it. They also prohibit downloading mp3s in an illegal fashion but they prohibit downloading them legally. So, I suppose you can download a song from Google Play (or iTunes) and they won't bitch you out randomly unlike ST.

I'm thinking of jumping ship to RP, honestly. This thing that AT&T is doing with American Movil MVNOs is kind of annoying and troubling.

For those with iPhones, RP actually states you will not be able to use MMS on your phone unless you can "manually access the iPhone's APN settings". Basically, they hinted at jailbreaking and if you DO, they have instructions on getting MMS to work. This might be kind of geeky of me, but I kind of like that they acknowledged it. :3:

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar
I can't seem to find a clear answer to this after days of Googling:

I'm switching my aunt over to Net10 (T-Mobile SIM) from T-Mobile because she's tired of paying so much. The caveat is, she wants to tether and Net10's TOS prohibit it.

She's buying a Nexus 4, which puts the usual suggestion of FoxFi/PDANet+ out of the question for masking her when she wirelessly tethers. She could tunnel her traffic but that's too complicated for her. So, my question is: if she sets up her tablet and laptop with an Android user agent and uses something like Open Garden to network all the devices together, is she safe from packet inspection? Does Open Garden provide any added obfuscation over the N4's built in hotspot?

Hotspots like FreedomPop offer too little for too much (she streams both Spotify and Netflix).

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Afterlith posted:

I'm switching my aunt over to Net10 (T-Mobile SIM) from T-Mobile because she's tired of paying so much. The caveat is, she wants to tether and Net10's TOS prohibit it.

She's buying a Nexus 4, which puts the usual suggestion of FoxFi/PDANet+ out of the question for masking her when she wirelessly tethers. She could tunnel her traffic but that's too complicated for her. So, my question is: if she sets up her tablet and laptop with an Android user agent and uses something like Open Garden to network all the devices together, is she safe from packet inspection? Does Open Garden provide any added obfuscation over the N4's built in hotspot?

Hotspots like FreedomPop offer too little for too much (she streams both Spotify and Netflix).

Instead of tethering for Netflix, could she get a SlimPort cable for her N4 and use that to display Netflix directly on her TV/monitor?

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="413676315"]
Instead of tethering for Netflix, could she get a SlimPort cable for her N4 and use that to display Netflix directly on her TV/monitor?

She could do that but that still leaves her laptop out in the cold for internet.

Afterlith fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 22, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Afterlith posted:

Personally, this is already complicated enough that you're just asking to be on the phone with your aunt every week with tethering issues.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Afterlith posted:

You want both a phone and something to stream Spotify and Netflix to multiple devices? Why not get a cheap phone plan and get a normal broadband like DSL/Cable then use WIFI? Anything else seems like madness for a non-techie to deal with.

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar

Stick100 posted:

You want both a phone and something to stream Spotify and Netflix to multiple devices? Why not get a cheap phone plan and get a normal broadband like DSL/Cable then use WIFI? Anything else seems like madness for a non-techie to deal with.

I agree but if she gets a phone plan cheaper than $45 without 3G, she's going to be handicapped when she's out and wants to stream some tunes or navigate. Broadband in Seattle starts at $50 for the first 6 months and gets more expensive from there. God forbid she picks Clear(wire).

That's at least $100 a month versus figuring out a tether solution that saves her $55 a month.

Honestly, I think the best choice is just to get her 2 gigs a month on the side with FreedomPop for $18 a month and have her stream Netflix in SD. Based on my bullshit calculations, that's like 600 minutes of streaming a month.

Afterlith fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 22, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Afterlith posted:

I agree but if she gets a phone plan cheaper than $45 without 3G, she's going to be handicapped when she's out and wants to stream some tunes or navigate. Broadband in Seattle starts at $50 for the first 6 months and gets more expensive from there. God forbid she picks Clear(wire).

That's at least $100 a month versus figuring out a tether solution that saves her $55 a month.

Honestly, I think the best choice is just to get her 2 gigs a month on the side with FreedomPop for $18 a month and have her stream Netflix in SD. Based on my bullshit calculations, that's like 600 minutes of streaming a month.

If you are doing SD streaming I think the 1.5 mbps ($10 per month) might be enough. Freedom pop is pretty cheap looking at it.

"The most believable numbers I've found are 1.5Mbps for SD, 3Mbps for DVD quality, 5Mbps for HD quality and 8+ for 1080 on PS3. I don't see Netflix offering official numbers, but playing with Speedtest.net and testing by adding bandwidth eaters like VPN connections until I saw the quality degrade."

http://superuser.com/questions/256867/netflix-streaming-how-much-bandwidth-does-it-use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I have an old motorola triumph laying around and i want to sell it. Does virgin mobile still allow the $25 activations on these devices? I remember they got rid of it, but then it made a comeback a while ago.

• Locked thread