Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I just signed up for a Newsgroupdirect 50 connection account and for some reason, my downloads won't go faster than about 700 KB/s. With the 20 connection Usenetserver account I just cancelled, I was getting at least 2 MB/s. Any idea what I should look at that could be causing the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet

Same backend as UNS. Don't worry if you miss it, they say "limited time only" but it's up for most of the week.

Thank you. I've been getting a stupid amount of server errors and incompletes with supernews and came in here to ask about a new provider. 4 bucks cheaper a month and instantly up to 10MB/s on the first connection, this is awesome.

visuvius posted:

I just signed up for a Newsgroupdirect 50 connection account and for some reason, my downloads won't go faster than about 700 KB/s. With the 20 connection Usenetserver account I just cancelled, I was getting at least 2 MB/s. Any idea what I should look at that could be causing the problem?

The first thing to check would obviously be the port. with SSL enabled, my client wants to default to 119, but NGDs ssl ports are 563 and 80.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

visuvius posted:

Thanks for this and I'm about to sign up for it but how the hell does this even work it looks too good to be true? Why is the price so completely different from this page:

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/signup/

Pretty much every USP runs specials that you can only find by googling the USP name + special or by clicking a referral link through one of the newsgroup review websites.

Powershift posted:

Thank you. I've been getting a stupid amount of server errors and incompletes with supernews and came in here to ask about a new provider. 4 bucks cheaper a month and instantly up to 10MB/s on the first connection, this is awesome.

You might notice some difference when it comes to missing articles but overall the same percentage of files will be incompletes. I just started a Supernews sub after being on Astraweb for ages, I'd probably buy that NewsgroupDirect offer if I hadn't just bought a 500GB block from them about a month ago :negative:

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Is SuperNews/Giganews responding to takedown notices these days? Almost every single thing I've tried to download so far is gone/incomplete.

This never used to be the case (I realize this is a similar issue that someone recently posted, but I'm wondering why)...

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
They've been responding to them since forever. It's the requests that have ramped up. If it's down on Giganews it will most likely be down on all US providers and probably most or all of the NL ones, or at least soon to be anyway.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Trash Heap posted:

I asked before, but is anyone using the SABNZBd suite add-on with openELEC?

I did, it's outdated by maybe a year if not two. Couchpotato runs on V1 and Sab and Sickbeard are functional but outdated versions. There is an updated repo someone makes on the OpenElec boards but that guy almost changes around the programs to accomdate torrents better or some nonsense.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Pretty much every USP runs specials that you can only find by googling the USP name + special or by clicking a referral link through one of the newsgroup review websites.

You might notice some difference when it comes to missing articles but overall the same percentage of files will be incompletes. I just started a Supernews sub after being on Astraweb for ages, I'd probably buy that NewsgroupDirect offer if I hadn't just bought a 500GB block from them about a month ago :negative:

I've actually been able to go back and grab some 1000+ day old stuff that was incomplete on supernews. It might just be luck of the draw, but so far i'm happy. I'm up around 3TB a month these days so unlimited is my only option, I was on astraweb for a few years, but identified them as the bottleneck speedwise, likely due to distance.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
For real, supernews is great.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Ask me about transforming into a semi and trucking over defenses.

YouTuber posted:

I did, it's outdated by maybe a year if not two. Couchpotato runs on V1 and Sab and Sickbeard are functional but outdated versions. There is an updated repo someone makes on the OpenElec boards but that guy almost changes around the programs to accomdate torrents better or some nonsense.

It was pretty simple to setup again. Thus far, I'm only using sickbeard. Have to figure out how to get nzb.su indexer into couchpotato.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

crm posted:

mylar is a pretty good one for comics. I've contributed code to it, I like it that much :D

Flaggy posted:

PirateDentist posted:

Mylar? Can't say it's current status though. I've never used it.

This one was a nightmare as well, I kinda hope for a fully sickbeard like one for comics, or just a better understanding of python.

On Saturday I thought "I wonder what ever happened to that Mylar program, the one that was supposed to be Sickbeard/Headphones for comics". So I ran it.

It then reported that I was 109 commits behind. I ended up trashing my install and setting it up again to get a clean install. I then brought up that day's 0-list, and was able to add comics on the list to the "wanted" category about 4/5 of the time, and it is able to use my NZB.SU login to log in and find issues. It is then marked them as snatched, and drop the NZB in the SABNZBD NZB blackhole.

I am currently fighting it with to update the database once it has downloaded, mainly regards to everything SABNZBD tries to download it runs through sabtosickbeard.exe, probably because the "default" category is overriding the "comics" category, but I'll play with it some more. My original SABNZBD install was rather heavily tied to sickbeard, and I think I'm paying the price for it now.

In any case, it's progressing quite nicely, however major features are still missing, such as ability to recognise an existing set of comics, so it's something you might want to keep in mind for the future.

evilbastard fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 19, 2013

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there some trick I need to do to have sabnzbd stop downloads when it detects a passworded file? I have the setting enabled but couchpotato has found several files that are passworded and ask me to go to a shady as gently caress website to unlock it. Is there a special keyword or something to help filter them out?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Drevoak posted:

Is there some trick I need to do to have sabnzbd stop downloads when it detects a passworded file? I have the setting enabled but couchpotato has found several files that are passworded and ask me to go to a shady as gently caress website to unlock it. Is there a special keyword or something to help filter them out?
That was a passworded rar within a rar and sabnzbd doesn't detect that.

You need to use get nzb files from a better site.
NZBClub and some other indexes will warn you about that.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 19, 2013

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

That was a rar withing a rar and sabnzbd doesn't detect that.
SABnzbd will process rars within rars and nzbs within nzbs (if an nzb is all it downloads), but not if one of the rar sets is password protected, as his was.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My couchpotato has decided to requeue my library. It is just adding the exact same file with a .1 at the end. I stopped it and deleted the queue (is there a way to batch delete in sabnzbd? edit: nevermind, found that) but it just added it again today. What's up with this?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I finally gave up on Spotweb, the fork I was using appears to be abandoned and I was getting all sorts of fakes and mislabeled stuff recently.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

My couchpotato has decided to requeue my library. It is just adding the exact same file with a .1 at the end. I stopped it and deleted the queue (is there a way to batch delete in sabnzbd? edit: nevermind, found that) but it just added it again today. What's up with this?

Mine's doing the same thing. I cleared out everything on my "Wanted" tab and am starting over.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Jonny Quest posted:

Mine's doing the same thing. I cleared out everything on my "Wanted" tab and am starting over.

Mine too. Last two days in a row it started re-downloading my whole catalog.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Canuckistan posted:

Mine too. Last two days in a row it started re-downloading my whole catalog.

Me too! Bit annoying to wake up and see 110Gb queued up!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Jonny Quest posted:

Well that's one thing I've never understood. Things would always get snatched, downloaded, and processed, yet still remain in the Wanted tab. Some things would move over to Manage, but I don't know how. On the Home screen under Still Not Available are a bunch of items that have already downloaded too.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

modeski posted:

Me too! Bit annoying to wake up and see 110Gb queued up!

Hey, there's an update:

2.0.7.1 Fix: Endless downloading of same releases

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Starting about a week ago pretty much everything I try to download on Blocknews is failing with not enough blocks. We're not talking old files either, almost all of them <50 days. It sounds like from this page alone that's happening everywhere? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to switch from Blocknews to something else or if Usenet as a whole is just hosed now.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I tend to get "Unpacking failed, CRC Error" cropping up lately. I have Astraweb and a 1TB block plan on another backbone. What the hell is causing this and how do I solve it? I hit retry and it fails. Is this from DMCA takedowns or is this a hosed up rar or passworded rar inside a rar? That said, if I initiate the download of the exact same file a second time it appears to complete without issue.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 20, 2013

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

MagnumOpus posted:

Starting about a week ago pretty much everything I try to download on Blocknews is failing with not enough blocks. We're not talking old files either, almost all of them <50 days. It sounds like from this page alone that's happening everywhere? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to switch from Blocknews to something else or if Usenet as a whole is just hosed now.
I don't think there's ever been a time in all the sabnzbd+/usenet threads when it hasn't been the going advice to have both a primary and a back-up server.
If your primary is good, the back-up will only get hit in rare cases to fill in blocks (when it will be a life-saver) and so should last a very long time if it's a non-expiring block plan -making it a very smart buy.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Canuckistan posted:

Hey, there's an update:

2.0.7.1 Fix: Endless downloading of same releases

Phew! Seems to be happily running the new version.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I've got a nzbs.org problem I can't get rid of.
Ever since it got "hidden", I've been unable to access it via Chrome. I use the /login URL-extension; I get to the nick/pw page with a Punch In This Awesome Text App - but it fails there.

I don't have this problem with IE, but it's a hazzle to send to SABnzbd from IE.

Any pointers? Like clearing the cache, turn off addons etc? I've done this already, but I have a feeling I'm just loving up at a basic level, and I need a goon to point out my mistake.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Do you use lastpass? I know on some sites that rotate captchas, lastpass will save them and override whatever I put in for that session.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

I tend to get "Unpacking failed, CRC Error" cropping up lately. I have Astraweb and a 1TB block plan on another backbone. What the hell is causing this and how do I solve it? I hit retry and it fails. Is this from DMCA takedowns or is this a hosed up rar or passworded rar inside a rar? That said, if I initiate the download of the exact same file a second time it appears to complete without issue.

When I was getting a bunch of CRC errors, it was due to a failing hard drive. Run diagnostics on the drive to make sure it isn't failing. If it passes, there may just be something messed up with your directory structure, so run chkdsk/fsck/whatever depending on your OS.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Anyone know where the working Startup folder on Windows 8 is? Or why my Sickbeard isn't starting on boot when there's a shortcut in one of the Startup folders I managed to find?
With no regular Start Menu I can't remember where that actual directory is on the drive.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sunblood posted:

Anyone know where the working Startup folder on Windows 8 is? Or why my Sickbeard isn't starting on boot when there's a shortcut in one of the Startup folders I managed to find?
With no regular Start Menu I can't remember where that actual directory is on the drive.

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Yeah its a bit poo poo.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 20, 2013

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Whiteycar posted:

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

:psyduck:
Thanks.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

On a related topic is there a simple way to get sickbeard to launch in startup on OSX?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Raffles posted:

On a related topic is there a simple way to get sickbeard to launch in startup on OSX?

Google "Sickbeard Launcher" its a nice little app that works.

Unfortunately it has trouble keeping it running on Mountain Lion - Python will eventually get hung and you have to force quit and relaunch from the menu bar icon.

Apparently this is something to do with launching Sickbeard as a daemon, but thats about all the information I can find on it- no solution yet.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Is there a different place to talk about GooNZB things?
I just got an invite :dance:

edit: It also came across as for something called "sadchub" so don't delete it if you see something like that. I almost tossed it in the spam folder until I looked at the sender's email

Sunblood fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 21, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Same! I've been running one for myself, but would gladly shut it down in favor of relying on the GOONZB project instead.
Also indeed, once Amazon/PayPal/Whatever payments are set up, some :10bux: can be earned back.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Would the GoonNZB server have Headphones API calls enabled? Nzb.su has it disabled because it apparently makes a billion calls every API cycle rather than caching information to minimize the calls.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Which reminds me... if I have the OpenElec plugin that includes SABnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, and Headphones, is there a way to delete HeadPhones or prevent it from starting up at boot? I had it load in my library on a whim and now I'm really wishing I hadn't.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I was clapping my Dorito stained hands together when the invite came in. So what's the best way to integrate with Sickbeard?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Same way as any other newznab site. You just need two pieces of information, the domain (from the URL) and your api key (click your username). Enter those in the "Search Provider" pane of SickBeard's settings.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Which reminds me... if I have the OpenElec plugin that includes SABnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, and Headphones, is there a way to delete HeadPhones or prevent it from starting up at boot? I had it load in my library on a whim and now I'm really wishing I hadn't.

In the XBMC Add-on area go to Services or Programs, I forget and go into the configuration for SabnzbdSuite. There is an option to both enable and disable there. Honestly I'd go find the updated repo some guy is making on the OpenElec boards as that suite has more or less been abandoned by the developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah that's the one I'm using actually. Didn't realize it had settings within XBMC, thanks!